Ordering ammo online & appartment delivery

PDA

Tenacious B
March 12, 2010, 06:13 PM
Have you guys in apartments had any trouble with ordering ammo online and having it delivered?

Do the people in the office give you any trouble about it?

Are the packages obviously ammo?

I was planning on a few spam cans from J&G or AIM...

If you enjoyed reading about "Ordering ammo online & appartment delivery" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nathan
March 12, 2010, 06:24 PM
I had done it before without any problems. The problem is only space where to put it.

Texas Gun Person
March 12, 2010, 06:26 PM

Not obviously ammo, but anything that weighs as much as ammo does makes me think it is something... out of the ordinary. ;)

Small packages that weigh 30 pounds stand out. :D

BaltimoreBoy
March 12, 2010, 07:18 PM
The weight pretty much tells the tale. And you may hear the cartridges rattle a bit if they come in nice plastic trays.

Also it is still going to have a shipper's name on it like Midway or Double Tap.

You'll have to trust your management office. But I've seen no problems there for me.

Of course you already have to trust the UPS guy (or whatever) since he obviously will know too.

Average Joe
March 12, 2010, 07:22 PM
No , why should it, as long as its legal...No problem

AWorthyOpponent
March 12, 2010, 07:30 PM
I've done it. People at the office knew what it was and asked what kind of gun I had. Played dumb thinking, they were gong to hassle me about having guns. Turns out they were carrying and went to the range together all the time. Needless to say, we are good friends.

If it's gong to them, I'd see what their atttude was before doing It again at another complex. Still won't matter as long as it's done legally, but I'd do it out of caution. If they're really anti, they can't kick you out, but can sure hve you a really hard time if you're ever late on rent or something. Just my 2c

AWO

kingpin008
March 12, 2010, 07:31 PM
I've never lived in an apartment complex that required package deliveries to go to the office.

Jumping Frog
March 12, 2010, 07:34 PM
If you want privacy, use the local UPS center as your shipping address for counter pickup. Here is an example:

Mr. Jumping Frog
c/o UPS Customer Service Center
100 Main St.
Anytown OH 43200

I regularly have firearms-related shipments sent that way.

AWorthyOpponent
March 12, 2010, 07:34 PM
I've never lived in an apartment complex that required package deliveries to go to the office

mine doesn't require it, but it will go there if I miss it. Or if the UPS guy is feeling lazy that day. It's more of a courtsey than a requirement.

LaVere
March 12, 2010, 08:19 PM
I just got two boxes from [ Cheaper Than Dirt] Plain card board box Normal Fex Ex label and a one 1 inch by 1 1/2 inch black sticker with Yellow ORM-D printed on it. In fine print it said Consumers Commodity. No very many prople would know what it was. Not even gun owners would know. It is heavy.

jnyork
March 12, 2010, 08:24 PM
I live in an RV resort and all our mail goes through the office. I have received a case of .22 this winter, along with a rifle from the CMP and a rifle from an individual with the BARREL STICKING OUT OF THE PACKAGE ABOUT A FOOT!!! :cuss: :banghead: This being Arizona not a word said except a little joke about the weight of the ammo and the little old bluehair lady in the mailroom wanted to know all about the rifle as she fondly remembered days of elk hunting with her husband. :)

leadcounsel
March 12, 2010, 08:33 PM
May wanna rent a commercial post box for a few bucks. Last thing you want is your nosy neighbors knowing you own guns and ammo...

CWL
March 12, 2010, 10:20 PM
I think it needs to go to the office because ORM-D packages needs a signature (although UPS guys probably don't want to haul the box back and re-deliver if nobody is at home).

What is your apartment's policy about firearms? Some online ammo sellers ship it straight in the ammo carton.

I get my ammo delivered to my work office. Last place, the receptionist would page me with "your ammo has arrived".

conhntr
March 12, 2010, 10:52 PM
im a ups driver! anyway most of the ammo packages should have orm-d catriges small arms label on them. however an orm-d does not automatically require a signature. in addition like the posters above said most anyone that is completely oblivious can hold the box and guess whats in it based on return address.

depending on area and specifics apartments generally require a signature (if its gated/secure or in a REALLY nice area with low claims they might leave it). if your not home they are going to dump it at the office because more than 50% of apts usually arent home and that would pile up in a hurry.

now if you are on the top floor or otherwise have little foot traffic past your door you have a few options. one you can try to leave a note on your door with date, tracking number -- or who shipment is coming from, and "please leave package at door" with you name and signature. or even easier when ordering request shipper release option. however if you do either of these and the item gets stolen you will not be able to file a claim.

personally my ups driver knows that the passenger door to my beater truck will be unlocked when im expecting a delivery; he throws it on the floorboard then locks the door for me!

Straight Shooter
March 12, 2010, 10:59 PM

It depends.

If you buy a couple of boxes the retailer will take them out of the original case and put them in a smaller box which probably won't be easily identifiable.

However, if you buy a case, then the retailer may send you the original case as they received it which may be very identifiable.

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/160251000/160251155/pix521429562.jpg

W.E.G.
March 12, 2010, 11:11 PM
Generally, you can use a nearby UPS store as an alternate delivery location.

http://www.theupsstore.com/products/crs/Pages/altdelloc.aspx

I know UPS stores won't accept OUTGOING ammo shipments.
I wonder if they will accept INCOMING shipments?

Tenacious B
March 13, 2010, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the replies. It looks like UPS and FedEx both have customer centers pretty close by, so I'll probably go with that just to keep it simple.

Guns and more
March 13, 2010, 12:33 PM
Yes. But, even if not, do you want a package sitting on your doorstep while lots of people walk by. Heck, they may steal it and be disappointed it's ammo, but you're still out a package.
Package store delivery is the best option.

Avenger
March 13, 2010, 01:16 PM
Never heard a word from my old apartment manager about it, and I've had some 7.62x54r ammo crates delivered. Those puppies are HEAVY, and you'd think all the spray-painted Cyrillic markings would have gotten her attention. The new owners won't sign for packages, so now I have everything delivered to my work address. Being the (de-facto, at any rate) shipping manager helps... :D

Tenacious B
March 13, 2010, 11:42 PM
One of those crates is exactly what I plan on, the Mosin is hungry. (and my shoulder is sore:o)

The Lone Haranguer
March 14, 2010, 10:03 AM
I live alone and in an apartment and am typically not home during the day when the deliveries are made. I like to have packages sent to my workplace. However, that is not an option for everyone, especially when the package has to be labeled as ammo. In apartments that had on-site managers or offices (many do not, however), they would sign for and hold packages for me.

buck460XVR
March 14, 2010, 01:08 PM
Last thing you want is your nosy neighbors knowing you own guns and ammo...

IMHO, If your neighbors are that nosy that they know the UPS man is delivering ammo, they already know you own guns and ammo. :what:

If that scares you.......... you need to move.

conhntr
March 14, 2010, 01:33 PM
i open carried the entire day i moved in. been 3 years and no issues from the neighbors...

yosarian
March 14, 2010, 01:50 PM
Been living in apertments for 10 years and always order my ammo online and never had a problem.My last order from natchez was 400rnds and went to the office as I was not home the box it was packed in was a wolf 1000 rnd box that said as plain as day WOLF AMMUNITION 5.56X45 not a word was said by the office guys.

MrChevyCelebrity
March 15, 2010, 12:46 AM
Like many have said, I have had multiple ammo deliveries when I was not at home. Most times they were waiting for me at the office, once they just left it out on my doorstep(not too happy about that). Now I generally get it shipped to work as I would rather accept and sign for it.

sonick808
March 15, 2010, 05:10 AM
I live in AZ. It is encouraged that law-abiding citizens order as much gun stuff as they can possibly afford :)

the apt managers love knowing that i keep an eye on stuff, and the neighbors love knowing that if I heard something violent happening at any of their places (4 doors per building) I would come check, armed. I live in a pretty nice complex, and everyone here is very pro gun. My neighbors are mostly older or retirees and their kids like having me by their parents also.

The front office gets a kick out of the weird mix of collector crap i have coming. Constant flow of everything from TRS-80's to stand-up centipede machine to rifles and ammo.

It's hard to hide that i have guns when i'm constantly to and fro with rifle cases up and down the stairs into the car and back each weekend.

AZ rocks

KJS
March 15, 2010, 06:25 AM
Not exactly a secret when the UPS pack has that "cartridges -- small arms" sticker on it and the stunning weight for something of that size. Heavy like it has lead in it, because it does!

If you enjoyed reading about "Ordering ammo online & appartment delivery" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!