What's a .204 rifle good for?

PDA

Jsor
March 15, 2010, 03:02 AM
Can anyone drop some details on the .204 rifle? Please and thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "What's a .204 rifle good for?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jem375
March 15, 2010, 03:04 AM
If you watch the predator shows on TV, they use this caliber a lot for coyotes..

biohazurd
March 15, 2010, 03:18 AM
Ive heard of the caliber also being used often for ground squirrel and other varmin hunting at medium to long ranges.

White Feather
March 15, 2010, 05:37 AM
here are a couple of articles to ponder........

http://www.204ruger.com/204_overview.php

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/featured_rifles/204_022505/index.html

Horsemany
March 15, 2010, 09:30 AM
204 Ruger is the king of the prairie dog town.

MachIVshooter
March 15, 2010, 11:52 AM
204 Ruger is the king of the prairie dog town.

It's a middle of the road cartridge for that purpose. Better than .223, but lagging behind .220 Swift. Then there are 6mm, .257" and 6.5mm cartridges that shame all the .224" stuff when it comes to blowing up rats.

To the OP;

It is a dedicated varmint cartridge. There are really no bullets available that make it useful for medium or big game, and with muzzle velocities in excess of 4,000 FPS, it's too destructive for small game hunting.

Birdhunter1
March 15, 2010, 11:57 AM
From what I have read, heard from friends (most of which were die hard .22-250 men) and am witnessing first hand.... until you get into heavy long range .22 caliber bullets it will do everything a .22-250 will at faster speeds, better barrel life, less recoil, and flatter trajectory.

Myself though I am still stuck on my .243 as a dual purpose rifle, but the .204 is knocking at the door to my gunsafe.... more like trying to beat it down

usmc1371
March 15, 2010, 05:30 PM
I have had great luck with mine on sage rats and jack rabbits, ok on coyotes but if I am just looking for coyotes I will take my 25-06 since I don't save the hides anyways.

My .204 is a very heavy AR 15 (les baer super varmint) and has no recoil so its easy to spot my hits and misses.

Horsemany
March 15, 2010, 05:36 PM
It's a middle of the road cartridge for that purpose. Better than .223, but lagging behind .220 Swift. Then there are 6mm, .257" and 6.5mm cartridges that shame all the .224" stuff when it comes to blowing up rats.

Gonna have to pull the bs flag on ya. The 204 is perfect for prairie dogs. Yes there are cartridges that will outperform it but are not as comfortable to shoot all day, eat barrels, and have enough recoil to make calling shots difficult. As far as all the guys I go pdogging with the 204 is tops for that. The 22-250 is right there with it. The 223 looks like a 30-30 shooting next to a 204. You can keep your overbore barrel eating 220 Swift too.

Offfhand
March 15, 2010, 08:00 PM
Post from above:
"204 Ruger is the king of the prairie dog town."
Actually, the .204 is a pretty good prairie dog cartridge, but a poor copy of other .20 Caliber wildcats that came long before.

Horsemany
March 15, 2010, 08:50 PM
Actually, the .204 is a pretty good prairie dog cartridge, but a poor copy of other .20 Caliber wildcats that came long before.

Agreed but those are not commonly available to the masses.

MachIVshooter
March 15, 2010, 09:54 PM
Gonna have to pull the bs flag on ya

Call whatever ya want. Regardless, your love affair with a cartridge does not mean that the rest of us have to praise it.

The 204 is perfect for prairie dogs. Yes there are cartridges that will outperform it but are not as comfortable to shoot all day, eat barrels, and have enough recoil to make calling shots difficult.....You can keep your overbore barrel eating 220 Swift too.

I will, because it's not a barrel burner at all. That was true 60+ years ago, when metallurgy wasn't up to dealing with cartridges that burn a grain of powder per grain of bullet. Today, very different story.

My sister shoots a .204. Great round to about 400 yards. But like my .17 Rem, the smaller bullets get kicked around more. When the shots really stretch, those 55 gr. moly V-max's are the ticket. And the recoil? I can see the impacts through the scope, even dialed all the way up to 20x.

The .204 certainly has it's place, and outclasses the .223 by a wide margin. But king of varmint cartridges it is not. That title belongs to the .25-06 Rem. (unless we're including wildcats)

w_houle
March 15, 2010, 10:01 PM
I thought it was nice because It's been always in supply at Orscheln.

MMCSRET
March 15, 2010, 10:05 PM
I've been around a couple of them, they are probably easier to use on windy days than a 17 but not as good as a 224 or a 6MM. The one thing that they do better than any other caliber is:(drum roll--------) shoot 20 caliber bullets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Horsemany
March 15, 2010, 11:00 PM
The .204 certainly has it's place, and outclasses the .223 by a wide margin. But king of varmint cartridges it is not. That title belongs to the .25-06 Rem. (unless we're including wildcats)

Again I did not mean to say the 204 is the most powerful or flattest shooting cartridge available. What I mean by "king of the p dog towns" was that it's IMO ideal for the task. The larger more powerful cartridges are not fun waiting for barrels to cool on a hot summer day shooting a town.

Small cases keeping the barrel cool allows quick shooting while the dogs are up.

TexasPatriot.308
March 15, 2010, 11:01 PM
just another caliber that will probably be obsolete soon, other calibers will do the same job with a little less muzzle velocity. just look back at the .218 bee etc.

Horsemany
March 15, 2010, 11:42 PM
just another caliber that will probably be obsolete soon, other calibers will do the same job with a little less muzzle velocity. just look back at the .218 bee etc.

The explosion of AR 15's right after the introduction of the 204Ruger didn't help it any. All those shooters who already have a 223 probably don't feel they need a 204.

The sport of p-doggin doesn't seem to be growing by leaps and bounds either. I shoot on a ranch in SD. Last year when we showed up in July we were the second shooters that year. Years ago they were booked every weekend.

WYcoyote
March 15, 2010, 11:45 PM
With all due respect, TP.308, in my opinion the .204 is here to stay. It fits it's "niche" well and has been chambered in a lot of different rifles. I wouldn't be surprised if it passes the test of time.

noob_shooter
March 16, 2010, 01:00 AM
i was gonna grab an AR15 in .204ruger, but figured .223 is more popular and i can shoot deer size game with heavier bullets..

oz_lowrider
March 16, 2010, 03:11 AM
Hands up those who think/know how good the 222 is. I've seen this little cartridge knock over rabbits at 300yds and fair size pigs at 50yds. I'm tossing up between a 222 and a 223. Small game is my target so I have no need for a heavier calibre. I also do paper pumping as well, what's the opinion on the 222 as a range rifle. Oh yeah, I'm recoil sensitive, bad neck and back.

ForneyRider
March 16, 2010, 06:41 PM
.204 Ruger is a .222 Remington Magnum with a 20 caliber bullet. Factory loads are over 4000fps.

Long barrel life, low recoil and flat trajectory. It works well in AR-15 rifles so chambered.

Should be easy to reload as well. Hornady Varmint ammo is about $20/20 rounds, same as .22-250 or .223.

MachIVshooter
March 17, 2010, 12:52 PM
It works well in AR-15 rifles so chambered.

That's really it's primary advantage, and that's why my sister went with it. Fast follow up shots and not having to rebuild your position are nice in a busy town.

The larger more powerful cartridges are not fun waiting for barrels to cool on a hot summer day shooting a town.

Small cases keeping the barrel cool allows quick shooting while the dogs are up.

They all heat up. Unless you step down to the .22 Hornet, you're gonna have to allow cool down time. The smaller cartridges allow a couple more shots before that's necessary, but they don't cool any faster. That's why those of us who're serious about the game have multiple rifles.

I am not, nor have I ever, said that the .204 is a bad cartridge for varminting. In point of fact, it is a great one. Fast and well balanced, for sure. But you gotta stop trying to give it mystical attributes.

Uncle Mike
March 17, 2010, 01:24 PM
The 204 is a great round....but I'll stick with my 22-250's!

Big Matt
March 17, 2010, 02:38 PM
"They all heat up. Unless you step down to the .22 Hornet, you're gonna have to allow cool down time. The smaller cartridges allow a couple more shots before that's necessary, but they don't cool any faster. That's why those of us who're serious about the game have multiple rifles."

My brother uses a .204 Ruger and a .220 swift to hunt coyotes. I can't remember which is which but he uses one for all ranges out to 400 yards; and the other for ranges past 400 yards. He made it sound to me that the biggest thing that matters isn't the rifle as they're both good; it's the rangefinder so you know exactly how far away the target is and can compensate accordingly. I think his rangefinder cost more than a lot of my rifles...

HGUNHNTR
March 17, 2010, 03:20 PM
Holy cow, y'all sound like a bunch of politicians! :D

Horsemany
March 17, 2010, 03:55 PM
I am not, nor have I ever, said that the .204 is a bad cartridge for varminting. In point of fact, it is a great one. Fast and well balanced, for sure. But you gotta stop trying to give it mystical attributes.

It was never my intention to give the 204 "mystical attributes". IMO it's ideal for p-dog shooting. That's all I'm saying.

That's why those of us who're serious about the game have multiple rifles.

Ya think? I take at least 3 every trip. It still doesn't change the fact you can shoot nearly twice as many rounds from a 204 vs a 220Swift before barrel heat becomes detrimental to accuracy.

If you enjoyed reading about "What's a .204 rifle good for?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!