This is wierd - NIB rifle was loaded, fires...

PDA

Preacherman
November 22, 2003, 07:39 PM
From the Cincinnati Advertiser, 11/21/03 (http://www.cincypost.com/2003/11/21/newgun112103.html):

Rifle fires unexpectedly; dad shot
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Shelly Whitehead
Post staff reporter

Investigators are still trying to piece together how Austin Woosley's prized 17th birthday gift -- a newly purchased and presumably unloaded rifle -- fired a bullet into his dad's leg as the two drove home from a Florence sporting goods store.

Mike Woosley, a 43-year-old corporate jet inspector, lost control of the car when the bullet slammed into his thigh that afternoon. Seconds later, he and his son were waist-deep in water after their family van careened off Big Bone Road and landed in a Union farm pond.

How the bullet that hit Mike Woosley got into the chamber of a brand-new gun still in the box is a question that is baffling police, the gun manufacturer and the Woosleys.

Today as the Woosleys retell their Oct. 14 experience, they seem astonished by their relative good fortune. Though Mike Woosley will soon have surgery to remove six bullet fragments from his right thigh, and the family's van is a total loss, the two are thankful things are not much worse.

"He could have shot himself," Mike Woosley said, glancing at his son in the Woosley's Union home.

The words strike a painful chord with his son.

"That's what really is on my mind. What if it hit him in the head? What if it had hit Mycah?" Austin asks, referring to his 5-year-old sister, who had begged to go along that day.

Questions like those make ballistic test results on the Marlin .17-caliber rifle all the more important to the Woosleys. Still, tests on the weapon at the Kentucky State Police Central Lab in Frankfort can only determine whether the firearm works properly.

Boone County Sheriff's Department investigators are now calling the shooting an "accident." But when deputies first arrived at the scene that Tuesday, they didn't know whether the shooting was accidental, intentional or self-inflicted.

Both father and son tell a story of a freak accident that everyone from federal firearms agents, state ballistics experts and Boone County investigators say they have never heard even alleged before.

Two days before the shooting, Mike Woosley bought a Savage .17-caliber rifle for his son's December birthday. Austin, however, changed his mind, opting to exchange the Savage for the more expensive Marlin.

The two said when they went to exchange rifles at Dick's Sporting Goods in Florence Oct. 14, the store was filled with customers. But after completing the mandatory background checks and firearms license paperwork, the Woosleys said the clerk brought the boxed $240 Marlin "varmint" rifle from the stock room.

Mike Woosley said no one opened the box to check the serial number on the gun before the purchase was completed and the clerk walked the boxed gun out the business' door, as required. Representatives of Dick's Sporting Goods did not return calls to answer questions about the incident -- whether the gun had been a returned item or whether employees are required to check serial numbers on the gun itself, rather than merely the gun box.

As the Woosleys headed home, Mike thought their only challenge was going to be telling his wife about the birthday purchase for his son. Father and son made a plan to tuck the purchase away until Austin's birthday, allowing some time to break the news to mom.

Austin "wanted to see the gun one more time since Mom didn't know we'd bought it," said Mike.

"So he reaches between the seats and puts the box in his lap and opens it up. I said, 'That's a beautiful gun.' -- Then I saw he put his hand in there and it went off. -- It hit in my right thigh. The bullet hit the bone and it was going so fast it went to pieces."

After swerving to avoid a tree and an oncoming truck, the minivan sped across a field and into a farm pond at the intersection of Big Bone Road and Rice Pike. It was only then that Mike realized he'd been shot.

Austin recalls his dad's deep moans and his own panic as the van filled with water. But the soft-spoken, home-schooled teen-ager regained enough composure to find the cell phone and call for help.

"Austin got the cell phone and called 911. You were screaming," Mike said, smiling at his worried-looking son.

"He said, 'I shot my dad! I shot my dad!' He was screaming to them. -- I was gushing blood, just like a stream of water coming out when the cops came. -- And they took him away and separated us at the scene."

Today Austin admits he wanted to touch the gun that day, but he has no recollection of touching the trigger. Neither Mike nor Austin say they had any idea there was ammunition in the rifle, as they now allege.

Boone County Sheriff's Department Crime Bureau Commander Maj. Jack Banks said an unopened box of ammunition was found in the van. Investigators say there were no rounds in the rifle and no casings were found.

"We sent it (the rifle) to the lab to determine if it's in working order," Banks said. "As far as knowing whether the bullet was in the weapon when it was purchased, I don' t know whether we'll ever be able to determine that.

"We have victims alleging a round was in the weapon. -- When you're talking ballistics (tests) -- they couldn't link that specific round to that specific gun. -- There's no way to do that. -- There's no rifling."

Kentucky State Police say ballistics testing on the firearms at their central lab will likely take months due to the lab's considerable case backlog from across the state. And even when complete, such lab tests can only provide very specific information, largely concerning the functioning of the weapon.

"They'll run the gun through the paces -- to make sure it's operating properly," said Kentucky State Police Sgt. Phil Crumpton.

"According to the lab person, this is the first case they've heard of -- saying something was left in (a new gun's) chamber."

Many other investigators and weapons experts agreed the case was a first -- investigating whether an unopened boxed gun was sold with a live round in the chamber. Boone County Sheriff's Department detectives, veteran Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives agents, and even an executive with the company that manufactured the rifle in question said they had never heard of a similar incident.

"To my knowledge, a loaded gun never left here," said Tony Aeschliman, marketing manager for Marlin Firearms Co. in North Haven, Conn.

"They (newly manufactured guns) get fired -- proof-fired and function-fired -- before they leave the building. But there are several steps after that where rods are run down the barrel of the gun to make sure they aren't loaded. --

"It's virtually impossible for a gun to get out of here with anything in it. -- Also, because he took the carton from the store without opening it (and) -- they're not hermetically sealed, anyone could have handled it before that."

Aeschliman said Dick's Sporting Goods stores receive Marlin Firearms Co. merchandise directly from the factory, with no intermediary stops or distributors along the way.

If you enjoyed reading about "This is wierd - NIB rifle was loaded, fires..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tcdrennen
November 22, 2003, 07:56 PM
However the round got in the rifle (and no case found? Ooooh, I didn't know .17 WMR was a caseless round :rolleyes: ) somebody put their finger(s) in the trigger quard while the gun was pointed in an unsafe direction. Duh.

And handling a weapon in a moving vehicle? Dunno about Ohio, but in CA that's a violation of about 3 laws right there - conviction on any of which will result in at least a 10 year ban on possession of firerams period. If they go for felony (and in the PRK such laws are sometimes "wobblers" charged as felonies and MAYBE misdemeanors after sentencing.)

Dad needs a serious refresher on firearms safety - and sonny needs some serious sanctions 'til he gets his head straight.

And that's assuming (hard as it might be to believe) that no-one is lying through their teeth.

Idiots. Just what we need; more ammo for the Brady bliss ninnies. :cuss: :banghead: :fire:

DragonRider
November 22, 2003, 07:57 PM
Yet another reason to always check to make sure the gun is unloaded, also, who here would bye a rifle unseen if you had the chance to look at it first to see if their was a problem with it?:confused:

possenti
November 22, 2003, 08:02 PM
Holy crap! That's only about 10 miles from me! I haven't heard this story around my neck of the woods yet - but I'm sure I will. (BTW - stop snickering about the name of the road mentioned above - It's not what you think.)

My guess would be someone at Dick's sporting goods was screwing around with the rifle, even though the box appeared to be unopened. I buy some of my paintball supplies at Dick's, but the guns and accesories selection doesn't do much for me.

HABU
November 22, 2003, 08:04 PM
Not opnly did the rifle load its self, but it fired its self too!:rolleyes:

DMK
November 22, 2003, 08:16 PM
How the bullet that hit Mike Woosley got into the chamber of a brand-new gun still in the box is a question that is baffling police, the gun manufacturer and the Woosleys. Show of hands, who here takes possesion of a firearm without checking to see if it's unloaded first?

It took three idiots for this to happen: The salesperson at the gunstore, the father and the son. :rolleyes:

Mark Tyson
November 22, 2003, 08:26 PM
I get the feeling someone is lying here.

WonderNine
November 22, 2003, 08:32 PM
Not opnly did the rifle load its self, but it fired its self too!

Me too.

cordex
November 22, 2003, 08:34 PM
How do we treat all assembled firearms?

As if they were loaded.

zahc
November 22, 2003, 08:38 PM
"We have victims alleging a round was in the weapon. -- When you're talking ballistics (tests) -- they couldn't link that specific round to that specific gun. -- There's no way to do that. -- There's no rifling."

What about ballistic fingerprinting?:confused:

:rolleyes:

P95Carry
November 22, 2003, 08:42 PM
Excuse the cynicism but frankly .. this does not all add up into a neat and perfect package.:rolleyes:

That aside ... please everyone (not so much here but ''out there'' ).........

EVERY

Gun is loaded ......

Boxed new, boxed used, out of box, just been cleared by someone else ..... it is loaded.:cuss:

Hell of a narrow escape... and for that I am relieved but still ... somethin don't quite add up - yet.

Sven
November 22, 2003, 08:44 PM
4 rules.

Betty
November 22, 2003, 08:45 PM
"Don't meddle with old unloaded firearms. They are the most deadly and unerring things that have ever been created by man. You don't have to take any pains at all with them; you don't have to have a rest, you don't have to have any sights on the gun, you don't have to take aim, even. No, you just pick out a relative and bang away, and you are sure to get him. A youth who can't hit a cathedral at thirty yards with a Gatling gun in three-quarters of an hour, can take up an old empty musket and bag his mother every time at a hundred. Think what Waterloo would have been if one of the armies had been boys armed with old rusty muskets supposed not to be loaded, and the other army had been composed of their female relations. The very thought of it makes me shudder."

Mark Twain - Advice to Youth speech, 4/15/1882

4v50 Gary
November 22, 2003, 08:53 PM
Now that's one heckuva Mark Twain speech. Samuel Clemens served in some Arkansas regiment early in the Civil War and when he found it short on glory and long on hardship, he high-tailed it out by taking French Leave. For the literary world, that was a blessing.

ninenot
November 22, 2003, 09:00 PM
Hot damn, Betty---Mark Twain is funny.

Did you ever see his speech to the girls' school? Equially a stitch.

"Don't DRINK!" .........."that is, to excess..."

joe4702
November 22, 2003, 09:17 PM
Wanna bet these folks file a fat lawsuit against Marlin and the gun store?
In the end, this is the kids fault for pointing the gun at his father and pulling the trigger. How it got loaded is another issue. Story didn't say if they bought a box of ammo to go along with the new gun. Maybe junior decided to chamber a round in his new toy to check the action.

Bill Hook
November 22, 2003, 09:26 PM
These folks were very stupid, if nothing else. Why do you need to handle the gun before getting home? :rolleyes:

Jeff White
November 22, 2003, 09:28 PM
I am sorry, there is only one person to blame. 17 year old Austin Woosley broke all of the four rules. If everyone followed the four rules they could ship mew firearms in condition one. It's not the factory's fault, it's not the FFL dealer's fault. It's not the fault of whoever put the round in the chamber. Austin Woosley should stand up and take all responsibility.

He shows some promise with this: "That's what really is on my mind. What if it hit him in the head? What if it had hit Mycah?" Austin asks, referring to his 5-year-old sister, who had begged to go along that day.

I'd feel better if he'd replace the word it with I....then I'd know he's figured it out.

Jeff

mete
November 22, 2003, 09:33 PM
It has happened before that a gun was left loaded from test firing at the factory. However that is no excuse for unsafe gun handling .Never assume that a gun is unloaded and never point it at something you don't want to shoot.

Lone_Gunman
November 22, 2003, 09:34 PM
I think it is very likely the father and son are lying here. Neither sounds like they knew what they were doing. I bet junior loaded the gun in the car, and accidentally shot daddy.

rayra
November 22, 2003, 09:36 PM
SEVERAL someones.
No check of firearm in store.
No inspection of firearm in store by purchaser.
No clearing of action in store by seller.
No clearing of action in store by purchaser.
Handling of weapon in a moving vehicle.
Handling of weapon by a novice minor, while supervisory adult is busy operating that vehicle.
Failure of supervisory adult to burn in the Rules of Firearm Safety upon his minor charge.
Failure of minor to keep weapon pointed in a safe direction at all times.
Failure of minor to check to ensure unloaded.
Failure of minor to keep booger-picker OFF THE TRIGGER until on the firing line.

Idiots. Thanks for GIVING the next bulletin to Brady / VPC / Feinstein.

Edited for profanity by Jeff White....

ceetee
November 22, 2003, 09:48 PM
Boone County Sheriff's Department Crime Bureau Commander Maj. Jack Banks said an unopened box of ammunition was found in the van.

I still find it difficult to believe, however, that no casing was found...

Does Marlin make an autoloader in .17HMR? If so, what are the odds that the empty would eject out a window?

El Tejon
November 22, 2003, 10:29 PM
Jeff, no, the father broke the rules. He is responsible for the boy's education and apparently he would rather sail through the wild blue yonder or sleep than teach his child.

His fault, his wound=Cosmic Justice rears her pretty face.:)

Somehow the rifle was loaded? Pardon me there, copper: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED. Time for the po-po to log onto THR.

Jeff White
November 22, 2003, 10:42 PM
El T,
Here in the Peoples Republic of Illinois you go to the big boy's jail at 17. You are right the father should have taught the boy, but by 17 if he was such avid shooter that he wanted a .17 caliber varmint rifle, he surely had to have been exposed to gun rags, shooting sites on the internet etc. He has to take some responsiibilty for himself.

Re-reading the article I see he's not going to be 17 till December. Even at 16 he should be more responsible then that. I'm just not ready to let the boy entirely off the hook. maybe if he was 8, not at 16 though....

Jeff

MeekandMild
November 22, 2003, 10:47 PM
As Junior Samples used to say, "I don't know nothing but I suspect a lot." To start with, what sort of a guy names his daughter Mycah? We haven't even gotten to the concept of checking the chamber yet.

Stevie-Ray
November 22, 2003, 11:00 PM
So somebody pulled a big boner on Big Bone, eh?

El Tejon
November 22, 2003, 11:10 PM
Jeff, objection, assuming facts not in evidence, your honor.:D (Aren't we all).

You presuppose the alleged 17 year old was instructed properly. At any age the boy is a monkey until educated. What did Sun Zi say?;)

Baba Louie
November 22, 2003, 11:17 PM
Mike Woosley said no one opened the box to check the serial number on the gun before the purchase was completed and the clerk walked the boxed gun out the business' door, as required. Representatives of Dick's Sporting Goods did not return calls to answer questions about the incident -- whether the gun had been a returned item or whether employees are required to check serial numbers on the gun itself, rather than merely the gun box.
Dicks Sporting Goods is Busted on that one... I have NEVER purchased a firearm where the dealer did not check the actual number on arm...
If they can prove that no one actually did that... lawyers hay-day...

Boone County Sheriff's Department Crime Bureau Commander Maj. Jack Banks said an unopened box of ammunition was found in the van. Investigators say there were no rounds in the rifle and no casings were found.
Not buying that one at all... sounds like maybe young Austin picked up a round from somewhere (maybe when they brought the Savage home?)... did something REAL STUPID and Dad's covering for him... Austin fiddles with arm while Dad's driving, "he put his hand in there", gun goes BANG, Dad gets shot, car goes into pond, no empty BRASS found??? (I'd probably get rid of it too)
If Dicks Sporting Goods Insurance Carrier can prove that... lawyers hay-day...

But I'm just the suspiscious type...

Adios

Jeff White
November 22, 2003, 11:22 PM
El Tejon,
You're right, I have no proof he ever thought anything more about firearms then he woke up one morning and decided he had to have a .17 caliber varmint rifle.

Of course at some age we have to assume that a reasonable man would know that he didn't leave the womb ready to teach weapons handling to Pat Rogers.....Well thinking about it, we are talking about an American male.....You're right there are too many who don't know any better at 50. This is a good argument for mandatory firearms safety to be taught in the public schools.

Jeff

HABU
November 22, 2003, 11:26 PM
somebody pulled a big boner on Big Bone, eh? Touche!:D

Time for the po-po to log onto THR. Indeed. Unfortunately, the po-po are too busy "solving crimes".

Samuel Clemens high-tailed it out by taking French Leave MT was a deserter?:what:

Jr. gets no slack on THR, and rightfully so.

TheOtherOne
November 22, 2003, 11:45 PM
Dicks Sporting Goods is Busted on that one... I have NEVER purchased a firearm where the dealer did not check the actual number on arm...
If they can prove that no one actually did that... lawyers hay-day...I have. He just copied the number onto the yellow form from the sticker on the box. He at least opened it to make sure the gun was in there, but didn't check the number on it. I checked it with the number on the box once I got home, hoping I had struck paydirt and got me an unregistered firearm... but no luck, it matched.

larry_minn
November 22, 2003, 11:57 PM
Kid prob was never educated. Out here Firearms safety instruction comes before you reach 14. I kinda doubt the story.
That said there are lots of ways the gun could have been loaded. I have been to gun shows and dealer talks about a UNLOADED gun that they checked in Morning when they set up table being found loaded at noon.
I actually had a unregistered gun for a while. Seems the sales person forgot to write down serial number when he exchanged it for one that had pre ban parts with it. (AR that I bought as parts gun) He traded me for one put together for my trouble.

spacemanspiff
November 23, 2003, 04:54 AM
bad rifle!!!! was probably upset that he wasnt the first choice. the rivalry between Marlin and Savage rages on.....

:rolleyes:

Majic
November 23, 2003, 05:13 AM
Unless Marlin has just came out with a new model, their .17 caliber rifles are bolt actions. So just what happened to the spent casing?
Glad they landed in the pond cause this story sure smells fishy. :scrutiny:

son of a gun
November 23, 2003, 05:26 AM
Imagine if some anti gunners went to the guns and tried to sneak rounds in the chambers.:fire:

c_yeager
November 23, 2003, 06:37 AM
As Majic has pointed out the only way to explain the lack of an empty casing is if someone worked the bolt on the rifle and tossed the casing. If you beleive the story as told junior would have had to perfom this operation as the vehicle was carreening into a lake. And then he would have to have decided to dispose of the casing for some reason. Im finding this very difficult to believe. And i have always mantained that when there is ONE obvious lie in a story there are plenty of other not-so obvious lies keeping it company. I dont know what happened here but, i bet it has very little to do with the account as it appears.

dinosaur
November 23, 2003, 08:22 AM
My B.S. detector is going off big time. Now a ND is an ND but we will probably be seeing the ambulance chasers getting involved. No drool smiley? :rolleyes:

Jimmy E.
November 23, 2003, 09:25 AM
Would someone correct me please... don't NIB bolt actions come with the bolt removed from the rifle? I mean, that's the only way I've seen them. But then, I'd rather shoot handguns and they come fully assembled.

greyhound
November 23, 2003, 10:52 AM
Anyone else get a laugh out of how "he put his hand in there" and the rifle went off?

I've never heard pulling the trigger described as "he put his hand in there"!

BluesBear
November 23, 2003, 11:36 AM
I too wonder where the cartridge case went.
Why would anyone purchase a rifle they hadn't seen.

In 1966 when I was 11 years old (and still had hair), my favorite barber at my local barber shop went to Woolco Department Store to buy a brand new .22 rifle,

Before the salesman handed him the rifle, he pointed out the the tubular magazine was located in the stock and proceeded to shoot my barber in the thigh, hitting the artery.

My favorite barber got enough money from the settlement to retire at 25.
He had a nasty limp for about a year though.

I think of that every time a salesman hands me a gun.

Hypnogator
November 23, 2003, 12:00 PM
If I were the investigating LE Agency, I'd demand to see the box(es) of ammo purchased with the rifle. One missing? There's your answer.:uhoh:

Another possibility that perhaps should be pointed out -- could an anti have been "looking at" guns in the gun shop and slipped a round into one or more? Such things have been suspected at gun shows.:scrutiny:

None of this eliminates the need for basic firearms safety. All previous comments to that effect are right on target. ;)

Ryder
January 22, 2005, 03:12 AM
According to a link on KABA these two are now facing charges for staging this shooting in an attempt to sue for $$$$$$$$.

BluesBear
January 22, 2005, 03:25 AM
Why does this not surprise me? :scrutiny:

Andrew Rothman
January 22, 2005, 04:01 AM
Here's the link:

http://www.keepandbeararms.com/news/nl/disp.asp?d=1/22/2005#newsanchor_51920
and
http://www.wcpo.com/news/2005/local/01/21/fatherson.html

c_yeager
January 22, 2005, 04:18 AM
A father uses his 17 year old son in part of a scam that involves shooting dad in the leg?!

That kid is gonna go far.

mnrivrat
January 22, 2005, 05:52 AM
Yep , I kept reading down the line on this post and everything pointed to a lie in the story . (the missing case told a lot) Then I reached the post that indicated just that .

Hope the guy gets both a limp and a jail sentance !

Luckyorwhat
January 22, 2005, 09:10 AM

I wondered about this. So because the bullet fragmented it is unidentifiable?

P.S., I heard a rumour that firing a weapon in an air-tight vehicle would burst the windows, (maybe youre ears) - is this true?

ruger270man
January 22, 2005, 09:39 AM
its obvious what happened.. both the kid and the dad are stupid, k.. the dad gives the kid ammo, he says "hey put the ammo in it, so its all ready for when we get home", and the kid pulls the frickin trigger, and the dads thinking "oh ???? were both gonna get in trouble" so he just tells his son to tell everyone it went off by itself..

guns dont shoot themselves, only exception is a round cooking off in a very hot chamber.

Fred Fuller
January 22, 2005, 09:40 AM
So, Junior was getting trained after all.

In cheating, lying and scamming, not gun safety.

lpl/nc

ID_shooting
January 22, 2005, 09:43 AM
"P.S., I heard a rumour that firing a weapon in an air-tight vehicle would burst the windows, (maybe youre ears) - is this true?"

No, had a friend hit the decocker on a HK before they had the safety recall, boom new hole in floor of Toyota. Brother let a 30-30 rip through the cieling of dad's old wood truck when we were kids, other than a new round sun roof, a real sore butt and a bit of hearing loss in his left ear, nothing.

Not real recomended, but wont blow out the windows.

enfield
January 22, 2005, 11:15 AM
how Austin Woosley's prized 17th birthday gift -- a newly purchased and presumably unloaded rifle -- fired

Because Bucky pulled the :cuss: trigger, that's how! :banghead:

Atticus
January 22, 2005, 12:02 PM
What a cluster. I wonder if the store was a Galyans in the process of converting to Dick's. The Galyans stores in Columbus were nearly frantic to liquidate all merchandise not on Dick's marketing scheme/planogram by Dec. 31st. I saw a fair amount of returned (opened) merchandise that had been repackaged and put in the clearance bins. I'll bet this rifle had been returned once. Regardless....lot's of blame to go around on this one. I wonder what momma thinks about the kid having a gun now....ouch!

El Deguello
January 22, 2005, 12:27 PM
Somehow, I really doubt that the rifle was loaded when it came from the factory. :what:

possenti
January 22, 2005, 12:43 PM
Hey guys (and gals),

Read Matt Payne's update post -number 44. This story happened a year and 2 months ago. It's been determined that the father and son staged the whole thing to sue the store and gun maker for this.

I hope they nail the scumbags' butts to the wall over this.

I live in the area where this happened, and I heard about it "through the grapevine" as well as local news. I'll keep my ears open for more details...

yesterdaysyouth
January 22, 2005, 01:03 PM
daryl, i'm thinking we're surrounded by idiots, but then i already knew that... :what:

(BTW - stop snickering about the name of the road mentioned above - It's not what you think.)

while we're at it let's not forget old beaver road.... :o

Greg L
January 22, 2005, 01:19 PM
Yep, lots of fun roads around here :evil: .

"P.S., I heard a rumour that firing a weapon in an air-tight vehicle would burst the windows, (maybe youre ears) - is this true?"

No, had a friend hit the decocker on a HK before they had the safety recall, boom new hole in floor of Toyota. Brother let a 30-30 rip through the cieling of dad's old wood truck when we were kids, other than a new round sun roof, a real sore butt and a bit of hearing loss in his left ear, nothing.

Not real recomended, but wont blow out the windows.

Aw, why did you have to spoil it ID? I was hoping for a new segment on Mythbusters :D .

Cyanide_357
January 22, 2005, 01:31 PM
The news said the two planned this, (gun didn't come loaded), to sue the store and get money.

Cyanide

LiquidTension
January 22, 2005, 01:36 PM
While the possibility of fraud had not occurred to me, it was evident that there were some very sketchy things involved. IF they had been telling the truth, which they weren't, several odd things would had to have happened:

1- The gun had to be loaded either at the factory, by a Dick's employee, or by a previous customer.
2- The bolt would have to have been installed in the rifle before purchase, which is very odd (I used to work in the hunting dept. at Dick's...they all come unassembled).
3- The gun would have to have left the store unseen by an employee, who is supposed to check the serial number on the gun, and by the purchaser, who should look at it if for no other reason than to make sure it's even the right gun.
4- All safeties would have to have failed, releasing the hammer, striking the firing pin, and setting off the cartridge...all without touching the trigger.
5- During the swerving and lake jumping, the rifle would have to have been rattled enough to somehow work the bolt and eject the spent case out the window.

Now, I like a good conspiracy theory as much as the next guy, and some truly odd coincidences do happen in life, but the chances of things happening the way these turds describe them are about as likely as all of the electrons in all of the atoms in my monitor spontaneously jumping levels and turning it into a Bacon Cheddar Ranch burger. These guys should have learned a little more about firearms before trying this scam. They also should have learned more about biology...I'm sure they thought that being shot in the leg wasn't that big of a deal :rolleyes: What? There's a major artery in there? Oops :rolleyes:

Hopefully they get put away for a long time. Hopefully that guy limps forever. (Stupid + ignorant) x criminal = deserves LONG sentence.

MarkDido
January 22, 2005, 01:38 PM
My bet is that it was loaded at the factory for the sake of ballistic fingerprinting, never got fired, and got shipped that way.

So can the family sue the PRK for assault with a deady weapon? :D

AF_INT1N0
January 22, 2005, 02:09 PM
Imagine if some anti gunners went to the guns and tried to sneak rounds in the chambers.

Actually had something similar happen in CO, in the mid Nineties, of course I was still 12 or 13 but there were stories on the news about the Brady types placing rounds in chambers, at gun shows. Think they even caught someone. but I'm not sure :uhoh:

SlowStar
January 22, 2005, 03:05 PM
My first thoughts are that both are lying in their teeth. Bet they already had a lawyer on call. :rolleyes:
SlowStar

Gabby Hayes
January 22, 2005, 07:26 PM
Self deleted. Old news. :rolleyes:

Sisco
January 22, 2005, 07:48 PM
Somehow, I really doubt that the rifle was loaded when it came from the factory.
Sometime back my favorite dealer showed me a letter, can't remember now if it came from a distributor or the BATF, anyway it warned that all new weapons should be inspected as there had been incidents reported where a new gun arrived at the dealer with a round in the chamber or in the magazine.
Most all guns are test fired at the factory, possibility for human error exists!

Waitone
January 22, 2005, 08:37 PM
Whole story smells.

How long before a suit is filed? 30 days IMNSHO.

RooK
January 22, 2005, 09:28 PM
You guys are missing something else...

Now that it has been ruled as the staged event: Remember them saying the van was a loss? Did they collect on insurance? Perhaps insurance fraud charges are forth coming as well.

GaryP
January 22, 2005, 11:45 PM
This is the kind of "stuff" the Fuzzy thinking LIBS feed on. Most who hear this story will not hear Page 2! :banghead:

:evil:

BluesBear
January 23, 2005, 02:17 AM
That's true GaryP but it's much easier to discredit someone who's forte is spouting half-truths.

If you enjoyed reading about "This is wierd - NIB rifle was loaded, fires..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!