Shooting less handguns, more rifles?

PDA

twoblink
January 21, 2003, 10:44 AM
When I first began my gun obsession, I was very into handguns. As time goes on, I remember talking to my gun dealer, and he said that as he shot more and more, he went more towards rifles until now, when he shoots almost all rifles only, and very little handguns...

I have noticed myself, looking more at rifles and enjoy shooting them more than handguns... Anybody else have that experience??

Or is it just that when I shoot handguns, I shoot only indoors, but with rifles, I shoot outdoors and at more interesting items, like cars, steel plates etc??

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting less handguns, more rifles?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
10-Ring
January 21, 2003, 11:03 AM
I'm in the "Shoot primarily indoors, so I shoot exclusively handguns" camp. I didn't go to an outdoor range once last year:(
I do have an objective of buying a rifle this year & getting into the long guns this year:cool:

Omaha-BeenGlockin
January 21, 2003, 11:39 AM
Kind of got out of handguns there for a bit--but currently filling out the holes in the collection.

My AK and SKS are seeing quite a bit of use---mainly because they are funner than heck and ammo is super cheap.

critter
January 21, 2003, 11:44 AM
Well, I'm just plain addicted! It's really sad! ANYTHING that has a little wiggly hangy-down thing under it and when the little hangy-down thing is wiggled, it gets really loud, then I like to play with it. Long, short, bolt, semiauto, lever, (auto if I could get it!), muzzleloader, revolver, break-open, kick-don't kick, --all that is just minor details.

twoblink
January 21, 2003, 12:12 PM
I sold my SKS while visiting Oleg and Runt..

It was not that accurate, but from what I found out later, it was a lot more accurate than most SKS's!!

I love my .22rifles. Oleg seems to have fallen in love with my pump .22LR, CSlinger loved it too!

A 6" revolver and a CCW is on my list of handguns, and that's about it. The rest are rifles...

jar
January 21, 2003, 12:17 PM
Not really. I still shoot both and enjoy both. I am finding that I spend less and less time shooting my Semi-automatics though and more rifle / revolver time.

citizen
January 21, 2003, 12:31 PM
Twoblink- same direction as you; right now.
Though I'm sure the pendulum will swing 'round again. and again.

AAChang
January 21, 2003, 12:46 PM
I shoot mostly handguns, but in the defense of rifles, the only rifle I own is a 7mm Remington Magnum, so it's expensive to shoot and (at the risk of sounding like a wuss) beats the hell out of my shoulder

larryw
January 21, 2003, 12:47 PM
For me its cyclical. Right now, I'm shooting a lot more handgun than rifle, last month it was the opposite.

I find that if I lighten up my shooting of one, then get back at it heavy, my skills improve more than simply going at both at the same steady rate. I'll bounce heavily back into rifles when I see the down side of a peak.

Zak Smith
January 21, 2003, 12:55 PM
I find that two factors influence which I shoot and practice with more:

1. the availability of convenient and interesting targets, and
2. the real or perceived utility of more practice

-z

JBP
January 21, 2003, 12:58 PM
With the weather the way it's been I've been shooting handguns indoors. Soon as it gets up to at least 40 degrees though I'll be back outside with my rifles. Picked up a Marlin 17VS last November that I've only had out once so far and would like to see what it does at 200 yards.

kalibear45
January 21, 2003, 01:41 PM
...I shoot outdoors and at more interesting items, like cars, steel plates etc??

Do you shoot the tires out first, like in GTA Vice City? :D

bogie
January 21, 2003, 01:52 PM
IMHO, a handgun is what you use while you're figuring out how to bring either a rifle or shotgun into play.

tobeat1
January 21, 2003, 02:04 PM
Hey kalibear45, I dont shoot out the tires, just the drivers! :evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting less handguns, more rifles?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!