Accidently frightned a sheeple

PDA

Sisco
January 21, 2003, 12:43 PM
Went to the grocery store this morning to pick up a few items and accidentally frightened a sheeple.
I had been at the range yesterday and found a few pieces of my brass after putting my range bag away so I dropped them in my jacket pocket.
At the checkout counter I pulled my car keys out of my jacket pocket and about ten pieces of 45acp & 357mag brass came out with them, landing on the floor.
As I stooped down to pick them up a child of 5 or 6 years old with his mom in line behind me started to help me find them. He picked up an empty 45 casing and you would have thought mom was going to have a stroke!
She yelled "Put that down! It's dangerous!!" kid started to cry which didn't help matters much.
She started to chew my backside about bringing things like that into a public place and exposing her child to danger.
I tried to explain that what I had here were merely empty pieces of inert brass; posing no more danger than if I had dropped a pocket full of change. The only way her child could possibly be harmed by them was if he tried to swallow one and choked on it, same thing a penny could do.
She wasn't the type to listen to reason so I invoked my first rule of verbal confrontation:
"Never engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person."
As I was leaving one of the bag boys looked at me and quietly said "Wow, what a b-----".
Yep.

If you enjoyed reading about "Accidently frightned a sheeple" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
UnknownSailor
January 21, 2003, 12:50 PM
If there is one thing I don't respond well to, it's being lectured in public, especially by someone who has not an ounce of clue what they are talking about.

I'm afraid I wouldn't have been able to conceal my contempt for a person such as this. She would have gotten an earful from me, fer damn sure.

CZ-75
January 21, 2003, 12:51 PM
Lemme guess.

Overland Park? Leawood? Olathe?

Guessing JoCo by the idjit's rxn.

A Dennis Moore voter for sure.

2dogs
January 21, 2003, 12:53 PM
She yelled "Put that down! It's dangerous!!"

If anything is more annoying than a brain disfunctional sheep, it's one with spawn.:neener:

Sisco
January 21, 2003, 12:55 PM
CZ-75, too far East. Liberalism has even reared its ugly head in Western Ks.

Mauserlady
January 21, 2003, 01:04 PM
I probably would have started laughing and said "you're kidding right?"

Gary H
January 21, 2003, 01:15 PM
...as she buys her bacon, ice cream and cigarettes

Calamity Jane
January 21, 2003, 01:16 PM
OMG. The cheese done fell off that woman's cracker.

:rolleyes: :scrutiny: :scrutiny: :rolleyes:

My response would have been the same as what Mauserlady said.

4v50 Gary
January 21, 2003, 01:20 PM
Had the same thing happen to me in college. No one thought a thing. How times have changed.

Sisco
January 21, 2003, 01:22 PM
as she buys her bacon, ice cream and cigarettes
I remember thinking the if anyone was going to harm her child it was her with all that junk food in her cart!

spacemanspiff
January 21, 2003, 01:26 PM
oh come on sisco...."accidentally..."?
you know how fun it is to mind-fornicate the sheeple. :evil:

killjoy
January 21, 2003, 01:26 PM
I don't think I would have been able to shut my mouth before telling her in a tone as loud as her's "Don't lie to the kid":cuss:

CZ-75
January 21, 2003, 01:36 PM
I know Topeka is pretty liberal and I'd guess a college town like Manhattan would be too. Wichita prides itself on its gun legislation (said so in the phonebook "new residents and visitors" blurb.)

Just trying to get a feel for whether or not your situation fits my perceptions of the home range of the blissninny.;)

80fl
January 21, 2003, 01:37 PM
You've just given me an idea for a new hobby.:eek:

2nd Amendment
January 21, 2003, 01:42 PM
Laughter is the best cure. Had something similar happen and all I could do was laugh in her face. The counter-person and another customer also started to chuckle. The Sheep bleated a couple more times and toddled away red faced and humiliated, though not quite certain why, I'm sure.

Sisco
January 21, 2003, 02:02 PM
It was an accident, honest! I have a P38 C-rat can opener on my keychain, it snagged the pocket liner and turned it inside out.
I tried the humour thing at first but this woman just wasn't getting it - in more ways than one! I got the feeling everyone else who witnessed the incident was thinking the same thing I was about her attitude.

When my son goes to the range we make a point to check his pockets, I could see the same thing happening at school. We'd probably need a laywer before that was all over with.

Missouri Mule
January 21, 2003, 02:10 PM
I would have told the kid" I'm sorry your momma is an idiot".

It wouldn't be the first time Iv'e done something of that nature.
:fire: :cuss: :banghead:

M67
January 21, 2003, 02:25 PM
When my son goes to the range we make a point to check his pockets, I could see the same thing happening at school. A younger relative of mine forgot to clear his pockets after a day at the range a few years ago. He was in 8th or 9th grade, I think. A young temp teacher tried to explain Newton and "equal opposite reaction" by telling the class what happens when you fire a gun (!). That's when my relative pulls out a .30-06 and tosses it to the teacher - to use as a "visual aid". The teacher looks at the primer and says "oh, it's a live one?" Kid: "Yes". Teacher: "OK kids, this is what happens; first the firing pin hits the primer, here, and then..."

Of course, this didn't happen in them United States of yours... :D

Elmer Snerd
January 21, 2003, 03:04 PM
I have seen sheeple nearly panic at the mere *sight* of pocketknives. Not "brandishing", not "threatening", not "creating a hostile work environment", not "oppressing", and certainly not "attacking", merely seeing one in use triggers nigh unto a conditioned panic response.

My favorite personal anecdote: Once an overly sheltered young lady I used to work with spazzed("That's a dangerous weapon!") at the sight of my Leatherman Tool(insert a "my tool makes women panic" joke here). Please note that it was a PST(the "average sized" tool) and that I was tightening screws with it at the time(must...resist...more...Freudian...jokes).

If I recycle one of my own posts here, is that plagiarism? What if I forgot to ask myself permission first? Should I complain to a mod about this? ;)

jmbg29
January 21, 2003, 03:22 PM
If anything is more annoying than a brain disfunctional sheep, it's one with spawn. :neener: OMG. The cheese done fell off that woman's cracker.:rolleyes: :scrutiny: :scrutiny: :rolleyes:ROTFLMAO :D :D

gun-fucious
January 21, 2003, 03:27 PM
One of my County Coucilmen like to tell the story of how his little daughter touched a box of ammunition at Walmart

He makes it seem as if she was juggling nitro glycerin

:banghead:

Skunkabilly
January 21, 2003, 04:22 PM
Empty brass is dangerous, that's why you have to sweep it, cuz you could fall and seriously hurt yourself.

A kid that picks up brass? I'll adopt him!

And what's the singular of a sheeple, a sherson?

tetchaje1
January 21, 2003, 04:33 PM
Too bad.

Seems like he was a nice kid to take the time to bend down and help you pick up what fell out of your pocket.

Most kids would be so preoccupied with whining for the toy in the next aisle that they wouldn't have even noticed you.

:fire:

Hoploholic
January 21, 2003, 04:52 PM
Lets look at this with a little different light...

It is probably a pretty safe bet that the female cur was merely ignorant rather than stupid. This assumption would lead one to beleive that she had the faculties to learn given the proper opportunity and environment. This being the case, perhaps one could could have camly and rationally instructed her that the case was spent and of no undue danger to anyone. Also, you could have explained that a live cartridge was no more dangerous than the spent one provided that it was handled in a reasonable and safe manner. She may have listened and learned...then again, she may have been already been so thoroughly conditioned that she would have screamed rape to prevent you from enducing rational thought :D

I would have wanted to yell and call her all manner of unsavory names but I would hope that I would have the restraint to try to educate instead.

Amusing story to say the least!

COHIBA
January 21, 2003, 05:10 PM
my wife, two daughters and i were at the krispy kream a few weeks ago. one of my 4 year olds was having trouble w/ a too long straw in a too short milk cup when my wife whips out her protech auto runt w/ blue jazz handle. CLICK! she cuts the straw in half on the counter and returns it to the cup. you should have seen the faces.

Hoploholic
January 21, 2003, 05:24 PM
LOL...classic, truely classic :D

tommytrauma
January 21, 2003, 05:28 PM
I have seen sheeple nearly panic at the mere *sight* of pocketknives. Not "brandishing", not "threatening", not "creating a hostile work environment", not "oppressing", and certainly not "attacking", merely seeing one in use triggers nigh unto a conditioned panic response.
I've experienced worse. I work two jobs; I run as a paramedic, and I work in a cubicle environment. It's not uncommon for me to go straight to my office job in uniform after an overnight shift. When I'm working as a medic, I carry a pair of trauma shears in a little pouch sewn into the cargo pocket of my uniform pants. Most of you know what trauma shears are. We use them to cut pants legs and such. They're BLUNT TIPPED, and about as dangerous as the scissors they give preschoolers. I have been directed to lock them in my truck, and forbidden from bring them into my office. They could be used as a weapon after all!

ball3006
January 21, 2003, 05:45 PM
I was moving out of the apartment we lived in while buying a house. Most of the stuff had been moved but I was waiting until dark to move my firearms out. About 10pm I walked out the door with two Mauser rifles and two teenage girls picked that time to walk out of the apartment across from mine. One of them screems "a gun" and proceeds to breakdown into tears and collapses on the floor and has a fit. The other girl looks at me and says she will be ok, she does that over different things she doesn't like. Sound familiar?.....chris3

CZ-75
January 21, 2003, 05:46 PM
I have been directed to lock them in my truck, and forbidden from bring them into my office. They could be used as a weapon after all!

What about glue and construction paper?

Was it Mencken that said: "Never underestimate the power of human stupidity."?

If so, that quote is appropos for this directive.

Nanook
January 21, 2003, 06:36 PM
Madam, these brass cases are as empty as your head.

dinosaur
January 21, 2003, 06:45 PM
You know, when it`s cold like it`s been for the last two weeks, I feel I made a mistake moving here. Then I read posts like these and the sun is positively brilliant! :neener: :evil: :D

Bainx
January 21, 2003, 07:13 PM
Ball3006, I would pay good money to see even a reinactment of that on video!:D

CZ-75
January 21, 2003, 07:28 PM
One of them screems "a gun" and proceeds to breakdown into tears and collapses on the floor and has a fit. The other girl looks at me and says she will be ok, she does that over different things she doesn't like. Sound familiar?

Like flying on airlines other than Quantas or driving on the interstate?

I bet she's "really an excellent driver," too. :D

Desert Dog
January 21, 2003, 07:40 PM
I got a free box of .308 ammo this way... :rolleyes:

I went into K-Mart, and I normally don't shop for ammo at K-Mart, but they had .308 150 gr. for $10 a box, So, I had some extra money in my pocket (not much, but enough for some toys) and went back to sporting goods.

When I FINALLY got someone back there with the case key, they were looking really nervous when I told them what I wanted. I also had a tackle box I was buying (the greatest gun cleaning kit box ever devised) and so he checked me out. He was so shaken PICKING UP THE BOX OF AMMO that he forgot to ring it up... :D

Nothing better than free ammo...

YMMV,

CZ-75
January 21, 2003, 07:46 PM
You should've mentioned needing several boxes for your "assault rifle." You could've gotten all of it for free, then. ;)

Airwolf
January 21, 2003, 07:46 PM
Thread triggered a long ago memory. As a Network Admin many moons ago I was in a exec's office to fix a problem (I think I needed to fab a Cat3 cable). I pulled out my Gerber from the pouch on my belt and snapped out the pliers (one handed as usual) in order to open the knife.

The exec who was watching over my shoulder jumped about 2 feet up and 4 feet backwards. I turned back with a "what in the H*** is wrong with you" look on my face. He's pointing at my Gerber practically panting "My God! I thought you had a switchblade!".

Baaaaa... Baaaaa..... BAH!

NJ3
January 21, 2003, 07:57 PM
The exec who was watching over my shoulder jumped about 2 feet up and 4 feet backwards. I turned back with a "what in the H*** is wrong with you" look on my face. He's pointing at my Gerber practically panting "My God! I thought you had a switchblade!".

Baaaaa... Baaaaa..... BAH!

OMG, an auto (appearing at first glance) opening knife, that thing could go off and kill everyone in the room. :rolleyes:

Sheeple :banghead:

Sisco
January 21, 2003, 08:05 PM
have done the knife opening thing intentionally. Carry a Kershaw Blackout ("assisted" blade opening). There have been times when someone will ask if anyone has a knife. I say sure and pull it from my pocket and make it go 'snip' into the open position. Usually gets a reaction like "Is that legal?" :evil:

Airwolf
January 21, 2003, 08:19 PM
I'll open my Kershaw Scallion in my vest pocket before taking it out for the reason that I don't want to get into the "is that a switchblade" discussion with possible sheep. I keep in alone the outermost strong-side pocket for easy deployment in a defensive situation rather on the belt or pants pocket.

Autolite
January 21, 2003, 08:25 PM
I would have handled it the same way. The lady demonstrated by her remark that she is not capable of rational thought process. Engaging someone of that predisposition by presenting a logic based argument is futile. It's like trying to beat someone at a game of checkers when they're playing 'Dungeons and Dragons'. You will never win a dispute by plying reason against emotion. You've lost before you started, so suck it up and walk away ...

rick458
January 21, 2003, 08:30 PM
I brought a dummy round (No primer, empty case, seated bullet).
to work to show one of my buds what the finished rounds for my .458 win mag would look like, also some .45 230 gr Hydrashoks made for a key chain, and one of the other fellas there started talking about how I shouldn't have it here as it was "Dangerous " and could "Hurt People" I told him yes it could ,If I threw it really hard at someone.:banghead:

StuporDave
January 21, 2003, 08:35 PM
---She yelled "Put that down! It's dangerous!!"---

That empty brass IS dangerous! Ever stepped on a .45acp case, facing up, in bare feet? Needed a pair of pliers to pull it out of my heel. Hurt like hell, too!

;)

Dave

sctman800
January 21, 2003, 09:28 PM
Reminds me of something I read and always try to remember. "Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." Jim.

redneck
January 21, 2003, 10:28 PM
There'd been a coyote pup showin up around the farm during the day, looked sick. I saw it sittin out in the field across from my house, an loaded up the old 12 gauge (1897 winchester) and started that way. It just sat there an looked at me till I was just outside of the range of the old scattergun an then it up and ran under a big bush in the fence row at my neighbors. I just went ahead over thinkin it might be hidin there. It had kept right on movin an I couldn't find it, so I walked out to their pasture an told the neighbor what was going on since he was out running a bush hog, he thanked me an said he'd keep an eye out for it too. Walking back home, I stopped to check around the bush again (something had been rooting around underneath it) and looked up to see the neighbors daughter's boyfriend about to pull into the driveway. I'm standin there right in front of him, lookin right at him with a 12 gauge slung over my shoulder
His eyes went :what: , an the tires were squeelin as he jerked the wheel back from turnin towards the driveway an hauled *** down the road. :D Unfriendly sumbitch didn't even wave...
I laughed an walked home. Saw him coming back down the road about 10 minutes later talkin on a cell phone, and he pulled in at the neighbors.
Talked to the daughter an him later. She was mad at him for calling me "some guy with a gun" and not understanding why I would want to go over there and shoot a coyote. He was able to laugh about it afterwards too.

I always carry a pigsticker (knife to you city boys ;) ) so I've had all kinds of incidents with them. Actually carry a gerber multi tool and at least one knife all the time. I make knives so its always changing, but generally when I'm out working I'll carry the benchmade pinnacle my parents gave me (3.5" half serrated blade) you can really make people's eys pop if you flick it open. Actually has gotten more bad reactions than carrying a fixed blade on my belt.
The best was when I was helping some people move some bundles of scrap wood and stuff, and the woman said she was going to go get some wirecutters.
redneck: "I've got a pair"
woman:"you do?"
redneck: "yep...FLICK" (you can flick the gerber pliars open with your wrist, its great)
woman: AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH! MY GOD!
redneck: "what the hell is that all about?"
woman: Uh oh....um its pliars, thanks.

Skunkabilly
January 21, 2003, 10:34 PM
Interesting, the people I ran across who knew I had a gun weren't afraid..

A guy in the elevator who saw my BENELLI bag asked if I was on a team..

The Fedex girl said "I'm not afraid of guns..I have a Sig but I haven't shot it forever."

I ditched that Benelli bag (actually, gonna sell it) and throw it in my guitar gig bag.

Elmer Snerd
January 22, 2003, 01:44 AM
I had a close call with an airport security guy who thought that the Multi-Plier I carried at the time was some sort of butterfly knife. He was reassured when I told him how to extend the pliers. This was back in the good old days when you could walk someone to their departure gate, and you could carry legal sharp bits in an airport.

When a Leatherman Tool loosens up with age and use, the pliers can be unfolded with one hand in a sort of clumsy butterfly-knife-style flip. I felt that it was prudent to stop doing this after I got some strange looks, it would be my luck to start a panic and/or get shot by mistake. The fact that I suck at flipping open butterfly knives and dropped my Leatherman several times trying this had nothing to do with my decision, of course. :D

Zundfolge
January 22, 2003, 02:21 AM
Okay, I was born in Wichita Kansas on August 9th, 1969 and lived there until August 17th, 2002 so I can speak with some authority on this.

Kansans are by and large good people and somewhat conservative in their daily lives and views but politically the place is just screwy ... The Democrats are liberals, the Republicans are liberals the Libertarians are communists ... its all a giant mess.

Wichita's RINO Republican mayor (Bob Knight) is quite proud of his gun control bovine scat ... Kansas is not a conceal carry state, but open carry is legal, but thanks to ole Bob, not in Wichita :rolleyes:

However, to be honest I didn't assume Sisco was in Wichita because you're average liberal Wichitan is either too stupid to recognize spent brass or if they did they are such bliss-ninnies that they would have just fainted dead away instead of yelling at him.

For the record, I didn't leave the house unarmed but maybe a dozen times after the Carr brothers went on their hate crime homicide binge :fire:
(hell, carrying concealed is just a misdemeanor in Kansas anyway ;) )

Jeebus ... why did it take me 33 years to get the hell out of that place :banghead:

Sisco
January 22, 2003, 02:50 AM
I live in Western KS, Garden City. 200 miles West of Wichita.
Carr Brothers: My father-in-law suffered a stroke right after the killings, before the brothers were arrested. He was life watched to Wichita, we followed in the car. Not knowing where we would be staying and for how long we'd be staying there I brought my .45 along on the trip. Unpacking in the motel room that evening I put it in the drawer beside the bed and my wife about had a cow. After I reminded her that a mass murder had just taken place and the people who did it were still on the loose she calmed down. "Rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it".
For those not familiar with the Carr Bros. case, you can find out more here:
http://www.kccall.com/News/2002/1108/KCK_Community/073.html

Difranco
January 22, 2003, 02:50 AM
This Thread Amazes me!:eek: :what:

I carry my rifles, shooting bags out in broad daylight, anytime I go to the range and I live across the street from a elementary school. Not doing anything illegal, nothing nobody can do about it. It's good for people to see firearms handled by responsible citizens frequently, that way they will become more accustomed to them. Helps to de-mystify them.

Calamity Jane
January 22, 2003, 03:27 AM
When I'm working as a medic, I carry a pair of trauma shears in a little pouch sewn into the cargo pocket of my uniform pants. Most of you know what trauma shears are. We use them to cut pants legs and such. They're BLUNT TIPPED, and about as dangerous as the scissors they give preschoolers. I have been directed to lock them in my truck, and forbidden from bring them into my office. They could be used as a weapon after all!

*sob*

:banghead:

I must be truly terrifying, then. I'm a little pipsqueak gal, but I wear black combat boots most of the time (most comfy footwear I've ever had, and you'd be surprised how many sorts of slacks, outfits, and such they look nice with!) and I carry an Israeli paratrooper's bag as a purse (lots of room!).

I have an inert .223 round on my keychain, and in my purse, I have a Columbia River knife clipped in the side pocket, a butterfly knife in the big compartment, and a little Leatherman tool, also kept on my keychain, which I use frequently for life's little conundrums.

I'm a... I'm a... **gasp** ARMED, TOOL USING HUMAN!!!

:what:

And yes, one of my jackets frequently has brass jingling in its pockets.

I'm glad folks at work are used to me.

Zander
January 22, 2003, 03:45 AM
If I had dropped empty brass while standing in line at the local Wal-Mart, I'd most likely have had to fight the folks in line to retrieve it. LOL!

Darn reloaders are everywhere...thank God. :cool:

MacPelto
January 22, 2003, 10:19 AM
I carry my rifles, shooting bags out in broad daylight, anytime I go to the range and I live across the street from a elementary school. Not doing anything illegal, nothing nobody can do about it. It's good for people to see firearms handled by responsible citizens frequently, that way they will become more accustomed to them. Helps to de-mystify them.

Hear Hear! This is absolutely true. If more people were exposed to guns on a regular basis, they would become common knowledge again, and cease to frighten people by their mere presence. Firearm ownership/use shouldn't be treated like a dirty little secret. Guns should be shown off at every opportunity, because every little bit of familiarity helps us all.

I explain it to non-shooters like this...The Crocodile Hunter, the Australian guy on TV, notice how he's not afraid of any snake, no matter what kind? That's because he handles different ones all the time. If someone takes the time to learn the ins and outs of something... snakes, guns, whatever...then they know how they work, and don't have to be afraid of them any more.

I've gotten numerous non-shooters started this way. Anti's usually don't see it, but just about every single 'not-against, not-for, really-don't-know' type gets curious and comes shooting with me eventually, including a (now) good friend of mine with a PhD in Classics, who moved here from Kali, where she worked at the Getty Art Gallery. People really can learn better! :)

Tamara
January 22, 2003, 11:08 AM
Hmmm. I often meet lendringser for lunch at a local fern bar-esque joint called "Charlie Pepper's". Just yesterday he brought me a whole box of loaded .30-40 Krag rounds, and nobody flipped.

The waitress did get a little nervous when I gave him his Christmas present over lunch there about a month ago and he played with it a bit at the table. But, then, a TOPS Smoke Jumper is a big ol' scary-looking knife... :D

Betty
January 22, 2003, 11:37 AM
My co-workers have resigned themselves to the fact that I have my ammo delivered to work.

Just this morning my co-worker says nonchalantly, "Hey Betty, your ammunition came in." And he plops a small but extremely heavy box on the cheap faux woodgrain computer table, which looks like it's about to snap in half under the box's weight.

:D

vulcan
January 22, 2003, 12:43 PM
Runt,

You should see the look my UPS guy gives me when I get a case of 9mm with the scary "small arms ammunition" sticker on the side of it:D .

spacemanspiff
January 22, 2003, 01:45 PM
one day after a decent range session, i couldnt figure out for a couple of hours what that clinking noise was whenever i walked. i searched all my pockets, no change, no keys, nothing. still kept clinking away. took a while before i realized some .45 brass from the guy who is in the lane next to me found its way into the cuff of my pant legs.
since then i've learned to take the lane thats on the far left side. i hate getting pegged with .45 brass.

cslinger
January 22, 2003, 02:15 PM
Everybody I work with who knows both Dave and myself pretty much know we are into shooting.

Most find it either intriging or cool and as far as I am concerned if people are a little afraid, then so be it....a little healthy fear is good for people.

I do not however get ammo delivered at work, but somehow want to try now.

Dave, the guy I work with, and I frequently have shooting related computer backgrounds and we hold the largest library of computer, shooting, automotive.....ahem....literature in the building. People come from far and wide in our building just to borrow the fine "literature".

As a whole, though people joke about going on an office rampage or whatever but it is just friendly ribbing. I really haven't ever met anybody who went absolutely nuts at the fact that I had firearms and knives. I guess I am lucky.

I will not hide my perfectly legal hobby. I agree we need to let the neighbors see that you are a responsible gun owner etc.

Sisco
January 22, 2003, 05:03 PM
If my neighbors are at all observant they know I shoot. Two boys next door are my sons age and they go to the range with us now & then. Gun safes are in the same room they play computer games in.
When I pack up to go to the range I back the pickup out of the garage just to make loading up easier. Usually wearing the handgun I plan on shooting most holstered on my side.
Took my new Kimber to work last night to show it off. Have bought from and sold guns to coworkers; company VP of Human Resources offered to pick me up 500 rounds of lead bullets not available locally but he found them in a shop where he lives.

wingnutx
January 22, 2003, 05:46 PM
"My God! I thought you had a switchblade!".

I've had that happen at work with my Leatherman WAVE. Some people appear to have grown up in Mr Rogers' neighborhood.

Russ
January 22, 2003, 06:11 PM
She probably is the type to get your license number off your car and call the cops to tell them what a dangerous person you are.

illuminatus99
January 22, 2003, 06:39 PM
when I was a teenager I got a lot of strange looks at the movie theater I worked at because I carried a butterfly knife and used it to open boxes, the management watched me do it a few times and didn't asy anything, probably because I could take a pallet of stuff and have it inventoried and ready to go by myself in about half the time it took 4 or 5 of the younger kids to do it. the other kids, especially new ones would freak out at the sight of a butterfly knife and start asking questions, I just told them it was just a one-handed box opener and they never said anything about it after that. since then I've moved on to an italian auto, at the place I worked at most recently I got a few looks but it was mostly curiosity since most of the guys I worked with were geeks, they all thought it was pretty cool and wanted to know where to get one.

I freaked out my boss pretty good though, he decided to go through my laptop case to find a wireless LAN card, he found my browning and 3 spare mags. luckily the CEO of the company was cool with me carrying at work which was kinda odd for a new zealander.

UnknownSailor
January 22, 2003, 06:42 PM
My co-workers have resigned themselves to the fact that I have my ammo delivered to work.

Just this morning my co-worker says nonchalantly, "Hey Betty, your ammunition came in." And he plops a small but extremely heavy box on the cheap faux woodgrain computer table, which looks like it's about to snap in half under the box's weight. :D

I think I can top that. :D

I ordered 1200 rounds of .45 hardball from Proload (http://www.proload.com) in preperation of attending Defensive Handgun 1 at Thunder Ranch. I gave my "official" address as the ship to address. So, I come in to work about a week later, and my LPO takes me aside, and asks, "Did you order ammunition?".

My first thought was, "Huh?" Then I remembered the Proload order.

"Yea, that's mine. Personal stuff."

LPO: "Well, I put it behind my desk until you came in and explained it."

I still get ribbed about that 2 years later. :D

You would think that sailors have seen ammunition before, but I guess not. :D

Parke1
January 22, 2003, 06:56 PM
It's hard to even count the number of times I've scared the sheeple around my house. My parents use our garage, so every time I go shooting I have to lug all of my guns, ammo, and range gear out to my truck. I've been yelled at, nearly caused car wrecks on the nearby street, and have had children run screaming from me. The police station for our town is fairly close to my house, so the local LEO have stopped by a few times as they saw me carrying my guns out to my truck. They've always been very polite, luckily. I guess they just know me by now.

My favorite instance of scaring the sheeple has to be one time when I had stopped into the local Starbucks. Love the coffee, hate the atmosphere, so I never stay long. This starbucks is the busiest 'bucks in all of Ohio, PA, and NY, so it's always packed to the gills. I stepped up to the counter, placed my order, and while digging around in my jeans pocket for some change, I managed to work my Benchmade Strker up and out of said pocket.

Uh-oh.

I keep my BM well oiled, and I keep the tension screw fairly loose, so you can only imagine when the knife hit the floor on the hinge, bounced up, flipped open, and landed across the toe of my boot. Not cool... Some people screamed, others chuckled, but I thought the cashier was going to have a heart attack right where she stood. I casually kicked up the toe of my boot, caught the knife, flipped it shut and re-pocketed it. Picked up my coffee and skedaddled out of there.

Fairly funny, in retrospect. At least the Monadnock baton didn't fall out of my coat pocket... :D

-Parke1

TexasVet
January 23, 2003, 01:40 AM
I used to have one like that. Now the guy I have gives the the whiney sheepdog look until I open the box and show him my new gun!

If you enjoyed reading about "Accidently frightned a sheeple" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!