Uberti Baby rolling block load questions

PDA

R.W.Dale
March 21, 2010, 02:45 PM
This is a bit handloading oriented but I think it may fit up here in rifle country a bit better since it's involving a specific platform.

I've recently acquired a super nifty Uberti "baby block" in .357 magnum. I no next to nothing about this platform and thus have a question about loads for such a rifle.

My brain tells me that being factory chambered for .357 any loads within SAAMI spec should be fine. But holding this svelte dainty firearm my gut tells me I should worry about my 158grn 16.5g of 296 load I shoot through my marlin.

What's the consensus on loading for such a rifle? Or please share any other rolling block specific tips I should know.

If you enjoyed reading about "Uberti Baby rolling block load questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
March 21, 2010, 05:56 PM
Italian guns are proof tested for use with standard SAAMI or CIP ammunition.
I don't know the pressure your load develops.
A rolling block is a strong action by black powder era standards but when one lets go, you don't want to be holding it.

Maverick223
March 21, 2010, 06:29 PM
296 is the same as H-110...right? If that is the case, and I believe it is, you should be fine. If you wanted to, I think you could work up to about 17.0gr (according to Lyman's 49th Ed.) and still be okay. Just make sure and work up to it first.

:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Uberti Baby rolling block load questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!