Why do people post pictures of guns for sale with only the non-ejection port side?

PDA

Mags
March 17, 2010, 04:58 AM
Was browsing Gunbroker and our very own for sale section and I noticed alot of people only post pics of the smooth side or non ejection port side of a firearm. I find it extremely annoying. It is also slightly deceiving for example on 1911s with external extractors or smooth side ARs such as the sportical. Don't you guys realize how much more important it is to see the ejection side of a firearm than the pretty smooth side?

If you enjoyed reading about "Why do people post pictures of guns for sale with only the non-ejection port side?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ilikepancakes
March 17, 2010, 04:59 AM
maybe to hide the serial number

Mags
March 17, 2010, 05:00 AM
The serial number on ARs is on the non-ejection port side.

Dookie
March 17, 2010, 05:02 AM
Better than the people who use their cell phones or have the pictures upside down.

WardenWolf
March 17, 2010, 05:05 AM
maybe to hide the serial number

Doubt that, considering it only takes a moment to select and pixellize the serial number while you're performing standard image processing (note: if you want something GONE from a picture, make sure you do something that destroys info rather than just distorts it). More than likely it is because they feel showing the left side of the gun, which contains more of the ergonomic features and controls, more important than showing the "boring" ejection side.

Mags
March 17, 2010, 05:56 AM
Good answer Mike, thanks.

joshk-k
March 17, 2010, 11:30 AM
Or seeing a larger, flat surface might give you a better sense of the overall condition of the finish.

Dentite
March 17, 2010, 11:37 AM
Unless the gun is new, I want to see BOTH sides and additional photos as well.

wishin
March 17, 2010, 12:06 PM
Good that you brought it up. I never gave it much thought!

youngda9
March 17, 2010, 12:52 PM
People, by nature, are lazy and cheap. They will not spend the time to process an image(if they know how), nor will the take the time to take and upload more than one image unless requested, especially if it costs more $$.

ny32182
March 17, 2010, 01:28 PM
Laziness would be my answer.

I'm guilty of doing this wrong myself from time to time, but a GOOD seller should post detailed pics of everything when selling a used gun. And I don't mean a 400x400 picture of each side zoomed out with bad lighting.

i.e... yes, I know what the general shape of an AR15 looks like from outer space. Providing those pictures is not really helpful. In a used gun I want to see finish detail of everything, internals, closeups of any questionable wear, serial numbers especially if I'm looking at a specific timeline, etc... gimmie the good stuff.

Werewolf
March 17, 2010, 04:42 PM
Most (90% at least) people are right handed.

A right hander holding a gun in his right hand will naturally lay it down (before taking a picture of it) on the gun's right side with the left side up.

DMK
March 17, 2010, 04:58 PM
The manufacturers rollmarks are usually on the opposite side as the ejection port.

That said, you should be showing clear pics of both sides of something you are selling.

Zundfolge
March 17, 2010, 06:15 PM
People really don't understand how important good photography is to selling stuff.

I got a killer deal on a pistol on Gunbroker not long ago because the photos were of poor quality and made the finish of the gun look worse than it really was.

Shooting pics of both side (and well lighted, clear, even somewhat artistically shot) is going to do a much better job of selling your gun for top dollar than a single, one sided cell phone pic with a flash :p

This is where laziness hurts the lazy ;)

Skillet
March 17, 2010, 06:35 PM
If you want some good free photo editing software, look up GIMP. they are like photoshop but free and you can remove serial numbers and do just about anything to it.

The Lone Haranguer
March 17, 2010, 08:20 PM
When I was selling guns, I photographed both sides and the top.

Not really related, but funny - looking over a friend's I-Phone app, I noticed a revolver (Colt Anaconda) that must have been photographed from a reversed negative or something - the cylinder latch was on the right side of the gun. ;)

andrsnsm
March 17, 2010, 08:31 PM
I imagine it is so the S/N is not shown and not everybody knows how to pixelate or smudge the S/N in the picture. I do and will if I sell a gun. I agree that it is frustrating since I want to see both sides, especially if it is a Kimber since I won't buy another Kimber with an external extractor.

fireside44
March 17, 2010, 08:33 PM
I couldn't find a single revolver showing the ejection port side. The OP is right, that is weird.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Why do people post pictures of guns for sale with only the non-ejection port side?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!