I need help finding a California legal AR-15!

PDA

Jsor
March 17, 2010, 06:41 PM
I really want an AR-15, but I live in CA so it is kind of hard. Does anybody know of decently prices CA legal AR's? Or give me some easy routes of making my own? I am looking to spend no more than $700 without tax and yes I realize that's almost impossible but I could always find something used. List the cheapest CA legal AR that you know of or a a cheap, but efficient way to make my own. Please and thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "I need help finding a California legal AR-15!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tju1973
March 17, 2010, 06:54 PM
Try Calguns.net I go there just to see the neat ways gun lovers find to get around Cali's dumb gun laws..I love Cali, feel the pain of the gun owners there, but I absolutely will not live there again until the laws are stricken or reversed..

Jsor
March 18, 2010, 01:28 AM
And the other thing that I heard is that AR-15's are picky on ammo...I don't know if that is true or not?

The Undertaker
March 18, 2010, 02:06 AM
I too am shopping for a new AR - I'm looking at the Daniel Defense DDM4v3. Regarding ammo choices, I would avoid using military 5.56 mm ammo in a gun designed for the civilian .233, but not vice versa.

Fractal X
March 18, 2010, 02:13 AM
I don't know where you are in CA, but around here in the LA / Orange County area Off-list lowers are going for $100-$150. The necessary compliance parts (bullet button or radlock and one 10 rd mag) will run ~$65 and you can get a Del-ton kit for ~$500. This will give you an out of pocket cost of $750-$800.

The cheapest complete AR I've seen around here had a 20" flat top, no name upper assy. and a CMMG lower. It was pretty beat up and the asking price was still $850. Though, around here, you start to get several options for new reasonable quality ARs at $1100-$1200.

Definitely check Calguns.net for info, they have lots of relevant threads regarding legal and technical issues with having AR15's here in CA.

Jsor
March 18, 2010, 02:16 AM
Are AR-15's in .223 any louder than any regular .223?

cyclopsshooter
March 18, 2010, 02:35 AM
Are AR-15's in .223 any louder than any regular .223?

they are if you use a muzzle break

NG VI
March 18, 2010, 04:30 AM
And the other thing that I heard is that AR-15's are picky on ammo...I don't know if that is true or not?

Not in my experience. I have NEVER had an AR or M16 give me even the slightest bit of trouble. I owned a single bargain bin CMMG AR-15, perfect rifle, never the least bit of trouble, and have used a wide variety of M16s during my service as an Army National Guardsman for the last four years. I believe I have had a single rifle malfunction a single time, during a state marksmanship team practice. It was a quick fix. Immediate action drills are very important. 90+% of stoppages can be fixed in a few seconds if you are even slightly familiar with your rifle.

And they will be louder if you use a muzzle brake, but not any louder than any other .223 with a brake on it. I think a bolt action .223 with the same brake might actually be louder (not measurable or noticeable) given that they don't bleed off any gas.

Jsor
March 21, 2010, 07:37 PM
Do all lowers and uppers go together? Like are they all universal?

easy
March 21, 2010, 11:31 PM
Mo matter your location, this is the place to start.

http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/

I have no affiliation with 10%.

NG VI
March 21, 2010, 11:45 PM
Every standard commercially sold lower and upper will work together as far as I know, if you buy a commercial lower it will fit a commercial upper unless it says otherwise.

If you enjoyed reading about "I need help finding a California legal AR-15!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!