Shot my first organized match today!

PDA

leadcounsel
March 14, 2010, 07:17 PM
It was a lot of fun, and as always other gun owners are always friendly and helpful. I really enjoyed it. I learned that in the heat of the moment it is easy to become victim to tunnel vision and losing fine motor skills and clear thinking. I made several 'rookie' mistakes - and the range is the place to make them.

But I didn't violate any safety rules and I only missed one target all day. My shooting, with my G19 9x19, was remarkably good (considering I rarely shoot the G19).

I would encourage others, especially those that carry, to participate in these events.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shot my first organized match today!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
4sooth
March 14, 2010, 08:01 PM
I can quit any time I want--LOL. Almost like taking drugs but it's legal and FUN!!

danprkr
March 14, 2010, 08:10 PM
I guess I should take it up, but I have too many other hobbies. I know when I compete with my dance my timing and rhythm get shot to h@(( as soon as the music starts, but it is addicting.

Good luck in the future.

bobelk99
March 14, 2010, 09:14 PM
Congrats on a good start in a healthy diversion.

Justin
March 14, 2010, 09:29 PM
Congratulations on taking your first steps into a new world! Competitive shooting is one of the most fun things you can do with a gun.

:)

blitzen
March 14, 2010, 09:46 PM
One of the best ways to put yourself under a little bit of stress just to see what can go wrong. Keep a cool head and make deliberate shots. The speed will come. This is a real good example of where slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Have fun!

AWorthyOpponent
March 14, 2010, 09:58 PM
I've been looking to start doing this at my local gun club. The problem is that I don't want to get up and be there at 8am to do it. I work nights, so most times I don't get home until 3-4am. There used to be a place that was right down the road that had a Monday night Competition, but they stopped cause someone was stupid about it...

double bogey
March 15, 2010, 02:03 AM
Shot in a fun sillouette match last month. Didn't shoot very well but had fun. I wasn't used to shooting offhand. Been practicing some, hope to do better next time.

twofifty
March 15, 2010, 02:06 AM
LC, how did that Texas Star play out for you? Looks like you had a good athletic stance right there.

Glad you gave one of the *.*PA games a try.

kuyawil
March 15, 2010, 03:12 AM
It was a lot of fun, and as always other gun owners are always friendly and helpful. I really enjoyed it. I learned that in the heat of the moment it is easy to become victim to tunnel vision and losing fine motor skills and clear thinking. I made several 'rookie' mistakes - and the range is the place to make them.

But I didn't violate any safety rules and I only missed one target all day. My shooting, with my G19 9x19, was remarkably good (considering I rarely shoot the G19).

I would encourage others, especially those that carry, to participate in these events.
Hey Leadcounsel,

What organization sponsored the match? IDPA or USPSA? My buddy is trying to get me involved by attending one of his matches and wants me to give it a shot (pun intended...). I'm just curious and wanted to know...

And by the way, it's always better to know that your gun safety and handling fundamentals are good... Congrats on your first match!

leadcounsel
March 23, 2010, 11:51 AM
It was a Tennessee Shooting Organization using USPCA-like rules.

peyton
March 23, 2010, 12:20 PM
Leadcounsel, you forgot to mention all the time spent on the Army ranges!! Shooting at a paper target gets dull real fast. I just got home so I am looking to get into these type of matches also. How many rounds did the course of fire require??

ny32182
March 23, 2010, 12:22 PM
You can't have more fun with your pants on!

I also like the "stress" added by the buzzer and competition. I also shoot a G19, IWB, in competition... my exact carry gear, except for the ammo.

Check out the competetive shooting forum sometime if you plan to continue... lots of "I just shot my first match" threads in there with advice and recommendations.

vaupet
March 23, 2010, 01:11 PM
I did the same thing last saturday. (olympic style, onehanded at 25 metres)
And whereas I shoot 85 to 87% in everyday practice, I now managed barely 80%.
It does make one wonder what real stress (read life and dead-situation) does to the aim.

Peter

If you enjoyed reading about "Shot my first organized match today!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!