Lead removal

PDA

sig220mw
March 17, 2010, 07:51 PM
Any good solvent out there for removing lead from a revolver barrel?

If you enjoyed reading about "Lead removal" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
fourdollarbill
March 17, 2010, 08:52 PM
Any cheap solvent will work.
Just wrap a sleeve of "Oh Cedar" brand or "Chore Boy" brand copper scubber around a 22 cal. brass brush, lube it with any solvent and insert into the bore and scrub a few times. Some people don't think this works too well but I think it is the best and it works for my 357's.

dfariswheel
March 17, 2010, 08:52 PM
The best "solvent" for leading in revolvers is a Lewis Lead Removal Kit from Brownell's.
There is no solvent that can dissolve lead that won't dissolve YOU.

Instead of fooling around waiting for some cleaner to loosen the lead, the Lewis pulls it out immediately.
The kit also has a special head that cleans the leading and carbon off the forcing cone.
The Lewis tool has been used by revolver shooters for just about forever.

For the chambers, use a Brownell's bronze chamber brush.

Note the video on the page:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=21587/Product/LEWIS_LEAD_REMOVER

Chamber brushes, buy several, DON'T use them in the barrel, and DON'T buy stainless steel, just bronze.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1287/Product/BRONZE_RIFLE_PISTOL_CHAMBER_BRUSHES

GRIZ22
March 17, 2010, 08:58 PM
I use Hoppe's #9. I'm not a fan of using mechanical means too much except judicious use of a bronze brush or a Lewis Lead Remover if it's really bad. If you let the Hoppe's sit and soak in for a while, brush, patch, swab with Hoppe's and repeat the process it has always worked for me. Let the solvent do the work not the brush.

Jim Davidson
March 17, 2010, 09:50 PM
I also use the LLR. In two minutes one can do what takes some an hour- no harm to the bore and most effective.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lead removal" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!