An Idaho off-duty deputy shot and killed a dog. do you think it was in SD?

PDA

Skillet
March 25, 2010, 04:37 PM
http://www.ktvb.com/home/Dog-shot-Monday-night-in-Meridian-88980877.html

http://www.ktvb.com/home/Attorney-Deputy-shot-dog-in-self-defense-89087637.html

I live in the adjacent city, Nampa, and have heard alot about this in the past few days.

do you think the shooting was truly in self defense? I mean by the book it was, but do you think he was using poor judgement? I think he was. And what would you do if you were CCing or OCing in that situation?

If you enjoyed reading about "An Idaho off-duty deputy shot and killed a dog. do you think it was in SD?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Officers'Wife
March 25, 2010, 04:46 PM
Since the paper did not identify the shooter's state of mind it's impossible to make a value judgment other than he was either in the wrong or in the right. This is one for Saint Peter to judge.

kingpin008
March 25, 2010, 04:48 PM
From the articles, it seems that the dog was off it's property without a leash, approaching (very possibly in an aggressive manner) an individual who was not familiar with the animal.

If it were me, I very well might have shot too. Animals don't respond to verbal threats like humans do, and animal attacks are just as dangerous. Self defense seems entirelt reasonable in this case, with the details given.

I guess if nothing else this situation is a perfect reminder to pet owners why it's crucial to always keep your animal controlled, whether that means on a leash or simply trained to stay on it's own property.

Larry Ashcraft
March 25, 2010, 04:52 PM
Hmmm... We have:

1. LEO possibly using poor judgement, and;

2. A dog getting shot (presumably by said LEO).

Recipe for disaster.

Closed.

If you enjoyed reading about "An Idaho off-duty deputy shot and killed a dog. do you think it was in SD?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!