2" Ruger SP101 DAO .357 Mag or 2" S&W M10 .38 Spl

PDA

Boulder
March 11, 2010, 02:01 AM
Just wondering what you guys would choose and why...

5 rounds of .357 Mag or 6 rounds of .38 Spl +P...

For CCW, primary...

If you enjoyed reading about "2" Ruger SP101 DAO .357 Mag or 2" S&W M10 .38 Spl" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gunteach2010
March 11, 2010, 04:44 AM
Boulder, I've done both, and I'd be fine with either of them. But, my 2-inch Model 10 has a butter-smooth action, which my Ruger does not. I can shoot it without conscious thought and so for that reason, I'd go with the .38. But honestly, I think it would just come down to which one you shoot best and what you really like when you fire it. I think you'd be well armed with either choice.

pezo
March 11, 2010, 04:12 PM
Same opinion here. I have the 2 1/4" dao ruger (.357 mag) for primary ccw. I keep it loaded with .38+p 125 SJHP's. I believe that is enough power for me. I would see about renting or shooting both to see what you llike better. Their is no wrong awnser. I can tell you that at tops remington 125 grain .357's mags are the limit of comfort for me to shoot in the sp101. They are the lightest recoiling I've found. I wont shoot many of them and I wont shoot 158's or heavier due to recoil or blast. Shooting mags out of the sp101 would only be beneficial in my opinion if an attacker was directly on top of you or darn close. That would be like a flash bomb effect. Anything requiring good aim and shot placement as well as follow up's would be better served with a good .38+p round. The shorter casing's however extract easier out of the magnum guns as well. I like the versatality of the magnum in larger guns, but I am a .38+p for defense shooter.

RatDrall
March 11, 2010, 04:25 PM
If the S&W has a round butt I'd take that.

If the S&W is a square butt, they don't balance well with a short barrel like that, I'd go with the Ruger.

If you enjoyed reading about "2" Ruger SP101 DAO .357 Mag or 2" S&W M10 .38 Spl" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!