Shopping .308's

PDA

TEC
March 21, 2010, 12:17 PM
Shopping for a .308 bolt action rifle, RH bolt, but with an ambi stock. I have an M1A and I am looking to stay .308 with better accuracy, but not necessarily match grade accuracy. I am a non-competitive recreational shooter and will likely be shooting only factory loads, primarily bulk ammo. I am right-handed but shoot lefty because my left eye is dominant. The rifle will be scoped. Most if not all of my shooting will be off a bench or at least seated off a bipod or tripod rest in a cozy stand, so I am not necessarily looking for something ultralight and weather proof to be carried around stalking game. My budget is somewhere between $500 - $1000.

Looked this weekend at the local gun store offerings and checked out a couple of the Rem 700 models and the Browning X-Bolt. Frankly, I can't seem to warm up to black plastic rifles.

The local shop did have a used laminate Browning Varmint II .308 w/ BOSS. It was priced $700 (consignment) and looked to be 85-90%. Interesting, but not sure it is exactly what I want either. There is a Browning A-Bolt Target model on gunbroker that looks interesting, but it is probably more rifle than I am willing to pay for.

Suggestions and comments about what models I should be shopping appreciated. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shopping .308's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Flatbush Harry
March 21, 2010, 01:17 PM
Since you said you didn't require match accuracy and seem to have a preference for wood, take a long look at a Ruger 77 Hawkeye LH model or a Savage LH.

FH

browningpotato
March 21, 2010, 01:31 PM
If you want wood or laminate stock, I would look at Savage. Otherwise I would def. go with a Remington 700p (26inch barrell), it is probably the best all around .308 for the price IMO.

dougw47
March 21, 2010, 01:36 PM
You can get it in wood or the hated black plastic from Wally world for under $550.

TEC
March 21, 2010, 03:10 PM
What about a used Browning A-Bolt Varmint II w/ laminate stock and BOSS for $650? Estimate 90% slight use wear visible on the bolt, couple of small safe dings on the stock.

I will see what's available at the local Wally World and Sportsman's Warehouse in Savage and Howa.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shopping .308's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!