older 640

PDA

griz1
March 27, 2010, 01:15 PM
I have a older all stainless S&W 640 in 38 spc only. It weight about 19 oz and is a pleasure to shoot. I'm away from my guns now but I know it isn;t stamped +P. Would you shoot +P in this gun or check with S&W? Thanks and if anyone has pictures of these older 640's I would love to see them.

If you enjoyed reading about "older 640" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
March 27, 2010, 01:28 PM
I would shoot standard ammo for extended practice shooting, and carry +P.

A limited amount of +P will not hurt it.

It is not +P rated because there was no +P rating back then.
There were hotter factory loads then todays +P though.

rc

wcwhitey
March 27, 2010, 10:19 PM
I think RC is thinking of the older Centennials models, Model 40. Not to disagree with him but with your 640 Centennial was made with +P in mind. It was manufactured after +P was around (1990ish I believe) and in common use. I have been carrying my 640 no dash for 18 years daily. It gets shot with +P and only +P. Round count well into the thousands. It will hold up and hold up well. Bill

GRIZ22
March 28, 2010, 05:30 AM
I know it isn;t stamped +P.

Well Griz, once upon a time no guns were stamped +P.

AFAIK the stainless 640 was introduced in the 90s. A friend had one in 38. All he shot was +P.

To be sure call or email S&W Customer Service with the serial number handy and they will tell you. If they say no I'd go with rcmodel's advice.

madcratebuilder
March 28, 2010, 08:27 AM
The M640 was released long after +P came on the market. I'm sure S&W well tell you it's safe to use +P's on a limited basis. Call them and confirm it.

aHFo3
March 28, 2010, 07:01 PM
My uncle has an older 640 that is stamped under the cylinder on the frame "tested for +p+" The early 640's had that designation, although not on the barrel. The gun remained the same even though the rating changed. Check out this link on the S&W forum: http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-revolvers-1980-present/131436-640-p-rated.html

If you enjoyed reading about "older 640" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!