my wife doesnt know

PDA

gb0399
March 26, 2010, 07:58 PM
Lets say you just got handed 700.00, you didnt expect it and you dont need it for some thing else. AND your wife doesnt know about it... what gun(s) do you buy?

Option A: M1 Carbine
Option B: Enfield MK4 NO1 AND M44
Option C: ??

If you enjoyed reading about "my wife doesnt know" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gb0399
March 26, 2010, 08:03 PM
PSL-54 (draganov)? (750.00ish)
LMT 10.5 upper and tax stamp?

Bear 45/70
March 26, 2010, 08:07 PM
First it would depend it it was my turn or her turn. If it was her turn, the I hand the money to her. If it's my turn I buy whatever I find that suits me at the time.

Kentucky_Rifleman
March 26, 2010, 08:08 PM
Aw C'mon... You don't have to tell her, and God knows my wife wouldn't notice if I added 5 new guns to my collection, but you should do something nice for her... You know you want to :) If you did something really nice, she probably wouldn't complain about the new gun if you told her...

I'm thinking dinner out, a nice date, taking her to her favorite place and giving her at least a chunk of your windfall. My wife would split it with me, and I'd do the same for her, but maybe I got an exceptionally good wife ;)

KR

KR

ADKWOODSMAN
March 26, 2010, 08:09 PM
Who you trying to kid, she's going to find out!

The truth came out when my wife received her CCW and added all my pistols.

LJH
March 26, 2010, 08:11 PM
My wife stated that she would like a Jericho 941. And if I wanted to pitch in something fully auto would be on her list.

As we know, my money is her money, and her money is her money.

WTBguns10kOK
March 26, 2010, 08:11 PM
I'd go for like 5 and 1/2 Hi-Point 9 mm's. You can duel wield, AND in case of a gunfight, just throw them down once they run out of ammo, like in the movies.

gb0399
March 26, 2010, 08:15 PM
i do like the Hi-point idea!
i just bought her a springfield XD 9mm sub compact, and this one is all for me.
Also thinking Mini 30.
or ruger MK III 22 lr?
too many choices

thunder173
March 26, 2010, 08:19 PM
I'd tell my wife we had an extra 700 bucks I'd like to buy a gun with,...and she'd take me to the LGS and help me pick one out. God I love this woman!!

Geno
March 26, 2010, 08:23 PM
gb0399 asked:

my wife doesnt know

Lets say you just got handed 700.00, you didnt expect it and you dont need it for some thing else. AND your wife doesnt know about it... what gun(s) do you buy?

Well, I actually experienced just about that exact situation. After waiting for the better part of 2 months (together) we cashed the check. She got 50% and I got 50%. I still asked if she minded if I bought myself a Winchester Super Grade. She didn't mind.

Somethings are just more important than rifles. Marital trust is one of them. I've been married to my wife for a bit over 25 years now. We've had some ups, and some downs. But the trust is what has carried us through.

Geno

52grain
March 26, 2010, 08:24 PM
Right now I'd probably go for a new scope for my .223. From the two that you listed, i'd probably go for a Lee-Enfield.

She is going to find out!

offthepaper
March 26, 2010, 08:28 PM
a few thoughts strike me.

1- A CMP SG Garand (If able to purchase from CMP).
2- A Marlin lever action, stainless would be nice (I understand they're going to shut down, get em now).
3 - Build an AR (if you don't have one).
4 - A reloading setup (again, if you don't have one).
5 - A very nice piece of glass for an existing rifle.
6 - If you don't reload, a crap load of ammo.

Man, It's fun spending other peoples money! I feel just like the govt. :D

gb0399
March 26, 2010, 08:30 PM
I cant believe this. Its free gun time, and you guys want to tell her? My safe is over full, ive got them under the bed and in the closet and she couldnt tell you if i have 5 or 50.

gb0399
March 26, 2010, 08:33 PM
OFFTHEPAPER said:
a few thoughts strike me.

1- A CMP SG Garand (If able to purchase from CMP).
2- A Marlin lever action (I understand they're going to shut down, get em now).
3 - Build an AR (if you don't have one).
4 - A reloading setup (again, if you don't have one).
5 - A very nice piece of glass for an existing rifle.
6 - If you don't reload, a crap load of ammo.

Man, It's fun spending other peoples money! I feel just like the govt.

1. have Garand from CMP
2. always wanted 30-30 lever action
3. have AR
4. dont reload
5. have glass on all guns that apply
6. have more ammo than i can shoot

Art Eatman
March 26, 2010, 08:34 PM
"Somethings are just more important than rifles. Marital trust is one of them."

Yup. + a gazillion or two. If ya gotta hide such doings, either you're not so smart about money or you're hooked up with the wrong lady.

Heck, I'm too lazy to lie. I figure that if I don't lie, I don't ever have to remember what I said.

offthepaper
March 26, 2010, 08:35 PM
Sounds like a nice lever action is in order.

gb0399
March 26, 2010, 08:37 PM
im on gun broker right now.
NO lie, you guys are better than me, im being serious, but..
Im also getting a new gun

gb0399
March 26, 2010, 08:43 PM
If a Marlin lever, what caliber? 45-70?

Geno
March 26, 2010, 08:46 PM
Art:

So true. Some of my best memories of life here at THR are when my wife and daughter come over and ask me why I'm typing up a storm.

My bride knows well, and I remind her that, if she wants to track my posts, all she has to do is sign up for THR! I hope some day she does. :)

Geno

offthepaper
March 26, 2010, 08:51 PM
Here's a 30-30

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=93&t=754620

Give her the change and everyone will be happy.

oneounceload
March 26, 2010, 08:51 PM
Hiding things from the wife is REALLY bad ju-ju. Let her know, give her some of it (assuming bills aren't pressing) and spend it on something you want. If not enough for that, put it in your safe and wait until you have enough. Playing games like that (unless $$$$$ is never an issue) leads to too many marital issuies

gb0399
March 26, 2010, 08:56 PM
NO NO NO
this is mine, she has hers.
the only arguments we have is if its naughty nurse or french maid night.
I need gun ideas!! Marriage is good, she doesnt care.

oldfool
March 26, 2010, 09:02 PM

Yup. + a gazillion or two. If ya gotta hide such doings, either you're not so smart about money or you're hooked up with the wrong lady.

Heck, I'm too lazy to lie. I figure that if I don't lie, I don't ever have to remember what I said.
+ three gazillion

jpwilly
March 26, 2010, 09:22 PM
NO NO NO
this is mine, she has hers.
the only arguments we have is if its naughty nurse or french maid night.
I need gun ideas!! Marriage is good, she doesnt care.

Very nice! I'd go with French maid tonight and Nurse the following evening :)

Otherwise to answer your question go with option B and some ammo or get a CMMG bargan bin AR-15!

Lambkhop
March 26, 2010, 09:27 PM
My wife left me for doing something like that.. just saying.

RP88
March 26, 2010, 09:45 PM
well, I'm not married, but my girlfriend wouldn't appreciate not at least splitting the money so we can both buy something nice.

So with that in mind I'd take her shopping at the mall, then on the way I would pick up an M70AB2 Underfolder or an original 91/30 sniper model with my half.

Al LaVodka
March 27, 2010, 12:09 AM
She already knows. This is a test. You are failing. She will hurt you. Just when you think the "maid" is finished with the duster, out comes the crazy glue...
Al

Ignition Override
March 27, 2010, 01:42 AM
She would know about a trip to Anniston AL with my 'Gun Guru' friend, who will provide critically-needed 'counsel' for my first M-1 Garand. Only if it can be easily reloaded twice or more. My other (previously saved) cash would buy GI M2 ball ammo.

Other than that, a second Mauser (nice Yugo or Czech) and more 8mm surplus at a Memphis area gun show.

c919
March 27, 2010, 02:19 AM
2. always wanted 30-30 lever action

Go for a pre-'64 Winchester and never look back. Just recently picked up a new Glock 20 and that leaves the Winchester 30-30 next on the list. I can't wait!

Bear 45/70
March 27, 2010, 02:30 AM
Go for a pre-'64 Winchester and never look back. Just recently picked up a new Glock 20 and that leaves the Winchester 30-30 next on the list. I can't wait!
I much prefer my Marlin 336SC made in 1950 to any winny ever made. As for Glock, they hold the same place as the M16 holds in my heart, totally despised as not worth the effort to own.

Carter
March 27, 2010, 02:38 AM
i'd go with a FN patrol rifle .308 bolt action

can't go wrong with it

Abel
March 27, 2010, 06:17 AM
If a Marlin lever, what caliber? 45-70?

No. An older 336A with the 24" barrel in 30-30 or 35 Rem. or an older 336SC....in 35 Rem. or 30-30. The pre-64 Winchester 94 and a possibly a sporterized 1898 Krag would be very close runners up.

Here's about 9 pages of Marlin 336 eye candy:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,59301.0.html

Sav .250
March 27, 2010, 07:46 AM
I may be foolish but not stupid! I tell her about the money. All $100 of it.
Give her $50. That way she`s happy and I still have plenty to get me
A good used, Pre-64, Win 94. Everybody wins! :)

auberg
March 27, 2010, 02:28 PM
I'm not married so, I don't have the issue the others speak of.

I just bought and got to the range a Savage 10FP in .308. I put a cheap Simmons scope on it, and all tolled its still not $700. But it is a tack driver.

Either that, or I also just picked up a Rock Island Tactical 1911. Its tight and shoots very good too. You could get it and a fair about of ammo and still be under $700.

Just my 2 cents.

Frank

JimKirk
March 27, 2010, 07:34 PM
if its naughty nurse or french maid night
I'm not married so, I don't have the issue

auberg ....is that funny or not??

Nick5182
March 27, 2010, 07:50 PM
If that happened to me, I'd give my fiancée half. Then, I'd take my 350, add a little of my own cash, and get me a Glock 21. That's just me.

bubba15301
March 27, 2010, 07:53 PM
M1 carbine

Schofield3
March 31, 2010, 05:05 PM
This thread is great
As we know, my money is her money, and her money is her money.

Hahaha

Limeyfellow
March 31, 2010, 05:09 PM
My wife would beat me up for using up money that she could spend on a new DSA FAL. My wife rocks unless you have to pay for her ammo. Then you end up with an empty wallet after buying ammo for two.

CoRoMo
March 31, 2010, 05:21 PM
I'd split it with her. She'd go crazy at local garage sales, and I'd probably buy reloading components because I don't know of very many $350 guns that I want. Wait... that's not true!

I'd buy a His-n-Hers pair of KT-Sub2K in 9mm/Glock grip.:D

BULLSI
March 31, 2010, 05:27 PM
Well, I actually experienced just about that exact situation. After waiting for the better part of 2 months (together) we cashed the check. She got 50% and I got 50%. I still asked if she minded if I bought myself a Winchester Super Grade. She didn't mind.

Somethings are just more important than rifles. Marital trust is one of them. I've been married to my wife for a bit over 25 years now. We've had some ups, and some downs. But the trust is what has carried us through.

Geno

what did she do with hers?

GunsBeerFreedom
March 31, 2010, 05:42 PM
Get a Enfield and a Mosin. The money you have left over will go to a nice gift for her so she doesn't get mad about the guns. Worked for me and my wife. Worked even better for my mom and dad.

Dunkelheit
March 31, 2010, 05:44 PM
C: Ammo for my other rifles.

jeepguy
March 31, 2010, 06:20 PM
tell her about the money & see what she thinks you should do.if she says spend it.then i might look at mini 14, vz58, or save up & get a m14/m1a. or buy an aimpoint, eotech, or trijicon accupoint. maybe a safe.

scchokedaddy
March 31, 2010, 06:47 PM
Give it all to her, then spend what she gives back[if any]. House comes before toys.

Hammerhead6814
March 31, 2010, 08:39 PM
Tell your wife. The second she see's the rifle she will ask:

1. When did you get it?
2. How much was it?
3. Don't we have better things to spend money on?

Sometimes you'll get:

4. You never make any decisions without me! What about what I think?

Not telling her is inviting some problems that DO NOT work themselves out on their own. So tell her. For your sake.

Geno
March 31, 2010, 09:55 PM
BULLSI:

She invested it in a trip to return home. She wanted to be with her mother when she had hip-replacement surgery.

Geno

NotSoFast
March 31, 2010, 10:05 PM
I'm with the other sensible gentlemen here. Tell her first and see what she says. Trust is more important than a hunk of cold metal.

happygeek
March 31, 2010, 10:21 PM
My wife would definitely notice if another rifle magically showed up. She knows exactly how many I have, where they are, what they look like, what they're called, and what caliber they are. She even knows about how much per round the ammo for each is.

Heck, she even knows what's on my wish list and how much they'll cost. But if I had $700 to spend I'd get the next two rifles on my wish list: Mosin Nagant and an AK. Either that or a scope mount and scope for my M1A with enough left over for a red dot for my 22LR M4ergy.

SSN Vet
March 31, 2010, 10:37 PM
my wife doesnt know

but she will :neener:

paintballdude902
March 31, 2010, 11:06 PM
garand

pmeisel
March 31, 2010, 11:44 PM
Take the money home, take her out to dinner or buy her something, then you can use the rest of the money..... with her blessing.

ROGER4314
April 1, 2010, 01:25 AM
My lady and I aren't married and she has her money and I have mine. If I wanted something with that money, I'd just get it.

Usually, when I get a new toy, I buy her a little something, too. Sometimes, she likes a compact of her makeup or something similar. It's about $30 and she loves those "just because" gifts. I usually pack her along and let her pick what she wants.

Even if we were married, I'd never lie to her about it.

She just walked in here and I read this post to her. Her reaction? "I'd just say go for it!"

That trust and "live and let live" attitude is why we've been together for 10 years.

Flash

CoRoMo
April 1, 2010, 09:41 AM
I must be luckier than many of you here. When my wife sees or hears that I've bought a new rifle, she doesn't care what it costs. She doesn't get angry that I bought it without her knowledge. She doesn't wonder why the money wasn't used, instead for this or that. She just doesn't make a fuss at all.

And there's a very good reason why she doesn't do any of that.

jeepguy
April 1, 2010, 09:25 PM
im glad to see so many here taking the high road, on being honest with their wives.

Ky Larry
April 2, 2010, 08:16 AM
Let's see. In the last year, we've remodeled the kitchen and bought a new car that she drives ($38,000.00) so I'd think I'm due. I'd really like a new Savage Weather Warrior in .308 or a Ruger Super Red Hawk in .44 mag. I'm not good at keeping secrets so I'd tell her.

dovedescending
April 2, 2010, 08:58 AM
For me it would really depend on where the money came from. And who got the last big toy. Still I'd tell her, but depending on where it came from, that would change how I presented the news... if it's obviously fun-money, well hey, Remington 700. If the car is breaking down and it's not obviously fun money, there's always next year!

NMGonzo
April 2, 2010, 05:05 PM
350 on ammo

350 on something for her, like a trip to the hot springs.

Deckard
April 2, 2010, 08:25 PM
+1 for CMP Service Grade Garand.

edit: and a spam can of ammo to go with it

jcwit
April 2, 2010, 08:41 PM

Right on! With an adult life of being happily married to the same wonderful wife I agree. And NO, shes not standing behind me.

Also we don't take turns, I quit doing "turns" in grade school.

If you enjoyed reading about "my wife doesnt know" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!