EMF Great Western II SAA

PDA

Oyeboten
March 15, 2010, 03:09 AM
Anyone have and shoot one of these?

Testimonies, critiques?

How do they compare to Uberti, Beretta, others?

Have they a true Hammer Mount Firing Pin?

Are they pretty faithful to the original Colt?

If you enjoyed reading about "EMF Great Western II SAA" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
owlhoot
March 15, 2010, 04:00 AM
The EMF Great Western II is an excellent Colt copy. Although, Uberti has steadfastly improved their revolvers over the years, and I have several older ones that I am quite happy with. I would go with the GWII over the Uberti. I believe that the internal machine work in the GWII is superior to the Uberti. And certainly the external fit and finish is a cut above. The GWIIs are quite faithful to the Colt and many Colt parts are interchangeable. They do have the hammer mount firing pin.

The Beretta has the transfer bar safety and the internally mounted firing pin. The advantage that this provides is that you can safely load six when you carry. With the GWII you will need to load five and keep the hammer lowered on an empty chamber. I have limited experience with the Beretta, but those people I know who own them seem to be happy with them.

USFA makes some fine copies. You can order tuned Rodeo models from Longhunter Shooters Supply. He does premium work and his prices are very good. The Rodeo comes with a matte finish and that is a turn off for me, but if you don't mind the finish, the revolvers are excellent. Higher priced models from USFA are very nicely finished but their pricing is too close to Colt.

Current production Colts are as good as were the first and second generations models. I have all three generations. If you can swing it, this is the way to go.

STI is producing a Colt copy and it is truly outstanding. But they are pricey, substantially more than the Colt.

And while Freedom Arms doesn't offer a Colt copy, they do offer a premier SA revolver that is going to be the last word in accuracy and craftsmanship. They do have no respect for your wallet.

Don't overlook the Ruger. It is not a Colt copy but its looks come pretty close. It is a good, modern, dependable revolver that will take abuse that the Colt and its copies will not. I have a SBH for hunting, but I vastly prefer the Colts and copies for playing and fondling. The Ruger has the transfer bar and internal firing pin.

Oyeboten
March 15, 2010, 07:45 PM
Thanks owlhoot..!

Glad to hear.

I actually won one on Gunbroker recently, a 7-1/2 inch Barrel SSA Model in .357 Magnum, and, it should be arriving to my local friendly FFL any day now.

I was the only bidder, and the price was very inviting ( Blueing appeared to be about perfect, as did Case Colors and Walnut Stocks and so on, appeared very very low use and well cared for, and closed with the one Bid for about like what one would shell out for say, a used .44 Cap and Ball of non-Colt make)...and, after I won, suddenly, I was not sure if my memory of the EMF being well thought of was correct.

Having got onto SAA Colt facimilies a little late in Life, I none the less instantly found them very natural, easy, intuitive and all round friendly.

I can see why they enjoyed such wide appeal and regard in their Day...and, continue to!

Thanks pardner!

If you enjoyed reading about "EMF Great Western II SAA" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!