boresnake

PDA

gb0399
March 18, 2010, 04:21 PM
Whats your opinion (we all have one) on bore snakes? I've started using one for routine cleanings and I really like it. However, I dont think it is a complete replacement for a good deep cleaning.

If you enjoyed reading about "boresnake" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
oneounceload
March 18, 2010, 04:29 PM
When the string breaks and the bore snake is inside the barrel - (especially a 22 size one), they can be a real PITA to extricate. Even small bore shotguns are real tight to pull through. Otherwise, they seem to do a decent job of getting the bore clean with a little solvent on them

Silent Sam
March 18, 2010, 05:22 PM
I think they work great. I use them right after shooting w/ the barrel warm. Easy to pack. Easy to clean. If you are worried about them breaking, tie a piece of shockcord to the other end long enough so one end of the snake is always out of the barrel.

LordDunsany
March 18, 2010, 06:14 PM
I use boresnakes an my handguns and long guns. I have noticed that the snake I use on the 12ga shotgun is really tough to pull through, like it is oversize for the bore. Haven't noticed that for any of the other snakes, even the .22.

Anyone else notice this? If so, what is a fix?

Ron

Strahley
March 18, 2010, 08:42 PM
I love them and own one for every caliber I have

HOLY DIVER
March 18, 2010, 08:53 PM
work great for me

dagger dog
March 18, 2010, 08:57 PM
Great to pack into the backpack for use in the feild, I have several calibers, the Otis systems are just as compact to to carry and are a little better for a thorough cleaning, bu the bore snakes do a decent job.

Nico Testosteros
March 18, 2010, 09:39 PM
i bought a boresnake for a .22. It was really tough to pull through and I gave up trying to pull it. And I am big and strong.

After reading about boresnakes breaking and getting stuck in barrels, I won't use one. Because that is pretty much the kind of thing that would happen to me and I frustrate easily.

AKElroy
March 18, 2010, 10:10 PM
If you are worried about them breaking, tie a piece of shockcord to the other end long enough so one end of the snake is always out of the barrel.

They break?? Seriously, I never run one through without dipping the leading piece just above the brush in a bottle of Hoppe's #9; I never even have one feel all that taught. I think that adds just enough lubricity to make it easy to pull through. I have them for every caliber & love em'; especially for shotguns.

aka108
March 18, 2010, 10:18 PM
The bore snakes are bound to get pretty filthy after a few uses. How do you clean them? I'd catch holy hell running them thru the washer with some of my wifes stuff.

sig220mw
March 18, 2010, 10:48 PM
I just happened to buy my first bore snake today at Academy and I get on THR and here is this thread......anyway according to the directions on mine, it's a Hoppe's, you're supposed to hand wash it or put it in a mesh bag in the washing machine.

I bought mine on advice of people on this web site and also from a couple of friends that also shoot a lot. I just hope it works as well as people say.

LibShooter
March 18, 2010, 10:51 PM
I use boresnakes in .22s, .30s and shotguns and they never feel too tight. Maybe it helps to spray the bores with some sort of cleaner/lubricant first. I clean mine by soaking them in a jar of mineral spirits, swishing it around, wringing them out and hanging them up for awhile.
Does that sound like a good idea?

aka108
March 18, 2010, 10:57 PM
I don't know what would be good but if my wifes's underwear came out from a washing machine smelling like Hoppes No. 9 I'd be, i'm sure, a miseable SOB for sure.

CZguy
March 19, 2010, 12:29 AM
The bore snakes are bound to get pretty filthy after a few uses. How do you clean them? I'd catch holy hell running them thru the washer with some of my wifes stuff.

My wife hasn't caught on yet as to why I sometimes don't mind doing laundry.

There is no smell or any other problems after washing.

I hang them up to dry.

ole farmerbuck
March 19, 2010, 12:40 AM
Just 'accidently' leave it in your jeans pocket.

hirundo82
March 19, 2010, 12:46 AM
I love boresnakes. I'm slowly accumulating one for every calibe I own.

I just wash mine with soap and warm water and hang it to dry.

fireman 9731
March 19, 2010, 12:50 AM
Boresnakes are the greatest invention since the metallic cartridge!

grimjaw
March 19, 2010, 12:59 AM
I use boresnakes on .22s or for a quick clean on stuff I don't want to attack with a brush. I'd read you don't vigorously go after some .22 rimfire bores with brass brushes, anyway.

Silent Sam
March 19, 2010, 02:09 AM
"I don't know what would be good but if my wifes's underwear came out from a washing machine smelling like Hoppes No. 9 I'd be, i'm sure, a miseable SOB for sure."

Imagine if it was the other way around...

Renigeid
March 19, 2010, 03:24 AM
Love em! One for every cal!

seanie!
March 19, 2010, 03:26 AM
I love them. They even come color coded!

oldfool
March 19, 2010, 03:54 AM
I thought they were keen, bought several in various calibers, most of which have never been used... used one a couple of times, gave it up
(also read a post by some poor fella on rimfirecentral who once broke a boresnake inside his 17HMR rifle... ONCE)

I buy 100 yards of 200# test monofilament saltwater fishing leader from BassPro instead, double over one end for a pull patch w/ short piece of heat shrink tubing from RadioShack... or else use 100# test doubled full length.. 100 yards = 50-100 "snakes" depending on line preference, cheap and disposable (although just one will last for many cleanings, 100 yards will last most folks years)
real handy for those smallbore 17s and 22s, but could easy double up line on larger cailbers if so inclined

coils up real small, handy to toss in a ziplock bag w/ some pre-cut patches for range kit, easy to thread in from action end, easy to pull thru
(just work up to your proper patch size slowly, 1st time for caliber, until you find "just right", when it squeaks just a little bit on the way thru)
non-abrasive, plenty stout enough, no washing required (ever)
if one gets a tad dirty, throw it away, cut off another yard or two
much less length req'd for a handgun, of course, especially convenient for revolvers, 22 revolvers in particular

PS
yes, I do have the full assortment of Dewey coated rods & accessories
just don't have to use them much anymore, only very infrequently

also "discovered" (when could not find a new 17 rod for new HMR rifle) that heavy weight flyline works "ok" a pinch, you can just tie several patches a few inches apart, pull on thru, whack off dirty end, repeat.. pricier than mono, though, not as easy to push in

oldfool
March 19, 2010, 04:01 AM
double tap

PT1911
March 19, 2010, 04:10 AM
I am a big fan...they are extremely handy to have at the range or with your cleaning supplies otherwise...

Gregaw
March 19, 2010, 09:06 AM
Just 'accidently' leave it in your jeans pocket.

Genius!

jpwilly
March 19, 2010, 10:42 AM
I use them and they work well enough for light cleaning. For copper removal and a good scrub with JB Paste not the right choice.

Also, why not just wash them all by themselves in the washing machine: turn the "load size" dial to "Small" and put the water temp knob on warm, add 1/4 cup of laundry soap then wash "normal". Don't put them in with your clothing people. And if the wife asks what your doing...you've been caught and your sneakery needs some work.

Hint: when she's going to shop or get a hair do or nails done etc etc...sieze the opportunity to do all things your wife would normaly blow up about...

Jon Weiler
March 19, 2010, 11:25 AM
A bore snake is a good way to wipe down your bore when you're in the field before you start shooting, i.e. hunting trip or backpacking/shooting trip. But they will not truly clean the bore of your rifle. A solid rod is the best and the products that you use are equally important. Nobody truly likes to clean their rifles after a day on the range, especially when you're tired from being in the sun and shooting. But there are several bore cleaners that work very quickly and are not abrasive to the bore itself. I like Bore Tech's Eliminator, but there are many more out there that work well.

It depends on what you are shooting and your accuracy expectations. A good maintenance routine should go hand in hand with your training plans.

gb0399
March 19, 2010, 05:34 PM
Hoppe's Boresnake video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD6Xg4g-v6o

Al LaVodka
March 21, 2010, 12:07 PM
I think they are GREAT! .22, .30, and 12 ga. Particularly for the 12 ga. between real once or twice per season cleanings though I have gone to a pre-wetted wipe to clean the outside, moving parts, then push it through the bore.
Al

If you enjoyed reading about "boresnake" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!