Open Carry in California

PDA

uwspmgc
March 12, 2010, 06:03 PM
so i recently discovered it is perfectly legal to carry an unloaded handgun in plain view in California. i don't want to get into the legalities of it here and anyone who is curious i recommend visiting www.opencarry.org. i'm hoping to find people who have experiance open carrying in southern Cali, specifically Oceanside. what is the general attitude of law enforcement and the public concerning open carry? am i just asking to get harrassed? thanks for any help you can provide.

If you enjoyed reading about "Open Carry in California" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Millwright
March 12, 2010, 06:07 PM
Not for long, bub !! Not for long !! The excremento trolls are already working to "stop up" this 'loophole of freedom'....... >MW

rm23
March 12, 2010, 06:26 PM
Well, there is the one cop who thought it was funny to write on his facebook account that open carriers should be shot, or at least be drawn upon.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/22516072/detail.html

Jumping Frog
March 12, 2010, 06:38 PM
Actually, I think it should properly be called "Open Unarmed Carry".

I open carry all the time in Ohio, but believe me, my handgun is loaded.

If you do decide to Open Unarmed Carry, be sure to carry a digital voice recorder.

Kingofthehill
March 12, 2010, 06:39 PM
I left CA in Sep 09' for Texas. If i would have known it was legal to OC, i would have done it.

My only suggestion... LEARN THE LAW... Study, Study, Study!... find a friend who will as well and you guys can go over different scenario's and try and stump each other. Basically quiz eachother.

Invest in a good audio recording device as well...

STUDY STUDY STUDY... just make sure you know those laws inside and out and dress nicely.

JOe

Tamlin
March 12, 2010, 08:44 PM
My understanding of how law enforcement views open carry here, and in particular, the open carry group that I think is based out of Escondido, is that they think it's a group of cocky guys showing off their stuff, akin to them playing "whose got the bigger penis." They think open carry is done strictly for the shock value toward the general public. They know it's legal, and I understand they will check the weapon to make sure it's unloaded, but they know they can't do anything to stop people from carrying.

And the public thinks these guys are turning the beaches into the wild wild west.

I just wish the law-abiding citizen could easily get a concealed carry permit. I would much rather carry concealed than open carry. John Q. Public would never know, and wouldn't freak out at the sight of an unloaded gun.

KBintheSLC
March 12, 2010, 09:24 PM
Yeah... it is legal, but the mentality in certain parts of the state can make it downright dangerous. Anywhere down south, and in most of the ultra-liberal urban areas you should expect to attract some attention from the cops. Now I wouldn't let that discourage you. Just comply and be respectful with the officer to show them that we are not all bad. CA has a very deeply entrenched anti-gun sentiment. I believe that it is changing, but remember that change comes slowly.

Beelzy
March 12, 2010, 09:47 PM
Oh, it's perfectly legal to UOC but expect to have someone make that "Man with a Gun"
call to the PD. Then the PD will show up and one of two things will happen:

1. The officer will ask to see the firearm and check to see if it's loaded, then he will run
it to make sure it's not stolen, then harass you about possibly being mistaken for a
Criminal as he hands your firearm back to you.

2. All of the above, except you will be "Proned Out" for the duration of the contact.

Depends on who answers the Call.......Sadly.

Kingofthehill
March 12, 2010, 11:11 PM
I don't know if it is the whole reason behind the Open Carry movement in CA but i think it is...

Its like Negotiating. Want us to stop Open Carrying? Then approve our Concealed Carry permit requests. out of sight, out of mind.

JOe

X-Rap
March 12, 2010, 11:33 PM
What ever it is good for them, I think in a few yrs. Cali will have shall issue and that will start the tide to complete the 50 states.

five.five-six
March 12, 2010, 11:40 PM
^ exactly!

Buck Snort
March 13, 2010, 10:11 PM
The liberals in the CA legislature will fight CC with a passion. They'll come up with 10,001stumbling blocks to stop it and dare gun owners to make them into stepping stones.

Kingofthehill
March 14, 2010, 10:39 AM
The liberals in the CA legislature will fight CC with a passion. They'll come up with 10,001stumbling blocks to stop it and dare gun owners to make them into stepping stones.

Thats fine.... then they will see an overwhelming growth in Open Carry to the point that they will grease the squeaky wheel. CC will be passed and it will turn into a Don't ask Don't tell situation.

JOe

Quiet
March 14, 2010, 12:58 PM
Most common pitfall to UOC (Unloaded Open Carry) in CA are gun free school zones.

You can not legally UOC within 1000 feet of a school zone.

So, if you do plan on UOC in CA, you need to know where all the school zones are at and plan your route/where you are going to UOC accordingly.

One of the benefits of LUCC (Locked Unloaded Concealed Carry) is that it is exempt from the gun free school zone restriction.

If SCOTUS rules in favor of incorporation, then it is highly likely that a favorable outcome will come about in Sykes v McGinness (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Sykes_v._McGinness), which is a lawsuit challenging the "good cause" requirement for CCW permit issuance in CA.

craneman
March 14, 2010, 02:37 PM
Well, I live in Oceanside. I have lived here for 27 yrs. I moved here from South Dakota and I have been around firearms my whole life. I am a huge supporter of 2A and CCW. However, it is my own opinion that in this particular town, in this particular time, it is probably not the best thing to do. I base this on the fact that I have been to every square inch of this town at one time or another (lived in a few of the gang infested neighborhoods) at all times of the day and night. I have NEVER personally seen any open carry. I doubt very seriously many people here have. That being said, I really think the vast majority of people that see you will FREAK out. The cops are going to show up in a hurry, and more than likely not going to be friendly about it. Realize that in the last several years they have lost a few of thier own to criminals with guns. One not very far from where I live. A lucky shot with a .22, but still gun crime directed directly at them, non the less. Believe me it is still in the back of thier minds. They are human, with families and children they love and want to go see at the end of the day. I, in all honesty, can't blame them for being a bit jumpy.

I have a few friends at OPD and a few casual aqaintences as well. Probably 2% of OPD know me or who I am. If they observed me in open carry, it would result in a friendly conversation about our choices on firearms, but contact for sure. The other 98% I am fairly sure would not be quite as enlightning or fun. Case in point. This really happened to me. I was outside of a bar downtown on a Sat. night, smoking a cigarette. On of my closer friends in OPD was walking a foot patrol with a partner, and we crossed paths. He was showing me his new Barretta service weapon. He let me hold it and look closely at it without removing the magazine or chambered round while standing on the sidewalk downtown :what:. Just as I was about to give it back an OPD cruiser drove by and the officer driving about broke his neck when he observed us :eek:. He came back quick. It all worked out good, we even still laugh about it from time to time. But it gave me the willys later on when I thought back on what could have happened as a result of the other officers misunderstanding. My point with all this is they are human and the reaction you get might not be favorable. I understand why. I don't agree with it, but "it is what it is". And thats all it ever will be here.

Heck, even going to the range at Iron Sights. They have asked me to "please carry my firearms in a container, when coming in to shoot". I have known of the legality of carrying it in plain sight, unloaded, but thier surrounding neighbors get pretty freaked out about it. They have been in that same building for at least 10-15 yrs. You would figure the neighbors would be used to it. They are not. I can respect that, they are just trying to run a business. A business, I might add, that I frequent, and if not for them I would have to go a long way just to do some range time ;).

I am far from a person that cowers from exercising ones rights. I am also a realist, and the quote 'leaving sleeping dogs lie" comes to mind. More education of the general public is needed before something like this won't get out of hand. I'm not sure how that will be accomplished in a positive way, but I do know that as firearms enthusiests and supporters of open and concealed carry, we are vastly outnumbered in SoCal. I mean outnumbered by a general populace that believes guns are scary, and anyone carrying one must be up to no good. Unless they are LE, or on duty military.

Good on you if you decide to exercise your rights. If I happen to see you, I'll be the first to buy you a cup of coffee, and shoot the breeze for a bit. I'm just saying, don't expect a happy encounter with OPD over this. I'm certainly not saying it is right, or should be tolerated. However, I do see where it comes from, and I understand it. just my $.02. Flame suit on.

Zoogster
March 14, 2010, 03:21 PM
Loaded unlicensed open carry in incorporated areas has been outlawed in public within California since the state legislator and Ronald Reagan signed legislation prohibiting it into law.

Open unloaded carry is only technically allowed because the law allows someone to transport an unloaded and unconcealed firearm however they wish.
Yet the Gun Free School Zone Act (the California version, not federal) prohibits such transport or carry within 1,000 feet of public or private schools.
This means open unloaded carry can be done for political reasons in pre-planned destinations, but is impractical and unrealistic for reasons such as self defense.

Most main roads and many side streets go within 1,000 feet of a school.
Whether you are in a rural area with only a couple main roads, or a highly populated city, you are unlikely to be able to travel without going within 1,000 feet of an elementary, middle, or high school, both public and private.

The context it is most practiced under is people traveling to a specific destination where then they put on holstered firearms, and spend some time in a limited area more than 1,000 feet from schools. They then take them off in order to actually drive anywhere afterward.
This does not translate into you can carry an unloaded gun during a typical day.

Zoogster
March 14, 2010, 03:28 PM
i'm hoping to find people who have experiance open carrying in southern Cali, specifically Oceanside.

Then you are in luck!

Here is a guy with experience legally open carrying an unloaded firearm in Oceanside.
It was a Marine on the 4th of July, 2008.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=375632

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=376270

In the end after the marine legally open carrying on the 4th of July was falsely arrested, and legal expenses were paid, I seem to recall everything worked out.
He was after all not breaking any laws, and only cost a lump of cash for justice to prevail.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=109497

The CalGun board I believe helped him out because it was such a perfect scenario: A marine on the 4th of July, right after Heller. No other charges existed, and it was very straightforward.
You may not be so fortunate, and charity only comes along so often.
However because of this guy and similar people many LEO departments have informed their officers of the law.
So you may not need to spend large sums of money on legal expenses, to do what is legal.

jmortimer
March 14, 2010, 03:38 PM
Unfortunately (as relating to firearms, taxes, illegal aliens, "green" laws, pollution controls on fast/powerful vehicles, etc) I have lived in ********** for over 50 years and anyone who thinks that we will have CCW in the near future is a fool. This state is run by "libtards" and we are near the top in stupid gun laws which are passed every year. We are bankrupt thanks to unions and libtards. As for open carry, thank God it is a growing movement and people are ready to be rousted by "the man." We had open loaded carry until a swarm of angry black men held an armed rally in Sukramento in 1968. The natural reaction was to ban carry of loaded weapons. I follow this movement closely and as stated above it will soon be outlawed. Further, it is a serious crime to have a firearm near a school (1,500 feet) so it is hard to open carry if you don't know where all the schools are. As for unloaded open carry, it is better than nothing as you can have loaded magazines or speed-loaders ready to go on your belt so you could be operational in a second or so if you practiced.

Zoogster
March 14, 2010, 03:47 PM
Further, it is a serious crime to have a firearm near a school (1,500 feet) so it is hard to open carry if you don't know where all the schools are.

It is 1,000 feet from school grounds.
Knowing where all the schools are is not hard:
http://www.cde.ca.gov/re/sd/

Staying away from them all without traveling in the craziest zigzag pattern imaginable and not venturing off course is.
It is highly unrealistic to manage to legally carry throughout a normal day with various errands and travel through an urban area.
Rural areas are often even worse because they have fewer roads, often only a couple main roads and often have an elementary, middle, and high school along the only main roads.

Buck Snort
March 14, 2010, 04:50 PM
Quote:
"The liberals in the CA legislature will fight CC with a passion. They'll come up with 10,001stumbling blocks to stop it and dare gun owners to make them into stepping stones."

Response: "Thats fine.... then they will see an overwhelming growth in Open Carry to the point that they will grease the squeaky wheel."

Don't kid yourself, they'll do nothing of the kind.

uwspmgc
March 14, 2010, 10:55 PM
craneman- wow, i seriously appreciate the time and effort you put into that reply! i've come to the realization it's impractical to carry for self defense because of the 1000ft from a school law(hard to dodge all those damn school zones!), however i will try and find local groups that organize UOC functions. i will post my findings here, and maybe someday i can take you up on that cup of coffee!

From My Cold Dead Hands!

Kingofthehill
March 14, 2010, 11:48 PM
Quote:
"The liberals in the CA legislature will fight CC with a passion. They'll come up with 10,001stumbling blocks to stop it and dare gun owners to make them into stepping stones."

Response: "Thats fine.... then they will see an overwhelming growth in Open Carry to the point that they will grease the squeaky wheel."

Don't kid yourself, they'll do nothing of the kind.

Maybe not this year, maybe not in 5 years... but knowing the passion and drive the CA gun owners have.... they will get it done. And I know its common to poke fun at Komiefornia... but they are fighting an incredible battle and doing very well. They need EVERY gun owners support.

Attitude like yours won't help .

JOe

harmonic
March 14, 2010, 11:53 PM
I used to live in the People's Republic and was there when they went nuts passing antigun laws. I'll wager dollars to donuts that the state assembly is already working to outlaw open/unloaded carry. They'll pass it, too.

andrewstorm
March 15, 2010, 12:20 AM
all the gun laws violate the constitution,SHALL not BE INFRINGED HELLO,can attorneys read.THE RULE OF LAW,dont pervert it.

Quiet
March 15, 2010, 09:25 AM
all the gun laws violate the constitution,SHALL not BE INFRINGED HELLO,can attorneys read.THE RULE OF LAW,dont pervert it.

We'll in CA, the CA constitution does not have that provision and, currently, the Second Amendment only applies to the Federal government. So, the state/local governments can legally "infringe" upon the right to bear arms.
That is why incorporation of the Second Amendment is important for CA and we won't know how SCOTUS will decide until Summer of this year.
There's a lot of lawsuits challenging many of the CA gun laws currently pending the outcome of McDonald v Chicago. ;)

627PCFan
March 15, 2010, 09:29 AM
So can you open/unloaded/Carry a firearm with a loaded mag on you belt as well?

TT
March 15, 2010, 09:37 AM
Kingofthehill: …they are fighting an incredible battle and doing very well.

How are California gun owners doing well?

Zoogster
March 15, 2010, 06:00 PM
So can you open/unloaded/Carry a firearm with a loaded mag on you belt as well?

Yes! But a concealed box magazine is considered a concealed firearm under the law per case law on PC12025.
But a loaded magazine is not a loaded firearm per PC12031.

So a magazine is not a firearm under PC12031 (loaded weapon in public), but is a firearm under PC12025 (concealed handgun if outside of exemptions).
Which means it is not a firearm, unless you conceal it and then it magically becomes an illegally carried concealed firearm.
So an open carried unloaded handgun with a magazine in your pocket would be illegal. But with an exposed magazine pouch it is legal.
A concealed magazine while carrying a firearm unloaded and openly is probably the most common violation of those poorly informed.

It is however perfectly legal to keep an unloaded rifle with a loaded detached magazine (not internal), and even conceal it within the vehicle. An unloaded shotgun with rounds in a side saddle as per case law is also perfectly legal.

The Gun Free School Zone Act does not apply to them:

This section does not prohibit or limit the otherwise lawful
transportation of any other firearm, other than a pistol, revolver,
or other firearm capable of being concealed on the person, in
accordance with state law.

As defined under state law, in a state where the average person cannot have a SBR or SBS, "capable of being concealed on the person" is a handgun, or potentially some AOWs. So an unloaded rifle or shotgun under a blanket, or behind or under a seat, or otherwise concealed in the vehicle is perfectly legal.
PC12025 does not apply to long guns. The only requirement for long guns is that they be unloaded, but they can be kept with ammunition, and under case law even in side saddles on the gun.

Heck, even going to the range at Iron Sights. They have asked me to "please carry my firearms in a container, when coming in to shoot".
While I do not recommend it, it is in fact legal to conceal a handgun when on your way to a shooting range, hunting, to transfer it or have it repaired, or many other exempted activities under PC 12026, 12026.1 and 12026.2 A locked container is just one exemption under PC 12026.1, but there is many more that cause exemption to PC12025. A locked container is just the one recommended to everyone because it is the easiest one not to screw up, and does not depend on where you are going to meet an exemption.
So tossing the unloaded handgun or magazines, even loaded magazines, in your pocket, bag, or random unlocked container under many circumstances specifically listed in the law is in fact entirely legal. It is just not recommended.
So you could have just tossed the gun in your pocket, and legally walked right in without panicking people by carrying it openly. They probably wouldn't like that either though, when they realize it when you pull the gun out later, but it is legal.

12026.2. (a) Section 12025 does not apply to, or affect, any of the following:

(9) The transportation of a firearm by a person when going
directly to, or coming directly from, a target range, which holds a
regulatory or business license, for the purposes of practicing
shooting at targets with that firearm at that target range.

Hunt480
March 15, 2010, 06:24 PM
Its a sad state of affairs in California...Looks like the big McDonald V Chicago court decision may be their only salvation. To many antigun idiots get voted in office.

Zoogster
March 15, 2010, 06:48 PM
Its a sad state of affairs in California...Looks like the big McDonald V Chicago court decision may be their only salvation. To many antigun idiots get voted in office.

It certainly is, but as it applies to handguns without a carry license California has more freedom than Georgia.
It is much easier to get a permit in Georgia, but you have even fewer freedoms than in California without one.

This unloaded open carry in Georgia without a license for example would be a crime.

Any concealed firearm without a license in a public place is also a crime in Georgia. So while in California you are free to carry an unloaded long gun in a vehicle concealed or unconcealed, with ammunition readily available and with the gun, you could not do so in Georgia.

Concealing a handgun is also exempt in California law under most circumstances of going someplace to actually legally use that gun. To and from stores, transfers, gun shows, hunting, licensed target range, and many others listed in law.
While in Georgia it is simply always illegal without a license.

Georgia's Gun Free School Zone is also worse than California's it appears:

It is (felony offense) unlawful for a person to carry ANY type of weapon onto or within 1,000 feet of real property owned or leased by any public or private elementary school, secondary school, or school board and used for elementary or secondary education and in, on, or within 1,000 feet of the campus of any public or private technical school, vocational school, college, university, or institution of post secondary education.
Even in California universities, technical schools, vocational schools, school board buildings etc are not part of the definition of school zone. You cannot bring them onto the campus of a University in California, but you certainly can go within 1,000 feet of them driving by. Only k-12 is part of that definition in California and 1,000 foot rule.
Looking up every vocational school would be impossible.

Georgia in many respects is quite a bit worse for someone without a license. The only saving feature is asking permission to carry and being given that permission and license if you pay the fee and meet requirements is easier in Georgia.

Without a license Californians have more freedoms than Georgians, or most of the East coast for that matter (with the exception of Virginia and Florida), and many other states of the nation.

Shawn Dodson
March 15, 2010, 06:57 PM
I "open carried" a Chinese Type 56 SKS to San Luis Rey elementary school for show & tell, when I was in the 4th grade and lived in Oceanside. It was a war trophy recovered from the battlefield in Vietnam where my father earned his Purple Heart. I asked permission from my teacher (Mrs. Marinello), and she asked the school principal (Mr. Truax), who talked to my parents, and I got the green light. The year was 1971.

That same year, or maybe the year after, the assistant principal (Mr. Miller) wore his Colt .45 Peacemaker, with live cartridges on his gunbelt, as part of his costume as "the Sheriff" during the school carnival, on school grounds.

Times have changed.

HGUNHNTR
March 15, 2010, 07:03 PM
UOC is a fantastic way to show your support of the second amendment. So maybe you get hassled, but remember, YOU ARE LEGAL! Don't let the anti gun attitude of the community you live in cause you to roll over. Excercise your rights or they might soon be gone. The apathetic hopeless attitude of some of these responses are just depressing.
You can do more good by open carrying in California than Nebraska. You are in the prime battleground state for making a stand and a statement. Please don't let hoplophobic politicians and citizens deny you your right.

rmfnla
March 15, 2010, 08:04 PM
Just remember, the police can press non-firearms related charges like "creating a disturbance" where it's his (her) word against yours.

Guess who will probably win...

Mauserguy
March 15, 2010, 08:53 PM
"...Then the PD will show up and one of two things will happen:

1. The officer will ask to see the firearm and check to see if it's loaded, then he will run
it to make sure it's not stolen, then harass you about possibly being mistaken for a
Criminal as he hands your firearm back to you.

2. All of the above, except you will be "Proned Out" for the duration of the contact."

What if you're too close to a school or park or something? What if somebody says they were scared and that having that gun was disturbing the peace. I bet half of the time you would be hauled in and charged with something. This is California, after all.
Mauserguy

Hunt480
March 15, 2010, 09:02 PM
QUOTE]It certainly is, but as it applies to handguns without a carry license California has more freedom than Georgia.
It is much easier to get a permit in Georgia, but you have even fewer freedoms than in California without one.
[/QUOTE]

Zoogster, First I just want to say I am not your enemy...
But with a permit I can open carry into Walmart if I want to,we can carry on public transit systems all over Ga. We can open carry in all our State Parks...There is even legislation pending allowing carry on college campus & bars at this moment .

Without a permit all georgians of legal age can have a handgun anytime just not concealed. All the liscense does is allow you to conceal carry here. You can have loaded rifles,shotguns, in your vehicle for defense anytime for personal defense if you want. You can even have a loaded handgun in your vehicle without a permit. Truth is buying,owning,transporting has alwys been easy here and gettin even better. Except my Job I could actually open carry everywhere I would want to go here in GA if I wanted to...
I'm sure I have not covered it all but maybe you will get the picture... Once again I am not your enemy.
I can tell you luv your state of California but FYI; we have those antigun idiots too, just so happens theirs still enough of southern boys to keep'm out of office. I think we are just a little ahead of California with our gun rights in all aspects. I'm sure there are people just like me in California thats the reason I made the statement about the Sad State of Affairs in Cal.
I assure you I'm on your side,I am not your enemy...
You can do just fine without a permit here if you want.
By the way do you have a permit in Cal?

HGUNHNTR
March 15, 2010, 11:29 PM
What if you're too close to a school or park or something? What if somebody says they were scared and that having that gun was disturbing the peace. I bet half of the time you would be hauled in and charged with something. This is California, after all.
Mauserguy

What if what if what if puke

Well geez, I guess you better just throw in the towel and say to H#LL with it.
The law STILL applies EVEN in California!---DISGUSTING

TT
March 15, 2010, 11:34 PM
DISGUSTING

Pretty easy to talk big when you aren’t the one who would be going to jail.

HGUNHNTR
March 15, 2010, 11:40 PM
What would you be going to jail for? Abiding by the law? Stay away from school zones and obey the law. UOC is legal, plain and simple.

I bet half of the time you would be hauled in and charged with something based on what, has this happened to you, were you convicted of obeying the law?

No wonder CA is in the state it is.

Frank Ettin
March 16, 2010, 12:20 AM
...Stay away from school zones and obey the law. UOC is legal, plain and simple....Here's the trick. When the Open Carry guys put on a demonstration to make their point, they pan things very carefully and make sure they stay far enough away from any schools. But if I were to adopt the practice of openly carrying an unloaded gun (with some loaded magazines handy, of course) as part of my normal life, I'd be in trouble.

In our little community, I'd have a very tough time trying to go about my normal business while staying at least 1,000 feet away from any school around here. Not only would I have to travel circuitous and inconvenient routes to get pretty much anywhere, but many places I normally go, some restaurants I regularly eat at, some shops I visit and even my gym, are within 1,000 feet of one school or another. And that would be the case just staying in our town. But I also normally visit neighboring communities in the course of my normal week's activities, adding to the complication.

In addition, any LEO has the right under statute to inspect my gun to make sure it's unloaded. So if I were carrying routinely, I could expect to get stopped on a regular basis just to make sure that my gun really is unloaded.

The long and the short of it is that UOC is legal and doable with sufficient planning for demonstration purposes. But it's hardly practical for everyday purposes.

Zoogster
March 16, 2010, 12:38 AM
But with a permit I can open carry into Walmart if I want to,we can carry on public transit systems all over Ga. We can open carry in all our State Parks...There is even legislation pending allowing carry on college campus & bars at this moment .

Well that is good. In California with a permit you can carry almost everywhere as well, except where federally prohibited or various government buildings. In fact there is fewer restrictions on someone with a permit than in most of the nation. In schools, in places that serve alcohol, even while drinking. There really is not much in the way of state restrictions for someone with a permit, most of the population just cannot get them.

In some counties it is relatively straightforward to get a permit when a good sheriff is in office. Quite a few of them, they just don't have many of the citizens or jobs in them. In most of the heavily populated ones it is difficult and in some virtually impossible.
Every county has different requirements at the discretion of the Sheriff. The Police Departments can also issue them, but almost never do. They leave it to the County Sheriff.

Without a permit all georgians of legal age can have a handgun anytime just not concealed. All the liscense does is allow you to conceal carry here. You can have loaded rifles,shotguns, in your vehicle for defense anytime for personal defense if you want. You can even have a loaded handgun in your vehicle without a permit.

I apologize. I was actually completely wrong on some things and was thinking of another state and misread Georgia law when glancing over a summary of it to double check.
I failed to see (http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php )
"You must have a license to carry a handgun, openly or concealed, outside of your own home, place of business, and motor vehicle."
"Motor vehicle" being treated the same as your residence certainly extends your freedoms well beyond California.

There is restrictions though, and a couple of them are a bit more restrictive than even in California in the summary.
In fact a person who does actually have a permit in California has a lot more freedom on where and how they can carry. The "public gathering" restrictions are crazy, and the definition of school zone is far more broad in scope than in California.

I often see people acting as if California is the worst in the nation in terms of firearm freedoms. It is true there is some really stupid laws especially related to the firearm configurations available to purchase, but there is in fact several states I consider worse, requiring licenses or permission to even own a gun.
And some don't even let you transport a firearm and ammunition together in the same locked case without a permit, never mind with access to both firearm and ammunition like California.

I have no blind loyalty to California though and spend a lot of time in Arizona and Nevada to avoid the madness. If it wasn't for the beautiful landscape and greater opportunities because of the much larger population I would have left already. The ability to be on a warm beach, a snowy mountain, or open deserted desert all within 1 hour's drive is just incredible. With drastic elevation changes close together, windy canyons and mountain roads always nearby, natural barriers to overly dense development (at least cheap development.) We have unnamed "hills" that are taller than many named mountains on the east coast. After traveling most of our nation I have not found something similar in variation. There is many places with some of the qualities, but not all of them. And not touristy small reserved patches, or those with entrance fees like many areas out east, but a vast wilderness. When you combine BLM land, national forests, and state and national parks a huge portion of the state is reserved for public use. So much that you can go places for days or even weeks where you won't see another person, in any type of environment you want throughout the state.
Compared to some place like Texas for example where most land is privately owned and put to use and the little reserved is...different... or out East where it is small and touristy, or most of the middle of the nation where it is endlessly flat and boring, it is a hard adjustment.
I may move, but I will always miss the landscape.

If you enjoyed reading about "Open Carry in California" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!