does some ammo break down over time? on purpose?

PDA

jlott00
March 17, 2010, 11:33 PM
i was told that possibly some federal ammo breaks down over time on purpose. as they came up with a powder that breaks down... so you cant store it.

also i noticed its not laquer sealed on the primer......

so does it break down????? and how well will it hold up not being sealed?
here is the ammo....

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/65756-5.html

If you enjoyed reading about "does some ammo break down over time? on purpose?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NOLAEMT
March 17, 2010, 11:35 PM
Myth...

Buy it buy it buy it buy it buy it buy it buy it buy it buy it

(Sorry, that was the nome that lives in my head talking, he always gets me into trouble, convincing me to buy more gun stuff:evil:)

Supertac45
March 17, 2010, 11:43 PM
Another lie.

jlott00
March 17, 2010, 11:43 PM
id hope so, but hell would you be surprised?

any thoughts on the primer?

Z-Michigan
March 17, 2010, 11:55 PM
Noncorrosive primers (all modern US production) should work fine for 30-50 years and may ("may") get less reliable with age. Nontoxic primers, generally used only in some handgun ammo, may have considerably shorter storage life than that, which is one of the reasons they haven't been adopted much.

Corrosive primers, which were the standard through WWII and common in the combloc through at least the 1980's, have pretty much indefinite storage life. Other components, like the case, will probably decay before they do.

bobelk99
March 17, 2010, 11:57 PM
The ammo should be good for 69 years or so.

The breakdown thing probably needs to be put in the Urban Legend category.

I just loaded some rounds with 45 year old powder, that was not sealed nearly as good as commercial ammo.

If you enjoyed reading about "does some ammo break down over time? on purpose?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!