Another GunBroker rant

PDA

jnyork
March 16, 2010, 12:58 PM
Found a rifle I wanted to bid on but got to reading the description and he wanted $35.00 to ship it!! :eek:

Dont need it that bad!! Seems to me the sellers on GB must think we are all idiots. :cuss:

If you enjoyed reading about "Another GunBroker rant" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
REOIV
March 16, 2010, 01:28 PM
Packing Materials, Size and weight of the item can easily get it up past 20-30 dollars.

Especially if they make you overnight it or insure it because the value of the gun.

gearhead
March 16, 2010, 01:32 PM
Check the UPS website and see for yourself how much it costs to ship an item. It's quite expensive.

Lonestar49
March 16, 2010, 01:33 PM

Have to agree with the above, shipping, bigger box, packed right, (a heavier rifle) via UPS or Fed Ex, next day air, or 2nd day air, insured, does cost around 35 bucks..

Seems to me, if I found a weapon I was, had been, looking for and was 35 bucks apart with the seller, give or take, I'd step up and buy it, IF it was what I had been looking for..

Kinda saying: " penny wise, can be, a pound foolish"

OMMV,

Ls

Zundfolge
March 16, 2010, 01:34 PM
When was the last time you shipped a gun?

Seriously even a rifle via USPS is going to cost you at least $20 parcel post (and about $40 for priority mail) and that doesn't even include the cost of packing materials.

Lord help you if you ever decide to ship a handgun (can't use USPS, must use FedEx or UPS next day air ... so your average handgun shipping is in the $60 range).

Just keep that shipping price in mind when bidding (that and the $20 or so an FFL on your end is going to charge you to receive the package). There's still bargains to be had there if you dig.

ny32182
March 16, 2010, 01:35 PM
35 bucks for shipping any firearm anywhere is not out of line... Probably about average actually.

jnyork
March 16, 2010, 01:44 PM
My wife is a golfer, she brings me golf club shipping containers from the golf course, free for the asking, these are very nice heavy duty shipping boxes and just the right size for shipping firearms if you simply shorten them to the required length . We save packing materials from packages we receive so it's free, although I occasionally have to buy a $3.00 roll of bubble wrap from wallyworld. When I ship anything it is VERY well packaged indeed, I have received compliments from buyers on this. Last rifle I shipped, about 2 weeks ago,, to a guy in Idaho went USPS Priority mail with insurance, delivery comfirmation and oversize package charge for about $22.00 and change.

I dont mind paying shipping, I just resent some jerk trying to increase his profit margin by raping me on it.

ny32182
March 16, 2010, 01:46 PM
If you think 35 bucks is too much, don't buy it. Not everyone has access to nice free shipping materials.

rickomatic
March 16, 2010, 01:55 PM
I'll ship one to you in a flat rate box. You know what they say. "If it fits...it ships". However, I won't guarantee functionality once it arrives. :evil:

Six
March 16, 2010, 02:03 PM
$22 vs $35 warrants a rant? And it's only $22 because you don't count the cost of the box or packing materials?

:scrutiny:

Maybe you can send him a box and some packing materials and ask if he can then ship it for $22, seems like a fair solution.

kingpin008
March 16, 2010, 02:38 PM
Methinks someone needs to reevaluate what's rant-worthy and what's not.

$13 is raping you? Don't forget, your estimate is based partially on free-to-you materials. Not everyone has a wife who can hook them up with free boxes. Sometimes people have to actually pay for things like that.

Either way, I think you're overreacting just a lil bit.

hso
March 16, 2010, 02:43 PM
Perhaps $13 is too much more to charge for a sturdy shipping box and packaging over what you charge getting the box and packing material for free. Perhaps not. Without looking at what new shipping boxes cost these days it would be difficult to tell. Perhaps is you let us know what your local cost for a box would be more folks would understand. On line you can buy a 5 box bundle for $30, but then there's ~$12-$15 shipping for the bundle to your house to raise the price above $6/ea.

Z-Michigan
March 16, 2010, 02:46 PM
I think $35 is quite reasonable for shipping a rifle. I've happily paid that much several times. The reasons are stated by others.

I do consider the seller lucky though, for not having to get complaints from you about his supposedly out of line shipping costs.

HGUNHNTR
March 16, 2010, 02:49 PM
Just figure the cost of shipping into the gun. I can never understand how people can get all p'd off about shipping prices. If I charged you $2 for a Ruger 10/22, and $150 to ship it I'll bet you would still complain about the cost of shipping.
Hint: Its money out of your wallet regardless if it is going to the gun or shipping it. It doesn't matter if it is all factored into the cost of the firearm.

CelticArmory
March 16, 2010, 02:52 PM
I had to ship a shotgun a little while ago and packaging alone cost me $27 and USPS Parcel Post was another $21.

Zundfolge
March 16, 2010, 02:55 PM
Last rifle I shipped, about 2 weeks ago,, to a guy in Idaho went USPS Priority mail with insurance, delivery comfirmation and oversize package charge for about $22.00 and change.
So you shipped a rifle in free packing materials to a neighboring state (WY to ID, thats right next door ... AZ to ID is still pretty close) for $22 ... I imagine if you shipped that same rifle to Florida it would cost you more. And that's the point. You have to charge enough for shipping that you cover all your costs and you don't know where you're going to be shipping to in advance (and believe me, when you post a listing with "buyer pays exact shipping cost" you get less bidders because nobody wants to figure out the unknown).

Actually last time I posted a gun on Gunbroker I included shipping for free ... of course I started my opening bid price about $50 higher than I would have otherwise :p

HGUNHNTR
March 16, 2010, 02:59 PM
^ Right on, and folks should have the common sense to realize shipping is factored in, thus be willing to pay a bit more for the gun.

youngda9
March 16, 2010, 03:03 PM
Some people really get their panties in a bunch over a few dollars. You're worried about possibly $15 increase in shipping(which by your own account doesn't include the box). This guy also has to take the time(time is $) to drive(driving is $) the package to the post office and ship it.

This rant is an epic FAIL.

Reminds me of a little story:
I worked as a bank teller when I was in high school. I had a guy get all pissed off and red in the face because the bank that I was working at charged $1.50 to write him a certified check. The certified check I printed out for him was for $24,000 to the cadillac dealership. The guy had the cash in his account to cover the check, and then some. He must have felt that the bank owed him this service for free since he had so much money in his account. It was quite the ordeal, he got mad at me and then into a heated with my supervisor. The supervisor ended up telling him that she would pay the cost out of her own pocket because it wasn't worth her time to argue with this prick.

Hokkmike
March 16, 2010, 03:12 PM
At least you know up front what the shipping is. Factor that in to your purchasing decision. Too much? Don't buy!

ny32182
March 16, 2010, 03:13 PM
As far as the guy with the certified check, I do see his point... the bank isn't just sitting on that money; they are investing it, loaning it, and otherwise profiting off of it. Fees to access it are not high on my list of positive banking attributes... no matter how big or small; it is more the principle of the matter on that one. I don't use 3rd party ATMs, and I've "spoken to the manager" about a $6 certified check fee to get it waived before.

heeler
March 16, 2010, 03:28 PM
I have bought several rifles and shotguns through GB and have never once had to pay $35.00 for shipping.
I have paid a low of 15.00 on a rifle that was shipped from Tucson to Houston.
The most I have paid and pretty recently was 25.00 and that was from upstate New York.
On the other hand I had to ship my 10 ounce Diamondback pistol to the Diamondback factory for warranty work and since it had to go air over night it was a whopping 51.00 including insurance.

R.W.Dale
March 16, 2010, 03:34 PM
would you rather your beloved purchase was packed in the cheapest crap found in a dumpster out back and delivered by the goons at DHL?

Actually last time I posted a gun on Gunbroker I included shipping for free ... of course I started my opening bid price about $50 higher than I would have otherwise

I do a similar thing with ALL my online sales, and you know what...IT WORKS!

bluetopper
March 16, 2010, 03:41 PM
It's a lot of hassle to pack and drive to a shipping place. I don't imagine the guy is getting rich off shipping charges.

Pat-inCO
March 16, 2010, 03:55 PM
Found a rifle I wanted to bid on but got to reading the description and he wanted $35.00 to ship it!!

Dont need it that bad!!

THEN DO NOT BUY IT! :rolleyes:

You know the price - out front - why complain? :confused:

Full Metal Jacket
March 16, 2010, 04:13 PM
you're complaining about $35 to ship a rifle? :eek:

bearmgc
March 16, 2010, 04:28 PM
In the past year I've noticed a big increase in the cost of packing materials and shipping costs. Even US postal service costs jumped in the their flat rate box sizes, as I used to to ship PIF items and accessory items sold on a regular basis. The last rifle I sold, I way underestimated the shipping cost, but ate it, because I wanted to be sure the LNIB rifle arrived as advertised. $35.00 shipping is about right anymore.

Cosmoline
March 16, 2010, 04:29 PM
if you simply shorten them to the required length

?! I for one do not want anyone "shortening" the firearm I purchased in order to save a buck or two. A stock without its steel can be snapped much more easily in transit. The price you were quoted was not out of line in my experience. I routinely offer to pay MORE for shipping on GB sales in order to get the firearm here safely.

gglass
March 16, 2010, 04:30 PM
It cost me $50 just to send a Bersa handgun UPS overnight to their authorized repair center. UPS will only ship firearms overnight.

Get over your measly $35 shipping on a rifle. I guarantee it is costing the seller more than that to actually ship it.

wishin
March 16, 2010, 05:34 PM
I was charged $25 by a Gunbroker seller for shipping an AR to me a few months ago. However, I always factor in the whole shebang when buying online. The bottom line is what counts to me.

Schofield3
March 16, 2010, 05:47 PM
Like others are saying, shipping isn't cheap
It's nice to get a good deal on shipping but.....

RobNDenver
March 16, 2010, 06:44 PM
Virtually every gun I've bought on GB has been in the 25 to 35 dollar range for shipping; handguns, shotguns or rifles. I pay 15 dollars at my FFL for the transfer. What is the problem with that? I know that I am going to have to pay for shipping and handling if I buy online. No sales tax though, which would have added 100 dollars to the Browning Citori I bought a few weeks ago if I had found it at a shop instead of buying from a seller on Gunbroker.

kingpin008
March 16, 2010, 06:54 PM
I for one do not want anyone "shortening" the firearm I purchased in order to save a buck or two. A stock without its steel can be snapped much more easily in transit.

Um...I'm pretty sure he means shortening the box, not the gun.

jnyork
March 16, 2010, 07:48 PM
?! I for one do not want anyone "shortening" the firearm I purchased

Wow, take a deep breath or two, Cosmo, I was talking about the BOX, not the gun! :D:D:D

wishin
March 16, 2010, 08:35 PM
Somehow, I think he knew that!:uhoh:

oneounceload
March 16, 2010, 08:48 PM
Dont need it that bad!! Seems to me the sellers on GB must think we are all idiots.

Are you SERIOUS??...And the difference was you using free materials and not counting your time to package it or take it to the PO...

Gimme a break...........if the few dollars is raping you or breaking your bank, perhaps you need to take up another hobby

HGUNHNTR
March 16, 2010, 09:46 PM
^ No kidding, just wait til he goes out to buy ammo for it.............that will be another "rant" thread.

Hatterasguy
March 16, 2010, 10:02 PM
Their isn't anything wrong with that price, I think I paid about that to ship my K31.

Lets see $10 for materials since we all don't get them for free. $20 at least for shipping, than your time.

I figure my time is worth $80 an hour, so if I spend half an hour packaging it and driving it to UPS thats $40, I also charge $.55 cents a mile so if its 10 miles round trip thats another $5 or so. My friend who is a Dr, gets a heck of a lot more for his time.:D

jnyork
March 16, 2010, 10:17 PM
Well, fellers, I have been kicked around on this one pretty well by yourselves and folks on other boards. Thankfully, at least some of you did not get all nasty and self-important about it and at least one of you actually has a sense of humor. I must live under a rock or something, I just have never paid or charged anything like $35.00 shipping on a rifle, guess I am doing something wrong. I promise I'll try harder next time. :rolleyes:

ScottS
March 16, 2010, 10:24 PM
Just figure the cost of shipping into the gun. I can never understand how people can get all p'd off about shipping prices. If I charged you $2 for a Ruger 10/22, and $150 to ship it I'll bet you would still complain about the cost of shipping.
Hint: Its money out of your wallet regardless if it is going to the gun or shipping it. It doesn't matter if it is all factored into the cost of the firearm.

/thread

ants
March 16, 2010, 10:30 PM
Let's say you win an auction for $350, maybe a Marlin 30-30 or something similar. Then you pay $35 for shipping, and pay your FFL his $20. My state charges $25 for the Brady background check (several states are free and some don't charge if you have a CCW, but more than half the states charge a full fee).

So you just paid $350 for a rifle and $80 to get it into your hands. That's more than 23% upcharge for absolutely nothing constructive. You get nothing for the $80, although Nancy Pelosi sleeps at night because now it's harder and more costly to buy it legally.

We often pay sales tax and sometimes shipping when we buy something, but generally not as much as 23%. Yet, we accept it with a gun purchase like it's perfectly normal. That's very interesting.

CelticArmory
March 16, 2010, 10:32 PM
If you want a Gunbroker rant, here's mine. I received two firearms today, pistols to be exact (well 1 pistol, 1 revolver). Both purchased through GB. Neither came "adult signature required." The first one, UPS dropped off at the door step and left. Fortunately, the second the mail man actually placed in my hands. Now that is something to complain about.

cassandrasdaddy
March 16, 2010, 10:36 PM
but who ships em? the seller or gunbroker?

shipping sure did go up of the last few years i flew to south dakota though about shipping my extra car seat ahead so i didn't have to take in on the plane. would be just as cheap to buy another as ship it

thorazine
March 16, 2010, 10:39 PM
Another vote for,

[X] Thirty five dollars is not too much to ship the rifle.

CelticArmory
March 16, 2010, 11:10 PM
but who ships em? the seller or gunbroker?

shipping sure did go up of the last few years i flew to south dakota though about shipping my extra car seat ahead so i didn't have to take in on the plane. would be just as cheap to buy another as ship it
The seller ships them. GB only facilitates the sale. And charges the seller and buyer for services. You even have to have a credit card on file to send a stupid email through GB.

Dookie
March 16, 2010, 11:41 PM
It's interesting to me that we accept certain costs so easily.
Let's say you win an auction for $350, maybe a Marlin 30-30 or something similar. Then you pay $35 for shipping, and pay your FFL his $20. My state charges $25 for the Brady background check (several states are free and some don't charge if you have a CCW, but more than half the states charge a full fee).

So you just paid $350 for a rifle and $80 to get it into your hands. That's more than 23% upcharge for absolutely nothing constructive. You get nothing for the $80, although Nancy Pelosi sleeps at night because now it's harder and more costly to buy it legally.

We often pay sales tax and sometimes shipping when we buy something, but generally not as much as 23%. Yet, we accept it with a gun purchase like it's perfectly normal. That's very interesting. That is why a dozen people have said to factor in the cost before you buy. If you KNOW it is going to be an extra $80 and you still pay to much for it the it's your fault.

And what it this "Brady" check? Isn't that part of the 4473 that every FFL transfer does?

ants
March 17, 2010, 12:08 AM
And what it this "Brady" check?
"Brady check" is current slang for the National Instant Criminal Background System (NICS) background check. I apologize for not using the correct terminology.
The NICS check is separate from the 4473, but performed at the same time.
Depending upon your state's level of participation and use of ATF-authorized alternate permit, your state may or may not charge a fee to perform the NICS check.

M2
March 17, 2010, 12:10 AM
Actually, I was charged $32 for shipping for a rifle I recently won on GB and when it arrived, I noticed the shipping label said it was over $36. Add in the cost of a box and packing materials, and I think I owe the seller a few more bucks!

Of course, you can ship a rifle for less, but it will take a lot longer...

Onward Allusion
March 17, 2010, 12:29 AM
$35 for a long gun is a fair price. $25 for a handgun is reasonable. Handguns have to be sent overnight, and long guns have the extra packaging & weight.

jnyork (http://www.thehighroad.org/member.php?u=62704)

Another GunBroker rant

BullfrogKen
March 17, 2010, 12:43 AM
Look, is it a deal you can live with or not? The whole amount, shipping and all.

If it is, get it and enjoy. If not, don't get it.

You can be assured that your dealer factored his cost into the sale price for shipping all the new guns he's got for sale into his store. And the store's overhead. And the cost of money that he's got tied up in inventory. Etc, etc.

Penny wise, pound foolish.

rocky branch
March 17, 2010, 12:50 AM
I had a few AK kits that I realised I would never assemble.

I sold them on GB ppd.

What a shock. It cost me an average of $25 bucks plus packing.

SeanSw
March 17, 2010, 01:00 AM
More fuel for the fire. I just paid $30 to ship a set of old Honda carburetors to Wisconsin. That's one state away, non-expedited, and I packed it myself. I felt ripped off but it wasn't a firearm four times as large requiring special care either.

evan price
March 17, 2010, 03:42 AM
Wow, I guess everything else in the world is perfect now, and we can complain about shipping costs that really are not out of line.

I suppose you'll complain about your FFL charging you to run it through his bound book, next.

Easy solution- stay away from Gunbroker. More deals for me.

Or do like I do- save a search listing only guns in your own state. What's gas to drive across your state and back? $30? $40?

Dookie
March 17, 2010, 04:01 AM
Actually, I was charged $32 for shipping for a rifle I recently won on GB and when it arrived, I noticed the shipping label said it was over $36. Add in the cost of a box and packing materials, and I think I owe the seller a few more bucks!
I purchased an IPod cable from China for $0.29 and free shipping. Guess who raised their prices after that.

kingpin008
March 17, 2010, 05:51 AM
Then you pay $35 for shipping

Shipping isn't free.

and pay your FFL his $20.

FFL's don't work for free.

My state charges $25 for the Brady background check (several states are free and some don't charge if you have a CCW, but more than half the states charge a full fee).

Running the check system isn't free.

That's more than 23% upcharge for absolutely nothing constructive.

See previous comments. All the stuff you called "nothing constructive" requires humans to do work or spend money on materials. Humans usually get paid for work and reimbursed for materials.

UKWildcats
March 17, 2010, 08:36 AM
Shipping any large box is distance sensitive -- the farther it goes the more it cost the shipper. I shipped a FN49 (10 lb Rifle) from Ohio to Washington state, UPS cost me $35 easy without including packing materials which I had laying around.

Most sellers use a flat rate to ship -- sometimes it is cheaper and sometimes it cost them more to ship but in the long run it works our. Car manufactures use the same method (Destination Charge) -- Just easier to spread the cost.

UK

heeler
March 17, 2010, 08:50 AM
Now that I have been reading this thread I remembered a rifle I bought off of a first time seller several years ago on GB.
I generally wont buy from some one that has no ratings but I wanted this particular rifle.
The seller advertised a shipping charge of 20.00.
Fair enough and the fact that I had installed a ceiling fan for my then FFL guy he was going to wave the FFL fee he usually charged which was then 20.00.
Anyway after the guy shipped me the rifle he sends me an e-mail stating he needed another 20.00 because UPS charged him 40.00 to ship this 6 pound carbine.
I refused.
He would not let this go.
He started calling me daily.
I finally convinced him he was beating a dead horse and I was not going to send him another dime.
What a frigging money grubbing cry baby.
The reason he was charged so much is he used a box that was at least 14 inches longer than the rifle and had the rifle wrapped up in newspaper that filled the box entirely.
The packaged box was really heavy.
I give him an "A" for his efforts to protect the rifle but an "F" for business sense.

HGUNHNTR
March 17, 2010, 09:23 AM
Well next time you will probably just get a rifle rattling around i an unpadded box. Like Bullfrog Ken said previously, Penny wise, Pound foolish.

heeler
March 17, 2010, 09:35 AM
So far I have never had any shipped rifles or shotguns damaged through shipping.
Most people I have dealt with had enough common sense to to protect the contents to avoid the hassles.
As you say penny wise,pound foolish.

71Commander
March 17, 2010, 09:37 AM
I know how he can reduce costs. Ask him to not insure it. At 1.25 per 50 dollars of value, that cost run up pretty fast.;)

zoom6zoom
March 17, 2010, 09:43 AM
I'm waiting for the add-on rant about how much the dealer charged for the transfer.

It's the handgun shipping costs that chap my ass. Even when I purchase (C&R) from a vendor in the adjoining state, which UPS's own website shows that Ground arrives the next day, they still insist on shipping express.

SSN Vet
March 17, 2010, 09:55 AM
Fortunately... it's still a free country and you have the wonderfull option available to:

1.) buy a gun at all and
2.) buy a gun through convenient and often inexpensive on-line shopping. and
3.) saying no thanks and going elsewhere

Personally, I don't look at auctions that want more than $25 shipping.

and I have had purchased used long guns, NIB long guns and NIB hand guns from GB and GA and have never payed more than $25....

Do you also post rants about how much Macy's charges for a pair of jeans, or do you just drive on by and go to Walmart?

oneounceload
March 17, 2010, 10:12 AM
fellers, I have been kicked around on this one pretty well by yourselves and folks on other boards.

Well, if you've ranted the same thing in several places and have gotten the same results, you think it might be your way of thinking that needs a slight readjustment?

AzBuckfever
March 17, 2010, 01:08 PM
I think it's funny how people budget shop for a rifle. Gonna shoot budget ammo in it as well? $35 shipping over $20 is raping someone? Wow! Good info to know I suppose. You know how you supplement shipping if you're tTHAT concerned about it, don't pay as much for the weapon....DUH!

NMGonzo
March 17, 2010, 01:44 PM
$35 for shipping does not sound THAT high to me.

If it is a private individual, he probably has to get on the car and go to the post office and such, pack it him/ herself ... etc.

1 hour labor?

I'll pay it without hesitation.

gym
March 17, 2010, 02:36 PM
Don't shop online if you think that's unfair. It is the going rate. If you add insurance and overnight delivery or even 2 day, it's closer to $100.00

jnyork
March 17, 2010, 05:17 PM
OK, I quit, I give up, I get the idea!! I wont complain about shipping costs any more!! :eek:

I had no idea my little rant would set off so many other rants and unleash the level of scorn, hatred and vitriol I have seen here on my little thread.

But then again, this IS the High Road, isn't it? :rolleyes:

BullfrogKen
March 17, 2010, 05:24 PM
You asked for opinions.

Now I didn't go through the thread with a fine-toothed comb, but I didn't see anyone say you were a dumb idiot or a fool for holding yours. They just said your opinion was dumb and foolish. And it was backed up by evidence. That actually is a rather high road form of disagreement.

There is a difference between calling your opinion foolish and calling you a fool, you know.

Based upon the insight of others you can easily change your opinion. It's much more difficult for a fool to cease being a fool.

The Lone Haranguer
March 17, 2010, 07:31 PM
I was having my buyers pay the first $35 of the shipping when I was selling handguns on GB. I usually sent them UPS Second Day Air or 3-Day Select.

(username loneharanguer9887, 26 A+ ratings, no negatives:cool:)

youngda9
March 17, 2010, 07:47 PM
Sheesh, why so many responses to this weak rant.

FACTOR IN THE PRICE OF SHIPPING WHEN YOU BID.

DON'T BITCH, YOU KNEW THE DETAILS GOING INTO THE TRANSACTION.

MOVE ON

/thread

jnyork
March 17, 2010, 08:07 PM
[QUOTESheesh, why so many responses to this weak rant.

FACTOR IN THE PRICE OF SHIPPING WHEN YOU BID.

DON'T BITCH, YOU KNEW THE DETAILS GOING INTO THE TRANSACTION.

MOVE ON

/thread

QUOTE]

See post #66. Sheesh. MOVE ON. :scrutiny:

kingpin008
March 17, 2010, 08:10 PM
Youngda9 - chill out, and stop with the all caps. Yelling is rude, and unnecessary.

BullfrogKen
March 17, 2010, 10:17 PM
Enough.

I'm coming out of retirement to close this one.

If you enjoyed reading about "Another GunBroker rant" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!