Pacific Theater Guns (In Honor of the HBO Series, "THe Pacific")

PDA

Ohio Gun Guy
March 14, 2010, 10:49 PM
Just to get ready for the new HBO Series, Lets see your pictures of WW2 Pacific Weapons. Bonus points for bring backs, let us know the story if you know it.

Here is mine a standard Type 99, A gun show find. (Although I did have family in WW2 both theaters)

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn204/laurasue476/100_0386.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Pacific Theater Guns (In Honor of the HBO Series, "THe Pacific")" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MagnumDweeb
March 14, 2010, 11:32 PM
Saw the first episode, they did a great job. I guess special effects tech has come a long way since band of brothers. You get some real good shots of the Marines firing on the Japs and moving under fire. Man that night fighting then must have been terrifying as heck not that day time fighting must have been all that better. All you got to shoot at is rifle fire flashes at what seemed less than a hundred yards. It looks like the marines had 1903s which were accurate for the time. They really need to cover the Marine Raiders and their exploits one day now that HBO is doing this. It looks like it'll be another classic we all watch on veterans day on the history channel ten years from now.

I'm itching to see the 1911 get some screen time. There were more than few documented cases where Marines fought off human wave attacks with a Machetee in one hand and a 1911 in the other.

The_Shootist
March 15, 2010, 12:04 AM
Well the machinegunner put his 1911 to good use!

leadcounsel
March 15, 2010, 12:14 AM
Haven't seen any of the episodes, but from the preview it looks like over-bad acting and sub-par CGI... which is suprising.

I'm also sorta boycotting it due to Tom Hanks absurd psuedo-anti-American statements. As a combat veteran of OIF, his statements are offensive.

NinjaFeint
March 15, 2010, 12:19 AM
Haven't seen any of the episodes, but from the preview it looks like over-bad acting and sub-par CGI... which is suprising.

It's very well made (judging from the only episode aired), give it a shot.

I'm also sorta boycotting it due to Tom Hanks absurd psuedo-anti-American statements. As a combat veteran of OIF, his statements are offensive.

I respect your opinion but he is not the only person involved in it's creation. Don't disregard something without seeing it because of one of it's producers.

erichtmobile
March 15, 2010, 12:26 AM
Just finished the first episode. I wish I had some arms of that period to show off. I too was put off by tom hanks comments, all in all its off to a good start. I don't think it will stand up to band of brothers though

nathan
March 15, 2010, 12:33 AM
My Springfield ARmory Mil Spec with brother Yugo SKS.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc127/Dongha_97/HPIM2935.jpg

garyhan
March 15, 2010, 01:08 AM
I enjoyed the first episode, but was disappointed to see 03A3's insteadd of 03's or 03A1's in the hands of at least some of the Marines.

gary

rocky branch
March 15, 2010, 11:44 AM
So who exactly was it used SKSs in WW2?

dom1104
March 15, 2010, 11:49 AM
So who exactly was it used SKSs in WW2

Time Traveling Ninja-Commandos.

Shung
March 15, 2010, 12:29 PM
A friend of mine's..

http://i64.servimg.com/u/f64/11/94/71/06/snakeg10.jpg

SSN Vet
March 15, 2010, 01:45 PM
go to HBO.com and register and you can stream the entire first episode for free!!

you get to see it.

you don't put any of your money in Tom Hanks pocket....

Ohio Gun Guy
March 15, 2010, 02:19 PM
Nice...Nambu

Shung, That's what I was looking for!

jimmyraythomason
March 15, 2010, 02:29 PM
For fans of the Marine Raiders. Particularlly Carlson's 2nd Raiders attack on Makin Island 17&18 August 1942. <http://www.yohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6f_FvZpm3g&feature=relatedutube.com/watch?v=C6f_FvZpm3g&feature=related>

Warhawk83
March 15, 2010, 02:32 PM
Shung, one day my collection will be as friggin cool as your friend's.

The Pacific: I dvr'd the first episode but didn't get around to watching it till 2am ( 2 sick kids and wife), fell asleep twenty minutes in. I'll try

again tonight.

I'm about to google Tom Hank's statements,I didn't realize he had any Anti-American sentiment.

Warhawk83
March 15, 2010, 02:39 PM
Ok, seems to be a Class A D-Bag, but what do you expect from Hollywood.

Apparently we want to kill terrorists because they're "different".

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/john-nolte/2010/03/09/tom-hanks-america-wants-annihilate-terrorists-because-they-re-different

Tim the student
March 15, 2010, 04:17 PM
His comments don't really offend me (although I do disagree with them), but to I can empathize with those that do see them as offensive. I think they are idiotic, but not offensive. I can't say that I ever heard a soldier in Iraq say they wanted to annihilate anyone because they were different.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing this program.

Cosmoline
March 15, 2010, 04:28 PM
Hank's comments are actually a question, and one that we should always bear in mind. To pretend there wasn't incredibly intense racial animosity involved in our war in the Pacific ignores history. My grandmother, the daughter of two German-speaking, kraut making immigrants, had no love for the "Japs" and wasn't shy about saying as much. The fact that during WWI her own father had been subject to boycott and abuse as a German immigrant didn't seem to phase her. He ultimately trained himself to use an English accent and pretended to be English, though the town knew better ;-) I'm happy the government didn't round my people up. If they had I wouldn't even be here, of course. So looking back on it I can really see how unfair we were to the Japanese. We should have been clear that we were making war on the military junta, not the people as a whole. But we did quite the reverse.

It's something everyone needs to keep in mind during the present wars, as well. It's all too easy to slip into hatred of Muslims in general as the enemy, which is the point I believe Hanks was trying to make.

Sorry for going OT, but I have to defend the fellow typewriter collector. Attacking Tom Hanks is like kicking a puppy ;-)

Mr.Davis
March 15, 2010, 04:55 PM
Here's Tom Hanks' quote.

Back in World War II, we viewed the Japanese as ‘yellow, slant-eyed dogs’ that believed in different gods. They were out to kill us because our way of living was different. We, in turn, wanted to annihilate them because they were different. Does that sound familiar, by any chance, to what’s going on today?”

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/john-nolte/2010/03/09/tom-hanks-america-wants-annihilate-terrorists-because-they-re-different#ixzz0iHTH41y3

Sure, Tom, whatever. And that whole Pearl Harbor attack and the conquest of the Pacific was just them being "different", I guess. I'd comment on his references to our current war on terror, but that would cross squarely into politics, not history, so I'll refrain.

gondorian
March 15, 2010, 05:05 PM
How about we keep this thread gun related, just saying.

Hatterasguy
March 15, 2010, 07:31 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=6287495&postcount=29

Was used in the Philippines.

One of these day's I'll get the right stock on it. Anyone know what the proper stock is for an early Irwin Pedersen?

Maybe I'll put a few rounds through it this week, havn't shot it in about 2 years, .30 carbine is like crazy expensive!

Doug S
March 16, 2010, 01:16 AM
I have a small collection of pretty well used WWII guns in my basement "Man Cave". Of the ones pictured, only one served in the Pacific for sure. It is a Type 38 with all matching numbers and intact Mum (on left), with bayonet. The Garand and Carbine could have seen time in the Pacific also, but of course there's no way to know for sure:confused:. Wish there were a way of really tracing the history of these guns. I had a bunch of "collections" sitting in boxes, closets, etc., so I figured I'd use them as decorations in my basement. It certainly isn't fancy by most standards, but I like it. The walls are covered with authentic WWII newspapers including the bombing at Pearl Harbor, Wake Island, Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima, Hiroshima, and the Japanese surrender. Also have a WWII era Japanese newspaper hanging up. Would like to add an Enfield and a T99 Arisaka to the mix someday, and build appropriate display shelves, racks.

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp42/dmattaponi/WWIICollection.jpg

Nighthawk0083
March 16, 2010, 01:52 AM
nice collection

Big_E
March 16, 2010, 04:40 AM
Shung, every time I see a great pic then look over and see your name, it makes me full of envy. Wish I had some milsurps, but that is soon to change.

Now, about Tom Hanks. There was a lot of racism in WWII. Look at the war propaganda posters and stuff in magazines where the Japanese were portrayed with full on stereotypes and were labeled as barbarians, their military was cruel though. Going to war with them wasn't really fueled by racism but America used racism in propaganda. Same thing with the Germans in both WW's. I don't agree with Hank's comments entirely but racism did have a role in WWII.

**Doug S, that Mosin Nagant had the potential to be used in the Pacific Theater, had we invaded Japan and Russia would help us out.

Uncle Billy
March 16, 2010, 07:07 AM
I thought I saw a bolt action rifle being carried by one of the Marines as they went ashore from the landing craft, that was left-handed. I know that the marksmen carried bolt-action Springfields (I think), and this early in the war a lot of Marines carried Springfields at first, but left-handed ones too? In "Private Ryan", the marksman was left-handed but his rifle was not. Did someone flip the negative? Was I seeing things?

Quoheleth
March 16, 2010, 07:16 AM
I know this question is a bit OT, but I'll ask anyway:

Is there a way to download the first episode & save it to the 'puter to watch later? I'm too cheap to pay for HBO for one series or a DVR, and don't want to wait for it on DVD.

Back on topic, now, Doug - I've seen some museums with fewer exhibits than you have. Well done, sir.

Q

jimmyraythomason
March 16, 2010, 07:24 AM
Each WWII Marine raider fire team had a BAR,a Thompson submachinegun and M1 Garand as per this<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx50o-eAYdA&feature=related>

Tim the student
March 16, 2010, 08:53 AM
Is there a way to download the first episode & save it to the 'puter to watch later?

Someone mentioned that you could watch it on www.hbo.com once you register.

Shung
March 16, 2010, 09:14 AM
Watched the 1st episode !

Nice to finally see about Basilone in a movie. I whish more people in italy knew about him (i'm half Italian) . italians in america werent only mafia... (my great grand father fought in WW1 with the US expeditionary corp)

not legal, but since it's in streaming, know that you can find the 1st episode torrent pretty easely.

Tinpig
March 16, 2010, 09:50 AM
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc91/ccanhamjr/Guns/IMG_0688.jpg

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc91/ccanhamjr/Guns/1911L.jpg

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc91/ccanhamjr/Guns/IMG_1793.jpg

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc91/ccanhamjr/Guns/IMG_2348.jpg

I guess the PC pro-gun wing would be happier if Ted Nugent had produced Band of Brothers and The Pacific. But he didn't. Tom Hanks did. Get over it and be grateful some people in Hollywood still remember and honor the sacrifices that the WWII generation made.

Tinpig

Warhawk83
March 16, 2010, 10:31 AM
^
Of all the things I have been called, politically correct has never been one of them.:eek:

Shung
March 16, 2010, 10:33 AM
nice collection Tinpig ! now... where are your tommygun and BAR ?

Doug S
March 16, 2010, 04:43 PM
Doug - I've seen some museums with fewer exhibits than you have. Well done, sir.

Thanks, and yes it does have quite a mix of stuff. There are a lot of artifacts scattered about that you can't see in the picture. Items that many people would see as just old junk, broken points, potsherds, and the like. Just things that I've literally picked up through the years. A person really has to be a history buff to enjoy my "Cave".:)

Doug S, that Mosin Nagant had the potential to be used in the Pacific Theater, had we invaded Japan and Russia would help us out.

I guess the Mosin Nagant could have seen some time in the Pacific. Didn't the Russians mobilize for war with Japan, toward the end of WWII?

Ohio Gun Guy
March 16, 2010, 06:08 PM
What are you supposed to say about the enemy....?

"They are such great guys, actually a lot like you, probably a little scared and thinking of home........Now go kill him." :scrutiny:

It just works better when you make them a bad guy, of course they gave us plenty of real things to use as fotter in this also.

DougS - I like your "man cave" (Never thought I would say that to another man) :what:

Tommygunn
March 16, 2010, 07:26 PM
Now, about Tom Hanks. There was a lot of racism in WWII. Look at the war propaganda posters and stuff in magazines where the Japanese were portrayed with full on stereotypes and were labeled as barbarians, their military was cruel though. Going to war with them wasn't really fueled by racism but America used racism in propaganda. Same thing with the Germans in both WW's. I don't agree with Hank's comments entirely but racism did have a role in WWII.

There was plenty of propoganda about the Japanese being nasty, and portraying them as buck-toothed characters with glasses made of the bottoms of Coke bottles. And the Germans ("Huns") were also portrayed nasty. There probably hasn't been a country at war in history that hasn't portrayed the enemy as demonic in some way. It helps solidify the populace around the effort of war.
The Japanese had their prejudices as well. In fact, they believed we were a weak an indolent race, and would not perservere in the war. They believed this strongly enough, in fact, that it was part of their calculation in going to war; they figured the attack on Pearl Harbor would take out our Pacific fleet and we would never be effective against them.
They were quite wrong. Admiral Yamomoto, who led the Pearl Harbor attack, had studied at Yale and Harvard and knew America better than most, had warned against this attitude, but unfortunatly few if any listened to him.

As far as the military, they were as human as anyone but there never was a policy of antiJapanes or anti German racism. They realized the fact we were up against some evil, determined forces and believed we'd have to fight "total war" to win, but that isn't racism.
Hanks isn't entirely wrong, but he is rather a knaif.

Hatterasguy
March 16, 2010, 07:33 PM
I still dislike the way the Japanese gloss over the war. The way their history books in their schools cover it is a joke. They call it the "Pacific War", or something like that. No mention is every made of any of the crap they did.

Justin
March 16, 2010, 07:44 PM
Let's keep this discussion on topic, which is about the weapons employed during the Second World War, and not about one statement made by Tom Hanks.

Thanks.

Mandolin
March 16, 2010, 07:53 PM
Didn't the Russians mobilize for war with Japan, toward the end of WWII?

Yup. The Russians invaded Manchuria after the A-bomb was dropped. From the little I know about it, it was a total rout for the Japanese. Fighting a bunch of Russians with PPsH, Mosin-Nagants, and T-34/85s out the ears means the Japanese lose. Didn't help that the only effective Japanese anti-tank weapon was a suicidal soldier with 10-20 pound of explosive. Try using that on a Russian tank, even notice the amount of SMGs the Rusians had?

SalchaketJoe
March 16, 2010, 08:01 PM
Uncle billy, I too thought I saw a Marine with a left handed rifle on Part One of The Pacific.

Being a lefty it is automatic to look for them. Bolt rifle browsing is easy, just look for the odd ones.

Hatterasguy
March 16, 2010, 08:25 PM
Yup. The Russians invaded Manchuria after the A-bomb was dropped. From the little I know about it, it was a total rout for the Japanese. Fighting a bunch of Russians with PPsH, Mosin-Nagants, and T-34/85s out the ears means the Japanese lose. Didn't help that the only effective Japanese anti-tank weapon was a suicidal soldier with 10-20 pound of explosive. Try using that on a Russian tank, even notice the amount of SMGs the Rusians had?

They mixed it up in 1938-39, the Russians destroyed them. Look up the Battle of Khalkhin Gol. Its a very important battle in history and probably decided the course of events for the war in Europe. Its also important because it showed what kind of commander Zhukov was.

The reason Hitler could never get the Japanese to attack Russia with him was because of this war and that battle. If they had chances are Russia would have fallen.

Ky Larry
March 16, 2010, 09:10 PM
The Siberian divisions had been left posted in the far east in case the Japanese attacked Russia. Stalin recalled them in December, 1941 and they prevented the fall of Moscow.The Siberians were trained and equiped for extreme cold weather, the Germans were not. IIRC, the Russians mixed 1 part gasoline with 3 parts gun oil to keep their weapons functioning in sub-zero temps. Their weapons worked while the German's did not.

RDCL
March 16, 2010, 09:18 PM
Somehow the Tommygun did'nt look right to me. I'm not talking about the drum mag.....but the actuator was ON TOP of the reciever like the early Colt guns, and the actuator knob itself did'nt look right for a military issue Thompson.

I thought all GI Thompsons were M1 models with side mounted knobs. I'm likely wrong though because I'm sure the movies guys got it right.

Tommygunn
March 16, 2010, 11:18 PM
When the war began the 1928 style Thompson was what was on hand and a lot of them saw use in WW2. The M1 and M1A1 were the models numbers with the side mounted actuators. They began transitioning to these models in 1942 as they needed to start churning out lots of guns real fast, and the Thompson, aside from being heavy was complicated and expensive to make. The internal parts were modified; the Blish system used to achieve delayed blowback was deleted, the cooling fins on the barrel, and the Cutts compensator were deleted. The rear sight was replaced with a simpler one. The actuator was moved from the top to the side to eliminate the need to mill a channel to see the sights, and in the M1A1 version the hammer & firing pin were omited and the bolt used "slamfire" to ignite the cartridge ( a "nib" was left milled into the boltface to act in place of the firing pin).
But, both versions of the Thompson saw a lot of WW2 use. As far as the actuator not "looking right" I can't say as I'm unfamiliar with what you're refering to here.

Carl N. Brown
March 16, 2010, 11:29 PM
At Guadalcanal Marines had M1928 Thompsons with 20 round sticks and 50 round drums (even a few M1921s with vertical foregrips. The GI M1 Thompson (side mounted bolt handle) did not get into the supply chain until later. The Marines were also stuck with the Reising M50 (a civilian police SMG that should never have been sent to play in the saltwater and sand of Guadalcanal.) They used the BAR and the watercooled Browning.

The Marines in 1942 were on the long end of the supply train and used Springfield bolt actions until they started getting M1 Garands and M1 carbines.

My dad fought in WWII in the Sixth Army division in New Guinea and the Phillipines. Yes, there was racial hatred of an enemy who not only looked different from you, but who fought under a black flag: no quarter asked, no quarter given, and whose idea of surrender was a suicidal Banzai charge with no ammo and fixed bayonets. It took Dad ten years after the war til he realized that they were just soldiers fighting for their country too, and actually taught me to respect them for doing as they were taught and raised to do. I have a copy of the letter the Army sent my grandma when he received his Bronze Star for single handedly counter attacking a Japanese patrol with his BAR inflicting "several" casualties. I remember from the 1950s the WWII era cartoons with hideous caricatures of Jap soldiers with huge buck teeth and coke bottle glasses, so Tom Hanks is guilty of recognising the obvious: during WWII we dehumanized the enemy. But I have a friend who served recently in Afghanistan, and he had Afghan comrades and they all saw the Taliban as the common enemy and I never heard a racist word from him.

89yj
March 17, 2010, 10:54 PM
Not the best photos but here is a friends Arisaka Type 44 carbine. His grandfather brought it back from WWII.
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff10/r-flores/1268880053.jpg?t=1268880646
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff10/r-flores/1268879957.jpg?t=1268880723

AcceptableUserName
March 17, 2010, 11:12 PM
serious lack of shotguns in this thread.

Uncle Billy
March 19, 2010, 11:02 AM
SalchaketJoe: Thanks, I was wondering if I was mistaken. I tried to find it again on HBO on demand but wasn't successful. Oh well, no big deal I guess.

rugbyer81
March 19, 2010, 11:14 AM
Can't put up any pictures as I am abroad for this semester, but i've got a Type 99 that my great uncle brought back with him from the Pacific. I never got to hear the exact story of how he got it, all I know is he brought it back home with him and gave it to my grandpa, who gave it to me. The mum has been ground off, which makes me think he picked it up after the war ended while he was still over there? Does anybody know exactly when the mums were ground off?

Carl N. Brown
March 19, 2010, 03:59 PM
Requiring the mums to be ground off: I believe this was a face-saving gesture by Gen. MacArthur after the Japanese surrender, and supposedly helped get cooperation from the Japanese in exchange for removing some of the bitterness of defeat (to avoid the mistake that was made humiliating Germany after WWI with the Versailles Treaty). The Crysanthemum was a sacred symbol to the Japanese also found on the figureheads of Japanese warships.

Hatterasguy
March 19, 2010, 07:10 PM
The Crysanthemum represented owership of the Emperior.

One of the reasons the Japanese fought for so long when they knew it was over was to preserve the Emperior.

In hindsight requiring unconditional surrrender was probably a bad policy. Churchill for one was not to thrilled about it.

Shung
March 19, 2010, 07:16 PM
related document to the surrender.

http://enka2.netorage.com:9711/harddisk/user/lyk36/mumess/376-macarthurjap.htm

levallois
March 27, 2010, 04:30 PM
Reising Model 50 - great on the practice ranges at home but problems in the salt water, sand and mud of the Pacific.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Levallois/Reising001.jpg

Oro
March 27, 2010, 04:57 PM
Here's two sidearms you would have seen on Guadalcanal during the battle. Keep in mind no 1911a1's had been Parkerized yet, that came shortly afterwards - they were still all blued at that point. And the Marines at that time mostly would have had 1911's - the a1 variant was still ramping up production. The 1917 is accurate save the hack of someone removing the lanyard loop long ago (I have this for sale, actually).

1) Colt 1911 (Colt reproduction, not original):
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd275/kamerer/1911s/WWI%20O1918/IMGP5656PEF.jpg

2) S&W 1917, 1917 production:
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd275/kamerer/S-W/1917/IMGP5649PEF.jpg

Lonestar49
March 27, 2010, 06:23 PM

I'm sure there are some in this Man's Cave

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc306/Lonestar49/hero3.jpg

The other side

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc306/Lonestar49/hero4.jpg

Ls

courtgreene
March 27, 2010, 06:33 PM
two words lonestar, holy crap

61chalk
March 27, 2010, 07:18 PM
Lonestar..wasn't that Charleton Hestons private collection in his basement.

stickhauler
March 27, 2010, 08:57 PM
Personally, I didn't care for the scene where the Japanese soldier who was giving up was shot (actually toyed with before firing the killing shot). Now I know, a Hollywood depiction of it is excused because they just lost buddies to sniper fire, but that portrayal didn't add to the story, and in my opinion was just to make the guys look like murderers.

I watched the first episode, didn't exactly grab me like "Band of Brothers" did, but I admit a prejudice about that series, the unit in that series was my old unit from the 101st Airborne. I'll give this one a chance, but if they continue this stance in how they show our guys, I may rethink that.

Oro
March 27, 2010, 10:10 PM

That was a rumor but that was all it was. I think that rumor was actually started by antis to smear him as some kook. IIRC, it was actually a SC physician's collection photographed for his estate a few years back. Not that it would diminish the impressiveness, of course.

I'll give this one a chance, but if they continue this stance in how they show our guys, I may rethink that.

You don't have to be an ex member of the 101st or 516th to not "love" this show. Narratively, it's scatter-shot and not well stitched together. The battle scenes are good and some of the details just perfect (there are errors), but it is just not a great "story." It's trying to weave a few different ones together, and doing it poorly.

FMJMIKE
March 28, 2010, 10:48 AM
Winchester M1 Carbine
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/mbmphoto/CMPWINAA.jpg
Rock-Ola M1 Carbine
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/mbmphoto/rocka.jpg

Mandolin
March 28, 2010, 02:27 PM
Dude, there's 14 BAR's in that picture!! Plus over 11 M-16 variants, several Thomspns, an AUG, an FN FNC (I think), 4x M2s, some AT rifle, an M1919, several flamethrowers, a Stoner M63 (above the FNC), and random WW2 SMGs. THere's even a Madsen machinegun in the top pic, the only other one I've seen was at a gun show. I justt hope has has some realy good security.

ol' scratch
March 29, 2010, 11:36 PM

I'm sure there are some in this Man's Cave

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc306/Lonestar49/hero3.jpg

The other side

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc306/Lonestar49/hero4.jpg

Ls
I hate you (extreme jealousy and envy).

rocky branch
March 30, 2010, 12:10 AM
You don't actually believe the scene in the river was somebody's wierd fantasy, do you?

I think every scene is based on a factual event.

I fought for 18 months as an advisor to Cambodian and Montagnard irregulars.

If I told stories, people would think I was lying.

roscoe
March 30, 2010, 06:14 AM
I don't think that there is any historical doubt that often prisoners were shot by both sides. My step-grandfather saw it done in the Italian campaign, and my understanding is that things were a lot worse in the Pacific. If you just want American guys heroically portrayed, without a more nuanced perspective, Hollywood has plenty of films like that. Me, I'll take history every time.

HexHead
March 30, 2010, 08:30 AM
Personally, I didn't care for the scene where the Japanese soldier who was giving up was shot (actually toyed with before firing the killing shot). Now I know, a Hollywood depiction of it is excused because they just lost buddies to sniper fire, but that portrayal didn't add to the story, and in my opinion was just to make the guys look like murderers.

I watched the first episode, didn't exactly grab me like "Band of Brothers" did, but I admit a prejudice about that series, the unit in that series was my old unit from the 101st Airborne. I'll give this one a chance, but if they continue this stance in how they show our guys, I may rethink that.
What about that scene in Band of Brothers where they gave the German prisoners cigarettes, just before shooting them all at the side of the road?

Travis McGee
March 30, 2010, 01:37 PM
I highly recommend reading "Helmet for my Pillow," by Private Leckie who is one of the mainstays of the HBO series. It is an amazing war biography, going from Parris Island to Guadalcanal to Australia to New Britain to Pelilu where he was blast-wounded and evacuated.

Amazing story, it's gathering dust in your local library.

Watch or don't watch the HBO series, but I strongly urge you to read the book the series is based upon.

WhippingBoy
March 30, 2010, 04:03 PM
My brother has my departed grand-fathers Nambu pistol. He had new springs put into it, but I don't know if he had the courage to try shooting it. The last time we spoke about it he didn't want to spend the money to buy ammo. He thought it was too pricey.

But, I bring up this part of the story because of how my brother 'earned' the gun. We both knew my grandfather had this gun. I found it while snooping in his bedroom as a kid. He kept it by his bed in a drawer, but there wasn't any ammo to be found. The springs, according to my brother, were long since worn out anyway. I don't know how my brother discovered the gun; probably the same way I did.

Anyway, after grandpa died, my brother stopped by his house during the week my aunt (one of the executors) was preparing for the estate sale. He looks everywhere for the gun and can't find it. "Where's that gun grandpa had?", he asks.

Well, guess where she put it? Just where she thought it belonged; in the garbage. Doesn't that just kill you?! Thankfully, he got it out before trash day. That just begs the question: 'how many collectible guns are thrown in the dumpster every year?' It just blows my mind that she'd throw it out and not tell anyone her intentions.

Speedo66
March 30, 2010, 08:27 PM
I've got an M-1 Carbine made by Underwood that I bought from a brother officer in the early '70s.

He was a Navy SeaBee in the Pacific during WWII and brought it back. He also offered to sell me a Nambu at the time, but I declined because of the cost and scarcity of the ammo.

I got into law enforcement just about the time several "old timers" were retiring, many were WWII Vets. I also wound up with 3 pistols from the European Theater, a 1911 Colt, an S-42 (Mauser) Luger, and a Nazi marked FN Hi-Power.

The only gun I still have is the Carbine. It was pristine when I got it, doesn't look like it led a hard life.

notbubba
March 31, 2010, 05:29 AM
I watched episodes 1 & 2, I will probably filp past it when it's on but I wont be making a point of looking for it.

With Band of Brothers being an A+, this is a C+ so far.

Lonestar49
March 31, 2010, 11:35 AM
Quote:

That was a rumor but that was all it was. I think that rumor was actually started by antis to smear him as some kook. IIRC, it was actually a SC physician's collection photographed for his estate a few years back. Not that it would diminish the impressiveness, of course.

I wish it were mine but it isn't.. I think, as mentioned, it is a SC physicians collection, as this is the house, a southern mansion/manor and as pic says, vault room below house.. :eek:

Have to say, being a pilot, whoever this guy is, he's got the best of all 3 worlds.. Guns, House/large/spread, with own runway, and a fine plane..

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc306/Lonestar49/hero1.jpg

I wish,

Ls

jonboynumba1
March 31, 2010, 11:41 AM
HOLY FREAGGIN COW!!! now THAT is a man cave!! (where's the hardwood bar and pool table though?? (I know they had to go to make room for the FLAMETHROWER!! ;)

Jeremy2171
April 3, 2010, 09:27 AM
Here's my two for "Pacific"....the primary LMGs for both sides...

http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/5296/200651616532rifles067.jpg

Or the rifle they SHOULD have had during filming..

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff36/jeremy2171/S7300077.jpg..

Always need a good top cocker thompson too...

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff36/jeremy2171/range022a.jpg

FuzzyBunny
April 3, 2010, 02:39 PM
WWII did turn out some good weapons! I'm still wotking on my collection.

BTW Tom Hanks should thank our .mil he was able to make the movie in english,

FMJMIKE
April 4, 2010, 08:22 AM
Springfield Armory M1 Garand
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/mbmphoto/SAGarand1.jpg

statelineblues
April 4, 2010, 10:50 AM
OK - these aren't mine. I found them on GunBroker (nods head to "jackcounty" who has them listed for sale)

First is a Type 94 Pistol in 8mm Nambu

Second is a Type 26 Revolver in 9mm

Third is a Type 1 Carbine in 6.5x50 Ariska (made in Italy for the Japanese Navy)

If you enjoyed reading about "Pacific Theater Guns (In Honor of the HBO Series, "THe Pacific")" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!