help me with value of a S&W model 1917

PDA

Ian's Dad
March 22, 2010, 09:07 AM
I have a US Army 1917 .45 acp revolver. it is actually a 1917 vintage gun..

has been reblued which i know has killed collectability.. in very good shape and shoots fine.. but i rarely use it..

can someone give me a wild estimate on value...

If you enjoyed reading about "help me with value of a S&W model 1917" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
woad_yurt
March 22, 2010, 09:21 AM
Maybe $450 if it looks perfect? Maybe? Other opinions?

Radagast
March 22, 2010, 09:28 AM
If there is a star stamped on the butt then it may be a factory reblue, which will help with the value. In 2006 the Standard Catalog of S&W gave a value of $475 in good condition, $700 in very good condition. I suggest you check out the results of completed auctions on the various auction sites such as auctionarms, armsbid, and gunsamerica for more up to date pricing.

Onmilo
March 22, 2010, 03:18 PM
This is my 1917
http://www.fototime.com/088D2F166DDD43E/standard.jpg

It was left in an attic for forty years and did not fare well, completely rust frozen when I received it.
All springs had to be replaced and the gun completely broken down after soaking in Kroil Oil.

The frame and cylinder assembly were black oxide finished and the barrel reblued, suprisingly the bore was and still is in very excellent condition because it had been filled with grease before being wrapped in
a rag and stuck in the attic.

I sold the original dished top grips from this revolver for $150 several years ago and would guess my revolver is worth between $300 and $400 as is at current retail and demand. HTH

If you enjoyed reading about "help me with value of a S&W model 1917" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!