Extreamly bad Service from Smith & Wesson

PDA

frankd4
March 10, 2010, 06:47 PM
Smith & Wesson Worst all time customer service in the world for two days now I have called their customer service number at 800-331-0852 been on hold for twenty minutes then transferred to a voice mail box where you leave your name and number then no one calls you back.
I bought an M&P 15 from CDNN Sports that had a Five P-Mags rebate form I filled the form out did every thing I was supposed to do mailed it in three months ago when I went on line to see what the hung up was their rebate service says that there is a duplicate serial number claim number, so I called CDNN and they said to call Smith & Wesson
So I have been calling them no one returns the calls and I still do not have the five mags, I was looking at the CMMG AR and only got the Smith & Wesson because of the rebate I will never buy another Smith & Wesson product again not because of the mags but because of their lack of respect for their customers and right now I am not feeling that warm and fuzzy about CDNN Sports as they only seem to pass the buck, Think twice about spending your hard earned money with either one of the two.

If you enjoyed reading about "Extreamly bad Service from Smith & Wesson" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ClickClickD'oh
March 10, 2010, 06:52 PM
Very unusual. S&W usually has very good customer service, and is most certainly far from the worst (Hello Taurus).

Have you tried sending an email to them? qa@smith-wesson.com

Perhaps you'll get a better response that way.

EddieNFL
March 10, 2010, 07:11 PM
I will never buy another Smith & Wesson product again not because of the mags but because of their lack of respect for their customers...

I dropped them when they made a deal with the devil.

youngda9
March 10, 2010, 07:20 PM
Charlie Daniels has a sweet song about that.

mljdeckard
March 10, 2010, 07:28 PM
Is it possible that SOMEONE ELSE ALONG THE CUSTODY CHAIN of the rifle already snatched the code and redeemed it to get some free mags? Just sayin'.

earlthegoat2
March 10, 2010, 07:30 PM
Rants about companies CS are kind of getting old.

Smith has good service in general and this is an isolated incident that you should really not take personally.

I will not use this information to never buy another Smith and Wesson product but maybe catalog it in the back of my memory for future use as another company that cannot make everyone happy all the time.

I feel your pain in this but once again this is the internet with the rule of 10ths. Smith customer service is only one 10th as bad as the internet portrays it just as is the case with Taurus, Ruger, etc.

bflobill_69
March 10, 2010, 07:31 PM
See what happens when you embrace the Hilary Hole?

mljdeckard
March 10, 2010, 07:33 PM
I tend to agree. We have become so spoiled to instant gratification that we are surprised when there is a process that can't be done instantly. There are only so many people on the phone. There is a process to resolve every complaint. The mail can only move so fast, no matter how much you pay for anything.

KBintheSLC
March 10, 2010, 07:38 PM
My experience was poor too. Bought a new 637 that turned out to be a lemon... warped frame, crooked barrel, and large BC gap. Returned it once, they did nothing to it and sent it back. Called the head of CS who was not helpful, then decided to send it back again with a letter from my friend who is an attorney and another from the gunsmith. We had to threaten to sue them to get them to replace the gun. I like the replacement gun they sent, but I doubt I'll buy another S&W again.

bhk
March 10, 2010, 07:42 PM
Although I haven't had to use them often, I have found their service to be great.

Deanimator
March 10, 2010, 07:52 PM
S&W's customer service is either excellent or hideously awful. There seems no in-between. I experienced both in the same incident. I sent my 4" Model 29-2 in to them to have the forcing cone recut and the barrel set back. They damaged the barrel when they did it and lied about it. After a lot of runaround, and a letter to their corporate counsel from my attorney, a VP got involved and they more or less "fixed" things by paying for ONE of the replacement barrels I had to buy and refinishing the gun (which destroyed its value). Now I've got a really pretty, mostly worthless gun.

jfh
March 10, 2010, 07:56 PM
I've used S&W CS several times now.

The latest was last week, when I sent in a 360 with a sticky chamber. It left here on Monday, March 1, via two-day FedEx on S&W's dime. On Thursday, I checked the delivery status--it had arrived Wed. On Monday, March 8, I received a postal letter acknowledging receipt. On Tuesday, Mar 9, FedEx knocked at the door with the 360.

No complaints.

Jim H.

danez71
March 10, 2010, 09:34 PM
Rants about companies CS are kind of getting old.

Smith has good service in general and this is an isolated incident that you should really not take personally.

I will not use this information to never buy another Smith and Wesson product but maybe catalog it in the back of my memory for future use as another company that cannot make everyone happy all the time.

I feel your pain in this but once again this is the internet with the rule of 10ths. Smith customer service is only one 10th as bad as the internet portrays it just as is the case with Taurus, Ruger, etc.

Agreed.

Nothing against this particular OP but its absurd the way some people who dont get their way when they want it and on their terms take their rant to the internet to blab their one sided story to the world in an attempt to essentially bully their cause.

Its one thing to be informative but its another to bully your own cause.

Ive "called" SW customer service 3 times. One time they seem to have phone problems I think may have been weather related because when I selected my option it never even rang... just went to never never land.

But in all 3 cases, I got a hold of a person and each time I felt like they actually went out of their way to help me and my odd request.

If you want a good demonstration of lack luster CS... wallyworld.

StuartTX
March 10, 2010, 09:34 PM
When you experience a problem with a rebate you are almost always going to have to deal with the promotions company that is handling the rebate. Being difficult and inefficient is part of their business strategy. They make less money each time a rebate is successfully processed. The sad part is that this reflects poorly on Smith & Wesson because their name is all over the materials, not the promoter's name.

DFW1911
March 10, 2010, 09:45 PM
I'm really surprised to hear this. My experience with S&W has been very good.

Then again, I mainly deal with the Performance Center, and the folks there are fantastic.

Maybe find a way into the company by asking for Sales, then explain what's going on and see if they can help get you the service you need.

Good luck. I know that poor customer service (like Taurus) can be infuriating. Hang in there!

Hunt480
March 10, 2010, 09:49 PM
I've had two experiences with S&W one fair, one bad. Can't win all the time. Although I like my Smiths,I hate to say it the Ruger customer service beats Smith in the ground. There is no comparison and you would think it would be the other way around from there price differences. With that said I still like my Smiths...

waldonbuddy
March 10, 2010, 09:51 PM
I actually like to read about problems with companies. For one it lets me make a decision to do business with said company.

I have gotten crappy service with an auto parts company. Tried to resolve the issue with them first. Then I posted the problem on the net. Got a private message from the company owner, and the problem was fixed. I then posted the fact that the company fixed my issue.

I think the internet is the best thing to happen as far as keeping people from loosing money dealing with crooks, and it helps to keep companies straight.

I to had a bad experience with S/W customer service. I tried several times in a three week period to call them with no success. I left my name, and number in their voice mail and not ONE call back.

I finally gave up. I still like their products, but IMO their customer service could use some help.

Mot45acp
March 10, 2010, 10:21 PM
S+W customer service charged me $100 for the factory recall work on a 586. Cylinder would bind so bad it took a rubber mallet to unload it. They returned with a form. The "Work Completed" column was blank but the bill was $100.

The gun works now but between that and the ILS I'm not buying any new S+W products. A used 686? yes please.

Ruggles
March 10, 2010, 10:33 PM
My 1 time experience with them was great as well.

And the company that dealt with Clinton is not the current S&W, totally new owners. Time to let that die IMO.

Deltaboy
March 10, 2010, 11:54 PM
I had great service from Smith on my Sigma I sent in to the man in TX and it was there and back with in 5 days and I had bought it used and Smith sent me 2 free mags.

Jimmy76
March 11, 2010, 04:45 AM
Had a very similar situation with S&W CS recently. Called last Friday, operators were all busy, call back at a later time. Called again this past Monday, operators were all busy, left a message. Never got a call back so I called Wednesday around 12:00pm and got right through. Spoke with Larry and he was very helpfull with pistol and magazine issues. They're sending me shipping labels for the magazines and for the pistol to go back to S&W.

I was starting to get very irritated by the lack of response so I can appreciate the OP's side. Once I talked to a real person, my mood changed for the better. Hopefully they'll remedy the issues I'm having and maybe hire some more CS personnel to speed up the initial response time for S&W customers.
Good Luck
Jim

Patriotme
March 11, 2010, 05:36 AM
I bought a S&W MP15 last October. I just got my 5 mags about a week or so ago. I called S&W about a month ago about the mags and the customer service rep said they are really behind in sending out the mags and they will come. I've been looking on AR15.com and several owners are complaining about how slow the delivery is on the 5 mags from S&W. I've got a bunch of magazines so I just wanted to make sure that they were eventually coming. As long as I was in the system I was ok waiting. They were cool about it and apologized. I got the feeling that they either sold a lot more rifles then they expected or never got the supply chain straight before hand.
You are not alone. They'll get there.
I would send them an e-mail if you think your paperwork is messed up.

SMMAssociates
March 11, 2010, 08:20 AM
The magazine promos seem to be insanely slow.... I ran into this a couple years back when I bought an M&P40. Took forever.... I was lucky enough to get mine long before I really cared, but....

However, checking the S&W forum here pretty well defined the trend, and I didn't bother calling or e-mailing anybody. Somewhere before panic might have set in, a package showed up....

(I forget how long - two to four months, though, and right before S&W closed out that promotion. The date that the promotion ended was quite clearly indicated, though. Of late, Walther stopped providing a second magazine with the PPS series guns, almost out of nowhere. This has upset a few people - some of whom appeared to have seen a magazine article or ad that said that you got two mags with the gun and then gotten to the store and finding out that there would only be one....)

About the "Hilary Lock".... With the exception of a P22 that I've since sold for other reasons, I don't buy guns with 'em.... There are enough potential malfunctions in a cheap .22 (for example) that make 'em unsafe for carry already, and that's just multiplied when you deal with the larger calibers. Kind of a "who cares" for range guns, but if I'm going to depend on it, it ain't gonna happen.

As to the "deal with the devil", that's long gone.... It was stupid, but Bangor Punta is/was a British company, and they were more concerned with the Law Enforcement side of the business than anything else. Glock kinda ate their lunch anyway, although the M&P handguns may be as good as they ever were, and certainly worth a look nowadays.

Regards,

Sav .250
March 11, 2010, 08:40 AM
Lousy customer service can be found everywhere. Seems to be the norm with some good customer sevice sprinkled here and there.
Stay the course and keep your inquires flowing. Maybe you should try an
e-mail to the CEO of S&W. Your the customer......full speed ahead! :)

content
March 11, 2010, 08:53 AM
Hello friends and neighbors // sounds like someone at CDNN or at the FFL who recieved it used your code after the sale.

Unless you know and trust the FFL and everyone involved in the store personally I'd start there.
I trust my FFLs but there are lots of people with access in their stores.

TexasBill
March 11, 2010, 09:07 AM
I've always had great service from Smith & Wesson. The "Hilary Hole" doesn't bother me as I never use it. I don't care what they did to stay in business during the Clinton era. I also don't care what Bill Ruger did. I am buying a gun, not politics, and I am really bad about boycotts, from table grapes to TV shows.

22-rimfire
March 11, 2010, 09:48 AM
If I had to guess, the majority don't send in for their rebates. I know on the last two cell phones I purchased, there were $50 rebates on each and I didn't bother and I misplaced the paperwork.

Rebates take time.

REAPER4206969
March 11, 2010, 12:56 PM
Amazing service! I said I need a new striker, he said name and address?
Less then 45 seconds! Here is the line you need to call: 1-800-331-0852 Extension-2904
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=510762&page=2

Warhawk83
March 11, 2010, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by mljdeckard Is it possible that SOMEONE ELSE ALONG THE CUSTODY CHAIN of the rifle already snatched the code and redeemed it to get some free mags? Just sayin'.

+1 to that.

A few years ago I bought some new goodyears for my truck and was supposed to receive a $50 gas card. 1 month, no gas card, 2 months, 3 months,no gas card.Through the course of the investigation, it was for some reason shipped to the tire store rather than my address. So basically a tire jockey got a tank of gas on me.

Kingofthehill
March 11, 2010, 01:22 PM
I spent $1,100 on a M&P AR-15 Magpul edition. The buffer tube's threads were messed up and they said contact Magpul. magpul said contact Smith or the shop i bought it from... the shop said contact smith. Smith said no go and i offered to buy the replacment part and they said they don't sell it and to contact Magpul... called magpul to BUY the part and they only sell it complete with the Stock so they wouldn't help me either and said to contact Smith to see if they had a spare laying around.

I have 9 S&W's right now, i'll never buy another.

JOe

Deanimator
March 11, 2010, 01:35 PM
I spent $1,100 on a M&P AR-15 Magpul edition. The buffer tube's threads were messed up and they said contact Magpul. magpul said contact Smith or the shop i bought it from... the shop said contact smith. Smith said no go and i offered to buy the replacment part and they said they don't sell it and to contact Magpul... called magpul to BUY the part and they only sell it complete with the Stock so they wouldn't help me either and said to contact Smith to see if they had a spare laying around.

I have 9 S&W's right now, i'll never buy another.
Find a lawyer who'll write you a threatening letter for a nominal fee. Odds are they'll cave. It's S&W's product and their warranty of merchantability. Of course the shop sold you supposedly defective merchandise. If there hasn't been an unreasonable lapse in time, they're probably on the hook to take it back or exchange it.

SwampWolf
March 11, 2010, 01:50 PM
Regarding the long-standing grudges held against S&W, Ruger (and others, I suppose) for their admittedly inexcusable past misdeeds, geez guys, get a life and move on. If we can forgive the Japanese and the Germans, it would seem that we could grant clemency for a couple of gun companies who have apparently seen the error of their ways and have been rehabilitated.
Like it or not, we're all in this fight together to save our right to keep and bear arms and, to me at least, it seems wise to restore and nurture friendships in the firearm community rather than nurse old grievances at the cost of forever fracturing our unity.
Hope to see some of you at the NRA Convention in Charlotte come May!

Deanimator
March 11, 2010, 01:59 PM
Regarding the long-standing grudges held against S&W, Ruger (and others, I suppose) for their admittedly inexcusable past misdeeds, geez guys, get a life and move on.
I said I'd never buy a new Ruger as long as Bill Ruger lived. He's dead, so if I had a job (and a place to shoot a rifle), I'd buy one of their piston ARs.

S&W doesn't currently make any revolver I'd own, and that's what they make that I'd possibly want. I buy nothing but handguns and all of the S&Ws I've bought have been revolvers. Other than my Model 17, they all have a secondary self-defense application. I would NEVER trust my life to a S&W revolver with the lock. It's a lousy design and S&W shouldn't be rewarded for producing a lousy product.

grilledcheese
March 11, 2010, 02:15 PM
I purchased a M&P 15 from CDNN in December, and sent in the free mag offer a week later. Brochure said eight to ten week delivery time, and the mags showed up at nine weeks.

Guess I got lucky for once.:cool:

Oh, and I'm fairly certain I DID NOT use frankd4's serial number...:what:

Jeffrey

eye5600
March 11, 2010, 02:38 PM
Regarding customer service from all companies, y'all might be seeing an effect of the Obama-boom in sales. If they sell 50% more guns, there are going to get 50% more service calls. Actually, they may get more than 50% more since so many of the extra buyers were first-timers.

Not to say they shouldn't staff up for it, but there are problems with that. Telephone reps are not too hard to find, but they have to be trained. If they could get a new gunsmith for, say, fixing revolvers, they would have to find a bench, and tools, and whatever. Plus traingin, plus subervision. And they know they are going to want to shrink the CS operation down again in a year. Bottom line is they ramp up late, and not enough. More mistakes are made, and service times get longer.

351 WINCHESTER
March 11, 2010, 03:35 PM
Years ago I sent them a worn out 66. They replaced the barrel & cylinder free. About 10 years ago I sent them a 63 that needed some work and they charged me. The work was done correctely, but so much for their lifetime warranty.

earlthegoat2
March 11, 2010, 09:46 PM
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401969

Defense Minister
March 12, 2010, 01:40 AM
The whole S&W mag rebate thing has frustrated me in the past, too, although it was with an M&P40. Try emailing them instead of calling. It worked for me. And, if you haven't noticed, more and more companies are forcing customers to go to their computers if they want customer service, like it or not. It's just the way the world works these days.

SMMAssociates
March 12, 2010, 01:53 AM
Defense Minister:

I'm a "night people", and at 0400 I'd rather send an e-mail than try to call somebody. Either you get a help desk in Mumbai, or a recording (maybe on your nickel) suggesting you call back at some hour when you're likely going to be asleep....

My only problem is that the e-mail support people may not be a lot better than the folks in Mumbai.

Many decades ago, a friend was having problems with CompuServe. He e-mailed tech support: "I'm able to send e-mail, and access other forums, but I can't get SHEEPFORUM' to work." Their response: "Check your modem settings." :D

This sort of thing seems to happen to me all the time. Three or four messages to convince 'em that there's actually a problem, and, often, to tell them what it actually is. The other day I got a bill from FedEx for $40-ish. About $10 more than the last shipment of the same check to the same address in the same FedEx envelope. An e-mail complaint resulted in "check our e-mail estimator", which, btw, agreed with me. When I told 'em that I'd be calling another shipper, a supervisor turned up and fixed the thing....

I really shouldn't have to take the time to teach 'em....

But, yeah, it's easier for me to do this by e-mail....

Downside, of course, is a buddy of mine who's nominally a gun collector and, when it's working, really doesn't understand how to get his e-mail off his computer. His brother insisted that he get one....

(The FedEx thing - my sister would be late for her own funeral, and I'm handling some bank accounts for mom that result in me sending her checks she uses for rent. Naturally, she needs 'em overnight by the time she remembers to pay said rent.... Someday....)

Regards,

el gato
March 12, 2010, 08:34 AM
I am beginning to think this is an industry wide problem. Have you tried Sig yet? Dont hold your breath waiting on someone to call you back.

Gouranga
March 12, 2010, 08:53 AM
I would use email. it may be a pain but one thing email does do, is give you a trail in case it goes really south. Then you are not in a court room playing he said/she said. You are showing sets of emails detailing how you tried to solve the problem without the courts and how you were treated each way.

Put yourself clearly in the CC on the email, the may get the message just from that.

The situation you describe is common. I work in IT consulting and a LOT of clients i go to suck at CS. A lot of them not "deliberately", but because of a total breakdown/disconnect between their front line support and management. It costs them tons of dollars and the biggest issue ends up being that the problem is organic (human based) in nature and not easily solved. I would try email, OR another route. Call the S&W sales department. Tell them what has been happening and how you are going to be holding off on any future S&W purchases until someone can take care of you.

Sales departments have completely different motivations than CS.

Guy B. Meredith
March 12, 2010, 09:16 AM
My experience with S&W has been excellent. But then, I've not been to them often as my revolvers don't seem to break.

I think that "deal with the devil" stuff is drivel. S&W lavishly supports the firearms sports. I have participated in the International Revolver Championship matches and the prize table looks like a major gun shop's inventory of S&W product. I have a PC 627 V-comp and M66 from their largess.

Lee Roder
March 12, 2010, 10:08 AM
My service experience with S&W has also been less than stellar.

My revolver's been back for broken studs, yes two of them. So far.

First time, trigger stud broke, cost me $40 to fix under their Lifetime Warranty. More recently the hammer stud broke! Charge this time was only $0 but I had to call over month later to track the gun. Found it hadn't been shipped yet. Next day I had it.

Long story short, while the stud repair was good, my "custom" bead blasted cylinder had been replaced with an old stock stainless one my gun originally had. My fault I know now but I was in a hurry to meet FEDEX's deadline the day I broke the gun and shipped it back to Mass. You know this but I'll say it here just for the record - NEVER EVER EVER SEND THEM ANYTHING YOU WANT TO KEEP! Both times I paid shipping one way, either to (expensive) or from (cheap).

To date, my recoil slide and cylinder stop studs has managed to stay strong. Knock on wood

Oregun89
March 12, 2010, 02:34 PM
I have had nothing but great service from S&W in regards to my Walther P99. Just a few weeks ago I called to order the sight retaining pin which I had carelessly broke. The man on the phone took my info and mailed me the part. I was probably on the phone for less than a minute. The part came in a few days at no cost to me.

eschang1
March 12, 2010, 02:43 PM
I've had perfect service with S&W. My 1911 was shooting high and to the right. The set screw for the rear sight was stripped so I could not drift it. I didn't want to drill it out and risk damaging the gun, so I called S&W. They sent me a prepaid return label and I shipped the gun. A few weeks later (because of Christmas/holiday closure), my gun came back with an extra magazine, new grips, and front night sight. It also shot perfectly straight. No complaints.

c919
March 12, 2010, 03:07 PM
Well, I'm sorry you had this problem, but I feel quite confident that S&W will make it right. They always have for me.

And hey, be glad you went w/ the M&P. It's an awesome gun.

SMMAssociates
March 12, 2010, 04:56 PM
My M&P40 (more of a range gun for me than anything else) arrived with both front and rear sights mis-aligned. I fixed 'em myself.... Doesn't look too bad :D....

Really don't know what they were thinking.... The gun shot way to the left, and I finally looked.... I prefer 1911's for carry, but I can see why the M&P is so popular.

Many years ago, now, I blew up a Combat Commander for the second time, and sent it to Colt (by way of my dealer) to see if they would certify it, and perhaps fix the problem.

(I'd defined the problem for them - the frame was damaged or mis-machined. It was OK for light loads, but couldn't handle ordinary loads without trashing the barrel.)

Their response was to quote me about $400 to remove all the aftermarket parts and replace them with "genuine Colt", and then wouldn't warrant that the gun wouldn't pop again, 'cause they weren't going to try to fix the frame....

(Note that this gun was willed to me, the guy who owned it was into custom target loads, and I didn't expect a freebie.)

They sent my dealer a letter to that effect, and held onto the gun for a response. My dealer, naturally, forgot to tell me about it.... About another month later I got it back....

What frosted me, of course, was the idea that all they were willing to do was to undo what had been done to the gun, and that was all essentially cosmetic in terms of the frame problem.... Insisting on changing the tires because a car won't start....

I think I mentioned my buddy's new Kimber (4" "Commander"-sized Series II) going back four times. Each time they fixed all kinds of unrelated things, but never quite go around to the real problem. The gun wouldn't return to battery properly due to the Swartz Safety mechanism.... He finally just decided to "wear it in", and put another 500 rounds or so through it. It now works quite well, but he won't wear it.

Regards,

mxl
March 12, 2010, 05:50 PM
Learn how to spell "extreme".:evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "Extreamly bad Service from Smith & Wesson" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!