Heritage arms

PDA

qwert65
March 11, 2010, 08:38 PM
Hi,
I'm looking for a SA .22 to plink, possibly shoot varmits if the rifle isn't handy, and play cowboy with(hence the SA)
I was looking at the Ruger Single six but then noticed the heritage which is a lot cheaper. Keeping in mind that you get what you pay for. How good are these little 22's? Is it just throwing away 200 bucks to buy one? Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Heritage arms" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SWAddict
March 11, 2010, 08:42 PM
I have one. Got it for Christmas. Damn good gun. The one I have came with a 6-shot .22LR cylinder and a 6-shot .22Magnum cylinder. It has a nice trigger, is very accurate, and fun to shoot. It's build quality is not as refined as others as it seems to use a number of cast parts. But for plinking, and shooting snake and other pests it is great. And I have not had a single issue so far with it. You really can't go wrong with it. And it has a bit of Old-West charm to boot!

jad0110
March 11, 2010, 09:21 PM
My first Heritage Rough Rider I sold, stupidly, a few years ago. The gun worked great, looked like crap, but it didn't matter. It was fun to shoot and I regretted selling it ever since. So last year I ordered another Heritage Rough Rider Combo (with 22 LR & 22 Mag cylinders) with a 5.5" barrel from Bud's Gunshop for $150 (no tax or shipping), paying a $25 FFL fee.

Like most Rough Riders, this one has fixed sights. Many don't shoot to point of aim, but this one does. And my personal preference is for fixed sights on single actions - IMO, I just don't like the look of big bulky adjustable sights on the smooth classic lines of a SA.

Anyway, like my first Heritage, this one works flawlessly. It points very naturally, and has proven to be very accurate. The trigger pull is reasonably smooth, though there is some creep and a lot of overtravel. The finish is actually fairly decent for a gun at this price point. Overall, the fit and finish seem improved significantly over the gun I owned a few years ago.

Overall, a very fun gun that I don't mind tossing in my safe without cleaning, unlike my K-22 which I clean after every outing:

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q139/jad0110/Heritage%20Rough%20Rider%2022LR%20and%20Magnum/136.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q139/jad0110/Heritage%20Rough%20Rider%2022LR%20and%20Magnum/141.jpg

mongo4567
March 11, 2010, 09:36 PM
A good friend of mine bought one, he wanted a smaller revolver with the birds head grip. It shot well and looked better than I expected for the money.

qwert65
March 12, 2010, 04:30 PM
Excellent, thanks guys!

If you enjoyed reading about "Heritage arms" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!