Lead Lapping the bore

PDA

Afy
March 21, 2010, 08:52 AM
I want to lead lap the bore of my 8mm Mauser. Pretty much smooth it out a little.
I have bought 50 165 grain lead, gas checked bullets. So what would be the best... shoot them as fast a velocity and speed (rate of fire) as possible? Or what would be the best way to achieve a nice lapped bore.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lead Lapping the bore" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Scrapperz
March 21, 2010, 10:10 AM
I found this PDF about Lapping Bores >>>>>http://www.twincityrodandgun.com/PDF%20files/Rifle%20Bore%20Lapping.pdf

Also may see >>>http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_8_47/ai_76558930/
Got a rifle that's giving you trouble? Before you spend money on gunsmithing, try this simple but effective accuracy-tuning procedure that's as easy as a trip to the range.
The idea of using an abrasive compound to polish the inside of a rifle barrel is hardly new. The practice of lead lapping certainly dates to the early days of centerfire cartridges and perhaps even further back into the days of muzzleloaders. The concept is actually pretty simple. A steel rod is inserted from the breech end of an unchambered barrel and stopped an inch or two from the muzzle. Then, molten lead is poured into the bore to form a lead slug.
Once the lead sets up, the rod is pushed out of the muzzle and the lead slug is coated with a mix of oil and lapping compound. The slug is then pulled and pushed back and forth through the barrel.
When you do this, even with a very well made barrel, you can actually feel differences in resistance as the lap goes through. Spots that are tight may get a little more attention. It is a job that requires a certain skill.

I have never had to lap a bore to get accuracy but I know the guns I have are already lapped and it must help accuracy to an extent. I also have seen Midway USA has lapping bullets in different calibers and grit.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=646612

Afy
March 21, 2010, 10:53 AM
Just realised I have asked this question before. :( And still havent ordered the lapping compoung from Midway. :(:(

Scrapperz
March 21, 2010, 11:42 AM
I'm sorry.....that's funny LOL. Good luck with it :)

Afy
March 21, 2010, 11:54 AM
Have just been too busy working. Will be shooting for the first time this year, coming Saturday. Just planning to go plinking with the Vz's (24 and 58)

Scrapperz
March 21, 2010, 11:59 AM
I know what ya mean I don't get out to shoot that often either, but someday that will change for the better.

MifflinKid
March 21, 2010, 01:03 PM
I've not fire lapped a rifle but I have done several handguns.

I STRONGLY suggest you buy one of the commercially available kits. You can get kits that have complete ammunition ready to fire. I use the one from NECO so that I can assemble lapping ammo for various calibers.

You want to use a light charge of fast powder. Just make sure the charge is going to get the bullets out of the barrel. Always shoot into paper so you can verify each bullet clears the barrel. Very important.

Also, you should use soft to medium cast bullets. That will keep the surface of the bullet, with the lapping compound, in full contact with the barrel. Hard cast bullets will squeeze down going through any tight spots and may not expand back to full diameter after going past the choked area. Plus, it is easier to embed the lapping compound into a softer bullet.

I'm not sure about using gas checks. I think the gas checks would not help in any way.

I've found fire lapping helped several of my big bore handguns by eliminating their frame chokes. Accuracy increased measurably and the barrels are much easier to clean.

Good luck.

Fatelvis
March 21, 2010, 01:42 PM
Try these, its almost foolproof if you follow the instructions!

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=273015

If you enjoyed reading about "Lead Lapping the bore" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!