Who thinks Old Fuff should write a book?

PDA

cyclopsshooter
March 12, 2010, 01:24 AM
Everywhere I turn for high road information on Colts, Smiths, 1911s, wheel guns, pre-war, post war and now even Kings custom sights... always the most detailed descriptions filled with purpose and history- Cast a vote if you would buy an Old Fuff gun encyclopedia.

Hey, what happened to the poll option?

If you enjoyed reading about "Who thinks Old Fuff should write a book?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
azyogi
March 12, 2010, 01:36 AM
I've read enough of his posts to want to buy that book

BHP FAN
March 12, 2010, 01:45 AM
He's over on the Black Powder forum as well.The man is informed.

mptrimshop
March 12, 2010, 01:46 AM
he gots skillz...i'd buy it.....unless i found a place to download it for free...LOL

mbt2001
March 12, 2010, 01:49 AM
I think Old Fluff and SM both should write a book.

MarineOne
March 12, 2010, 02:24 AM
^ x2.

Cosmoline
March 12, 2010, 02:27 AM
I'd buy one.

bannockburn
March 12, 2010, 06:26 AM
Just A book? The gentleman, as he has demonstrated so often here, could easily write volumes on what he knows. I would buy the entire set.

buck460XVR
March 12, 2010, 07:53 AM
The gentleman, as he has demonstrated so often here, could easily write volumes on what he knows. I would buy the entire set.

That's what I like about this place. Why buy the cow, when the milk is free.:evil:

19-3Ben
March 12, 2010, 08:04 AM
Old Fuff seriously know stuff. Got a random S&W from 1914? He'll tell you the serial number, original finish, bbl length, etc... It's amazing.

I'd buy two copies of his book. That way, I can read it twice!;)

Quoheleth
March 12, 2010, 08:07 AM
I would buy a copy.

And while we're getting THR members to write, get RCModel to write one on reloading. That man has forgotten more than I'll ever know.

I can write one on creatively placing shots AROUND the bullseye, in what seems to be a random pattern, to help those around you feel better about their skills. :neener:

Q

kingpin008
March 12, 2010, 10:13 AM
I can write one on creatively placing shots AROUND the bullseye, in what seems to be a random pattern, to help those around you feel better about their skills.

Hate to break it to ya, but I've patented that technique. You'll be hearing from my lawyers. :neener::neener:

Old Fuff
March 12, 2010, 10:31 AM
Well I’m overcome… Should I start a fan club??? :D

Occasionally someone wants me to write a book, or simply sit down with a tape recorder… The problem is that each individual wants me to focus on whatever subject they are particularly interested in. Another issue is that my typing is a lot slower then it used to be, which makes a recorder look better and better.

Anyway, what I do here is answer specific questions, which is really what most members want. Then of course I get to answer those questions that I want to, and ignore others that I wouldn’t be so good at. :uhoh:

The big advantage of this forum is that there are other members that in certain areas know a lot more then I do. Take “1911Tuner” for example – he has forgotten more about the mechanics of a 1911 pistol then I’ll ever know, and his unmatched expertise also comes to our members, as well as others – for free. There is a gentleman who should really write a book, or put out a video.

No matter what you want to know, there will be someone who can give you an authoritative answer. The Old Fuff is only one of an exclusive bunch.

And as been pointed out, books, videos, etc. cost money. The High Road comes free.

Oh, if I ever find the time I might write a book, but first I'd have to decide what it should be about. ;)

MikePGS
March 12, 2010, 10:47 AM
Old Fuff, RC Model, SM, 1911Tuner, Stephen Camp, Jim Keenan and Jim March should each write a chapter in a giant gun bible.
I'd be willing to help publish it any way I could :)

Warhawk83
March 12, 2010, 10:55 AM
I think old fuff should write a book, Rc Model has answered a few questions and given advice for me as well.

FROGO207
March 12, 2010, 03:04 PM
The knowledge that is available here is the best on the web IMHO. Thanks to all those at THR that have filled the (often large) gaps in my personal quest to become better informed about firearms.:cool:

hso
March 12, 2010, 04:27 PM
"The Collected Musings of Old Fuff" shouldn't be too difficult to produce for anyone willing to take every useful post from himself and string it all together in categories so the Old Fuff could then edit it.

qwert65
March 12, 2010, 04:29 PM
That's actually a good idea

Wildyams
March 12, 2010, 04:38 PM
for anyone willing to take every useful post from himself and string it all together in categories so the Old Fuff could then edit it.

anyone up for going through 15k+ posts over the span of 8 years? haha, that would only take a little bit of time

MikePGS
March 12, 2010, 04:46 PM
Hmmm that might not be so bad if you were to break it down by category.

19112XS
March 13, 2010, 12:34 AM
I'd pay money for "The Collected Musings of Old Fuff". His knowledge is both broad and deep.

I might buy a video of 1911Tuner if it only showed him from behind, or maybe just his hands. :neener:

Both of these men have taught us a tremendous amount, we're very fortunate.

CajunBass
March 13, 2010, 06:23 AM
Forget the gun stuff for a few minutes. I'll bet Old Fluff has lived an interesting enough life, and I don't know him from Adam, to write a very readable book about that.

svtruth
March 13, 2010, 08:17 AM
I'd buy two copies, one for me and one as a gift.

jaysouth
March 13, 2010, 08:22 AM
Actually, Mr. Camp has made his contribution to the publishing world. I recommend that anyone interested in HiPowers check them out.

The Lone Haranguer
March 13, 2010, 01:51 PM
I can't get enough stories about conversations with the old-time gunwriters, especially Charles Askins, who had a colorful career as well as writing style. ("I plugged that jazbo spang thru the brisket ..." :evil:)

danprkr
March 13, 2010, 04:38 PM
To be honest, I've never paid attention to any particular poster to much unless they're flaming me, or saying something stupid or offensive. Having said that I once had a chance to fix the refrigerator one of Claire Chenault's "Flying Tigers" It was the only call I made that day. Everyone else had to be rescheduled. I just couldn't quit listening to him. I wish I'd had a tape recorder with me that day. To my knowledge he's never written anything down. With that in mind I think anything that can be done to preserve the wisdom of those that know ANYTHING about ANY subject should be done.

420Stainless
March 13, 2010, 04:41 PM
Since I automatically open up any post that has his name visibly associated with it, I reckon I would.

GRIZ22
March 13, 2010, 09:06 PM
Old Fuff I think it may already be written. Just take your answers to questions on this forum and call it "Old Fuff's Answers".

There's already over 15,000 answers.

Old Fuff
March 13, 2010, 09:39 PM
There's already over 15,000 answers.

Well some might consider that a few of them were (intentionally) pure bunk.

Besides who wants to take any advise from an old foggy that's been known to carry an old Detective Special loaded with .38 mid-range wadcutters; named his pet S&W long-action M&P, "Old Junker;" and doesn't believe a decent 1911 pistol has been made since 1960...?? :D

Face it, the Old Fuff is stuck in the past when quality handguns were still hand fitted and made from steel, not plastic. He is so out-of-date he still shoots lead bullets, and thinks Single Action revolvers are fun. He is so old he once fired a few shots out of an ORIGINAL Colt 2nd. Model Dragoon (hit his target too). ;)

Well anyway, getting old is no fun sometimes, but we do have a good time.

Oh, with regards to an above post mentioning recorders. One day I got an unexpected chance to interview one of two remaining Arizona Territorial Rangers. He was in his 90's, and left us about 6 months later. While physically weak his mind was sharp as a tack, and during the 20 minutes or so that he talked and I listened I learned more about "real" (as opposed to "reel") frontier guncraft then I'll ever know from all the books I've read.

It was a great experience, but I forget to take my %^$$ recorder. :banghead:

cyclopsshooter
March 14, 2010, 03:26 AM
It was a great experience, but I forget to take my %^$$ recorder.

classic-

why does the old fuff dislike the original 70 series?

whitecoyote
March 14, 2010, 03:32 AM
How about starting a new section on the main page of The High Road, and maybe call something like "Ask Old Fuff"? :)

cyclopsshooter
March 14, 2010, 03:41 AM
"Ask Old Fuff"

i hope the mods are paying attention :)

Old Fuff
March 14, 2010, 10:08 AM
why does the old fuff dislike the original 70 series?

Well perhaps I did exaggerate a bit…

But the Series 70 used a barrel bushing that Browning would have never approved of that had spring fingers. Break one of those fingers and it was near impossible to get the pistol apart without destroying it. The bushing was a cost saving move intended to improve accuracy (which maybe is good) while not having to do any hand fitting (which wasn’t) when it comes to introducing a negative reliability factor. It was also around this time when other material and dimensional changes were made to reduce manufacturing costs and improve accuracy. I am also not a fan of plastic mainspring housings and trigger fingerpieces. Colt wasn’t as bad as some other makers in this regard, and today by current standards they make a pretty good pistol. But we have transitioned from a superior weapon (even if it rattled) to what amounts to a big-boy toy.

If anyone thinks that all those pistols Uncle Sam bought (not to mention commercial models made by Colt between 1912 and the early ‘60s) had to be fired between 200 to 2000 times before they’d function for sure… Well I have this bridge in Brooklyn that I’m selling at a real super price. :evil:

Old Fuff
March 14, 2010, 10:17 AM
How about starting a new section on the main page of The High Road, and maybe call something like "Ask Old Fuff"?

And is you going to hire me several good-looking, young lady secretaries???

I’m ‘spose to do all this and write a book too…??????? :evil: :D

content
March 14, 2010, 10:18 AM
Hello friends and neighbors // I always tune into Old Fluff's posts, Knowledge Shared is a wonderful thing. Thanks

Write several books and I'll buy them. For now I'm content reading/searching your old posts, Thanks Again

searcher451
March 14, 2010, 01:34 PM
I'm in -- especially if the book in question contains at least one robust passage of what an Old Fuff might be. I've hunted high and low and just can't seem to get an adequate definition. How 'bout it, Fuff?

HuntAndFish
March 14, 2010, 07:06 PM
I had just assumed that "Fuff" was slang for "Human Atavistic Phenotype".

:)

Old Fuff
March 14, 2010, 10:48 PM
Teen age kids are interesting prople if you can stand them... :D

If they like and respect you they may hang a funny name on you. If they don't they will simply ignore you best they can. There were two boys who told me one day after I'd helped them draft a school paper, "Thanks, you're our Old Fuff." :uhoh:

The name stuck... :)

Maia007
March 14, 2010, 11:18 PM
I will help in my own small way. If OF writes and publishes a book, I will buy it.

Elmer
March 15, 2010, 05:48 AM
'Fuff reminds me of my old friend Gene Wolberg, who was a walking encyclopedia on guns and ammunition. Gene, though a great student of others, got much of his knowledge by actually working on, and shooting guns..........lots.....

Same with 'Fuff, I'm pretty sure.....

Guillermo
March 15, 2010, 07:21 AM
I don't know what all this love is for Old Fuff. I mean come on, crumudgeony guy that hates new stuff, shotguns (new and old) and never posts pictures. Why does he even post his drivel?

doc2rn
March 15, 2010, 08:35 AM
+1 OF and RC have always come through when even the local gunsmith couldnt. So put me down for a copy!

KarenTOC
March 15, 2010, 11:18 AM
I'd love to see a "THR Q&A book" - a compilation of the best questions along with the definitive answers distilled from the responses given by all the above-mentioned experts. I think it would be a handy reference tool. And a lot easier than the search function :)

Officers'Wife
March 15, 2010, 12:59 PM
Maybe the more interesting read would be for him to reveal how he happened to acquire all this knowledge. I've often heard that in the school of hard knocks every lesson has a story to illustrate it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Who thinks Old Fuff should write a book?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!