Winchester in 7mm

PDA

D Boone
March 25, 2010, 08:44 AM
I have been offered one this morning for $250. It has a synthetic stock, haven't seen it yet, but told it is in good condition and shot very little. Without knowing a model number, at that price would it be worth it? 7mm is on my to do list and for $250 I want to say yes even sight unseen. If its the cheapest one they make with the molded synthetic stock can a wood stock be had for it? Are they accurate? Please help!

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester in 7mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Arkel23
March 25, 2010, 11:40 AM
7mm what?

jimmyraythomason
March 25, 2010, 11:50 AM
If it shoots it's likely worth $250. I'm guessing it is one of the lesser grade Model 70s most likely in 7mm Rem Mag(just a guess). It can be restocked and refinished to make a nice looking rifle.

Snakum
March 25, 2010, 01:54 PM
It sounds like a USRAC Model 70 Black Shadow in 7mm RM. I have one and since it has been bedded and floated it shoots lights out with heavy Remington Accutips or Hornady Amaxes. When you shoot the barrel out you can put a 26" Douglas on it and bed it into a thumbhole stock and go F-Class'n wid it.

$250 is an excellent price on one. I see them on GunBroker from time to time with people asking over $500 for new old stock Black Shadows in mag calibers.

shaggy430
March 25, 2010, 02:54 PM
I've got one and it's an excellent rifle. Mine will drive tacks and accounted for a good muley buck this year at about 300 yards.

D Boone
March 26, 2010, 09:38 AM
Just picked this up, guy threw in a box of shells! It looks like the bog standard win mod 70 in synthetic stock. Was in good shape, a little surface rust spotting, just visible out in the sun. Gonna go home and give it a good cleaning, hope to get it on paper this week. Felt like a good deal, all the ones like it on ginbroker were started at at least 350. Has anyone put a thumbhole stock on one? Does it help with recoil?

Art Eatman
March 26, 2010, 11:29 AM
I spent so many years with a conventional grip that I dang near wreck my thumb if I use a thumbhole stock. Gotta train yourself to make that extra sideways motion, to slow down on recycling the bolt.

I personally don't see it as a good thing for a hunting rifle. Okay for target shooting, I guess...

jimmyraythomason
March 26, 2010, 11:32 AM
I never liked the look or feel of a thumbhole on a boltgun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester in 7mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!