Smith and Wesson/Winchester 32ctg

PDA

tat719
March 11, 2010, 03:11 PM
I inherited this gun from my Dad and want to know the age of it and realative value. The serial number is 36750 it has a swing out 6 shot cylinder.

If you enjoyed reading about "Smith and Wesson/Winchester 32ctg" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Steve C
March 11, 2010, 04:03 PM
Need model and pictures to be able to give some evaluation on condition or to make out what model pistol it is.

rcmodel
March 11, 2010, 04:36 PM
Yep!

Please read the Sticky post #1, at the top of this forum for info needed to make a positive I.D>

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=372213

rc

Old Fuff
March 11, 2010, 04:41 PM
Actually we are in luck, because while Smith & Wesson made a lot of different .32 model revolvers, they only made three that were a six-shot/hand ejector/Winchester .32 Ctg. and the serial number pin-points which one.

The official model description is: S&W 32-20 Hand Ejector, Model of 1905, 2nd. Change.

This variant was made during 1906 and '07, within a serial number range running from 33,501 to 45,200.

The .32-20 cartridge was originally introduced by Winchester for use in they're lever action rifles and carbines, but both S&W and Colt offered revolvers that could fire the same round. This made it possible to carry both a rifle and handgun that used the same cartridge.

These revolvers had 4, 5, 6 or 6 1/2 inch barrels, and either a round or square butt. Note that they did not have heat-treated cylinders. Value depends on condition.

If you enjoyed reading about "Smith and Wesson/Winchester 32ctg" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!