Anybody still buy gun magazines?

PDA

gilfo
March 12, 2010, 09:19 PM
Haven't bought one in a long time. So I see a mag about pocket pistols on the rack. I don't have my glasses with me but the cover articles looked good enough so I brought it to the counter and handed the girl a ten dollar bill, she said I needed 45 cents more, I asked what was the price on the magazine-- $9.95. I bought it but needless to say it will be the last one I buy. Am I crazy or does anybody else think that the price on these magazines is way over the top. Most have articles that have been reprinted from another magazine anyway. By the way read half of the magazine and it sure is not worth the money. $9.95 still can't believe the price!

If you enjoyed reading about "Anybody still buy gun magazines?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
oasis618
March 12, 2010, 09:22 PM
I buy American Handgunner and would buy it more often if it actually came out every month.

deputy tom
March 12, 2010, 09:24 PM
I can't remember the last time I bought a gun magazine.Too much real firsthand info right here.YMMV.tom.

non2os13
i don't buy them because i don't really have any desire to read about combat rifles or combat handguns. i used to buy shotgun news, but that is the only gun mag i would even think about purchasing.

LRS_Ranger
No, I don't. But I do go to Barnes and Noble with the wife every once in a while and sit in there and "catch up" for free..

tekarra
March 12, 2010, 09:26 PM
I seldom buy magazines anymore as they seem to have a set format. Change the make of the pistol, the location of the range and you have a new article for the next issue. Most words are devoted to comparing ammunition and have few details on the pistol.

cz75bdneos22
March 12, 2010, 09:30 PM
i subscribe to shooting times, guns $& ammo, handguns and american handgunner.

BCCL
March 12, 2010, 10:38 PM
Pretty much read the few articles I want over coffee at B&N as well, in any given issue, there is maybe one article that interests me.

NG VI
March 12, 2010, 11:15 PM
I subscribe to Gun Tests, it's a great magazine. They don't have advertisers, so it's all pretty up and up, especially compared to other gun mags.

I like the way they write their articles, always comparing at least two examples of a given type of gun, sometimes different actions made for the same purpose, different calibers, but all given the same workout.

Full Metal Jacket
March 12, 2010, 11:21 PM
no.

if i want to read sponsor biased reviews, i can do that for free on gunblast.

warnerwh
March 12, 2010, 11:54 PM
+1 My feelings exactly. The magazines can be redundant too.

The Bushmaster
March 13, 2010, 12:10 AM
Nope!! Just the one that comes with my NRA membership...

Publius1688
March 13, 2010, 12:12 AM
The only one I buy is Gun Collector. The rest I read for free at the library, on my lunch hour. Have to say it's been a long, long time since I read anything of real worth in one of the 'popular' gun mags.

Sunray
March 13, 2010, 12:41 AM
Not at over $10Cdn a pop for advertising and rehashed articles from 20 plus years ago. In30 plus years, I've seen one article that didn't say the whatever was the best thing since sliced bread.
"...Shotgun News..." Isn't really a gun rag. More of a printed market.

BullfrogKen
March 13, 2010, 12:43 AM
Nope.

Nick5182
March 13, 2010, 12:46 AM
Yeah buddy! I've got a subscription to American Handgunner, and generally buy anywhere from 3-5 other random gun-zines through-out the month. As for the price, Handgunner is very well priced. Most of the buyer's guides and annual editions run about 10 bucks. I still pay it though. I've always gotta have my wish-list up to date lol.

Motodeficient
March 13, 2010, 01:07 AM
I never buy them in the stores, but I have a subscription to G&A, and handgun magazine. I think it cost me like $18 combined for both for one year.

However, I must admit that just tonight I bought G&A's "Complete Book of the AK-47" magazine today at walmart. Been waiting for it to come out for a while!!!

thorazine
March 13, 2010, 03:00 AM

Yep!!

College Girls and Guns Monthly :D

Chicken-Farmer
March 13, 2010, 03:08 AM
Guns Magazine, American Handgunner, and COP Magazine are provided free via digital copies with every new issue. The digital copies can be saved as PDF files for furture reference. You can sign up to receive an email when the new digital copies are published to the website.

Chicken-Farmer

medalguy
March 13, 2010, 03:20 AM
And have you noticed how often when there's an article telling how good such-and-such a gun is, there's also a full page ad from the manufacturer of that gun nearby? Funny how that happens. :scrutiny:

blkbrd666
March 13, 2010, 03:23 AM
Guns Magazine, American Handgunner, and COP Magazine are provided free via digital copies with every new issue. The digital copies can be saved as PDF files for furture reference. You can sign up to receive an email when the new digital copies are published to the website.

Damn, that's handy! Thanks!!!

FenderTK421
March 13, 2010, 03:54 AM
I pick up Shotgun News pretty frequently. It's usually less than half the price of the others and has good ads, haha. Cheap place to find parts and surplus rifles. Sometimes they have pretty good history articles on obscure old bolt action surplus rifles as well.

FenderTK421
March 13, 2010, 04:20 AM
sorry double post

rogertc1
March 13, 2010, 06:00 AM
Shotgun News

NinjaFeint
March 13, 2010, 09:29 AM
no.

if i want to read sponsor biased reviews, i can do that for free on gunblast.
They are the worst. Advertising on the left what they review on the right. Never seen a bad review on there.

CajunBass
March 13, 2010, 09:47 AM
I still get American Rifleman & Hunter, as well as Shooting Times and Guns.

They're something to read.

Jim PHL
March 13, 2010, 09:58 AM
Here's a link to my favorite Gun Magazine:

www.TheHighRoad.org

Taurus 617 CCW
March 13, 2010, 10:03 AM
I will occasionally pick up a copy of American handgunner or combat handguns but only if there's a good article. I have a subscription to America's First Freedom and American Rifleman magazine (only because they come with the NRA's membership).

BullRunBear
March 13, 2010, 11:35 AM
I seldom buy magazines at the bookstore but subscribe to Guns and American Handgunner. Then there are the magazines that come with our NRA memberships. But when I want specific information and opinions and just plain fun browsing I come here and to the Traditional Muzzloading Forum.

Jeff

bottom shelf
March 13, 2010, 11:37 AM
Yep. Sure do. Even if the cover promises no interesting articles. I like the reviews even if they ARE manufacturer biased and approved. I might not believe what I read, but I still like to read them. I also like seeing the new products, most of which I believe are pretty worthless, but I still like to see them.

Reading these mags is just an enjoyable evening once in a while.

smokin hot AR10
March 13, 2010, 11:48 AM
I like to buy Gun rags but I don’t buy them as often as I used to. Reading Gun rags passes the time when I take my daughter to ballot. As what was stated before it seems the same articles about the same type of gun get printed over and over. What I like to read about is if there are any problems with any particular Company that makes the kind of firearms that I like. It’s not like we get a recall notice in the mail.

aka108
March 13, 2010, 11:53 AM
I stopped buying them long ago. Never had a critical word to say about anything they reviewed and always inferred that if you don't have the new 7.23987 super snotz everything else you have is going to hit the ground 6 inches out of the barrel. They have given great accolades to too many new sizes of stuff that within a year ammo has dried up and no new arms are chambered for it. For my money you can't beat some of the old tried and true cartridges that just keep humping along and are readily (sort of) available.

azyogi
March 13, 2010, 12:19 PM
I still get The Blue Press, from Dillon but it is free from Dillon at their web site, and they even send to the house.

basicblur
March 13, 2010, 01:56 PM
America's First Freedom (as my NRA mag of choice with membership)
Combat Handguns-bi-monthly (not enough new stuff for my interests for a monthly).

Kinda got Combat Handguns more for the Ayoob articles and "It Happened To Me" type articles. Never hurts to read 'bout some new gear, but how many 1911s can you really read about without getting bored?

Fleetman
March 13, 2010, 01:57 PM
Until I get a computer in the bathroom, yes, I still buy.

Mr.Revolverguy
March 13, 2010, 02:05 PM
I started this website exactly for the reason you have stated. It is starting to grow and we are getting better all the time. I am always open to thoughts and ideas on making it better as well as authors to help keep fresh material on the sight.

This is a sight I fund myself with no popups no ads just people who enjoy their time on the range as much as we do.

http://www.dayattherange.com

NMGonzo
March 13, 2010, 02:28 PM
Used to.

I got a basic education in handguns I could not get my hands on.

Now I just buy, trade, or rent.

And the high road

Arkansas Paul
March 13, 2010, 03:13 PM
You have to realize that most of what you're reading is nothing more than paid advertisement, but yeah, I still buy them.

The Lone Haranguer
March 13, 2010, 03:17 PM
I read most of the major gun magazines, but only occasionally actually buy them. :evil:

BullfrogKen
March 13, 2010, 03:17 PM
Until I get a computer in the bathroom, yes, I still buy.

That's what laptops are for.

DPris
March 13, 2010, 04:34 PM
Ark Paul,
Nope, what YOU have to realize is that, with all due respect, you don't know what you're talking about.
In 20 years of writing professionally as a freelancer that have included sales to four different gun publication companies, I have never been told up front what to write by an editor or a company regarding the content of product reviews.
No editor has ever come to me and said, "We need something nice about X or Y Company, write it up that way." If it works, it gets written up, if it doesn't, it doesn't.

Only once, in all of those 20 years, did a particular company (where I'd covered at least ten of their guns previously) tell me they didn't want the test results I got to appear in the write-up. That article was immediately cancelled by me, the editor who'd approved it on my initial query agreed, and the company president was informed there'd be no more coverage in future from me.

My checks come from publishing companies, not advertisers, and the material I write is done for you, not advertisers.

Your statement is overly broad, totally unfounded, and bears as much relation to reality as me saying "You have to realize that most statements made on Internet gun forums by people named Paul are written by drivelling idiots." :)

Buy or don't buy, read or don't read, either way works for me. :)
Seems like twice a year this gun mag subject comes up, and these uninformed and erroneous statements get a little old.

Denis

Full Metal Jacket
March 13, 2010, 05:09 PM
They are the worst. Advertising on the left what they review on the right. Never seen a bad review on there.

i know! everything tested on gunblast works "flawlessly". jeff quinn must be the luckiest hillbilly in west virginia...

Lakeshore
March 13, 2010, 05:18 PM
American Handgunner. With the 2 year subscription it works out to about a dollar a copy. There's usually something of interest, but I don't have much faith in the slanted gun reviews . Massad Ayoob's articles are almost always a good read.

smallbore
March 13, 2010, 05:24 PM
Combat Handguns. . .Got a gift subscription.

mec
March 13, 2010, 05:32 PM
In 20 years of writing professionally as a freelancer

For those who do pick up the occasional "gunrag" I would recommend looking for the dpris byline. It's a very entertaining way of finding out how a given gun actually performs. Add a few letters to the d and a few more on the end of the Pris and you will have him. He had good creds but it is very refreshing that he does not take up two thirds of the article talking about how wonderful he is or how he was standing there giving advise when Elmer Keith built the Rock of Ages.
Whatever source one uses for gun information (entertainment is at least as important) . It is a good idea to have some background information of the sort that comes from actually reading Handloading manual and some of the NRA basic publications where information is at the forefront and the author is nearly if not totally anonymous. Actual shooting experience is good too.These things can provide a baseline for evaluating what you see on internet boards or paper publications.

buck460XVR
March 13, 2010, 05:38 PM

yep....just bought two more 7-rounders last week.:D

DPris
March 13, 2010, 05:48 PM
Thanks, Mec.
I did see Elmer's hat from a distance through the crowd across the floor at an NRA convention many years ago... :D

FMJ,
Jeff's pretty lucky to be able to live his lifestyle where he does, but he's no hillbilly & he just doesn't waste time or space writing up clunkers & junkers. :)
He's a good man and you get a straight story from him.

Denis

420Stainless
March 13, 2010, 05:50 PM
I buy a copy off the rack sometimes if there something that interest me very much. Lately its been HANDLOADER. Probably don't buy more than a half dozen of all kinds total in a year's time.

mm6mm6
March 13, 2010, 05:53 PM
Yep, I get almost all of them.

If you're just a little bit into the internet (you're here, aren't you?), you should be able to find very cheap deals on gun magazine subscriptions. As an example, here's a subscription to Guns & Ammo for just $12.97, that's just $1.08 per month, delivered literally right to your front door:

https://www.valuemags.com/express/valuemags.asp?magid=499&gclid=CNTl7ODZtqACFQTyDAodLUzaUA

Most of the other magazines are available just as inexpensively. I get 'em all for just $10-$12 a month.

I enjoy the glossy pictures and many of the articles. If there is a story about a gun I don't have a real interest in, I just don't read it. I really can't complain for just a little bit more than a dollar.

As to the wacky conspiracy theorists that the gun writers are all in the pockets of the manufacturers, well...they're wacky conspiracy theorists and there's no point in arguing with them. They're wacky....

Full Metal Jacket
March 13, 2010, 06:53 PM
FMJ,
Jeff's pretty lucky to be able to live his lifestyle where he does, but he's no hillbilly & he just doesn't waste time or space writing up clunkers & junkers.

:eek:

rogertc1
March 13, 2010, 07:00 PM
Regular Gasoline cost .17 a gallon in Missouri in 1969. What is it now? Why? Magazines are the same price they have always been ...just takes more money. Inflation.

NinjaFeint
March 13, 2010, 07:31 PM
FMJ,
Jeff's pretty lucky to be able to live his lifestyle where he does, but he's no hillbilly & he just doesn't waste time or space writing up clunkers & junkers. :)

Denis

It's what they call complimentary copy.

Also what the hell is this

Jeff Quinn, Boge Quinn, and Greg Quinn Welcome you to their new website MYGUNBLAST.COM

We have delivered 10 years of product reviews

100's of articles by our proven team of experts

Finally there are going to be GunBlast Products available.

We are starting with a GunBlast Debit Visa® Payroll-Payment Card Program

And his brother who also writes for the site wrote this in an article titled "Obama is not the Antichrist" which can be found on Gunblast

Some in conservative circles are calling him the Antichrist. He doesn’t meet the Biblical qualifications of the Antichrist. Yet, he certainly has the qualifications of, and is acting in the manner of, the one that will usher in the advent of the Antichrist.

and this also from the "Obama is not the Antichrist" article

Finally, share the light with others who are blind. Share the light of Jesus Christ. But also, let your friends and family know just how dangerous Barack Obama will be as President of the United States. Understand the parallels of his agenda and that of the advent of the Antichrist.

DPris
March 13, 2010, 07:43 PM
The point being?
Denis

Jumping Frog
March 13, 2010, 09:50 PM
I enjoy reading Handloader.

I've never been one to beat up on the gun writers, but there was a recent product review of some 1911's by John Taffin that crossed my eyes. He started with talking about how the sights fell off the guns when he first got them because they were dovetailed incorrectly. Then he went on to rave about the quality and how terrific they were.

If I had problems with a gun out of the box, I'd be done with it.

Full Metal Jacket
March 13, 2010, 10:12 PM
The point being?
Denis

so....what's your affiliation with gunblast? :scrutiny:

Patriotme
March 13, 2010, 10:23 PM
I get the NRA magazines and a couple of others. I like the AR magazines. I don't really trust them anymore. The more that you read them the more you realize that they never totally burn an advertiser. I still like the advertisers and the info on new products coming out. I don't really trust the reviews though.

DPris
March 13, 2010, 10:39 PM
My "affiliation" with Gunblast consists of being acquainted with the Quinn Twins and reading their material on their site.
Denis

Full Metal Jacket
March 13, 2010, 10:46 PM
My "affiliation" with Gunblast consists of being acquainted with the Quinn Twins and reading their material on their site.
Denis

i see. so that's why you buy their sponsor driven reviews....

sorry to burst your bubble, but no one gets the number of guns that jeff quinn does for review, and every single one works flawlessly. he's no more credible than gun mag writers. even less so, most would say. at least guns&ammo reports malfunctions....

bannockburn
March 13, 2010, 10:50 PM
Usually read most of the mainstream magazines; American Handgunner, Guns, SWAT, at Barnes and Noble. Usually end up buying Small Arms Review and Shotgun News.

Full Metal Jacket
March 13, 2010, 10:50 PM
Jeff Quinn, Boge Quinn, and Greg Quinn Welcome you to their new website MYGUNBLAST.COM

We have delivered 10 years of product reviews

100's of articles by our proven team of experts

Finally there are going to be GunBlast Products available.

We are starting with a GunBlast Debit Visa® Payroll-Payment Card Program

LMAO yeah right. i've always wanted a "jeff quinn" t-shirt. show me where to type in my credit card number....

(by the way, advertising products for sale on this forum is against the rules)

maxpeters
March 13, 2010, 10:55 PM
Many years ago i bought most of the gun rags out there. I enjoyed them a lot, but they started to get hung up on .45 acp this, that or the other. Seems like you couldn't find one without some new .45 acp combat hand gun, or some new version combat rifle on the cover.
It's been about 10 years since I bought a new magazine. The ones I have seen on the shelves slately eem to be the same ones I used to see back then. Same covers, different date.

mec
March 13, 2010, 11:36 PM
Then he went on to rave about the quality and how terrific they were.

I did kind of skim that article. He did mention the rather disturbing behavior of the sights-a factor that would turn me right off buying one of those guns. Though his overall take on the pistols was that they were terrific, he provided me with enough information to form my own opinion. (another gun company far more interested in getting the guns out the door and raking in the money than exercising reliable quality control.) Somebody else, given the same information, might come to a different conclusion. I've seen articles that try to put a happy face on a service sized pistol that throws 4" groups at 25 yards but at least they have told you about the groups.
The operating principal of the FMG publishing company is to mention negative factors that crop up and if a sample gun sucks with great suction, to scrap any article and send the thing back with a great big "thanks but no thanks." Individual writers adher to this in varying degrees.

DPris
March 14, 2010, 12:02 AM
Believe what you will, this is wandering from my original point, as it usually does when I try to correct a blatant misconception about the gunwriting biz.
I'm done.
Denis

basicblur
March 14, 2010, 12:10 AM
I've seen articles that try to put a happy face on a service sized pistol that throws 4" groups at 25 yards

What really irritates me is nobody uses a Ransom Rest etc these days to check accuracy?

S&W-Keeper
March 14, 2010, 12:10 AM
I don't buy them anymore, I look through them sometimes at the range.I am a S&W nut and kind of lost interest in the magazines when S&W started putting the locks on their revolvers.

gondorian
March 14, 2010, 12:18 AM
Why would I want to waste ammo money on a magazine?

But I do look at them in the library from time to time.

murdoc rose
March 14, 2010, 12:26 AM
got a cheap subscription to field and stream a few years back that ended in December didn't see a need to renew it

Full Metal Jacket
March 14, 2010, 01:24 AM
Believe what you will, this is wandering from my original point, as it usually does when I try to correct a blatant misconception about the gunwriting biz.
I'm done.
Denis

weyelll......bye.

ccsniper
March 14, 2010, 01:30 AM
I buy several for every gun that uses em ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Anybody still buy gun magazines?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!