Safety Glasses Poll

PDA

wankerjake
March 25, 2010, 12:00 AM
Just curious as to how many THR shooters wear safety glasses and to what extent. The thought came about due to this thread: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=513620

I bet the absence of safety glasses is more common than the OP thinks. I voted sometimes, when the range requires me too. I generally don't when shooting out in the boonies.

If you enjoyed reading about "Safety Glasses Poll" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hatterasguy
March 25, 2010, 12:03 AM
I wear them everytime I shoot, partly because I need glasses to see the target!:D

But seriosly, I really like seeing, losing an eye or both would really suck for the rest of my life. I could live without a finger or two, or not hearing so well, but eye's are important!

lexjj
March 25, 2010, 12:07 AM
I would be equally interested in knowing what color glasses people use.

I almost always use the yellow colored ones, but I went to a different range (with different lighting) last week and found that clear glasses were working better for me.

mljdeckard
March 25, 2010, 12:08 AM
I not only wear them, pretty much all of the time I'm out and about I wear my Wiley-x sunglass/goggles. It's not a bad idea to always have your eyes protected to some degree.

leadcounsel
March 25, 2010, 12:10 AM
A fool and his eyesight are soon parted... Sorry but you're just waiting for a Darwinism award for failing to wear eyeprotection when using machinery/guns/powertools/saws, etc.

mljdeckard
March 25, 2010, 12:10 AM
I special order the darkest lenses possible, gray-3. Really dark glasses aren't as popular as they used to be, but that's how I like them.

Miked7762
March 25, 2010, 12:16 AM
How would you consider prescription safety glasses in this case? I wear mine pretty much 100% of the time when I'm awake, but rarely have the side shields installed. Would that be considered wearing eye protection? (OSHA says no for the most part.)

wrs840
March 25, 2010, 12:16 AM
I wear glasses anyway, so they're on when I shoot, and they're "impact resistant"... I put on big safety over-glasses when I'm shooting something unfamiliar to me. Always clear lenses. Always ear protection too, usually just foam plugs.

Les

wankerjake
March 25, 2010, 12:23 AM
A fool and his eyesight are soon parted... Sorry but you're just waiting for a Darwinism award for failing to wear eyeprotection when using machinery/guns/powertools/saws, etc.
I take it he voted always...

Good for you bro, no need to be condescending.

Oyeboten
March 25, 2010, 12:58 AM
I dunno...

I never wore them, and, unless an indoor Range requires it, it would simply never occur to me to do.

Left to my own devices, I do not wear them for anything other than Sand Blasting.

R.W.Dale
March 25, 2010, 01:02 AM
I wear PPE's (safety glasses) 10hrs a day, so it's natural for me to wear em at the range too

Wingnut13
March 25, 2010, 01:02 AM
No question when shooting, they are always there. I just use Home Depot $6 Z87+ rated glasses. I use them for everything.

denfoote
March 25, 2010, 01:11 AM
My prescription lenses are shatter resistant plastic and I have removable side shields.

N003k
March 25, 2010, 01:21 AM
Whenever I shoot, I wear them. The only possible downside is if they don't fit well, the upside is potentially saving my eyes... I really can't think of any good reason not to wear them given how easy it is to get them and what the benefit might end up being.

Dookie
March 25, 2010, 01:29 AM
When testing a new gun I do. But my old bolts I don't. Besides, I primarily shoot rimfire.
Hearing protection, always.

Gryffydd
March 25, 2010, 01:40 AM
I'm not sure how to vote on this one. I don't wear "Safety Glasses" per se, but I do always wear my prescription glasses which have Phoenix lenses which are pretty tough. They don't have giant lenses, but they cover my eyeballs pretty well.

Boba Fett
March 25, 2010, 01:57 AM
I always wear them. But mine are pretty much like wearing a pair of sunglasses. The reason I always wear them is because eyes aren't easily replaceable and high velocity objects have strange abilities (like coming back to the shooter or sending pieces of whatever it hit back at the shooter).

I have the ESS ICE:
http://images1.opticsplanet.com/750-500-ffffff/opplanet-ess-ice-sunglasses.jpg

Which can supposedly take a shotgun blast. Not that I want to field test that claim.
http://images1.opticsplanet.com/750-500-ffffff/opplanet-ess-ice-sunglasses-3.jpg

springfield30-06
March 25, 2010, 02:57 AM
I wear them most of the time. I do not wear them when hunting but I do wear them about 95% of the time when target shooting. The last time I went shooting though I forgot to put them on and didn't even realize it until I was all done and noticed that they were still in my range bag.

Deus Machina
March 25, 2010, 04:50 AM
See WRS840 above.

Acrylic glasses always on, big safety glasses over if I don't know and trust a gun. Foam earplugs every time--ear muffs mash my ears on the arms of my glasses uncomfortably.

Calibre44
March 25, 2010, 04:51 AM
I wear glasses anyway but use safety glasses when shooting Black Powder Pistols - saw a spent cap fly off a gun once and imbed itself into a guys cheek ... could have been his eye.

j-easy
March 25, 2010, 05:10 AM
I always have something covering my eyes, usually sunglasses (wiley x) or prescription eyeglasses but occasionally I put on regular clear safety glasses.

nicholst55
March 25, 2010, 06:46 AM
Always when shooting; also whenever I'm working with anything more dangerous than a piece of paper. I mean, soldiers wear them in combat now. Granted, they have many other things to worry about than their rifle or ammo causing eye injuries, but I think you get my point.

devildog4329
March 25, 2010, 08:23 AM
I have a set of Oakley M frames that i wear all day everyday. I have had them for 4 years. They were issued to my unit before we deployed and i have not taken them off since.

hammerklavier
March 25, 2010, 09:53 AM
I wear glasses so I don't wear safety glasses as much. Right now, I'm having trouble finding a new pair that will fit over glasses. Anyone have any suggestions?

RugerBob
March 25, 2010, 09:55 AM
If I didn't wear script glasses since the sixth grade, I would probly never wear them. But the ones I wear are impact resistant as can be as per $. Need my glasses for distance.

hso
March 25, 2010, 09:57 AM
Every time and everyone that shoots with me does because I have spares with me.

DeepSouth
I hardly ever wear them.

Tim the student
I always wear them unless I'm shooting a .22.

hso
March 25, 2010, 10:03 AM
For folks looking for over the glasses safety glasses, UVEX makes a couple of different types that are easy to fit. An alternative is getting an inexpensive pair of safety glasses with the simple "cheater" lenses (http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/bf42.html).

Boba Fett
March 25, 2010, 10:57 AM
Every time and everyone that shoots with me does because I have spares with me.

Same here. I always have extra pairs of all safety equipment (glasses, muffs, plugs) when I'm going shooing with friends. If for some reason I don't have enough for the number of people going, I swing by the local Wal-Mart or sports store and pick up what we need.

bwsmith2850
March 25, 2010, 11:03 AM
I ordered Rx safety glasses when I had flex spending money left near the end of the year. I had only worn my regular glasses prior to that while shooting. Mine are clear but I put on grey clip on lenses on when shooting outside.

Scrapperz
March 25, 2010, 11:05 AM
I wear safety glasses whenever I do something that could cause something to fly into my eyes, Shooting, priming, machining, grinding, burning. It's always the time you said to yourself, "Awwwwwww, I won't take long and I'm careful.", and BAM something goes right into your eyes.

gidaeon
March 25, 2010, 11:10 AM
Prescription lenses, or sun glasses always! No reason not to on a range. We're not talking war zone hear.

I keep extra with me in case I ever take anyone.

Warhawk83
March 25, 2010, 11:37 AM
I wear them most of the time. Sometimes I just flat out forget unless I see another shooter with them on.

The outdoor range I always remember because I'm never the only shooter.

The indoor range is a different story and they have a habit of fogging up. I'll take em off to defog,load up a magazine, and forget to put them back on.

Onward Allusion
March 25, 2010, 11:59 AM
+1 Always wear glasses on the range!!!

There have been a couple of occasions on and off the shooting range where a pair of glasses (shooting and sunglasses) protected me from eye injury.

mljdeckard (http://www.thehighroad.org/member.php?u=30913)
I not only wear them, pretty much all of the time I'm out and about I wear my Wiley-x sunglass/goggles. It's not a bad idea to always have your eyes protected to some degree.

mack
March 25, 2010, 12:13 PM
My daily wear glasses - so I can see - are polycarbonate - and thicker than the generic shooting glasses or shades made of polycarbonate.

SwordRapier
March 25, 2010, 12:17 PM
I was doing volunteer work at the local DWR range. We were putting up a sun screen. The range required that we were safety glasses. Until that day I thought it was a good idea but didn't fully appreciate how good an idea it was.

Where we were working on the sunscreen was several feet behind the firing line. While we were working we had shooter on the line with an AR. I can't remember what I was doing exactly but I couldn't move I was holding the screen or something. The point of this rambling post is this; while I was there AR brass bounced off my safety glasses 3 times.

If I were not wearing the glasses the brass may bounced off my eyeballs.

I always where some sort of eye protection on the range either my prescription glasses or safety glasses.

mcdonl
March 25, 2010, 12:22 PM
Well, I am a prescription glasses wearer too. But, this time of year when the motorcycle comes out I wear safety glasses when I remember, which is most of the time. I wear them shooting, riding and casting. I wear my regular glasses for all of those events too.

I am considering this site though....

http://www.opticsplanet.com/

benEzra
March 25, 2010, 01:10 PM
I wear ordinary vision corrective glasses with fairly substantial polycarbonate lenses. I would like to get some decent prescription Wiley X style glasses at some point, but haven't gotten around to it.

Wearing over-the-glasses industrial goggles over regular glasses when shooting in eastern NC humidity is a very good way to simulate shooting in thick fog, which is why I don't use those.

bri
March 25, 2010, 01:20 PM
When learning to shoot and through my younger years, my father always had hearing protection for us but I don't recall wearing glasses as a kid.

I started wearing safety glasses within the last 10 years or so and now they're the first thing I reach for when doing anything that could mess up my eyes. I'd be quite disappointed in myself if I lost my vision because I didn't put on simple pair of specs...

CoRoMo
March 25, 2010, 01:24 PM
I don't understand people who don't wear some sort of eye protection. Eventually, you'll find out why you should. Hearing and eye protection always, always, always.

Hann
March 25, 2010, 01:32 PM
I wear them at shooting ranges. In the woods, no. I always wear ear protection.

CoRoMo
March 25, 2010, 01:38 PM
Are your rural shooting areas immune from ricochets, blowback, and all other mishaps?

Funny, I target shoot out in public land, and I still get hit in the face with blowback and whatnot. You'd think that since there are no range rules out there, that mishaps just don't happen.:rolleyes:

neededausername
March 25, 2010, 01:57 PM
I always wear safety glasses when shooting. When I first started shooting a few years ago I didn't want to wear them but my wife insisted. The second magazine I ran through my pistol a hot shell bounced off my glasses and down my shirt. It was unpleasant enough on my skin, I was glad it hadn't hit my eye. So I decided she was right and I always wear them since.

wankerjake
March 25, 2010, 02:07 PM
Are your rural shooting areas immune from ricochets, blowback, and all other mishaps?

Funny, I target shoot out in public land, and I still get hit in the face with blowback and whatnot. You'd think that since there are no range rules out there, that mishaps just don't happen.

Really? The reason some of us only wear glasses at the range isn't because of any increased risk, it's because some ranges make you wear them. I didn't start this thread with the intent to say that I think people should or shouln't wear eye protection. Do whatever you want, I'm not your mother. I was just curious because there seem to be a lot of people who think not wearing safety glasses is somehow the end of the world. But of course, there are people who just have to start an arguement in every thread and be degrading to others because their way is the only right way...

The arguement about operating macinery that spits stuff into the air like sandblasting or cutting rebar or whatever, that has nothing to do with this thread, at all. Duh, if you're gonna do something that is going to spit tiny particles all over and around your face then you should probably wear some eye protection. But this thread isn't about that.

Hearing protection: here is a real risk, guns make loud noises every time you shoot them. It's hard to argue against that. I think almost everybody here uses hearing protection. This thread is about eye protection.

To be honest I think the risk is pretty low, otherwise I'd wear protection more often than I do. Like the arguement about hot brass hitting you in the eye, gee I've never had that happen. If I had a firearm that shot brass at my face I would either get rid of it or wear glasses. The truth is most of us don't have guns that do this. Also, the average non-moron would just go stand somewhere else or duck his head if he was in the way of flying brass. But, I guess, you could just put on safety glasses and take it:rolleyes:

ArfinGreebly
March 25, 2010, 02:08 PM
I was a "sometimes" guy until this incident:

In 2007 I was standing beside Bob Smith (FRGC president & LFI instructor) when (while shooting my Taurus PT911) he took a jacket fragment in the eye.

He was sighting over the top of his everyday glasses, pulled the trigger, turned to me, blinking, and said, "do you see anything in this eye?" We flushed it (I carry eyedrops), but it still bothered him.

Next morning he went to the ophthalmologist and had a sliver of copper removed from his eyeball.

Hey, it may never happen.

It's one of those "stakes vs odds" things.

When you're standing right there when it happens, the argument about how "likely" it is just disappears.

CoRoMo
March 25, 2010, 02:14 PM
Arfin... your link isn't working for me.

CoRoMo, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

I didn't just get banned, did I? :eek:

Edit by mod:
No, sorry, it was a bad link. I grabbed the link from an old quote list of mine without checking its validity. Oops. I've removed it and updated the explanation.

wankerjake
March 25, 2010, 02:21 PM
I didn't just get banned, did I?
It isn't working for me either :uhoh: I think the main point is in the quote though. Also please understand I would never say that wearing eye protection is a bad idea. I just don't appreciate being called an idiot because I don't. Please, for all of you who wear eye protection, do continue to do so. I'm sure as I get older I'll do it more and more. I wish I wore sunglasses because that would be an easy fix, but as it is I cannot stand them.

CoRoMo
March 25, 2010, 02:28 PM
jake...

I get it, you only wear them because the range makes you. Bravo. You obviously couldn't understand what I was saying. I was saying that your position suffers from inexperience. You don't realize how probable mishaps are, so you won't wear them until one happens to you or unless you are required to do so. That's wonderful. It's not the end of the world, just your eyesight. Have a ball. But newsflash: when you fire a gun, tiny particles are spit violently from the gun. Get one in your eye and you'll wear protection thereafter. Hopefully it'll be minor and not major when it happens.

tkaction
March 25, 2010, 02:29 PM
but i wear glasses

Lonestar49
March 25, 2010, 02:31 PM

I wear them every time, anytime, in one format or another just like doing yard work, working in the bushes, turning one's head (into something just right) breaking up small broken twigs, etc., etc., as it only takes but once, and if your lucky a second time, to play it smart and safe.. when it comes to anything that can, quickly (cause that how it always happens) come flying into unprotected eyes..

I have no objections to anyone's choice, but once bitten, most understand the need as, just like once you launch a bullet, there's no calling it back, the same truth can hold true once you take something in the eye, you can't call it back and risk permanent injury or worse, loss..

To each his own, but all it takes is, as the old saying goes.. "one silver bullet to bring ya down.."

Luck,

Ls

natman
March 25, 2010, 02:33 PM
Depends on how you define "safety" glasses. I always wear decent sized plastic prescription glasses, but only to see. :)

If I didn't I'd wear shooting glasses every time.

M2 Carbine
March 25, 2010, 02:35 PM
I have to admit I never wear "safety glasses".
I wear prescription tri focals but the lens isn't real safety glass.

LeonCarr
March 25, 2010, 02:40 PM
Back when I was about 20, we were out shooting skeet one day. The next day my eye started bothering me. I went to the doctor and he removed a black speck from the white part of my left eye. Guess what that was?

I was a sometime guy until that day, now I am an always guy.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

KBintheSLC
March 25, 2010, 02:46 PM
I always wear either clear safety glasses or regular sunglasses. Its a good idea to protect your eyes when shooting. I have been hit by bullet fragments on more than one occasion. One fragment lodged itself a good 2mm into my cheek... had to pull it out with tweezers. If that had hit my naked eye, I'd look like a pirate right now.

SwordRapier
March 25, 2010, 02:47 PM
For me safety glasses are like ccw. I'd rather have them and not need them then need them and not have 'em.

stonecutter2
March 25, 2010, 02:48 PM
I wear them most of the time. I wear glasses anyways, so i always have something over my eyes, but i almost always wear shooting glasses, if even over my regular glasses.

One time i was shooting my SA GI .45 and a casing ricocheted off the wall of the lane i was in, and guess where it hit. Yep, right square where my right eye is. Luckily i was wearing my safety glasses, so it scratched them and not my prescription glasses. I was really glad I wore them that day! It saved me a trip to buy a new lens for my prescription glasses, and keeping anything over my eyes saved me serious injury.

I've also gotten blasted a bit with some .357 powder spraying a bit backwards out of my revolver...the glasses covered my eyes so i didn't get burning powder in them! My face got speckled a bit :\

Our local range requires glasses and ear plugs/cans, so it's an always when i shoot there. When I'm out in the country with friends - not nearly as often as I should, but i still do wear them most of the time.

hso
March 25, 2010, 03:00 PM
Just curious as to how many THR shooters wear safety glasses and to what extent....I bet the absence of safety glasses is more common than the OP thinks.

2/3 rds of the 165 members to respond said they wear them all the time. 80% said most of the time or all the time.

Seems like the great majority of member think it's important to protect their eyesight by wearing some protection while shooting.

Lee Roder
March 25, 2010, 03:02 PM
I wear them everytime I shoot, partly because I need glasses to see the target!

Me too. Sucks but otherwise my entire sight picture's a blur.

wankerjake
March 25, 2010, 03:04 PM
jake...

I get it, you only wear them because the range makes you. Bravo. You obviously couldn't understand what I was saying
I could see what you meant, but thought you worded it poorly, when you could tell (I assume) that the reason I don't wear them out in the sticks has nothing to do with incresed or decreased risk. If you wanted to bring that point up you could have done it in a more mannerly way and it would have added to the discussion instead of being rude about it and calling me out. Take a look at the thread and most of the responses relate worthwhile experiences about why one does or does not use eye protection, and then take a look at your post and leadcounsel's post and tell me you don't see a difference in attitudes. It's just rude and it takes away from the discussion instead of adding to it. For what it's worth, I disagree only with your approach to the topic, and not at all with your position.

hso
March 25, 2010, 03:11 PM
To be honest I think the risk is pretty low, otherwise I'd wear protection more often than I do. Like the arguement about hot brass hitting you in the eye, gee I've never had that happen. If I had a firearm that shot brass at my face I would either get rid of it or wear glasses.

I work in the safety profession and the folks that don't want to wear safety glasses in the workplace say the same things. "Never saw it happen before." "Nothing close has ever happened to me." "I can't get used to them." They're usually the one that the odds catch up to because when luck fails them they don't have anything between them and a trip to the eye doctor.

Casings may eject "funny" due to underpowered ammunition instead of a defective handgun. Shoot enough different ammo long enough and you'll encounter a casing that bounces off your face instead of 6 ft to the right. Same for shooting on a range or with a buddy. Primers may be loose and spew burnt/burning powders. Premature ignition may occur and a ruptured case might spit brass or the gun come apart. Odds are low, but the consequences are severe. If the world were 100% predictable we'd check our calendars for the scheduled encounter with the bad guy and schedule a conflict instead of practicing awareness or carrying a gun for the chance encounter.

BullRunBear
March 25, 2010, 03:24 PM
Eye and ear protection is mandatory at our range but the eye protection was never discretionary for me. I needed glasses to see the target unless it was 4 inches away :rolleyes: and my glasses used safety lenses. A couple of weeks ago I got contact lenses (they can finally handle my level of astigmatism). The first stop after leaving the optometrist was to get sunglasses and safety glasses for shooting.

One advantage is that I can now use one of those Meritt optical diaphrams. I didn't want to attach one to my regular glasses but have no problem doing so with the shooting glasses.

Jeff

Dravur
March 25, 2010, 04:18 PM
Considering that I don't want to have to get a parrot and start saying ARRRR....I wear glass every time. I also wear ear plug and muffs as my ears are important as well.

If you don't wanna wear eye and ear protection.... well, that's just crazy talk

Dominus
March 25, 2010, 04:42 PM
Any time I shoot I have safety glasses on.

Skillet
March 25, 2010, 05:07 PM
I always forget to, but I just got some as of recent and I will use them when out at the range from now on. Most of the time I wear sunglasses because in an outdoor deserty range things can get into your eye easily if it is on a windy day. We recently switched from earplugs to earmuffs, and I tell you! it's nice.

meadmkr
March 25, 2010, 05:23 PM
When I wore prescription glasses they were always on for shooting/hunting. I wore contacts a bit so I wore SGs then and now after Lasik I always wear them, even for yard work!
Normally I like clear or smoke colored but have picked up vermillion and orange to try for skeet shooting. Never really liked the amber lenses for some reason though.

CoRoMo
March 25, 2010, 05:29 PM
Just last Saturday I took a .22 semi-auto rifle out that I had recently fixed (now that thing runs like water falls!). I had eye and ear protection on and I was firing away into a backstop. I was videotaping the shoot and I watched it later at home. The video camera picked up the sound of a ricochet that I never would have heard with my ears plugged. I don't know where that bullet ended up, but it certainly didn't stay where I sent it.

Dokkalfar
March 26, 2010, 01:59 AM
I almost always do, except for occasionaly the time I'm using the 9x scope on the .270 to check shots from the .22s (3x just isnt too great at 50 or 100yds)

But the sunglasses I usually wear are actually safety glasses, a nice green pair from Nemesis :p They're actually designed to help protect from infrared/UV when welding, but I kinda like em in general. Turns the whole world green!

Meets ANSI Z87.1+ impact standard. The lenses shall be capable of resisting impact from a 6.35mm (1/4 in.) steel ball traveling at 45.7m/s (150 ft/s). not quite gonna save me from a direct eye-shot, but not too bad :)

JoeSlomo
March 26, 2010, 02:23 AM
Always wear eye pro.

I consider 20 bucks a good investment on protecting my vision.

MarineOne
March 26, 2010, 04:40 AM
I wear glasses to see so I always make sure I get polycarbonate lenses to help protect my eyes, or use my Oakley's with my prescription in their lens.

For my wife and boys its shooting glasses all the time, every time.

danprkr
March 26, 2010, 07:35 AM
Taking hot brass in the eye is NOT fun so I always wear them. Doesn't always matter though, I had one piece of 9mm brass that wedged itself between the frame and my temple, and I wound up with a brass shaped burn for a few days. Fortunately it didn't affect my eyes per se, but it was kind of annoying.

Ky Larry
March 26, 2010, 07:39 AM
Saw a person loose an eye in the Air Force many years ago. An ounce of prevention............

deadeyedog270
March 26, 2010, 07:45 AM
I have glasses for seeing distance and they are inpact resist lenses have been real good between the house remodeling,woodworking, reloading and shooting I do
be for I had to get glasses I did wear safty glasses alot I use to mow for people (8 lawns a week) never know when mowing or trimming somthing might fly up I always wear ear protection to

Ragnar Danneskjold
March 26, 2010, 07:46 AM
I wear Oakley Half Jackets or Revision Sawfly's when I shoot at all times. Eye protection is a fundamental of shooting IMO.

kanook
March 26, 2010, 08:40 AM
You can walk with a wooden leg

You can shake hands with a wooden arm

You can't see with a glass eye

I was 12 and had just convinced my father that I was capable of owning my own 22. About 2 hours later I came home with a bb lodged under the eye muscle of my left eye. I caught a ricochette and got very lucky. The bb hit on the ridge of my eye socket and could've gone either way. Needless to say I ALWAYS WEAR EYE PROTECTION.

FAS1
March 26, 2010, 08:59 AM
Always for me. I have had excellent eye site all my life and want to keep it that way.
Took a .22 ricochet to the upper lip once at the range and my buddy had to pull that jagged fragment from my lip with pretty good force.

Always wore a helmet on a motorcycle too, and every time I crashed on a street bike the helmet had scrapes on it and I was uninjured.

Don't wait until something happens, it could be too late to prevent the injury.

MetalHead
March 26, 2010, 10:28 AM
Not as often as I should, just picked up my first pair of yellow lenses.

FROGO207
March 26, 2010, 11:31 AM
45 years ago as a teenager I made the decision that if I had to wear glasses that they would be industrial safety prescription type glasses. To this day that is all that I wear--don't have to remember to put them on as I always wear them. At least once a year I say "glad I wore safety glasses today". The guy wearing both suspenders AND belt has a lesson worth telling I bet.:D

SuperNaut
March 26, 2010, 11:47 AM
My regular glasses are polycarb safety rated lenses. So, always.

searcher451
March 26, 2010, 12:00 PM
I can't think of a single good reason not to.

John Wayne
March 26, 2010, 12:09 PM
I always wear some type of eye protection when shooting (although I'll admit I don't usually when hunting). Indoors it's clear safety glasses, outdoors either orange safety glasses or sunglasses with impact-resistant lenses.

Why not? The only problem I have encountered is one pair of my sunglasses causes me to not get a good seal when wearing earmuffs.

ArfinGreebly
March 26, 2010, 03:48 PM
BTW, polycarb glasses are not shatterproof. They're scratch resistant and shatter resistant, but a high-speed impact will bust the lens for real.

The other thing is how the lens is fixed in the frames. Depending on how your glasses are made, they may or may not be firmly and permanently anchored to the frames. I have, on more than one occasion, popped out a lens that was "secured" in the frames, and I didn't need a bullet fragment to accomplish that.

If you wear prescription glasses (like I do), unless your glasses are specifically safety rated, I would suggest wearing safety covers.

mljdeckard
March 28, 2010, 08:16 PM
(I've been out for a few days,)

I wear the Wiley-X SG-1s a lot, but I have also had problems with them. I paid $100 each for two sets of pop-out lenses, clear and tinted, and they have been a bit problematic.

The gaskets keep falling out, I have had to re-superglue them in a few times. The 'v-cut' gaskets do an ok job of not fogging, it's more like you try to keep them the right temperature and live with it a little until they clear when you put them on. The 'pop off' temples broke, I had to superglue them in place so now I can't pop them off and use the head strap. (I didn't find it necessary, even with my ACH, but it would be nice to be able to use it if I needed it.) I just got my prescription checked, and I am relieved that it has shifted enough that I need something else and I have an excuse not to use these anymore after I paid a chunk for them. One might think that I was hard on them, but I have been wearing glasses since I was a young child, and I've used many name brands of sunglasses, none of them ever gave me this much trouble, from one side of the world to the other.

I ordered a full set of BCGs, mask inserts, generic DOD-supplied free glasses, and they asked me what kind of protective inserts I wanted, I told them to get me ESS ICE inserts. The whole setup for the ICE, with multiple lens colors and a prescription insert is about $85 retail. (And I can use the insert in their dust goggles too.) My Wileys were $285. Even if the ESSs feel cheaper, they are still a lot more cost-effective.

Skillet
March 29, 2010, 11:23 AM
What are some good glasses to get that won't break the bank and where can I get them?

Jonah71
March 29, 2010, 11:41 AM
With only one "working" eye....always. Except when qualifying for CCW and I forgot to put them on. Prescription glasses. The instructor after I was through firing said," You may wanna concider wearing these." They were on the tailgate of his truck. Although with those particular glasses I shot better without them. Have new glasses now.

DFW1911
March 29, 2010, 01:39 PM
Wow, I'd never consider not wearing them.

Justin
March 29, 2010, 01:48 PM
If I'm wearing contact lenses, I go with a set of Smith wraparounds. The same kind that a lot of mountain bikers use. Lens color is either yellow, orange, or clear if I'm shooting indoors.

If no contacts, I wear a set of Decot Hy-Wyds. Yes, they look nerdy.

duns
March 29, 2010, 02:45 PM
I wear my prescription glasses. If the range makes me, I wear safety glasses on top.

millertyme
March 29, 2010, 02:56 PM
I have a couple different shades I wear depending on the conditions. If I'm shooting from shade (like at my range) with a clear sky and the sun overhead, pretty much any pair of polarized sunglasses with polycarbonate lenses works for me, but when the sun gets low or the clouds roll in (not real often around here) I prefer something with either amber or brown tinted lenses. I do make it a thing of choice to wear some form of eye protection every time I'm shooting, though.

thorazine
March 29, 2010, 02:56 PM
Although mine aren't technically "safety glasses" I always have something covering my eyes for my shooting style brings the firearm closer to my face (reading distance) and casings are more likely to impact my face / head.

308win
March 29, 2010, 03:00 PM
Why wouldn't you!

Water-Man
March 29, 2010, 03:06 PM
Amazing! 1/3 of the respondents of this post don't ALWAYS wear glasses.:rolleyes:

Boba Fett
March 29, 2010, 05:03 PM
What are some good glasses to get that won't break the bank and where can I get them?

I like the ESS ICE 3 glasses. I've had a pair for the last few years and they work great IMHO. They have a clip on carrying case with three lenses (yellow, clear, and shaded). Should be able to get them for right around $50. Well worth it. Most comfortable and versatile glasses I've found, especially for that price.

http://www.esseyepro.com/ICE_18_category.html

A couple places to look:
http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/item.aspx?PID=305645&w=PQ%2BJDyOLrQE%3D (be sure they are the three lens set...or not if you only want the single. Just check with them so you know what you're buying since their descriptions and pics aren't always accurate...otherwise I've had good purchases with these guys)

Opticsplanet.com (a good place as well, though the price for the ESS ICE seems to have gone up since I purchased mine from them)

http://www.patriotoutfitters.com/scripts/z.exe/sbproc?action=sp20748&path=gshop&utm_source=gbase (haven't used them, but pretty good price)

http://www.botachtactical.com/ess24icena3.html - good price on them, though I've heard some people have trouble with this site, some don't. Use product code stimulus for 10% off (should still be good).

Or pick from any of the places listed in a Google Shopping search for ESS ICE 3 or ESS ICE Naro. Wherever you decide, check out retailmenot.com (http://retailmenot.com) to see if there are any coupons or discounts being offered by that site. I can usually save the cost of shipping at the very least with a quick check of the site I'm shopping at.

theotherwaldo
March 29, 2010, 05:05 PM
I've already got one seriously damaged eye. I can't afford to damage the other one.

Polycarbonate prescription lenses - whenever I'm doing anything beside reading or sleeping.

Leafy Cronmer
March 30, 2010, 05:01 AM
I always do, even when shooting a pellet gun. My eyesight is kinda important to me not worth getting damaged, also I like wearing yellow glasses It might be mental but I think I can see better with yellow safety glasses.

thebaldguy
March 30, 2010, 09:47 PM
I don't wear real safety glasses. I wear eyeglasses with shatter resistant plastic lenses. It's a good idea to wear eye protection.

SWDoc
March 31, 2010, 11:53 AM
Always. Also a ball cap and muffs.

Steve

nm3
March 31, 2010, 11:58 AM
Always when shooting at the range and priming cases.

Spike89
March 31, 2010, 12:08 PM
I'm "young and stupid" but not quite that stupid. I want a chance to see my kids someday. Still though there is always a risk even with the glasses. Your just better off wearing them.

WardenWolf
March 31, 2010, 12:09 PM
I only wear them if I'm required to. I do sometimes wear sunglasses, but not if I'm using a scope. Granted, none of my guns eject to the rear, and I'm screened off from other shooters so none of their casings can come my way, and none of my guns are polymer so a "kaboom" that throws shrapnel is exceedingly unlikely. Worst I've ever gotten is a bit of gas from my Saiga 12, and I shoot lefty.

hammerklavier
March 31, 2010, 12:26 PM
Amazing! 1/3 of the respondents of this post don't ALWAYS wear glasses.

The poll is flawed, many wear prescription glasses, but not safety glasses.

Boba Fett
March 31, 2010, 12:41 PM
I only wear them if I'm required to. I do sometimes wear sunglasses, but not if I'm using a scope. Granted, none of my guns eject to the rear, and I'm screened off from other shooters so none of their casings can come my way, and none of my guns are polymer so a "kaboom" that throws shrapnel is exceedingly unlikely. Worst I've ever gotten is a bit of gas from my Saiga 12, and I shoot lefty.
I urge you to reconsider your "only if required" stance. The thing about firearms is they are unpredictable. Bullets ricochet, firearms explode, hot brass bounces off of things; the list is endless.

Perfect example of the unpredictable sort of circumstances was a friend's Ruger revolver. We were at the range one day shooting his 44mag revolver having a great time. After several cylinders worth of shooting, we both wince at with several hot stinging "bites" right after a shot. We weren't sure what was happening, but whenever the revolver was shot, the shooter and whoever was standing back and to the right would get several hot pin pricks in the face.

We didn't know what was causing it at the time (both of us were fairly new shooters then) but it was obvious something was wrong with the gun. We sent it to Ruger and they said that the cylinder wasn't lining up with the barrel perfectly and when the round was fired it would impact the edge of the barrel just a little bit and shave off part of the bullet. Thus sending those hot shards back at our faces.

Thank God we both had a safety mindset and were wearing our glasses. As bad as it stung getting hit in the face by hot, sharp pieces of copper and lead, I know they wouldn't have done my eyes any good.

Mike OTDP
March 31, 2010, 08:42 PM
I wear glasses anyway, but my shooting glasses are Knoblocks with a shooting lens.

medmo
April 2, 2010, 04:15 AM
Always. Safety First. Anyone who doesn't should reconsider.

JDGray
April 2, 2010, 05:13 AM
Since my glasses are prescription, my shooting day is usually pretty bad without them:)

JEB
April 2, 2010, 11:13 PM
i dont own a pair of "safety glasses" but i almost always wear a pair of sunglasses

Sediment
April 4, 2010, 03:14 AM
Impact sunglasses outdoors, regular safety indoors. Hard part is finding indoor glasses that don't fog up horribly.

paintballdude902
April 4, 2010, 03:16 AM
ballistic oakleys

leadcounsel
April 4, 2010, 03:20 AM
I can think of few things more important than my eyesight, and my eyes are incredibly easy to protect from normal injuries. I wear some sort of clear or tinted eyeprotection when shooting, using powertools, driving, walking through the woods, etc. All it takes is an instant to cause serious irreversible eye damage. I've been struck in the eyes by hot metal particles from pistol shooting; had branches catch me in the face while hiking in the woods; and had glass particles from windshields hit me in the face during car accidents. Good glasses are cheap and easy to use.

H1500308
April 4, 2010, 10:07 AM
All the time, everytime. My livelihood depends upon me maintaining my eyesight.

lakerfan5858
April 5, 2010, 01:31 AM
I voted all the time,Because with out them i can't see the target very well,and it makes me feel much safer

If you enjoyed reading about "Safety Glasses Poll" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!