Cylinder & Slide Quality On Beer Budget?

PDA

Phydeaux642
March 16, 2010, 09:18 PM
Well, I've located a Smith 581 and am thinking about picking it up for a custom project. I was thinking about sending a Detective Special to Grant Cunningham, but that is out of the question since it seems he rarely has any time to take on new projects.

So, I was thinking about getting the 581 and having the barrel cut down to 3", having a trigger job done and having it refinished in a tough satin finish.The gun is priced at $450 (which is a bit high IMO) but I think I have something I could trade and be into it by adding another $120. I know custom work is expensive, but is there a good smith that knows S&W revolvers that doesn't cost an arm and a leg out there? I know, I know, he's out flying around on his magic carpet tending to his herd of unicorns.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cylinder & Slide Quality On Beer Budget?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
stu454
March 16, 2010, 09:54 PM
Clements Custom Guns or Jim Stroh of Alpha Precision are worth a look.

I doubt you'll get all that done for less than $400.

Update Clements would be around $425, Stroh over $450. Add in shipping and you're over 5 bones.

WC145
March 16, 2010, 10:29 PM
Check www.pinnacle-guns.com, it's a one-man shop and Mark Hartshorne is the man. He does great work and the stuff you're talking about is right up his alley. Give him a call.

9mmepiphany
March 16, 2010, 11:48 PM
the best S&W action work is from Randy Lee of Apex Tactical in Morro Bay CA...he just added Scott Folk (a master machinist) to the shop and they both do awesome work...he doing my 2.5" M-66 now

NG VI
March 17, 2010, 12:00 AM
I know, I know, he's out flying around on his magic carpet tending to his herd of unicorns.

Killing me Smalls!

Sounds like a good idea for a project, and a 581 on its own sounds like a good buy anyway.

David E
March 17, 2010, 02:12 AM
I would add either a colored ramp for the front sight, or the set by Bowen. It's hard to see a stainless front sight, especially at speed.

Or maybe a fiber optic, as shown here:

http://www.pinnacle-guns.com/images/rev_gal/06lg.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Cylinder & Slide Quality On Beer Budget?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!