Marlin Factory in North Haven to close in 2011

PDA

Smitty in CT
March 25, 2010, 11:14 PM
Just saw on the news that the Marlin Factory will close down by 2011

Didn't see all the details....

So much for Remington "leaving them alone...."

I'm sure there'll be lots more to come.....

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin Factory in North Haven to close in 2011" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Smitty in CT
March 25, 2010, 11:19 PM
http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/business/north-haven-marlin-firearms-plant

ArmedBear
March 25, 2010, 11:21 PM
Damn. No more Marlins.

I might have to buy some more before they shut down.

And no, I am not interested in anything coming out of the Remington plant.

R.W.Dale
March 25, 2010, 11:23 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=513850

dupe

production will be moved to a facility in NC

BTW if you attempt to discuss why this thread will become locked. Because you know politics have absolutely nothing to do with firearms, business or the state of the American economy as a whole.

wrs840
March 25, 2010, 11:35 PM
BTW if you attempt to discuss why this thread will become locked. Because you know politics have absolutely nothing to do with firearms, business or the state of the American economy as a whole.

Darn tootin'!

I love Marlin. I love CT. I love NC. There's nothing concerning this story that's anything but sunshine and lollipops.

What could possibly go wrong?

Les

Uncle Mike
March 25, 2010, 11:46 PM
You thought Cerberus, AKA the Freedom Group was as wholesome as mommas apple pie?

Hey, Satan was the most beautiful angle in heaven also....

hogshead
March 26, 2010, 12:03 AM
Well I guess the marlin will become the win of a couple a years ago .Buyem now while they are cheap .

Uncle Mike
March 26, 2010, 12:20 AM
Are they saying that they are going to discontinue the Marlin line, or just move the operation south?

hogshead
March 26, 2010, 12:24 AM
How far south?

Uncle Mike
March 26, 2010, 12:42 AM
The rumor has it to be moved to North Carolina...???

DIM
March 26, 2010, 12:46 AM
Mexico perhaps, where unions not so much demanding, its called globalization of the economy :evil:

Abel
March 26, 2010, 06:01 AM
No, don't speak about unions & why Marlin made this move or the Moderators will shut it down. :rolleyes:

rogertc1
March 26, 2010, 06:27 AM
Cerberus Capital Management makes their move. It was just a matter of time.

https://myth-wiki-ology.wikispaces.com/file/view/Cerberus.jpg/33369515/Cerberus.jpg

TexasRifleman
March 26, 2010, 09:48 AM
No, don't speak about unions & why Marlin made this move or the Moderators will shut it down.

Maybe that's because no one really knows for sure what REALLY happened yet?

Here's what Remington had to say about it:

Officials at Marlin and the company's owner, Remington Arms Co. Inc. of Madison, N.C., didn't immediately return phone messages Friday morning.

22-rimfire
March 26, 2010, 09:53 AM
Not much reason to even have the thread if you can't discuss or postulate the reasons.

I have been expecting some changes since Remington bought them out.

DIM
March 26, 2010, 10:28 AM
Remington would probably come up with "New" model 7XX with lever action ;)

oneounceload
March 26, 2010, 11:43 AM
Or maybe it's just a way to get them a new modern plant with better equipment in a locale with lower taxes, in a state with a better economy.......

Maverick223
March 26, 2010, 11:58 AM
I'll be sure and personally visit the plant to make sure everything is running smoothly. ;) Not sure what to think of it yet...I like the idea of operations moving down here (undoubtedly because of the general lack of a union workforce = cheaper), but not sure how Cerberus plans to flub it up. :confused:

MAKster
March 26, 2010, 12:47 PM
Marlins aren't disappearing. Remington is just going to build Marlins are another Remington owned plant that has excess capacity. I believe they already closed the factory that was making the NEF models.

SHOOOTER1
March 26, 2010, 12:53 PM
Why not boycott smith & wesson for giving in to the clinton gun deal when remington & all others didn't. Oops we forgot about that!!!

SharpsDressedMan
March 26, 2010, 02:10 PM
How many members does THR have? If we all chipped in $100-$1000, could we buy it from Remington?

earlthegoat2
March 26, 2010, 02:14 PM
"We had a meeting at 3:30pm. They gonna phase us out," said one employee who has worked at Marlin for 19 years.

Hmmmmm?

TexasRifleman
March 26, 2010, 02:16 PM
You thought Cerberus, AKA the Freedom Group was as wholesome as mommas apple pie?

Hey, Satan was the most beautiful angle in heaven also....

How exactly is it Satanic to try to control costs in your business by moving from one US state to another?

Maybe I'm missing something.

And, I haven't read anything about the State of Connecticut making any counter offers to keep the jobs there, have you? Tax incentives, etc? No? Why not? You would think the state would want to keep those jobs there..... or maybe since it's a gun company the state could care less? Lots of unknown stuff here to start accusing people of the Devil's work.

earlthegoat2
March 26, 2010, 02:19 PM
Everyone is hyper sensitive about anyone losing their jobs these days.

You know what, someone else is going to be employed just like the Marlin workers are going to be unemployed. After 4 years of unemployment and underemployment I would be glad to take their jobs.

DIM
March 26, 2010, 05:22 PM
Look at TC when the S&W bought them last year, TC still producing their rifles, the ICON line, the Contender, Encore. Well they did add low line called Venture, plus few new calibers for their actions, but everything else seems the same.

wishin
March 26, 2010, 05:26 PM
How many members does THR have? If we all chipped in $100-$1000, could we buy it from Remington?
Count me in - I want a job testing their guns here in GA, part-time.:D

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
March 26, 2010, 05:39 PM
Why WOULDN'T we want jobs to go to pretty much ANY state that is more gun-friendly than Conn? The less tax base and thus power that that state has (particularly that power derived from an industry built on money from US - as in you and me - gun buyers) is that much less control that they have over the debate. I say screw 'em - all gun-related companies should refuse any longer to contribute to the tax base of NY, NJ, CT, IL, CA, or MD voluntarily...that's just feeding the beast that is after you. I despise having one of these states' names stamped on my firearms because I know that MY money went in part to subsidize a state government which is extremely hostile to my rights and the rights of their citizens in those states - with said hostility to freedoms and the resulting laws being spread like a cancer across the nation.

No reason why the new plant can't build guns to the exact same specs with the exact same materials than the old plant, just at a lower cost due to labor and other business-friendly laws in NC or elsewhere.

wrs840
March 26, 2010, 05:43 PM

No. I honestly didn't even know who they were until I googled.

I was attempting to be humorous about the fate of the first Marlin to Close Doors... thread. ...Poor attempt, apparently.

Les

SN13
March 26, 2010, 05:54 PM
Dang. Good thing I boycott Remington Firearms anyway.

rogertc1
March 26, 2010, 06:03 PM
Just so sad to see people out of work after spending much of their life building Marlins...so blame Cerberus Capital Management

Kentucky_Rifleman
March 26, 2010, 06:22 PM
Why WOULDN'T we want jobs to go to pretty much ANY state that is more gun-friendly than Conn?

First, let me observe that the moderators will shut down this thread if the discussion becomes political, just as they closed the last one, so let's skirt the issue of Connecticut's politics for a moment, and think instead of larger scale state vs. state politics.

There is likely a complex collection of reasons to move the plant to NC, IF, indeed that's where it's going.

That said, today is a manufacturer's marketplace in terms of labor. So many states are suffering terrible unemployment, that if a manufacturing company wants to set up shop, they will likely have several states competing for the facility to be built in their state. The logical choice of location would be with the rest of Remington's domestic production, allowing consolidation of shipping, materials handling, labor, and the ever-costly management that comes with manufacturing.

I believe individual state's politics may come ever more into play in terms of manufacturing and other private industry jobs available within any given state. I know that if I were setting up a factory to make motorcycles, and Kentucky (where I live) were, for political reasons, incredibly hostile to the motorcycle industry, I'd take my factory, my jobs, and my money to a place friendlier to my particular industry.

If production is the key to economic recovery, and I believe it is, then we may see several states moderate their politics on several levels to make them more industry-friendly in the hopes of attracting jobs. I hope this is the case anyway.

As far as taking those jobs out of the U.S., I doubt that's a viable option for most of our domestic gunmakers. I can see where it might be incredibly difficult to establish arms factories in other countries, especially countries who already have active arms makers and export their products to the U.S.

Also, the backlash from the shooting public - in my experience a DEEPLY patriotic bunch :) - would likely be severe. Consider the case of Marble's knives. Marble's always built their marketing on their being an American institution. Then, the new owners/managers took production overseas to make use of cheaper labor, and Marble's knives bankrupted shortly thereafter. I know the company had financial difficulties before the move, but I believe buying a foreign-made Marble's knife just gave a lot of us heartburn. I know it did me, so I didn't buy them.

Just my thoughts,
KR

Kentucky_Rifleman
March 26, 2010, 06:29 PM
Oh, and since we're on the subject of arms makers moving, what caused Ruger to leave Connecticut several years ago?

KR

Baldeagle
March 26, 2010, 07:39 PM
I dropped a rifle(marlin) off at the gunsmiths today, he asked me if I had heard anything of marlin stopping production on 9 different models of firearms. Of course I said no, He said that he talked with a friend of his yesterday whom works at marlin inwhich told him of this... Anyone here heard of such ? I'm hoping that with his age and loss of hearing that he totally misunderstood his friend.

Kentucky_Rifleman
March 26, 2010, 07:45 PM
he asked me if I had heard anything of marlin stopping production on 9 different models of firearms. ... I'm hoping that with his age and loss of hearing that he totally misunderstood his friend.

I hadn't considered this, but if Marlin is to be moved into the main Remington manufacturing facility, Marlin's line of bolt action rifles might become redundant.

Or, as with Savage / Stevens, the Marlin Bolt actions might become the lower-end rifles, while Remington keeps the venerable 700 series as the premium line.

The upshot here could be the death of the ghastly 770 line. :barf:

KR

Kentucky_Rifleman
March 26, 2010, 08:02 PM
Here's the latest from AP. I also couldn't help reading how Remington closed their Mass. facility some time back. Maybe Freedomgroup or Remington or whoever the hell is behind the wheel is making a financial decision AND a political statement? I'd like them better if they did. :evil:

KR

Marlin Firearms to close next year

(AP) 4 hours ago NORTH HAVEN, Conn. Marlin Firearms Co., a 140-year-old company which made a gun that was a favorite of Annie Oakley, is closing its Connecticut plant, company officials said Friday. Workers at the plant in North Haven say they've been told all 265 employees will lose their jobs. Jessica Kallam, a spokeswoman with Madison, N.C.'s Remington Arms Co. Inc., which owns Marlin, said the Connecticut plant will close by June 2011 and employees would be offered severance and help finding jobs. She said Marlin is relocating its manufacturing operations to an undetermined site. Kallam could not confirm if all employees in Connecticut are losing their jobs. She read a company statement that says Freedom Group, which owns Remington, must reduce its costs to remain competitive. "Although long term prospects of the business look positive, economic factors beyond Freedom Group's control related to increasing costs and pricing pressures within the firearms industry are impacting the entire Freedom Group of companies," the statement said. Remington Arms bought Marlin for nearly $42 million in 2007. Marlin's Web site says John Marlin opened the company in 1870 in New Haven after having worked at the Colt plant in Hartford during the Civil War. The company says its lever action 22 repeater was a favorite gun of Annie Oakley.
Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

R.W.Dale
March 26, 2010, 08:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvFhYB1OBck&feature=player_embedded

more^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Maverick223
March 26, 2010, 08:53 PM
On one hand I want to get a Marlin (1895SBL in particular, and possibly a XL-7 or XS-7 as well) pretty quick because I don't know how quality will be affected; but on the other hand quality may improve and it would be nifty to have a rifle made in my home state.

:)

R.W.Dale
March 26, 2010, 08:55 PM
On one hand I want to get a Marlin (1895SBL in particular, and possibly a XL-7 or XS-7 as well) pretty quick because I don't know how quality will be affected; but on the other hand quality may improve and it would be nifty to have a rifle made in my home state.

It's very very possible, especially if the new facility has more modern equipment

Maverick223
March 26, 2010, 08:57 PM
It's very very possible, especially if the new facility has more modern equipmentAbsolutely, Winchester is a model for innovation and improvement...but you never can tell what a three headed dog is looking at. ;)

R.W.Dale
March 26, 2010, 09:03 PM
Absolutely, Winchester is a model for innovation and improvement...but you never can tell what a three headed dog is looking at. ;)
Cerberus in Greek and Roman mythology, is a multi-headed hound which stands guard at the gates of Hades charged with preventing those who have crossed the river Styx from ever escaping.

paintballdude902
March 26, 2010, 09:08 PM
theyre more than welcome here in nc. boat building is down furniture making was mostly shipped to asia so we could use the jobs. too bad people have to lose jobs though

Mauserguy
March 26, 2010, 09:09 PM
There's nothing wrong with a company seeking manufacturing efficiencies and retiring unused capacity, but I just hope that Marlin doesn't lose it's traditions and customer focus.

I love the Marlin lever rifles. I certainly hope that they don't drop the lever guns to build more AR-15s or something, believing that that market that isn't saturated. Marlin has a great niche, an American made, forged lever gun. Nobody out there does that.
Mauserguy

DPris
March 27, 2010, 02:33 AM
Dunno where the North Carolina part came from, no end destination has been announced or confirmed yet.
Denis

LemmyCaution
March 27, 2010, 08:26 AM
Cerberus has a long history of acquiring struggling companies, stripping them of anything they can for short term shareholder profit, and unceremoniously dumping the remains. If I owned a firearm made by a Cerberus held company, I'd be concerned about my warranty- if I couldn't repair the gun myself with the surplus parts that will doubtless wind up at Numrich when the company's holdings get liquidated.

But that's cool. That's how capitalism works.

TexasRifleman
March 27, 2010, 09:49 AM
Cerberus has a long history of acquiring struggling companies, stripping them of anything they can for short term shareholder profit, and unceremoniously dumping the remains.

What gun company have they done that to? So far all it seems like they do with firearm companies is buy:

Bushmaster: 2006
Cobb: 2007
Remington: 2007
DPMS: 2007
Marlin: 2008
AAC: 2009

So far they haven't sold any firearm holdings. And as for the multi headed dog thing, one executive is on record as saying "sounded like a good idea at the time but we kind of regret it now".

Just some guys making money. If Marlin makes money they will survive I suspect, if not, they will close.

Guess I don't see the point of boycotting Remington either.

52grain
March 27, 2010, 09:50 AM
Cerberus has a long history of acquiring struggling companies, stripping them of anything they can for short term shareholder profit, and unceremoniously dumping the remains. If I owned a firearm made by a Cerberus held company, I'd be concerned about my warranty- if I couldn't repair the gun myself with the surplus parts that will doubtless wind up at Numrich when the company's holdings get liquidated.

Chrysler comes to mind...

3030tank
March 27, 2010, 10:29 AM
"Why WOULDN'T we want jobs to go to pretty much ANY state that is more gun-friendly than Conn? The less tax base and thus power that that state has (particularly that power derived from an industry built on money from US - as in you and me - gun buyers) is that much less control that they have over the debate. I say screw 'em - all gun-related companies should refuse any longer to contribute to the tax base of NY, NJ, CT, IL, CA, or MD voluntarily...that's just feeding the beast that is after you. I despise having one of these states' names stamped on my firearms because I know that MY money went in part to subsidize a state government which is extremely hostile to my rights and the rights of their citizens in those states - with said hostility to freedoms and the resulting laws being spread like a cancer across the nation."

amen sir

jmortimer
March 27, 2010, 12:08 PM
It is a joke that we can't discuss the real reasons a company would move from Connecticut to North Carolina. Way too P.C. here. This thread is on all the sites I read and the discussion is one of reality not P.C. cry baby "you can't say that" because that is the truth. The other threads are interesting and "real." This place needs to loosen up a bit as we all know why Marlin is moving but let's just play pretend.

ArfinGreebly
March 29, 2010, 03:26 AM
Having taken the time to scan a number of stories on this, it looks pretty much like a matter of logistics.

Yes, CT doesn't seem to be able to manage its revenues and keep things attractive to businesses and, yes, CT has people in its administration who are generally hostile to firearms, but by whatever means, they've created an environment where a company like Marlin will want to look for greener grass if it is to remain profitable.

Some of you will remember Buck Knives' move from El Cajon (near San Diego) to Post Falls, Idaho. That was something that took long-term planning, starting sometime in 2000, and finally executing in 2004, with first new (Idaho) production in 2005.

They saved a ton of money in operating expenses by moving to the Northwest. They are now back on their feet and as competitive as ever.

Closing down a plant operation with serious roots, in order to save the business, is not a trivial thing.

They asked Connecticut for some breaks and incentives to make it possible to stay, and the state shined them on. Now, of course, the state is "shocked" that Marlin is leaving, and is "taking action" to try to keep them there.

I don't think that will fly, any more than San Diego's efforts to hang onto Buck Knives did.

The Buck Knives move is pretty well covered in news stories, business trade journals and such, and a Google will turn up plenty. A quick read through those reports will give you an idea of what can be accomplished.

I just hope that, whatever they do, they do as well as Buck did.

I'm not done buying Marlins. I need at least one more. Well, maybe two.

Personally, I'd be tickled if they relocated west. I can get from my house to Buck's factory in under 15 minutes. Shucks, it would be awesome to have Marlin anywhere within an hour of here. Heck, I'll bet even Montana would make them welcome. Of course, there's always Tennessee, with its business-friendly environment, but I ain't drivin' to TN for a rifle.

Chin up, guys. It's only a question of which candidate venue can make them the best offer. And you may be sure there are states and cities that would cut them a sweet deal.

There will continue to be Marlin rifles.

And, if you buy their current inventory, they won't have the cost of moving it.

ForneyRider
March 29, 2010, 02:57 PM
more 1894FG's please.

millertyme
March 29, 2010, 03:18 PM
Yeah, I guess all the other companies they purchased seem to do pretty well. I would like to get a couple CT Marlins before everything is moved to NC if only to secure one that you know is decent. Hopefully they don't just relabel the 770's in a Marlin box and pass them off as the budget-minded Remington. I'll buy a Stevens if it came to that.

RSVP2RIP
March 29, 2010, 05:32 PM

If we bought more Marlins, they would be building another plant, not shutting one down. We all vote with our dollars, they obviously lost the election. Maybe they would not move if they made an AR-15 like everyone else? If you thought M4 rather than levergun when you heard Marlin, things might be different. I always thought that if they *really* catered to the Cowboy action crowd by making the guns they used to, like the Ballard No. 5 Pacific and the 1887 Double Action Revolver, or an 1895 without the saftey, drilled and tapped reciever, or the stupid warning on the barrel they would be a hot item. Bottom line is they didn't evolve to the changing American market.

winchester '97
March 30, 2010, 12:12 AM
wow people overreact so badly, they are just moving, im guessing because it will be cheaper to produce guns in the south than in new england. And considering these will be the same guns produced on the same machinery in an environment that is more business friendly and thus cheaper, i imagine the gun prices will stay the same if they dont come down some once the factory is up and running.

Art Eatman
March 30, 2010, 09:16 AM
New England has a long history of pricing itself out of marketplace competition. Cotton fabric, tool and die, shoes, now guns...

grimjaw
March 30, 2010, 09:29 AM
What Art said. Giving cost of living in CT, I'm surprised anyone can manufacture anything there and compete on price.

At least in Marlin's case they haven't (up to this point) changed their lever guns so much that they've turned off the market, like the post-'64 Winchesters which were supposedly updated in part to maintain profitability. As much as I hate to say it, though, it would not surprise me if we hear that they're going to drop one or more Marlin lines after the move.

jm

Smitty in CT
March 30, 2010, 09:43 AM
...they are just moving, im guessing because it will be cheaper to produce guns in the south than in new england. And considering these will be the same guns produced on the same machinery in an environment that is more business friendly and thus cheaper, i imagine the gun prices will stay the same if they dont come down some once the factory is up and running.Do you have any references to back up this claim??

NOBODY from the North Haven plant has been offered any sort of "relocation" package...

My fear is that Remington will do with Marlin what FN did with Winchester (USRAC), move oprations and then keep the name, FN didn't take any of the tooling when they shut USRAC down... Yes, they are making the Model 70 again but it's a model 70 in name only.... The 1300 pump is imported from Turkey... FN announced announced at SHOT show this year that they were bringing back the Winchester model '94 as a "limited production" gun, but it didn't say where they would be made, my guess is Japan...

I hope I'm wrong, I hope that Remington continues making Marlins, but, based on recent business decissions by Remington, I'm not optimistic.

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin Factory in North Haven to close in 2011" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!