Anyone else dragging their feet on their CHL?

PDA

Vinny
March 18, 2010, 05:05 PM
I'm in Texas and I've finally signed up for class. Not sure why I waited other than life got in the way. I think the idea of sitting in class all day Saturday kept me from rushing out and signing up.

Anybody else dragging their feet?

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone else dragging their feet on their CHL?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
joelh
March 18, 2010, 05:08 PM
In my state (NC) it is the local sheriff that is dragging their feet. Took no less than 3 trips to the sheriffs office to get the application in and then it may be 3 months to get the permit back

captainofiron
March 18, 2010, 05:10 PM
My mom has had her certification of completion (of the class) for almost 2 years. She's been meaning to, but just hasn't.

Keauxbi
March 18, 2010, 05:13 PM
I'm in CO and if I didn't have to work Saturdays I'd have mine by now. Now I have a kid on the way, so I don't know when my next weekend to myself will be.

TIMC
March 18, 2010, 05:40 PM
I put it off for a while when the law first passed here in Texas; I don't know why just didn't make the time for a few years. I did however eventually go and have now attended two renewall classes so I have had mine for many years now. Get off your butt and go!

CoRoMo
March 18, 2010, 05:42 PM
Get off your butt and go!

This.

It's painless. It's fun. It's easy. It's worth it on so many different levels. Excuses are just lies that have a sweeter taste. Now go!:D

Omaha-BeenGlockin
March 18, 2010, 05:43 PM
The $250 price tag has been an obsticle----rifle in the trunk for now---most anywhere I would be --if anything were to happen I'd have enough time to deploy it---I also like the long range capabilities---no permit needed for a long gun.

The cat needs to be fixed too--$100 and I just bought a washer/dryer--fridge--tires--comp monitor---chain saw---garage door opener-----etc.................................life seems to be getting in the way of my gun disease.

M2 Carbine
March 18, 2010, 05:54 PM
Yes, the state/DPS is dragging their feet.
Last year it took 4.5 months to receive my 4th renewal.
A couple months ago it took my neighbor 4 months to get her 1st CHL.

As far as "foot dragging". I wasn't the first to get a CHL when the law was passed but I tried to be.
Back then it was a two day course.

I think the idea of sitting in class all day Saturday kept me from rushing out and signing up.

At first I was completely against the state cost and the class requirements.
I am a ex LEO and I can shoot (probably) better than 75 percent of gun owners, including the Police.
So why the heck should I have to sit in a class for a day and a half then, have to demonstrate that I can shoot a 250, almost with my eyes closed, on that Mickey Mouse 15 yard qualification..................

Well, I'm not too proud to admit that I was wrong.
I did not know all I thought I knew. I have actually had chances to sit in on the CHL class (free) when friends were taking the course and I never refuse. I always pick up something new.

And after seeing and hearing how ill informed people are in other states about the simplest thing, like what do I do when stopped by a LEO, I'm now 100% behind the mandatory class and shooting qualification. If it was up to me I'd make it harder.

The only thing that really irritates me is the DPS is allowed to take 4 months and longer to do a job they are supposed to do inside of 45 days.

buy guns
March 18, 2010, 06:07 PM
I'm putting it off but not by choice, I just can't afford a permit or carry gun right now.

DoubleTapDrew
March 18, 2010, 06:07 PM
I took my class on an impulse.
Went to a gun show with a buddy and as we were leaving we saw the sign for the 3 hour long onsite CHL class (I think it was $60 or so), I had just turned 21, and it started in about 10mins so we signed up and attended. There is no shooting portion in Oregon, basically they go over the laws about when you can and can't use deadly force, the pyramid, some talk about holsters and guns, and a few "war stories" from the officer that taught the class.
The hardest part was the county sherriff only accepted CHL applicants one day a week for about a 4 hour period in the middle of the day so I had to get time off work to do that (fill out app, turn in certificate of class completion, get fingerprinted and mugshots and agree to background check, give em $60).
I think it took about 1.5-2 months for the license to arrive but it seemed like a year.

nalioth
March 18, 2010, 06:53 PM
The $250 price tag has been an obsticle----rifle in the trunk for now---most anywhere I would be --if anything were to happen I'd have enough time to deploy it---I also like the long range capabilities---no permit needed for a long gun. Since November 2007, you've been legally allowed to have a concealed handgun in your automobile - no license needed.

Why keep a rifle in the trunk, when you can have your pistol (or rifle) right next to you?

Of course, if you're not in Texas, you're talking in the wrong thread :confused:

jimmyraythomason
March 18, 2010, 07:02 PM
So,how does this :Anybody else dragging their feet? justify this?Of course, if you're not in Texas, you're talking in the wrong thread

jimmyraythomason
March 18, 2010, 07:05 PM
Most folks here(NOT in Texas) that want a permit usually go just after their 18th birthday and get it. There is an application process but there's nothing to it. Pay the $20 fee wait about 10 minutes for the background check and walk out the door with your permit. No reason for foot dragging. Just do it.

nalioth
March 18, 2010, 07:14 PM
So,how does this :

justify this?

Of course, if you're not in Texas, you're talking in the wrong thread I guess if you're gonna quote out of context, we can talk about the proper thread weight for sewing gingham dresses here, too.

Vinny is from Texas, and says so in his original post.

jimmyraythomason
March 18, 2010, 07:20 PM
Vinny is from Texas, and says so in his original post. The OP's location has NOTHING to do with the question he asked. Nothing was taken out of context.

Dominus
March 18, 2010, 07:25 PM
NY is such a pain with the dumb as* questions they ask, like where and how often will you be shooting along with address's and telephone numbers of places. There are other dumb s**t on the app. but I'll spare you all.:cuss::banghead:

So YES I did drag my feet and procrastinate for just over 3 years (from 2006 to 2009), all in the hopes of the process being improved but no such luck....:barf:

Floppy_D
March 18, 2010, 07:30 PM
Easy guys, we're on the same team. :) He states he's from TX, but it isn't in the thread title.

I claim TX as my home of reference, and have been stationed outside of there for 8+ years for .mil purposes. I have a valid VA carry permit, and am stationed in FL now. I haven't bothered with a FL permit yet because I'm in a training pipeline that may send me anywhere in the next few months (with the longer term prospect of not being back here.) For me, if I go anywhere, it's usually on base, where I can't carry. If I'm at home, I carry at home. If I'm in my car, there's probably a carry weapon there (as long as I'm not headed to base.) My family hasn't made it down here yet, and won't for a few months.

Thus, I drag my feet.

EddieNFL
The cat needs to be fixed too--$100

Man! How much is .22 ammo where you live?

DFW1911
Vinny,

Do it! The class is very, very informative. I can assure you that you will not be bored.

If you're in DFW, I used the Bullet Trap and they did a great job with everything needed.

It took me about two months to actually receive my CHL. I kept in touch with several other class members: some received theirs sooner, others later, but we all got them, which is what really matters.

On a personal note, I'd appreciate you getting your CHL. It's nice to know that good folks are CCW on a daily basis.

Take care,
DFW1911

Bhamrichard
March 18, 2010, 07:31 PM
No footsie dragging here, I turned 21, turned in the app that day and walked out with my permit. Been renewing it every year since.. For 7.50 a year it's hard not to.

Kevin5098
March 18, 2010, 07:34 PM
So far my threat level has not been high enough to justify the expense (abt $200 here in MO). I don't see that changing any time soon as I'm planning to move to rural Maine in the next year.

RollerCam
March 18, 2010, 07:40 PM
THIS QUOTE: "It's painless. It's fun. It's easy. It's worth it on so many different levels. Excuses are just lies that have a sweeter taste. Now go!"

...and THIS QUOTE: "The Second Amendment of our Bill of Rights is my concealed weapons permit, period!"
Ted Nugent

...are incongruous.

A permit gives permission to do something that would otherwise be illegal.

Do you see what Ted was saying?

jimmyraythomason
March 18, 2010, 07:45 PM
A permit gives permission to do something that would otherwise be illegal.
And this still doesn't relieve anyone of the responsibility to obey the law. I doubt any judge would give any creedence to this defense.

Gouranga
March 18, 2010, 08:00 PM
I am in NC, cost me $90 for the permit $100 for the class and full day on a Saturday. Definitely worth it. Took 4 weeks to get approved. 2 trips to get it (1 for the application and fingerprinting, 1 to pick it up). Of course not all counties have the same luck as mine. Depends on the Sheriff.

The class is worth it alone(in NC anyway). They teach you a TON about the laws in the state, generally how they are interpreted in court(because in NC they are vague), and some surprises (like how almost laughably crappy NC's Castle Doctrine is).

Definitely stop the foot dragging and get on in there.

tubeshooter
March 18, 2010, 08:50 PM
I recently took the class after putting it off forever and a day.

I think it was 9 hours of classroom lecture, about 2 hours worth of film, about an hour's worth of shooting (6 students) and about 30 minutes for a written test.

It was a brutally long day - and I'm actually a fan of firearms. You definitely have to want it. But I did learn some things, and I don't think it's too much to ask for John Q. Citizen to go through considering the great responsibility.

Now I get to play the waiting game. I'm glad I went ahead and did it. If it's something you want to do but just can't quite work it out, I'd say try to make it happen. If it's something you have reservations about, the hoops you have to jump through will keep you away anyway.

The Lone Haranguer
March 18, 2010, 08:57 PM
I am too occupied with paying ever increasing bills on ever decreasing money to come up with the $115 state fee and $70-$90 for a class, as well as never having Saturdays off for a class. Otherwise I would love to have a HCP (Handgun Carry Permit, as it is called here) as I did in AZ.

M2 Carbine
March 18, 2010, 10:45 PM
Texas was taking so long to get my CHL renewal, it looked like I wasn't going to be able to carry for a while.
I filled out the Pennsylvania application for a non resident license ($26). I received it 11 days after I mailed it.

For those interested, this is the TX CHL shooting qualification target.
50 rounds, all timed, 1 shot in two seconds to 5 shots in 15 seconds. 3 to 15 yards.
It's interesting that this is only this young lady's SECOND day shooting and her first time shooting my Kimber Compact and her first time shooting at 15 yards. I ran her through the course for the heck of it.
Her score is 242/250.:)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/LindseyshootingCHL.jpg

nosmr2
March 18, 2010, 10:56 PM
Texas has gotten much quicker on the processing end. I mailed mine in Jan 19th and had it back around Feb 14th. My neighbor's took the same amount of time.

Vinny
March 18, 2010, 11:53 PM
If you're in DFW, I used the Bullet Trap and they did a great job with everything needed.

Hey, thx for the recommendation. I like the Bullet Trap, bought my M&P40 there, but even though I work near there, I live an hour away so I'll be in Grand Prairie instead just to avoid the commute because the highways are unpredictable and I can see myself showing up late. Weather forecast shows rain so I guess I picked a perfect Saturday for an indoor activity.

Funny thing, truth be told, my wife has been on my butt to take the class soon. :o

Nosmr2,
Thanks for the feedback. I was wondering if I was going to have to wait until Christmas before my license comes in.

hadmanysons
March 19, 2010, 02:10 AM
I took my friend to a FREE!! class and it took him 4 months to send it in. Then, the Arkansas State Police required additional info stuff from him (he's military) and I guess they got so sick of seeing his application on their desk cause one day (about 4 more months later) his CHL arrived in the mail. *facepalm*

captainofiron
March 19, 2010, 02:32 AM
Not to be a jerk, M2 Carbine, but my instructor advised against having any proof that you knew what your score was on qualification.
He said something about prosecutors having used them in the past against defendants.

Thus, he only told us if we passed or failed, never our scores.

Grassman
March 19, 2010, 08:32 AM
Just the $325 holding me back, hopefully some day soon.

dom1104
March 19, 2010, 08:38 AM
I cannot fathom someone not running out to get their permit as soon as humanly possible. This thread shocks and stupifies me.

You all must be pretty cozy and secure with this government, they would NEVER take the ability to get a CCW away. No sir, plenty of time to get one of those.

Just get it done, the price wont be going DOWN anytime soon.

Taurus 617 CCW
March 19, 2010, 08:49 AM
I filed for my Oregon permit the year I turned 21. I got my Utah permit last year. I feel that's about all I need. Florida would give me a few more states but I don't think it would be worth the extra fee.

heeler
March 19, 2010, 09:09 AM
I drug my feet forever as well.
But I completed my class on 2/27 and am currently waiting for plastic to be delivered which lately here in Texas appears to be in under 40 days providing you don't have a checkered past.
One of the reasons I finally got off my butt to get this done is that I do a fair amount of long distance motorcycle riding across Texas and the west and have had a couple of uncomfortable scares in the past when traveling.You know,you are alone,packed up and going somewhere and the bad element also knows this as well and knows also that when you are traveling you have cash on you.
Got faced with a really bad situation in the mountains of central Arizona one day by three miscreants that I will not forget any time soon.
I was armed of course as in Texas you can travel with a firearm.-You just were not supposed to have it on your person.
But you may or may not be legal in another state.
And the fact is so many states now reciprocate with Texas it just made no sense to not be 100 percent legal.
Except in California..Great roads and weather,but a horrible legal/legislative system.
If one can get their license to carry do it before the tides from the left make it far more difficult.

az_imuth
March 19, 2010, 09:32 AM
In Texas, I think a lot of the foot-dragging is due to the ridiculously high costs. The licensing fee, class fee, and other miscellaneous costs add up to around $250-$300 here. That makes it cost prohibitive for some folks, and even more so for those who have to tack the price of a handgun, holster, etc. on top of that.

CoRoMo
March 19, 2010, 10:09 AM
Post #6 Quotes...
...are incongruous. Of course; those two quotes have inconsistent contexts. The first quote is about the benefit and relative simplicity of the permit process. My sig line is about the 2nd Amendment.

A permit gives permission to do something that would otherwise be illegal. Minor technical issues aside, you're right.

Do you see what Ted was saying? More than most do, yes.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=5537979

nalioth
March 19, 2010, 03:18 PM
I was armed of course as in Texas you can travel with a firearm.-You just were not supposed to have it on your person. Actually, the "travelling" law doesn't specify how you should carry your weapons.

IOW, if I travel from Houston to Dallas, and have my pistol in a shoulder holster (concealed or otherwise), I'm legal.

Do not confuse the newer 2007 law with the far older "travelling" statute.

Nick5182
March 19, 2010, 03:47 PM
I didn't drag my feet at all lol. I took the class the day before my 21st birthday and had my permit 3 days later.

RollerCam
March 19, 2010, 03:53 PM
CoRoMo, maybe I should have said it this way:

The principle of asking for permission and then paying money to a governmental agency so that they'll "grant" you a permit to exercise one of your Constitutional rights is incongruous with your signature line.

Ted's quote plainly says that he's NOT down with the "permit" principle, but your post indicates that you're just fine with the process and actually recommend it to others.

http://images.usatoday.com/life/_photos/2004/2004-01/13-ted-nugent-inside.jpg

jimmyraythomason
March 19, 2010, 04:01 PM
While I can't speak for anyone else.your post indicates that you're just fine with the process and actually recommend it to others. I am "fine with and recommend to others" that laws should be obeyed and contested at the legislative level.

CoRoMo
March 19, 2010, 06:11 PM
...you're just fine with the process and actually recommend it to others.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=5537979

I've explained it a few times over the years, the link above might be the better post. Anyone here who's familiar with me, probably knows all too well how I look at these things. Saying that I'm "just fine with the process" certainly goes too far. I'm not, but I highly recommend that everyone who wants to carry, do so legally. If that means spending a Saturday afternoon in a classroom to get a permit, do it, because it's worth it.

jimmyraythomason
March 19, 2010, 07:55 PM
I didn't drag my feet at all lol. I took the class the day before my 21st birthday and had my permit 3 days later.
Just FWIW many Alabama counties issue pistol permits to 18 and 19 year old applicants. In fact,I got mine at age 20. Not germane to this conversation just thrown out for consideration.

M2 Carbine
March 20, 2010, 01:15 AM
Not to be a jerk, M2 Carbine, but my instructor advised against having any proof that you knew what your score was on qualification.
He said something about prosecutors having used them in the past against defendants.
I've heard that story to.
Anyhow the place I go we are standing by the targets as the range officer scores them. Then we take the target with us.
The range officer just puts pass on the paperwork.

Funny story.
On my 2nd renewal a good friend was shooting beside me. Even though he can use my range anytime he wants he doesn't shoot a lot. My friend passed but scattered the bullets around a bit. One shot was in his target's left elbow.

When the range officer looked at my target it was pretty much a couple inch hole in the center of the target.
The range officer said to me, "I guess you are going to tell me that all 50 shots went through this hole."

I said, "All but one. I put that one in the elbow of my friend's target".:D

M2 Carbine
March 20, 2010, 01:30 AM
In Texas, I think a lot of the foot-dragging is due to the ridiculously high costs.
Another reason people don't get their CHL or even learn to shoot is they are incredibly lazy.
I don't know how many people, that expressed an interest in learning to shoot and get their CHL, that I've invited out my place to learn to shoot (using my guns and my ammunition) and they are too lazy to drive 15 minutes, even when the shooting lessons and ammunition is free.:banghead:

NinjaFeint
March 20, 2010, 01:31 AM
Well here in CT you have to get a carry permit to purchase handguns, so no dragging of the feet for me. On the plus side, it only cost me $80 and it was a painless process for me.

As a procrastinater of the highest level, I would recommend everyone get a carry permit for their state. It may take you a while to get your EDC rig figured out, so you might as well start as soon as possible.

CajunBass
March 20, 2010, 06:54 AM
I put off getting mine for years. Didn't see any real need to, to tell you the truth. I didn't want/need to carry a gun often, and when I did, I did. (Gasp...shock...YES! :what: I broke the law.)

But then I married a girl from Chicago. When she moved here and found out she could (1) own a gun, and (2) actually get a permit to carry it, she insisted that we both get them.

Her best argument was this. "If we don't take advantage of this law, 'they' will just say 'Nobody wanted this in the first place. Let's repeal it.'" Every CHP issued is a stake driven into the anti-gunners hearts. Every CHP issued is a shot across the bow of an anti-gun politician.

Yes, I wish like most of you, we didn't have to get a permit. I believe "the 2nd Ammendment is my CHP", as I believe someone once said, but in the practical world we need permits. Getting locked up doesn't help the cause right now.

captainofiron
March 20, 2010, 01:18 PM
I've heard that story to.
Anyhow the place I go we are standing by the targets as the range officer scores them. Then we take the target with us.
The range officer just puts pass on the paperwork.

Funny story.
On my 2nd renewal a good friend was shooting beside me. Even though he can use my range anytime he wants he doesn't shoot a lot. My friend passed but scattered the bullets around a bit. One shot was in his target's left elbow.

When the range officer looked at my target it was pretty much a couple inch hole in the center of the target.
The range officer said to me, "I guess you are going to tell me that all 50 shots went through this hole."

I said, "All but one. I put that one in the elbow of my friend's target".
Heheheh, your friend wasn't as bad as you think.
The guy to my left (didn't know him), brought a camo glock with a threaded barrel. He was giving everyone at the range the "1,000 yard with a side of hairy eyeballs" stare like he was John Wayne himself.
Anyway, when he tried to load the .45acp he brought it wouldn't work in his 9mm glock. His chest deflated quite a bit after that.

Jimineer
March 20, 2010, 01:23 PM
I keep buying guns and therefore don't have the cash to take to class. Vinny, where in DFW are you going to take the class if you don't mind me asking. I'm thinking Bullet Trap for me.
Thanks.

Losov
March 20, 2010, 01:38 PM
As someone mentioned, a Sheriff in NC is also dragging his feet on mine. I did, however, receive a solicitation in the mail to join the Sheriffs' Association. Could the time frame on the issuance of my permit be linked to my signing up? One wonders . . . .

THe Dove
March 20, 2010, 01:40 PM
"I ran her through the course for the heck of it.
Her score is 242/250." If that is correct then no harm done IMO.

I took it that she was not in the class??????

The Dove

Vinny
March 21, 2010, 12:23 AM
Another reason people don't get their CHL or even learn to shoot is they are incredibly lazy.
I don't know how many people, that expressed an interest in learning to shoot and get their CHL, that I've invited out my place to learn to shoot (using my guns and my ammunition) and they are too lazy to drive 15 minutes, even when the shooting lessons and ammunition is free.:banghead:

That's incredibly generous of you. If those folks only knew the cost involved in finding a range nearby let alone free lessons and ammo. Heck, I bet you'll even let them try a bunch of different handguns and caliber. If they only knew how much it would cost to rent a few of them to test out.

Vinny
March 21, 2010, 12:34 AM
I keep buying guns and therefore don't have the cash to take to class. Vinny, where in DFW are you going to take the class if you don't mind me asking. I'm thinking Bullet Trap for me.
Thanks.

Don't forget the $140 fee you need to send in to the DPS in addition to the class fee.

I went to The Academy for Firearms Training in Grand Prairie. Fantastic group of people. Not as fancy as the Bullet Trap but they tell me, while I'm already sitting in class, that they've graduated the largest number of CHL students in the U.S. You wouldn't think that when looking at the building.

http://chltraining.com/index.html

Edit: Not knocking on the Bullet Trap. Great folks there, too. I'm a customer there but I didn't take their CHL class so I can't compare the two.

Vinny
March 21, 2010, 12:44 AM
Passed! Wasn't difficult. I thought the class would be long and boring. Boy, was I wrong. Tons of useful stuff. I had some great instructors with field knowledge. Went by very quickly. Should have done it sooner. Now, I just need to mail in my package and practice looking for 30.06 signs.

M2 Carbine
March 21, 2010, 01:47 AM
That's incredibly generous of you. If those folks only knew the cost involved in finding a range nearby let alone free lessons and ammo. Heck, I bet you'll even let them try a bunch of different handguns and caliber. If they only knew how much it would cost to rent a few of them to test out.
As long as I can afford it I don't mind.
The cost of 38, 9mm and 45ACP is a lot of money to many young people. If they had to buy it they simply couldn't afford to lean to shoot much beyound a 22, if that.
But we have gone through a lot of 38 Special, 9mm and 45 this last year. I think we're working on the last thousand rounds of 38. Time to crank up the loading press.:)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/Lindseyandnatilyshootinglefthanded.jpg

Different guns?
Yes, I try to keep it interesting by introducing new shooters to a lot of different handguns and such as the AR and AK, etc.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/50yardsNat3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/AKNat.jpg

This lady eventually bought a 38 Rossi and G19. She wants to get a AR, so I taught her to shoot the AR to.
I did save on the .223 ammo when teaching this lady and the young lady above to shoot the AR, by having them first run a lot of 22LR ammo through my S&W M&P 15-22. The S&W is exactly like the AR, so when they picked up the AR they were completely comfortable with it.:)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/ChrisAR.jpg

M2 Carbine
March 21, 2010, 02:02 AM
"I ran her through the course for the heck of it.
Her score is 242/250." If that is correct then no harm done IMO.

I took it that she was not in the class??????

The Dove
No, she wasn't in the CHL class. Way back a friend kept bugging me to go through the DPS instructor's class and license my range but I just don't have the time.

Some ladies were trying to get me to have a little basic course just for new female shooters but even that opens too big a can of worms. So I just keep it at, once in a while teaching friends of friends.

If the new shooter does intend getting their CHL I'll run them through the shooting course just for practice.

THe Dove
March 21, 2010, 02:56 PM
EGGGZEELENT M2.... Do you want me to send your friends some OU Sooners sweatshirts or T-shirt to wear while playing? HAHAHA I noticed the Aggie shirt(s) amigo and just had to chirp! BOOMER SOONER!!!

The Dove

TIMC
March 21, 2010, 06:40 PM

Thus, he only told us if we passed or failed, never our scores.

My instructor said the same thing but when he looked at my target with one large hole in the center you could put your fist through he said I guess you know your score!
:D

Airman193SOS
March 21, 2010, 08:07 PM
My wife has never had one, whereas I have had mine for the entire time we've been married. I keep telling her that it will take her 20 minutes to fill out the application and another 40 to be processed and it's done, but she keeps blowing it off.

Now she has to get it. she just bought a Ruger LCP on a whim. It's hers, purchased in her name, so if she wants to use it for its intended purpose she needs to get it. I'm getting her the application tomorrow.

orbitup
March 21, 2010, 08:28 PM
M2 - Do you only let women shoot out there? Or do you just take pictures of them and not the guys?

It looks like a fun place to shoot.

I have been dragging my feet on getting my CHL too. I always have something more pressing to spend our $ on. I did use my bonus on a carry gun though.

TexasPatriot.308
March 21, 2010, 08:46 PM
I cant see getting one unless you want to carry away from your vehicle, the Castle Law covers you in your vehicle, a former CCL instructor friend of mine quit teaching it cause he said we really dont need it except for a couple of reasons like buying firearms wait for OK, etc. you can carry a loaded pistol in Texas legally in your vehicle:D, like they say we dont need no stinkin permit......

M2 Carbine
March 21, 2010, 09:18 PM
M2 - Do you only let women shoot out there? Or do you just take pictures of them and not the guys?

Looks like that doesn't it?:)

This young fellow and his brothers have been shooting here since they were so young they couldn't pull the slide on the Beretta 21A I had them shooting.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/30yardsScott.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/KyleSIG.jpg

I started the young boys out on the little Beretta because they could load the chamber using the tip up barrel.
When they were still shooting the Beretta I ran them through the CHL qualification one day for the fun of it. They shot in the 230's using the little mouse gun.:)

M2 Carbine
March 21, 2010, 09:31 PM
I cant see getting one unless you want to carry away from your vehicle, the Castle Law covers you in your vehicle, a former CCL instructor friend of mine quit teaching it cause he said we really dont need it except for a couple of reasons like buying firearms wait for OK, etc. you can carry a loaded pistol in Texas legally in your vehicle, like they say we dont need no stinkin permit......
But, probably where are you going have to use the gun? Most likely, other than a car jacking, you will need the gun when you are away from your car.
The gun in the car isn't going to do you any good when you are, say walking across some parking lot and get in trouble.

orionengnr
March 21, 2010, 09:37 PM
Every CHP issued is a stake driven into the anti-gunners hearts. Every CHP issued is a shot across the bow of an anti-gun politician.

Yes, I wish like most of you, we didn't have to get a permit. I believe "the 2nd Ammendment is my CHP", as I believe someone once said, but in the practical world we need permits. Getting locked up doesn't help the cause right now.

Exactly.

BTW, take a look at http://www.safeshot.com/ in Fort Worth. Very well done operation by a Fort Worth PD detective. I did my initial and my renewal there.

First class operation, very reasonable prices.

JohnKSa
March 21, 2010, 09:50 PM
Actually, the "travelling" law doesn't specify how you should carry your weapons.

IOW, if I travel from Houston to Dallas, and have my pistol in a shoulder holster (concealed or otherwise), I'm legal.

Do not confuse the newer 2007 law with the far older "travelling" statute.Without getting into whether you're right or wrong (and it looks to me as if you are probably right) from a practical standpoint one should expect to be arrested if caught openly carrying a handgun in TX.

effengee
March 21, 2010, 09:59 PM
Where you don't need permission to exercise your second amendment right.
I don't need a permit or a license to openly carry, partially or fully concealed carry, my 1911 can be fully loaded with one in the pipe, and I haven't taken anything more structured in firearms training than a basic hunter safety course for my hunting license when I was 14.

All you need is to be over 18 for long arms (Rifle and shotgun) and over 21 for handguns, your picture ID Vermont driver's license and a clean NCIC backround check to walk in and buy a gun and then go get a cheeseburger...

FREEDOM AND UNITY!!!

effengee
March 21, 2010, 10:01 PM
Then again, here in Vermont, I don't need no stinkin' CHL:neener:

22-rimfire
March 21, 2010, 10:04 PM
I would get the permit if possible as it reduces the hassle factor both inside and outside Texas. I keep a J-frame Smith in my vehicle and sometimes carry it depending on the situation. It is almost always there. It is always loaded which is illegal in my state unless you have a permit. So, the permit just reduces the hassle factor and you are less likely to be looking over your shoulder or thinking about whether you are legal.

Vinny, I know you got yours or at least will be applying for it.

Vinny
March 21, 2010, 10:21 PM
Without getting into whether you're right or wrong (and it looks to me as if you are probably right) from a practical standpoint one should expect to be arrested if caught openly carrying a handgun in TX.

John is correct. Texas House Bill 1815.

"person commits an offense if the person
intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or
her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person
or under the person's control at any time in which:
(1) the handgun is in plain view; "

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/Text.aspx?LegSess=80R&Bill=HB1815

Last Action: 06/15/2007 E Effective on 9/1/07

nalioth
March 21, 2010, 10:26 PM
Without getting into whether you're right or wrong (and it looks to me as if you are probably right) from a practical standpoint one should expect to be arrested if caught openly carrying a handgun in TX.
John is correct. Texas House Bill 1815.

"person commits an offense if the person
intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or
her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person
or under the person's control at any time in which:
(1) the handgun is in plain view; "

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillL...0R&Bill=HB1815Correct in what?

My post (the one he quoted) points out the older "travelling" law (you have quoted the newer 2007 law)

Believe it or not, but there are communities in Texas where open carry doesn't raise any eyebrows or lead to arrests. . .

Vinny
March 21, 2010, 10:29 PM
Nalioth,
You're correct also. I couldn't find a specific location in the 2007 bill.
Just noticed you're from Houston. Got a question for you. I heard the DA isn't going to honor the 2007 "travel" law and will prosecute if you're traveling with a hand gun in your car even if it's not visible. Have you heard that?

Avenger29
March 21, 2010, 11:41 PM
Nope, no problem with dragging my feet to get my CCW permit. Took the class a month before my 21st birthday, dropped my application and check into the mail to SLED on my birthday, received my permit three months later.

Unfortunatly, my due diligence in procuring my CCW permit has not helped me much in carrying, for I go to college and up until very recently, worked at a federal site, so I spent the majority of my time in restricted area.

GBExpat
March 22, 2010, 10:31 AM

I did, long ago, when I thought that a class was required by all here in VA. I did not have the time available to take such a class.

I then found out that those who had been previously issued a license did not have to take the class, so I rooted thru my files for one of my old licenses from the '70s or '80s. ... :)

cchris
March 25, 2010, 01:09 AM
I'll get around to signing up for the class, just as soon as I finish procrastinating...

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone else dragging their feet on their CHL?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!