I found the concept for my rifle build...

PDA

w_houle
March 18, 2010, 02:22 PM
http://www.antiquefirearms.com/images/hgfor/yaegerdreyse3.JPG
The Dreyse Needle Gun.
It's not going to be a reproduction, but just something along the style.
I'm not sure about the barrel, but I have been kicking around the idea of a gentle taper then flared out. Sort of like a P-08 barrel, but with some changes.
Still not 100% on what to chamber it in:(

If you enjoyed reading about "I found the concept for my rifle build..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
375shooter
March 18, 2010, 05:59 PM
That's an interesting project. I once customized a Mauser FR8 in 308, which has an 18 inch step barrel. I used hand tools to remove material to shape the stock and parts of the barrel to how I wanted. I changed the bolt handle and had it drilled and tapped to fit a Leupold Vari X III 1.75-6 short version. It's now one of my most cherished rifles. It's short, lightweight and very handy to use. It's not highly accurate, but is easily good enough out to 250 yards or more. I've hunted with it a lot and have shot quite a few deer and one big black bear.
Pat.

jonboynumba1
March 18, 2010, 06:01 PM
It seems to oddly make sense....like one in 7mm mauser does...I have no idea why but I bet they sell a few thousand of them

Abel
March 18, 2010, 06:03 PM
Go half octagon. Chamber it in 30-40 Krag or the 35 Krag wildcat.

w_houle
March 18, 2010, 08:35 PM
Go half octagon. Chamber it in 30-40 Krag or the 35 Krag wildcat.
That was also a consideration, then I could have it turn round as the barrel comes off the stock. I've just got to keep in consideration that this thing is going to wear iron sights. But if I do this it might be a good idea for me to use a hex receiver 91/30 rather that a Type 99 Arisaka so the receiver better matches the barre and a better chance of the .30-40 round working with the bolt.

If you enjoyed reading about "I found the concept for my rifle build..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!