Now that im a Police Officer, what can I buy?

PDA

Gunman21
March 25, 2010, 10:22 AM
As a citizen of general public, I could tell you every gun one could buy and what was restricted. I know that certain weapons and post ban FA are restricted to LE and Military only (except certain dealers ok). Recently I took a job with a local PD and now I'm a Detention officer (class 2 police). So what privileges if any does that title
give me when it comes to buying weapons? My intuition tells me that only the department itself could buy weapons. In other words, I can't add a box of grenades and a couple Mg's to my personal arsenal. But hey a mans gotta try.

If you enjoyed reading about "Now that im a Police Officer, what can I buy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
docpadds
March 25, 2010, 10:50 AM
It does not give you the ability to buy full auto, suppressors etc. It may give you a discount through dealers, some of the products we sell can go at discount to law enforcement.
As for products marked LE only etc then thats a manufacturer thing, I see LE marked Colts every day in civilian hands.

armoredman
March 25, 2010, 11:13 AM
If you are a POST certified peace officer, you get to CCW without a permit, on your badge. Depending on what state you live in, perhaps some classes of firearms not generally available to the public may be issued to you, such as short barreled carbines or select fire pistol caliber submachineguns.
I like what Barret did - any place that restricts his firearms from the general public doesn't get to give them to the PD, either. I also live in AZ, which restricts no class of firearm from the general public, so getting a badge means no more to the firearms world than CCW without a permit. This kinda backfires on LE, as they must go through the Brady check when purchasing a firearm, while a CCW permit holder does not.

John Parker
March 25, 2010, 11:49 AM
I didn't know that 'police officer' was a proper noun. Good work on your new job, I hope you enjoy it!

TexasRifleman
March 25, 2010, 12:07 PM
My intuition tells me that only the department itself could buy weapons.

Your intuition is correct. You get no "special privileges" as LE as far as NFA goes.

docnyt
March 25, 2010, 12:29 PM
I believe you are entitled to 10% off any Krispy Kreme and Dunkin Donuts store.

Just kidding! Congrats!

bigalexe
March 25, 2010, 01:07 PM
Now that im a Police Officer, what can I buy?

I apologize if this is out of line but this kind of question completely disqualifies you as being a respectable officer or individual in my opinion. You may as well have asked "Well now that I'm better than yall, what toys can I buy?"

Anything bought that can only be sold to LEO will be bought and owned by the department, not you. As such it will come out of the department budget, which is paid by some municipality or community which you police.

Maybe what you should be doing instead of asking for a list of what LEO can purchase is instead do research, familiarize yourself with the tools your department at its disposal currently, and consider if there are any tool lacking that you believe would increase your effectiveness as an individual charged with keeping the public safe. Then once you have determined that a tool may in fact be useful and is worth purchasing, see if you can buy it.

You should spend more time worrying about how to be the most effective you can in your position than what toys you can get because now you have special permission.

HGUNHNTR
March 25, 2010, 01:22 PM
You are still a U.S. citizen and you still enjoy all of the rights the rest of us do. No priveledges NFA wise are granted based on your new occupation.

LiquidTension
March 25, 2010, 01:51 PM
You can buy LE restricted firearms, such as the $398 Glocks and the discounted Sig, Springfield, S&W, and Colt offerings. LEOs do not have to pay the excise tax on complete firearms (11% or something).

jimmyraythomason
March 25, 2010, 02:01 PM
You can buy LE restricted firearms WHAT LE resticted guns? Are you only talking about at discounted prices?

Snakum
March 25, 2010, 02:05 PM
I guess you can buy the Rock River Arms 14.5" SBR. :D

(Even though there is a sticker on it that says "For Military and LE only" I know two people who bought 'em at gun shows and they ain't cops, so I dunno if it's a big deal or not.)

LiquidTension
March 25, 2010, 02:32 PM
WHAT LE resticted guns? Are you only talking about at discounted prices?

Yeah like I stated above it's mostly about the excise tax. I have seen where some of the "LE Only" guns come with an extra magazine as well. There may be a LE exemption in states that require ridiculous safety mechanisms (NY, CA, MA) but I do not live in such a state so I can't say for sure.

jimmyraythomason
March 25, 2010, 02:40 PM
Anything marked LE only is either a holdover from the 1994 "Crime bill" or from states that still have such silly restrictions. Even then it only applies to departments not individual officers.

LiquidTension
March 25, 2010, 02:52 PM
The tax exemption applies to individual officers.

jimmyraythomason
March 25, 2010, 02:54 PM
I am talking about weapons not monetary consideration. There are no guns that an individual officer may buy that are not also available to "civilians".

Sam1911
March 25, 2010, 02:55 PM
I guess you can buy the Rock River Arms 14.5" SBR.
(Even though there is a sticker on it that says "For Military and LE only" I know two people who bought 'em at gun shows and they ain't cops, so I dunno if it's a big deal or not.)

Four possibilities:
1) They purchased a 14.5" barreled rifle on a Form 4 as a Title II registered short-barreled rifle. With a $200 tax and a 4-6 month wait.

2) They purchased a 14.5" barreled UPPER which is not a firearm and can be sold over-the-counter, so to speak. But then they could not legally assemble it onto a lower receiver until filling out the Form 1, paying their $200 and getting their cancelled tax stamp back.

3) They purchased a 14.5" barreled rifle with a permanantly-attached (pinned & welded) long flash hider to bring the total barrel length up over 16".

4) They purchased a 14.5" barreled AR-15 pistol with no butt stock.

Anything else would have been a violation of the National Firearms Act of 1934 -- cops or not.

Bubbles
March 25, 2010, 03:04 PM
The tax exemption applies to individual officers.

Sales to individual officers are not exempt from FAET. Sales direct from the manufacturer to state and local governments, which includes law-enforcement agencies, are exempt.

FAET Exemptions (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=9c27c07ceb5f0d0fc155b9b9d4e557f4&rgn=div6&view=text&node=27:2.0.1.2.6.8&idno=27)

LiquidTension
March 25, 2010, 03:27 PM
Huh. Well don't tell my local stores, I do enjoy being able to buy brand new Glocks for $398 with 3 mags.

Geno
March 25, 2010, 03:46 PM
Well, ya can't buy anything that I can't buy unless it's for work, and at that, you need a signed letter from your boss. The only breaks you'd get in Michigan is that the coffee and donuts are free at Dunkin Donuts. :neener: Get used to that one.

There durn it! I got to be the first one to mess with ya! :evil:

Geno

LiquidTension
March 25, 2010, 03:53 PM
Subway and Taco Bell give free stuff too :)

Bubbles
March 25, 2010, 04:03 PM
Well don't tell my local stores, I do enjoy being able to buy brand new Glocks for $398 with 3 mags.

Glock paid FAET on the pistol, your local store is just giving you their own LE discount.

LiquidTension
March 25, 2010, 04:04 PM
I suppose so. That particular store has the state contract on Glocks and they provide them to individual officers at the same price as departments.

NG VI
March 25, 2010, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Well don't tell my local stores, I do enjoy being able to buy brand new Glocks for $398 with 3 mags.

Glock paid FAET on the pistol, your local store is just giving you their own LE discount.

Not true, it's actually a Glock promotional deal where people who are members of certain groups, like military personnel, cops of whatever sort, firefighters, EMTs, can get pistols at an extreme discount, and other than the subcompacts and compact 10mm and .45 pistols, they come with three magazines instead of two. Glock calls it the "Homeland Defender Package" or something similiar starting with "Homeland".

LiquidTension
March 25, 2010, 04:46 PM
Ah, mystery solved! Thanks for the info.

razorback2003
March 25, 2010, 05:09 PM
You may get discounts on guns at the gunshop...but that is about it.

Very few police depts hand out subguns and select fire AR's to rank and file police officers....that's mostly SWAT. Most of the trunk guns are semi auto AR's that anyone can buy at the gun store or a shotgun...again nothing special. The SWAT team's full auto guns are dept issued and owned by the dept. I am guessing most of the short barreled shotguns and rifles that PD's let police officers keep in their cars are also dept issue...not privately owned. I doubt many individual officers will go through the trouble of paying 200 bucks to privately own a short barrel shotgun or rifle for work...no way i'd leave my personal NFA gun in the trunk of a police car to be stolen either.

You'll have to pay 200 bucks to the ATF to buy a machine gun, short barrel rifle, short barrel shotgun, or 5 bucks for an any other weapon just like the rest of us. Thank you for serving the community as a police officer!

SharpsDressedMan
March 25, 2010, 05:22 PM
One very interesting thing you can buy is small, foreign auto pistols that do not pass the GCA-68 size ban. Originally, Walther PPK sized weapons, or smaller, were banned from import for general sales. Walther came up with the PPK/s to get around the ban (it was slightly larger than the PPK). LE officers can order and purchase any small automatic made overseas (like the little Glock .380, or cute little .22 Autos like the Walther TPH.) The TPH was made stateside for awhile in stainless, but many regard the German made blued one to be far superior. I believe LE's can also individually purchase some restricted import semi-auto rifles. A call to BATF might even find a list of such weapons that are legal for LE's to purchase. Automatic knives are another item that the feds have provisions for for LE's.

BullfrogKen
March 25, 2010, 05:43 PM
The only thing I'll add that hasn't been discussed here yet is that some officers who shot high volumes itemize and deduct the cost of ammunition on their taxes. Training can be argued as a work-related expense not reimbursed by your employer.

The IRS guidlines on training aren't specific enough to differentiate between recreational shooting and job-related training, so some consider all their shooting activites are related to maintaining their job-required shooting skills as an officer and deduct it.

archigos
March 25, 2010, 06:29 PM
If you were in NY, you could buy non-low-capacity magazines.

Hani Pasha
March 25, 2010, 11:44 PM
If you're in NJ, you may have an easier time to get an "assault weapons" license than the rest of us, but I don't remember the particulars of the law. Here's a link, if you're curious, to the NRA's page on NJ gun laws.

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/NJSL.pdf

Gunman21
March 27, 2010, 12:02 PM
Well that's not what I was hoping to hear but it is what I expected. Whats fair is fair even if I don't like it. I feel better knowing certain LEO's can't easily bring MGs to the range anyway. I knew I would be stepping in hot water by asking this question but I'm a strait forward guy and ask strait forward questions to get strait answers. Thank you to the folks who gave me that. By the way I only get half off at Subway, I'll have to make it up at Duncan and Krispy!

Coronach
March 28, 2010, 12:30 AM
I think this has been explained already, but be a police officer doesn't allow you to purchase anything that a normal citizen cannot purchase, unless your state has some restrictions that most other states don't have. It certainly won't allow you to purchase anything NFA. Your agency may well purchase a machine gun, SBR or SBS and assign it to you, but it belongs to them, not you. They can take it away at will, and when you quit, it goes back to their armory. No, there are no exceptions. The ATF has no sense of humor about such things.

You may be eligible for carry without a permit, depending on the specifics of the law in your state. I'm sure your department will train you about what you can and can't do in that regard. If they don't have a policy about you carrying concealed and it is never mentioned in training, I am 99.9999999999999999999999999% certain that you can't. So don't. Period.

You probably will be eligible for department or LE discounts on firearms and associated gear, but that will be up to the individual retailer. A word of advice? Don't be afraid to ask for discounts in areas where you should get a discount for your work. Lawn care suppliers offer discounts on seed and fertilizer to lawn care businesses. Home Depot offers discounts to contractors. This is no different. HOWEVER, don't be "that guy" asking for discounts at restaurants and other businesses. If you're offered a discount, be thankful and appreciative, but don't go trolling for free crap. If you go to a restaurant where cops "always" get a discount, have enough money to cover the full bill, and have some grace if you don't get "your" discount. Pay your bill, press on. Everyone else in the restaurant is paying the full tab, don't disgrace yourself, your agency, and the rest of us by asking for something for nothing. The local coffee shop never charges me for my nightly cup o' coffee, but you know? I always have a fiver in the back of my notepad wallet in case I am charged, and if I have spare cash I make sure I drop something in the tip jar...the baristas are working, too.

Be safe and do the right thing.

Mike

John Parker
March 28, 2010, 01:28 AM
By the way I only get half off at Subway

Better yet, why don't you keep track of all your 'savings' and contribute them to a charity?

twofifty
March 28, 2010, 01:35 AM
Spending on guns and gear will not make you a better LEO.
Spending your money on training and practice ammo will.

GRIZ22
March 28, 2010, 05:06 AM
My intuition tells me that only the department itself could buy weapons.

If we're talking NFA weapons you get no breaks over what everyone else has to do.

If you're in NJ, you may have an easier time to get an "assault weapons" license than the rest of us,

Assault Weapons Permits in NJ only exist as words written in the law. The process to get one is the same as a full auto weapon and you have to demonstrate to a judge how the public safety is served by you having one. NJ LEOs that are allowed to use personal long guns on the job just buy a civilian legal one as the gun would have to go when they left their job. They can possess magazines over 15 rds though.

You get no exemption on FET on firearms for individual purchase however the agency does.

Coronach is giving very good advice.

Grey_Mana
March 28, 2010, 07:46 AM
You can buy a copy of Windows Office Professional for just $10, for home use only on one computer. It is a deal Microsoft offers to all government employees, to try to enhance productivity of government employees.
http://www.microsoft.com/industry/government/licensing/homeuseoptions.mspx

Thanks for becoming a police officer. I pray you get more use out of Excel than you do out of your gun.

sniper5
March 28, 2010, 01:06 PM
FYI, you probably already know this but if you don't I'll say it here. The BATF extends NO professional courtesy to LEO's. I work with an ex-SO who's entire department almost got busted for a non registered MG they found in a storage locker. His girlfriend was the BATF agent and forced the entire department up to and including the sheriff to provide statements on their knowledge or lack thereof about how that MG was found in the locker with no paper trail. His question to her: "So, is there some kind of problem or something?" Her answer (as she's dialing the phone for her supervisor): "Yes, there is." Him: "But we're cops." Her: "That doesn't matter." His remark to me years after the fact: "They really don't have any sense of humor."

Coronach
March 28, 2010, 01:26 PM
...and they're really unimpressed that you have a badge and gun. They have them, too. Nobody cares.

Mike

GRIZ22
March 28, 2010, 02:32 PM
The BATF extends NO professional courtesy to LEO's.

Why should they in the incident you relate? A LE agency could have easily registered the gun for no cost. If you're an LEO you're not going to get any professional courtesy from any agency with anything involving a felony. I know someone will chime in with "Sheriff Bubba and his boys...." but 99.99999% of LEOs won't overlook a felony.

rscalzo
March 28, 2010, 02:45 PM
Sales to individual officers are not exempt from FAET

Exactly right. That applies to a departmental purchase only. Other than that some manufacturers offer discounts. Some discounts aren't worth the trouble. Glock prices for LE are now around $420 for the base model with three magazines.

WHAT LE restricted guns?
MA has restrictions of handguns limited to certain models. This does not apply to LE apparently.

I guess you can buy the Rock River Arms 14.5" SBR

They are not a SBR is the compensator is permanently attached and the OAL length equals or is greater than 16".

Coronach
March 28, 2010, 03:04 PM
The BATF extends NO professional courtesy to LEO's.Why should they in the incident you relate?I don't think he is saying that he thinks they should. I believe (the poster can correct me if I am wrong) that he is trying to make sure that the OP, or anyone else reading, is clear that they don't. There is a general perception among the gun-owning public that the cops are exempt from federal gun laws and that the ATF will just let them slide because hey, you know, we're all cops here. Yeah, not so much.

It's one thing to have accidentally (or not so accidentally) have assembled an "assault weapon" back when the the AWB was in effect, and that MIGHT have gotten you a "hey...dude? That's illegal ... yeah, seriously" if it showed up on the firing line with an ATF agent there. But screwing around with NFA stuff will not get you any courtesy, nor should it. Good for the goose, good for the gander.

(Well, ok, in this case "bad for the goose, bad for the gander", but you get my point)

Mike

sniper5
March 28, 2010, 04:56 PM
Coronach-

Exactly.

The ex-SO that I was referring to was taken aback that his girlfriend/BATF agent (since they were dating and all) didn't just say-"Weeeeellll! You're not supposed to have that. So just get destroy it and that way I won't have to do anything about it."

But he was surprised when she saw it and got real formal, real fast.

I have witnessed first hand that some cops will look the other way with other cops, and some won't. There are some I've run into in LE that seem surprised when their peers DON'T look the other way. Serpico should be a mandatory read for every academy.

NG VI
March 31, 2010, 03:41 AM
In the immortal words of Judge Schmails-

YOU'LL GET NOTHING AND LIKE IT!!!

Zach S
March 31, 2010, 09:33 AM
During the AWB, LEO mags and firearms were supposed to be purchased with a department letterhead (however a badge normally worked well enough at gunshows). I dont know if you have a AWB locally, if so, you may have to do the same thing.

If you live in a title II friendly state, but dont have a title II friendly CLEO, being a LEO may get a signature on the form 1 or form 4. If not, you'll have to form an LLC or living trust just like we do.

"Misplace" your driver's license. When you go to get a replacement, go on your way to or from work - in uniform, of course. This will get you out of minor traffic tickets without giving the impression that you expect a break due to being on the job. If you work at Sears, you get the discount...

The local coffee shop never charges me for my nightly cup o' coffee, but you know? I always have a fiver in the back of my notepad wallet in case I am charged, and if I have spare cash I make sure I drop something in the tip jar...the baristas are working, too.Several gas stations in my area offer free coffee to LEOs. Oddly enough, none of them have ever been robbed...

John Parker
March 31, 2010, 10:23 AM
Misplace" your driver's license. When you go to get a replacement, go on your way to or from work - in uniform, of course. This will get you out of minor traffic tickets without giving the impression that you expect a break due to being on the job.

OP: You're a cop. You should help set the standard, not bend it for personal gain. If you get a minor traffic ticket, you should pay it like everyone else. Everything you do reflects on your person, your department, and your community. Make your standards high and stick to them.

Zach S
April 1, 2010, 12:10 PM
Like I said, you work at Sears, you get the discount. You want the discount? Get the job.

You're a cop.
No I'm not. Never have been. Wouldn't consider it due to the 20k/year paycut.

rscalzo
April 1, 2010, 01:27 PM
If you're in NJ, you may have an easier time to get an "assault weapons" license than the rest of us, but I don't remember the particulars of the law.

Not really. The Chief LEO of the department can sign a waiver but the firearm cannot be retained upon leaving the department and must be purchased for use on the job. that means mandatory qualifications twice a year. Few departments actually will issue such a waiver. Same for hi-cap. They can be purchased only with a letter of exemption from the department and stating the specific magazines being purchased. While such magazines would be permitted for duty and off duty firearms, not departmentally approved firearms would not be permitted.

rscalzo
April 1, 2010, 01:30 PM
YOU'LL GET NOTHING AND LIKE IT!!!

A close friend of my family and next door neighbor was in that movie. He played Dr. Beeper.

Everything you do reflects on your person, your department, and your community. Make your standards high and stick to them.
I couldn't have phrased it better. That was something very close to a speech I gave new officers just walking in the door the first day.

John Parker
April 1, 2010, 02:03 PM
No I'm not. Never have been. Wouldn't consider it due to the 20k/year paycut.

Hey Zach, I was talking to the OP in reference to the advice that you wrote, I didn't mean to imply that you were in law enforcement. Edited above to be more clear.

Zach S
April 1, 2010, 09:56 PM
Okay. I didnt know if you were referring to me or the OP.

Without going too far off topic, I think we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Jim K
April 1, 2010, 11:08 PM
I had the same thought as Bigalexe. I think Gunman21 needs to consider his current situation both in his posts and in his "screen name." If his chief, commissioner, or a local politico should see one of "his" officers calling himself "gunman" and asking what machineguns he can buy, I think the young man's LE career could be over before it gets started.

Remember, posting on a web site like this is not like gabbing with your buddies in the rec room. It is like going on Larry King Live with a megaphone, or yelling from the steps of City Hall.

Jim

Coronach
April 2, 2010, 02:43 AM
"Misplace" your driver's license. When you go to get a replacement, go on your way to or from work - in uniform, of course.hahahahahahahahhhahahahahahha.

Yeah. Don't do this. It is a monumentally bad idea on so many different levels. First of all, your department will probably prohibit it. Second of all, your coworkers will mock you incessantly as soon as they find out you did it. Prepare to have the most-commonly-run license in the city as everyone wants to see what dork put himself in a uniform on his DL. Third of all, I would absolutely laugh in the face of somone who handed me a license with a picture of himself in a police uniform. And then I would call his PD to make sure he wasn't a faker. And make sure they knew precisely who I was calling about, and what he was doing. And then I would give him a ticket. Mostly for being an idiot. And, finally, there's the fact that you would be advertising to everyone who has occasion to look at your DL that you're a cop. Like, for instance, the guy who stole your wallet. Who now knows where you live. Or the guy robbing the restaurant and collecting wallets. Etc.

Bad idea.

Mike

CoRoMo
April 2, 2010, 02:49 PM
How much is the fine owed, when someone is ticketed for being an idiot.:p

rocky branch
April 3, 2010, 09:07 AM
Nothing better than a heavily armed "Class2 detention cop"
Unless it's bending laws.
Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

NG VI
April 3, 2010, 03:27 PM
Rscalzro that is fantastic. Love thast movie.

Coronach
April 3, 2010, 05:33 PM
How much is the fine owed, when someone is ticketed for being an idiot.I keeed! I keeeed! :D

DWI (Driving While an Idiot) is actually not in the criminal code. We just wish it was. Same as WWS (Walking While Stupid).

Mike

Bovice
April 3, 2010, 09:44 PM
Regarding posting on here:

It is like going on Larry King Live with a megaphone, or yelling from the steps of City Hall.

Not even close.

1. You're assuming someone cares enough about you to find a way to somehow link your THR name to your real identity.

2. You're assuming that what you're saying holds that much weight.

They'd have to do some pretty extensive searching online to find all this and pin it to you. It's like a tree that fell in the forest while no one was watching. They just don't care, unless they want that particular tree and are going to walk through the forest until they find it.

Take off your tinfoil hat.

GRIZ22
April 3, 2010, 10:27 PM
I've known police departments to ask applicants about facebook, myspace, forums, and other on line activities you partake in and ask for screen names. Don't put it down and they find out about they can fire you for falsifying your application.

I can't blame them for asking for it. It helps weed out the guy who wants to be a cop so he can "kick a___ and take names".

twofifty
April 3, 2010, 11:48 PM
I think our Class 2 Chief has lost some of his swagger: no gun discounts, no personal assault rifles, maybe not even some free meals.

That leaves the free coffee/donuts and the $10 software.
And maybe, just maybe, the in uniform drivers licence picture.
Life is good.

unreal45
April 4, 2010, 10:53 AM
In my experience, when working on a LEO budget, money is better spent on training and ammo.

IlikeSA
April 13, 2010, 11:16 AM
No comment on the new toys. The only benefit I got working as an officer was free range time at the local LE range and a box of ammo every few weeks.

Just a tip, make sure that while carrying on your badge you follow the regulations and policies of your department. My former department prohibited single action autos carried by officers both on and off duty. It also prohibited open carry out of uniform as well. No more open carry while hiking, no more comfortable open carry, etc. Sometimes, the trade-offs weren't worth it.

Wolfebyte
April 13, 2010, 02:03 PM
I love the comments about the Driver's License..

in 1986, a new Lt of the shift came in for briefing..

"Texas Commission of Law Enforcement Standards and Education Peace Officer Commission cards and driver's licenses on the table gentlemen.. "

The panicked look on the faces of the patrolmen as they begin to explain that they didn't carry their wallet on them.. their driver's license was in their personal vehicle, etc..

but on topic.. I'm in agreement with the majority here, as an LEO, there is not much "extra stuff" you can buy that a civilian can't. Your Department as a tax exempt entity CAN purchase items for you to use in the commission of your job.. but most likely those toys will remain with the Department.

Seattlefungus
April 13, 2010, 04:40 PM
Congratulations on your commissioning. After a 30 plus year career I can safely say that one of my past chief's favorite sayings has more truth today than ever before.. "Not more authority.. More responsablity"... Most departments are "Gun shy". Twenty plus years ago buying guns and ammo was cheap and easy for cops. Now many departments have much more restrictive personal carry restrictions than local legal requirements for common citizens. As a new officer I would advise caution in looking for deals until after probation is done. Find a responsible, level-headed fellow officer to do some brain picking. Maybe even mentoring.. They should have at least ten years experience and time in different department experiences. FTO, Training, Investigations.. You will hear a lot of bad info which can get you in a lot of trouble from uniformed street lawyers... If your department has a written manual, read it.. If it's in writing, you can believe each rule has an officers name attached to it.. I've seen cop's driven off the job because of text messages on cel phones, Facebook pages in uniform or alcohol, or guns being displayed.. My department has a probation even asking for "Police Discounts" and may be subject to suspension of up to 30 days...
~An old Arab proverb. "May you live in interesting times"

texas bulldog
April 13, 2010, 05:21 PM
...you should probably learn the gun laws as they apply to your jurisdiction.

Then you'd know that being a LEO doesn't allow you to personally buy anything that you couldn't already.

If you enjoyed reading about "Now that im a Police Officer, what can I buy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!