Hawken smacking me around

PDA

Guvnor
March 17, 2010, 08:40 PM
I have an investarms hawken. Its a nice gun but it smacks me in the cheek everytime I fire it. If I shoot about a dozen shots, ill actually have a small bruise over my cheekbone the next day.

None of my shotguns or other rifles do this, so I guess its the hawken stock? Any way to remedy this?

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Hawken smacking me around" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
floridaboy
March 17, 2010, 08:46 PM
Try a slip on recoil pad, because the stock might be too short for you. If that doesn't help, look for a cheek-piece pad.

MCgunner
March 17, 2010, 09:18 PM
When my Mossberg was doing that, I just shimmed the stock and increased drop at comb, fitted the gun to me and it works great now. Can't do that with the Hawken. I have one, too, Investarms, Cabela's Hawken Hunter Carbine. It's very light, 20" barrel, but really doesn't bother me with recoil. It has a nice cheek pad, monte carlo style stock. It also came with a recoil pad and blacked out furniture. It's not very authentic looking, but fits well and works great for a hunter. If yours is a standard stock, you might look around for the hunter stock from Cabelas. I can't tell you it'll fit YOU as well as it does me, though.

pohill
March 17, 2010, 10:20 PM
How many grains of powder are you using? I have a Hawkins .50 and my son has one, too. He's young and strong and uses 80 - 100 grs. I use 60 or so and my accuracy is just as good. Plus, it doesn't hurt as much.

MutinousDoug
March 17, 2010, 10:20 PM
I'm guessing you are shooting this rifle off a bench?
Shoot it offhand.
HTH

Guvnor
March 18, 2010, 08:51 AM
I have the same gun as MCgunner, the "sporterized" hawken except its the full length barrel version. I guess its simply a gun fit issue.

I use 70 grains and a round ball so recoil is pretty mild already. Yes I am shooting it from a bench. So I will try shooting offhand and see if its any better.

BHP FAN
March 18, 2010, 09:09 AM
You can still shoot sitting.Just remember to rest the rifle,not your elbows.You want to ''ride'' the recoil,not be the brunt of it.

madcratebuilder
March 18, 2010, 10:46 AM
You could try a lace on or elastic cheek pad. Sounds like a short stock fit to me. I have that problem with a few mil-surps I shoot.

This guy makes custom cheek pads very reasonably priced and very nice work.
http://www.czechmauseritis.com/new_leatherworking_011.htm

ontarget
March 19, 2010, 12:40 PM
Definitely, a short stock is your problem.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hawken smacking me around" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!