Only one handgun?

PDA

Blue Brick
March 25, 2010, 12:51 AM
As the saying goes, "beware of the man who owns only one handgun. He probably knows how to use it." Besides yours truly how many other members only own one handgun?

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r15/Blue_Brick/DSC01919.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Only one handgun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wrs840
March 25, 2010, 01:09 AM
The last time I owned only one handgun, it was for the same reason I owned only one pair of shoes.

Les

BullfrogKen
March 25, 2010, 01:13 AM
I only owned one handgun until I bought my second. Then I sensed a pattern and just went with it.

jcalys
March 25, 2010, 01:14 AM
My Sig 226 is my only handgun... but hopefully I'll pick up a second this weekend.

BCRider
March 25, 2010, 01:56 AM
They tell me that to do well at IPSC I should only shoot one gun. But I can't help it. I'm a shooting slut!

I've only been in the sport (and a sport it is up in this country due to the laws) for a year and a half but thanks to having enough income and no mortgage I've managed to accumulate twenty handguns. Twelve revolvers and eight semi autos.

Getting into cowboy action had a lot to do with the shift towards revolvers. I've got three black powder C&B and two cartridge SA wheelguns just for that. But I've also got a core of four fantastic S&W's made up of a 10, 17, 19 and 28.

While all this variety definetly has limited my ability with any one gun I have to say that I really enjoy the variety. In the future I may focus more on my IPSC or other match shooting with a single gun but there'll always be some variety in my shooting. I'm just built that way.... :D

DoesItMatter
March 25, 2010, 02:03 AM
Confucious say:

He who has only one gun, must only have one hand...

LOL, just kidding!

Its like that potato chip ad... you can't have just one...

It's not an addiction!

It's not... oooh, gun sale...

Radagast
March 25, 2010, 04:13 AM
Only one gun? One Gun?! ONE GUN!?!?! NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!
*hides in the gun safe for comfort*
Seriously, no, I like owning different guns. There is a pleasure in possessing finely crafted machines and admiring the different ways they perform the same function.
I will admit to tending to shoot only one gun intensively over a period of time. For many years it was my Glock 17, there was a S&W Model 60 kick at one point, For the last few years it has been the Beretta 92fs and lately it has been the S&W Model 18. But through that decade, although 4 guns predominated, others came to the range with me.

tasco 74
March 25, 2010, 04:35 AM
i have one centerfire revolver and yes i do use it very well....... however last year i got a chance to buy a ruger ss mkII target model hb and i just couldn't past up such a good deal on an unfired .22 target pistol..... it came from a good friend who's brother had died last year who was also a good friend so it might be a safe queen...................... as it is sentimental to me.........

HAS FREEDOM DIED?....... liberty weeps............................

mechawreck
March 25, 2010, 06:45 AM
I have 3 handguns, but they're all in the same caliber if that counts. Though if I had to have only one, I'd go the Elmer Keith way and adopt a 44 mag 4 inch.

Guillermo
March 25, 2010, 10:09 AM
I do not know anyone with only one handgun.

Heck, my 16 year old daughter has two and my current wife has 3.

Actually, now that I think about it, I know a fellow that might only have a stainless j-frame. He is not a gun guy and has only shot it once or twice. I do not think that it is loaded. Not sure that he counts.

shockwave
March 25, 2010, 10:50 AM
I have 3 handguns, but they're all in the same caliber if that counts.

I'm lining up my third purchase of a handgun, and it will be in the same caliber as the other two - so I'll have a 6", a 4", and a 2.5" option to go with. Yeah, I'd "beware of the man with only one gun" because that man is probably a bit hungry and in a bad mood.

MattTheHat
March 25, 2010, 10:55 AM
Maybe one of EACH handgun. Err, sorry, that doesn't work either.

-Matt

MCgunner
March 25, 2010, 11:15 AM
Good to know I'm not the only addict in the crowd. :D

I have more'n one rifle and I know how to shoot 'em pretty well. I never put much stock in that old adage.

easyg
March 25, 2010, 11:45 AM
The last time I owned only one handgun, it was for the same reason I owned only one pair of shoes.

Les
Exactly!

About this old adage...
"beware of the man who owns only one handgun. He probably knows how to use it."

I honestly think that the average man who owns only one gun probably owns only one because (1) he really isn't in to shooting that much and probably has a handgun in the nightstand beside the bed that he hasn't touched in months, if not years or (2) he simply cannot afford to buy more guns. And if he cannot afford more guns then he probably cannot afford the ammo to frequently practice with his one gun.

THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO ALL WHO POSSESS ONLY ONE GUN.
So, please, no offense intended.
Just my two cent's worth.

Easy

joe_security
March 25, 2010, 02:19 PM
Blue Brick: If that Ruger is your only handgun, you are still well armed.

natman
March 25, 2010, 02:40 PM
California has a "One Handgun a Month" law, but I'm seriously behind my quota. :)

gwnorth
March 25, 2010, 03:21 PM
I do have more than one (more then one revolver and more then one autoloader for that matter), but if only one, I must applaud your choice sir :)

My pair of S.Sixes
http://www.mbblack.com/pictures/Ruger_Ssixes2.jpg

Blue Brick
March 25, 2010, 05:27 PM
Blue Brick: If that Ruger is your only handgun, you are still well armed.

Thanks.

woodswalker2
March 25, 2010, 06:12 PM
I only own 1 handgun , a GP100 , but only because I don't have the $$$ to buy another . When I save up enough , I'll buy a SP101 . That's all I really need for handguns .

Setzer77
March 25, 2010, 06:47 PM
I know a retirement age fellow (a wheel man) for whom that adage definitely rings true. I've never known him to own more than 1 handgun at a time, but whatever it is he'll know how to use it effectively. Most gentle natured fellow you'll ever run across...until you f*** with his family.

When he retired from the Sheriff's Dept, he passed his 686 to his son, and it is a beautiful piece.

GRIZ22
March 25, 2010, 07:49 PM
"beware of the man who owns only one handgun. He probably knows how to use it."

I saw Skeeter Skelton say that in an article long ago. He then related a story of a friend who moved up to Alaska. The only gun the guy owned was a S&W M&P in 32-20. Skeeter went to visit his friend after a year and on the cabin floor was a Grizzly skin rug. Skeeter said I'm not claiming he killed that bear with a 32-20 but it was the only gun he had.

It's been a long time since I owned just one but if it cam down to it it'd be a 4" GP100.

22-rimfire
March 25, 2010, 07:55 PM
I owned only one handgun after I bought my first; a 22 revolver. One didn't last long. I don't even count them anymore.

bobelk99
March 25, 2010, 08:23 PM

Amusing but true:evil:

hicksdm
March 25, 2010, 09:04 PM
I own one type--revolvers.

Gunfighter123
March 25, 2010, 09:08 PM
Last time I ONLY owned one handgun ---- I was SIXTEEN YEARS OLD --- I'm now around 50 and thats about how many handguns I have.

And like the old saying ---- BEWARE THE MAN WHO COMPETES WITH MORE THEN ONE HANDGUN ---- HE KNOWS HOW TO USE THEM ALL !!!!!!

Confederate
March 25, 2010, 09:35 PM
last year i got a chance to buy a ruger ss mkII target model hb and i just couldn't past up such a good deal on an unfired .22 target pistol.....
There seems to be an explosion of Ruger Security-Six threads lately, but as much as I like revovers in general and Security-Sixes in particular, if I could only have one gun, it would be a Ruger Mark II/III .22LR 5-inch (or any barrel length). Ammo is cheap, easy to store and carry and the gun works.

My second choice would be a .357 (SS or 686). In a perfect world, one can have both.

LHshot
March 26, 2010, 11:39 AM
I'll tell you what–if I were to get rid of all but one, this would be the one I'd keep. m66-1
I agree with this sentiment: "If you can't get the job done with 5 or 6 shots from a .38 special, there's a slim chance you can get it done with 10 or 15 shots from anything else."

huntsman
March 26, 2010, 11:59 AM
Only one handgun?

I'm still searching for my one true gun, when I find it I'll give my extras to my sons.

22-rimfire
March 26, 2010, 11:59 AM
If I could only have one, it would be a 4" Colt Diamondback in 22LR. My second choice would be a Smith Model 18.

gordy
March 26, 2010, 06:29 PM
I remember when I only had one handgun. It was in 1981.:what: So many years ago. Many handguns ago also.:)

NHSHTR
March 26, 2010, 08:17 PM
Having one handgun is sort of a pause, a time between quarters, a break in the action (so to speak :)), definitely temporary. The game will begin again shortly!

Rexster
March 26, 2010, 08:23 PM
I keep my serious handguns as close to a medium-frame DA revolver as possible. I am mandated to carry a DA .40 autoloader at work, and am allowed some choice of models. I use the SIG P229 with the DAK trigger system, a VERY good mimic of a K-frame S&W revolver trigger, which points like my S&W and Ruger sixguns. (I tried, and ultimately rejected, the Glock system.) A P229 balances more like a 2.5" or 3" revolver, so I shoot shoot a longer 4" to 6" revolver a bit better.

My usual "little" handguns are Ruger SP101 fiveguns, which behave more like service-sized weapons in my hands; I can get all of my skinny fingers onto the semi-square factory grip.

I get cheap training for all of these weapons with a K-frame Model 17 chambered in .22 LR. So, it may not be "one gun" for me, but it is guns that point the same and have similar trigger manipulations, that I use for most serious purposes.

robctwo
March 27, 2010, 12:58 AM
I've bought four since Jan. 1.

I didn't own any for a few years, borrowed Dad's. Then kept one of the borrows or a few years. Then bought an auto loader, then 10, then more.....plus press, dies and supplies..............

fflgundealers.net
March 27, 2010, 01:20 AM
Blue Brick,

I am impressed with your ability to be simple. If this is your only handgun, and you carry it everyday, tell others on this revolver thread:

THR
-Tools and Technologies
-Show Me Your EDC Revolver and Holster Combo PICS
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=6378016#post6378016

Your Ruger will never FTF or FTE. You'll never have to ask yourself, "Is the safety on?" Simply put, nice choice.

FFL Gun Dealers (http://fflgundealers.net/)

Blue Brick
March 27, 2010, 04:04 AM
I am impressed with your ability to be simple. Simply put, nice choice.

Thanks.

Brian Williams
March 27, 2010, 05:57 AM
It would be a toss up between a Colt Woodsman 1st series with a 6" barrel or a S&W 13 with a 3" barrel.

silverking
March 27, 2010, 10:06 AM
I have only 1 Ruger Single six .22lr 6"
1 Ruger SP101 .357 mag 2.25" (EDC)
1 Ruger GP100 .357 mag 4.2"
1 S&W Mod. 19-5 .357 mag 6"
1 S&W Mod 686 .357mag 6"
1 Dan Wesson mod 15 .357mag 6"
so far!

Starter52
March 27, 2010, 07:30 PM
I bought three handguns this weekend. I haven't owned just one since January 1978.

230therapy
March 27, 2010, 11:55 PM
As the saying goes, "beware of the man who owns only one handgun. He probably knows how to use it." Besides yours truly how many other members only own one handgun?

So totally untrue. I've seen guys on the ranges I've run who didn't know how to do much besides load the gun, operate the safety and sort of shoot.

They had no idea how to run the gun, move and shoot, use retention techniques and any of the other skills that would come in handy in a fight.

This was a high percentage of people...many of whom are walking around with openly carried handguns.

dispatch
March 28, 2010, 12:35 AM
Blue Brick, the one handgun you have is mighty worthy of respect.
If I ever to get to Pinal County, Arizona I will you want you on my side. I will be likely armed with the same handgun--and probably a other firearms in the truck.

ironvic
March 28, 2010, 01:57 PM
I've tried owning one handgun from time-to-time, but always end up finding some other gun I just have to have...

Nushif
March 28, 2010, 02:10 PM
dunno about the owning, I'd say the adage goes more for only using one. *le nod*

Blue Brick
March 28, 2010, 04:23 PM
If I ever to get to Pinal County, Arizona I will you want you on my side.

Thanks.

ceadermtnboy
March 28, 2010, 05:05 PM
I might could live with one centerfire handguns (Ruger 6" GP100 half lug barrell) and one rimfire (Ruger single six 6-1/2" barrell). I cant think of two better cover everything revolvers east of the Mississippi.

gmh1013
March 28, 2010, 08:57 PM
Pinal is just down the road from me...I live in Ahwatukee off Chandler blvd.
Unless you are out in Queen Creek south east valley?

OldCavSoldier
March 28, 2010, 11:47 PM
In the beginning, my one and only handgun was a 6" S&W M28. For only a couple of years. Then a Colt Combat Commander. Then another Colt Cbt Cdr. Then, well, I was corrupted and have been following my heart ever since.........

David E
March 29, 2010, 12:53 AM
ONE handgun? It depends on the reason WHY only one handgun.

Finances? Laws ? Confiscation? Bug Out time?

lwknight
March 29, 2010, 02:24 AM
Everyone starts out with only one handgun. If they continue to own only one handgun , they probably are not on this forum.

captain awesome
March 29, 2010, 02:43 AM
Ironically, If I was restricted t just one, it probably wouldn't be any of the ones I currently own.

I am thinking either a 357 redhawk, or 44 redhawk. If I am stuck with one, I want it to last.

TwoNiner
March 29, 2010, 02:57 AM
I'm one ahead on my monthly California quote thanks to private party transfers (they are excluded from the 1-gun-per-month limit).

If I could have only one handgun I'd move to a free country.

Stainz
March 29, 2010, 07:17 AM
This wouldn't be a bad choice for a 'one gun world':

http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/Stainz_2007/IMG_0594.jpg

Formidable firepower - even with my wimpy ball ammo reloads! And... on a good day, WallyWorld has 250rd UMC brass cased ball ammo for ~$90!

Stainz

Old Shooter
March 29, 2010, 07:30 AM
I don't know who first said it but I've since learned it's true.

Two is one and one is none.

And I've got more than two now.

fflgundealers.net
March 29, 2010, 11:07 PM
Stainz,

It looks like a FULL MOON! Nice display. Keep stocked up!

FFL Gun Dealers (http://fflgundealers.net)

iyn
March 30, 2010, 03:57 PM
my one gun is an old colt 1911. but my SW 625 is my favorite and is my "first responder" at home. in a world of high cap polymer guns a like revolvers more and more.

If you enjoyed reading about "Only one handgun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!