How many of you have ACDs, on your rifles?

PDA

JDGray
March 20, 2010, 03:16 PM
Shooting on unlevel ground, shooting at longer distances, poses unwanted variables into your groups, because of cant. How many of you have a level mounted to your rifle? I'm thinking of getting some for my long range target shooters, and wondered what you guys/gals, prefer? I like the rail mounted U.S. Optics unit the best, since you can see it while looking through the scope. What are your thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "How many of you have ACDs, on your rifles?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dubbleA
March 21, 2010, 09:53 AM
Yes, I use both the fixed and swivel rail mount USO levels. They do help keeping your rifle in the same position as far as level wise, something that will improve LR shots.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f268/dubbleA/Light%20Box%20Photography/USOSwivelLevel.jpg

Zak Smith
March 23, 2010, 12:51 AM
I had one, but I got rid of it. I couldn't determine an actual benefit. I must be pretty good at leveling the rifle.

Murphys Law
March 23, 2010, 08:16 AM
I've never needed one. I think its more important to make sure the scopes reticle and the rifle are mated so that they are both level in relation to each other.

March 23, 2010, 08:37 PM
I've been using three US Optics ACDs for a couple of years. The fixed ones (dubbleA shows one above) work fine but stick out quite a bit from the Picatinny rail. The folding USO model I bought last year has a threaded section for cap storage and this broke on my second of third trip to the range. Most recently, I bought an ASLI™ (Angle Slope Level Indicator) from HORUS and this thing is by far my favorite with both cant and slope and it's CHEAP. As for whether or not they're required, as Zak said, probably not, but I would add one caveat ... the assumption that you can maintain a cant less than 5 or thereabouts. Once the cant approaches 10 you'll start to see problems with 1 MOA targets or smaller. At 10, cant errors will exceed 0.5 MOA.

http://128.171.62.162/hawthorn-engineering/thr/optics/horus/horus_asli.jpg

:)

LRS_Ranger
March 23, 2010, 08:41 PM
I've been looking at the Horus one. Glad you like it, I might get one one of these days.. Not really a priority right now because I never find myself shooting slopes..

March 23, 2010, 08:50 PM
The HORUS one is magnetically damped too. As for cant, I can honestly say that many, many shooters can't stay within +/- 5 cant without the aid of a properly adjusted bubble level. For me, the ASLI takes away the guess work and helps with consistency. Even if it's just a training tool to gain muscle memory then it's worth it.

:)

JDGray
March 23, 2010, 08:59 PM
Got one of these coming from Midway.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=689346

If you enjoyed reading about "How many of you have ACDs, on your rifles?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!