Summer Center Fire Match?

PDA

52grain
March 20, 2010, 02:29 PM
I was wondering if anyone would have an interest in a centerfire match to complement Maverick223's rimfire matches during the summer months.

Does someone else already organize these?

If you enjoyed reading about "Summer Center Fire Match?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Maverick223
March 20, 2010, 02:34 PM
Does someone else already organize these?Not regularly...but you just volunteered. :evil: Krochus runs one with various themes from time to time.

Start one and we will come...or at least I will. Feel free to rob parts from my rules if you like (or not), I did the same thing to start with.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/images/graemlins/smilies/general/xyxthumbs.gif

52grain
March 20, 2010, 04:40 PM
I was thinking that we could have two competitions one for May and June, the other for June and July. I was thinking three categories: Service Rifle (any rifle issued as a standard service rifle at some point), Sporter (hunting rifles), and Target. Service rifle would be non-magnified (1x scopes OK), Sporter (two classes one up to 10x, the other open sights only), Target up to 25x.

I would like some help writing rules for the Target class. My intention would be that this class would include rifles like the Savage 10FP, Remington 700P, AI, etc, but not benchrest rail guns.

I am currently thinking 100 yards for all three classes as it appears that most members have access to ranges of this distance. The service rifle target would be one of the standard NRA targets. I am currently leaning towards the small bore as it is (in my area anyway) the most widely available, but will take suggestions. I might go with some form of silhouette target for the sporter categories. Target would be judged by group size with the ties broken by distance to the bull.

I'll take suggestions on rules, targets, classes, and ranges. I guess we have about 4-6 weeks before the competition would start. I'll defer to Krochus if he wants to set something up. I don't want to step on his toes.

R.W.Dale
March 20, 2010, 05:04 PM
This one is all yours. I've got no problem with what you propose. If you need any help with setting things up just drop me a PM.

Might I suggest letting folks use a target that can be downloaded and printed from home

Maverick223
March 20, 2010, 05:41 PM
Sounds like fun. If time and weather permits, I think I will enter all of the proposed categories (including both sporting classes).

As far as the target class goes, I agree with your decision to exclude benchrest rifles but allow LRPRs; however I am biased as I do not own a benchrest rifle. Whatever you decide, just make sure and have a trusty mod. (Art can help you out) sticky the match. If you need any assitance feel free to drop me a PM, but in the words of a cranky old man, "this one is all your's". :D

Caliper_RWVA
March 21, 2010, 10:33 AM
Service Rifle (any rifle issued as a standard service rifle at some point)

Might want some clear rules here on sighting devices - iron/glass, or break it up into service rifle magnified and non-magnified.

R.W.Dale
March 21, 2010, 12:39 PM
As far as the target class goes, I agree with your decision to exclude benchrest rifles but allow LRPRs;

In my matches I found the easiest most concise way to do this was to limit scope magnification to 12x or so. You won't see many benchrest rigs with a scope much under 20x

You'll need to make the rules as simple and cut and dried as possible, otherwise you'll be making clarifications and answering questions 20 PM's at a time

52grain
March 21, 2010, 01:05 PM
Service rifle would be non-magnified (1x scopes OK)

We can create a second service rifle class allowing magnification if there is enough interest.:)

any rifle issued as a standard service rifle at some point

Is this description good enough or do we need to get more specific? This would include anything from a 1903 Springfield to Swedish Mausers, Mossins, Swiss K31s, Garands. My intention is to allow civilian equivalents (M1A/M14 and AR15s) as well.

Maverick223
March 21, 2010, 01:50 PM
This would include anything from a 1903 Springfield to Swedish Mausers, Mossins, Swiss K31s, Garands. My intention is to allow civilian equivalents (M1A/M14 and AR15s) as well.I would make it two categories, one with actual combat rifles (as issued), and a second allowing civilian copies of military pattern rifles, otherwise AR-15s will dominate and dust off the real combat rifles (Mosin, Military Mauser, 1903, Garand, M1 Carbine, et al). IMO the AR-15 is no more a military rifle than a Remington 700 (M-24 and M-40), but to each their own.

:)

R.W.Dale
March 21, 2010, 02:33 PM
I would make it two categories, one with actual combat rifles (as issued), and a second allowing civilian copies of military pattern rifles, otherwise AR-15s will dominate and dust off the real combat rifles

And I'll still dust on the competition with my USGI surplus uppered A1. My rifle is no less an actual combat rifle than a M44 mosin that's sat in a warehouse for the past 60yrs since new. The only thing on my rifle that isn't as issued is the deleted happy parts in the civilian lower.

If you want to keep this from happening you split things up by caliber or age

Confused yet klineia? Here's my advice make the match YOU want and pay no heed to the grumblings of folks who want the match to be what THEY want.

If you enjoyed reading about "Summer Center Fire Match?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!