Barrel Recommendation for 223 Rem

PDA

one-shot
March 22, 2010, 11:22 PM
I have a Remington Model 700 in 223 Rem and the barrel has a 1:12" twist. I have a Savage BTCSS with a 1:9" twist. I want to put a new barrel on my Model 700 and I'm wondering if a 1:7 or 1:8 would be best for 68gr and larger bullet weights. I'd like to start reloading and eventually use 80gr bullets. I purchased a box of Hornady 75gr BTHP with the hope that my 1:9" twist on my Savage will stabilize properly. I won't shoot this weekend to be sure. Also, what barrel length and contour would you recommend for Target/Prairie Dog shooting?

Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Barrel Recommendation for 223 Rem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
R.W.Dale
March 22, 2010, 11:29 PM
My 1-9 twist savages had no problem with the 75 grain a max

as to the remington barrel, if you THINK you'll want to shoot 80grn bullets particularly the low drag offerings you should go with the fast twist NOW vs regretting not doing so later

Txhillbilly
March 23, 2010, 12:06 AM
If you want to shoot 80 grainers,you better go with a 1-7 twist. I shoot 75gr AMax's out of my AR's all the time and they have 1-8 twist.
Never tried 80grs,they would be too long to fit in the magazines.

If you enjoyed reading about "Barrel Recommendation for 223 Rem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!