anyone used this scope before? pros? cons?

PDA

noob_shooter
March 25, 2010, 04:31 PM
Bushnell Banner Rifle Scope 4-16x 40mm Red and Green Illuminated T Dot Reticle Matte

seems okay for the price. i'm just looking for a scope under $140..

If you enjoyed reading about "anyone used this scope before? pros? cons?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Geno
March 25, 2010, 04:40 PM
Wow! You MidwayUSA employees are finding all sort of clever ways to advertise huh? :D

Nope, haven't used it. :o

Ya know, in all fairness, you really should add :neener:

Mention this thread for 5% discount or free shipping

Geno :evil:

noob_shooter
March 25, 2010, 04:48 PM
i wasn't advertising.. but i will edit it.. hahaha

redneck2
March 25, 2010, 05:41 PM
FWIW...I'd take a look at the new Redfield that just came out.

Also, I've got a newer Weaver on my Contender pistol. It's really nice for the money. I'd actually take it over a Burris or Leupold.

jimmyraythomason
March 25, 2010, 05:45 PM
I have one and I like it very much. Battery life isn't great though.

kenno
March 25, 2010, 05:47 PM
Bushnell comes from China. Redfield is made in the Leupold plant in Portland, OR

jimmyraythomason
March 25, 2010, 05:52 PM
Bushnell comes from China. Don't care where it's made as long as it works.

noob_shooter
March 25, 2010, 10:01 PM
Don't care where it's made as long as it works.

true true..

thanks..

R.W.Dale
March 25, 2010, 10:06 PM
The scope in question aside from sub par commie optics have two very noteworthy and in my experience bad characteristics.

1. It's psychically HUGE

2.and is extremely heavy

to put things in perspective here is a pic of a 20" ar15 with the non illuminated version of this optic. As you can seen not only is it enormous but it's obesity completely destroyed the rifles balance and pointability. I hated the thing on my gun and within a week replaced it with a 2x7x33 leupold

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/krochus/21e802b5.jpg

jimmyraythomason
March 25, 2010, 10:25 PM
sub par commie optics well at least you gave it a non-biased trial without predetermined expectations.

R.W.Dale
March 25, 2010, 10:32 PM
well at least you gave it a non-biased trial without predetermined expectations.
You didn't have to look through it I did. This will be the last Chinese scope I get seduced into purchasing. In fact I bought the thing under the assumption that the Banner line was still made in Korea

jimmyraythomason
March 25, 2010, 10:35 PM
You didn't have to look through it I did. True but I have one almost just like it that I have looked through and I agree that it is large.

R.W.Dale
March 25, 2010, 10:38 PM
don't get me wrong I'm not even gonna to pretend to be all "America &^$* Yeah!" when it comes to optics. But rather I'm just really really down on the examples leaving the PRC, other countries from this part of the world can and do make high quality optics

Uncle Mike
March 25, 2010, 11:39 PM
Redfield is made in the Leupold plant in Portland, OR

You recun' they use 100% American made parts in those Oregon made Redfields?

...or you tink they might slip in a commie C part from time to time?

In the last 'Retailers Magazine', the interview went like....we make them here in the USA from all USA made parts....hmmmm! Somebody forgot to mention that to the shot show staff at the Leo booth!

EdLaver
March 26, 2010, 10:05 AM
I have the banner dusk/dawn 3-9 with illuminated red/green reticle on my Sig 522. The glass is clear and sharp, scope holds zero, I like the red illumination, not too big on the green. I think its a good buy, never had any complaints about it. At one point I had it on my 700 VTR in .308 and again, it held zero and never gave me any problems.

I upgraded the scope on my VTR to a higher power and thats the reason the Bushnell rests on the Sig now.

rangerruck
March 26, 2010, 10:34 AM
the banner line dusk/dawn was once a pretty good scope. I agree if you can find a korean version, those were very good. I had one of the current ones, before they went retail, a 3x9 dusk/dawn version. It worked well, and was clear, but even for a 3x9, it was big and heavy...

jimmyraythomason
March 26, 2010, 10:46 AM
My Dusk/Dawn is Chinese and clear.

R.W.Dale
March 26, 2010, 11:03 AM
My Dusk/Dawn is Chinese and clear.
what's your standard of comparison?

I'm not picking on you here so please don't take me wrong. But I find that most of the proponents of Chinese optics who claim great clarity have no experience with scopes that DO offer superb clarity and focus.

In every last chinese scope I've ended up using, and that's a lot because I get a lot of guns with em without exception they're dim, poorly focused even on AO models and the parallax seems to be set at 5 yds for Non AO models.

My advice is to skip the Banner and buy a 3x9x40 Sightron s1 (japan) which is optically superior in all respects and costs less to boot. In fact I find I can see more through a quality 9x scope than I can a china special on 16x particularly bullet holes at 100

jimmyraythomason
March 26, 2010, 11:10 AM
superb clarity and focus.

That's NOT what I said,I said it was clear meaning no distortion or hazing. I use Leupold and Nikon as well and they are my source of comparison. proponents of Chinese optics Not me nor am I one to promote ANYTHING Chinese made,but if I have one and it works well,I say so.

shootr
March 26, 2010, 11:24 AM
+1 on the new Redfield - or a used Redfield for that matter.

FWIW - I DO care where products are made and will avoid China whenever there's an option.

WRT optics, I've used Chinese-made optics and mostly, have had all bad luck with the exception of a Cabelas Pine Ridge 3x9 that was part of a package on a on a 10/22.

I'll use it until it fails, then replace it with Leupy / Redfield or something Japanese.

Just sayin...

Maverick223
March 26, 2010, 12:15 PM
I really like most Bushnell rifle scopes...but last I looked at a Banner (don't own one) I couldn't tell any difference from my Sportview (though it is an older Korean model IIRC), and the Banner may have been a little worse. Personally I would step up to the Trophy series or better, unless I got a smokin' deal on the Banner.

:)

Mr. T
March 27, 2010, 02:08 AM
I've had good luck with Bushnells in the past, but I really am going to start buying American where ever I can, considering performance and quality are roughly equivalent. I think it's the quickest way we can get our fellow country men and women back to work and turn our economy around. Just my humble opinion. :)

shootr
March 27, 2010, 09:24 PM
Yep... What Mr. T said!

JDGray
March 27, 2010, 09:31 PM
Bushnell comes from China.

Thats funny, both my Bushnell scopes say Japan on the bottom.

R.W.Dale
March 27, 2010, 11:07 PM
Thats funny, both my Bushnell scopes say Japan on the bottom.
How old are they?

Are they banners?

Ever hear the Tracy Lawrence song "Time Marches On"
?

elmerfudd
March 28, 2010, 02:47 AM
As you can seen not only is it enormous but it's obesity completely destroyed the rifles balance and pointability. I hated the thing on my gun and within a week replaced it with a 2x7x33 leupold

What do you expect from a 4-16x40AO? That's not a Chinese optics problem. It's a big, high power scope problem.

FWIW, I have a couple of 4-16x Chinese scopes and a 2-7x33 Leupold as well. They're just totally different animals. That big Chinese scope works great on a bench rested rimfire, but it's not what I'd want on a lightweight hunting rifle.

JDGray
March 28, 2010, 01:54 PM
How old are they?

Are they banners?

Both are 3200s, less then 2 yrs old;)

R.W.Dale
March 28, 2010, 02:02 PM
Both are 3200s, less then 2 yrs old;)

so they are not the scope in question at all then are they?

What do you expect from a 4-16x40AO? That's not a Chinese optics problem. It's a big, high power scope problem.

Did I say the weight was a Chinese problem? No I did not! I said the sub par optics was.

The op asked about this particular scope and I gave my opinion of it nowhere did I say other scopes of this magnification aren't large. Although since we're on the subject IME they are indeed somewhat more bulky than other scopes of this magnification range and certainly a heavier.

JDGray
March 28, 2010, 02:13 PM
Just responding to the post saying bushnell is made in china, as in all bushnells:scrutiny:

JR47
March 28, 2010, 02:36 PM
There aren't many lower-priced scopes in the 4-16x40 or 50 that aren't large. As far as Chinese optics go, you ever hear of GIGO? The scopes are made to specs provided by the buyer. Blame them, not the manufacturer.

The PLA enjoys fine optical products, easily on a par with anything US made. They could do the same for any brand, from NCstar on up. The only catch would be the price point. Cheap labor isn't the biggest part of optics, the materials are.

I also would like to remind the Redfield supporters that the last several years of Redfield production were absolutely horrible. They were losing ground rapidly in QC and production capability.

For that matter, I'm old enough to remember the similar horror stories coming out of Japan, Korea, and Taiwan when they began manufacturing optics.

Perhaps everyone should remember that Tracey Lawrence song.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "anyone used this scope before? pros? cons?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!