Russian Roulette With a Semiautomatic is a Bad Idea

PDA

steven58
March 22, 2010, 11:59 PM
Posted in the interest of firearms safety as an example of what can happen when you violate all 4 rules at the same time.

Apparently a guest at a Russian wedding attempted parlor trick that degenerated into a round of "Russian Roulette with a semi auto pistol:eek:

The results were predictably tragic.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1259841/Russian-roulette-shock-wedding-guest-shoots-party-trick-gone-wrong.html

If you enjoyed reading about "Russian Roulette With a Semiautomatic is a Bad Idea" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
paintballdude902
March 23, 2010, 12:47 AM
i enjoy that they named the make and model of the pistol.

hmmm sounds like darwin was right

owlhoot
March 23, 2010, 12:47 AM
The pistol in question wasn't a real gun. Rather it fired rubber bullets (Russia's answer to AirSoft). However, pressed against the temple, it generated enough force to do very serious damage. We've had a couple of Hollywood types killed by blanks doing the same kind of dumb sh*t.

steven58
March 23, 2010, 02:00 AM
My informal research on this reveals that there are 4 versions of this pistol that are virtually identical externally:

1. Tear-gas pistol Izh-79

2. Rubber bullet version , fires also tear gas ammo Izh-79-9

3. A version for security agencies, fires .380 ACP

4. Export-only Baikal-442 .380 ACP or 9 mm Makarov

As you can see from this unrelated thread http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1716241/posts the 4 version can be mixed up easily.

My understanding is that the most easily available versions (teargas) are bought in bulk in Russia, converted to .380 in Eastern Europe and sold to low level criminals in Western European countries.

rm23
March 23, 2010, 02:11 AM
Here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTxyS6SxxPw

Manco
March 23, 2010, 02:14 AM
Only in America, right? Dumb rednecks! Wait :scrutiny:, this was in Russia. Where's all the hating that usually goes on when something that stupid is done here? (crickets chirping)

The pistol in question wasn't a real gun. Rather it fired rubber bullets (Russia's answer to AirSoft).

Reminds me of a recent local story where a school employee (an instructional aide) was struck on the arm by an Airsoft pellet, which resulted in a fairly extensive police search of the area for the shooter, as well as news helicopters flying around overhead (probably more risky overall than a stray Airsoft pellet). Nobody and nothing was found, and when the police were questioned about their response they said that Airsoft or not, it's still a gun and that's how they treated the incident. :scrutiny: I don't know anything about the Russian gun in question, but Airsoft has pretty weak firepower. It could definitely do some damage to a person's unprotected face, like a low-powered BB gun, so I guess the response was appropriate, although it seemed rather dramatic at the time. In contrast, about 20 years ago my house at the time was struck by several 9mm bullets while I was home, and the police didn't seem to think much of it (granted, my house is not a school, but this wasn't Airsoft).

We've had a couple of Hollywood types killed by blanks doing the same kind of dumb sh*t.

Yeah, like that actor Jon-Erik Hexum who effectively used a piece of his own skull as an explosively-formed projectile that went into his brain, such as it was. That's what happens when you use your head as a barrel obstruction while shooting a "harmless" blank. :rolleyes:

C-grunt
March 23, 2010, 06:28 AM
Had a guy here not to long ago that killed himself in a fairly similar manner. Was drunk at a friends house when he pulled out a Beretta 92, dropped the mag and placed it to his temple for some photos. The friends were taking pictures of it when he pulled the trigger, firing the chambered 9mm through his head.

mcdonl
March 23, 2010, 07:13 AM
Some were suicidal, others – perhaps like the victim in this case – just wanted to prove their bravery.

Or maybe he was just a dumb ass.

Sam1911
March 23, 2010, 07:47 AM
Surprise, surprise, firing any weapon capable of ejecting a projectile against your temple will bring you to a dramatic conclusion.

This goes beyond the four rules into basic human stupidity. Not really any THR content in it.

Remember, our mandate here is to discuss and promote responsible gun ownership. "Darwin Awards" belong elsewhere.

If you enjoyed reading about "Russian Roulette With a Semiautomatic is a Bad Idea" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!