Ruger Single Six .17 hmr

PDA

zeekmeister
March 25, 2010, 12:29 PM
I just purchased this cowboy gun and i have a few questions . What kind of ammo do you use ? what is the average distance you shoot with open sights? and if you have a scope what distance ? and is yours really loud?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Single Six .17 hmr" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dain Bramage
March 25, 2010, 01:18 PM
Do you have the .17 HM2 cylinder? I think that would be my plinking and practice round, unless you're going for range or zapping a bigger critter.

zeekmeister
March 25, 2010, 11:02 PM
no I dont have the mach 2 cylinder.. humm maybe a call to ruger might cure that . but then i would have to send it in right?

BlkHawk73
March 26, 2010, 09:09 PM
The .17 M2 cylinders were only made for a small number of very early models - the .17 Hunters. None are produced and/or fitted by Ruger any longer. There is an aftermarket one available but to be sure it should be checked for correct timing.
Nothing .17 caliber = "cowboy gun" regardless of the platform. :roll:

rha600
March 26, 2010, 09:11 PM
not sure what you mean by "what kind of ammo". do you mean brand? Try CCI, Hornady and Remington. My rifle loves CCI and isn't so much loving anything else.

and yes, the 17HMR is loud. after all it IS a magnum round.

zeekmeister
March 27, 2010, 01:49 PM
thanks for the info . if i couldnt get a m2 cylinder fitted buy ruger then i wouldnt bother. and i still like to think of it as a "MODERN cowboy gun"

MatthewVanitas
May 18, 2010, 03:06 PM
Minor thread necro: does anyone know why Ruger stopped making .17 HM2 cylinders?

I realise that there's minimal advantage to HM2, but it's not like HMR is much faster out of a short barrel, right? At least HM2 is less expensive and should have less muzzle blast, right?

ghitch75
May 18, 2010, 03:30 PM
Brownell's has 17hm2 cylinder for your single six..http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=46030/pid=20940/sku/_17_Mach_2_Single_Six_Cylinder

you have to do a little fitting to get it to go....i have 1 for mine.....longest shot i'v made with mine was at a crow 80y away with the hmr....he didn't know what happen:eek:

mines a 6 3/4" barrel

Gordon
May 18, 2010, 07:23 PM
Yeah I shoot my Hunter 17 alot! It has a scope on it but I only shoot about 200 feet max with it . It blows up stuff under 20 pounds at that range. I did shoot a 50+ pound dog with it at about 50 yards and it put it down DRN I would imagine 50 yards would be it for the open sights, well within the effective range of maybe 100 yards.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Single Six .17 hmr" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!