birdshead grip

PDA

yotesmoker
March 12, 2010, 08:22 AM
I have been looking for a ruger vaquero with a birdshead grip for over a year now without any luck.I did find out that Midway has a stainless birdshead grip frame on their web site.It claims it is for the single six and vaquero.I thought that the single six frame was smaller than the vaquero frame.Am I right or wrong?

If you enjoyed reading about "birdshead grip" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RonBernert
March 12, 2010, 10:48 AM
I don't know about the frame size difference, but Brownell's says the exact same thing... BTW Brownell's has the bird head is Brass.. That would be a cool look!

yotesmoker
March 12, 2010, 06:22 PM
brownells no longer carries them

bannockburn
March 12, 2010, 07:38 PM
I saw that both Brownells and Midway carry a regular SA grip frame replacement for a Ruger. And both catalogs list the manufacturer as Power Custom. Maybe you could find Power Custom and contact them directly about a birdshead grip. I seem to remember that the Dillon Reloading catalog used to offer replacement grip frames as well; but I don't recall if they had the birdshead style frame.

BlkHawk73
March 12, 2010, 08:27 PM
The cylinder frames differ in size but the grip frames interchange. The same grip frame that fits a NM Single Six will fit a NM Blackhawk. Of course, fitting will be required and if steel, finishing will be needed as well. You'd also need the grip panel locator pin and trigger spring retaining pin. If going from a model with the internal locking device, you'll also need a new hammer strut, hammer spring, spring retaining pin and hammer strut seat.
Midway had 'em the other day.

6-gunfun
March 12, 2010, 08:32 PM
herritage has guns anywer from .22 through .45 long colt in a birds head grip

madcratebuilder
March 13, 2010, 07:50 AM
Grip frames are not a simple bolt on piece, you have to fit it the frame you are using. It may be real close between some guns but a replacement well be oversize so you can fit it.
This is a brass birdshead, they are no longer in production, I should have bought more of them when they were available.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/madcratebuilder/PICT0011Medium.jpg

BlkHawk73
March 13, 2010, 08:23 AM
Heritage ≠ Ruger!

If you enjoyed reading about "birdshead grip" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!