sierra pro hunter 150 gr (30-30) bullet on a 308 winchester case

PDA

NETO1978
March 27, 2010, 01:42 PM
By mistake I bought 2000 of these bullets , is it okay to reload 308winchester?:banghead:
tks.

If you enjoyed reading about "sierra pro hunter 150 gr (30-30) bullet on a 308 winchester case" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ReloaderFred
March 27, 2010, 01:49 PM
They will load just fine, but if you're intending to hunt with them they may be too thin in the jacket. I used to load .30-30 round nose bullets in .30-06 for shooting jackrabbits. It was an explosive combination, to say the least.

If you're just going to be shooting paper, rocks, tin cans, etc., then they'll be just fine. Both calibers use .308" diameter bullets.

Hope this helps.

Fred

NETO1978
March 27, 2010, 02:16 PM
tks a lot fred!helped a lot! I didn't understand the part "but if you're intending to hunt with them they may be too thin in the jacket"...

tks.

rcmodel
March 27, 2010, 02:26 PM
He means they are designed to perform on deer at 30-30 velocity of around 2,000 FPS or less.

They will act more like a varmint bullet and explode violently with little penetration when driven almost 1/3 again faster out of a .308.

If you want them to perform on deer as designed, you would need to load them down a tad in a .308.

rc

ReloaderFred
March 27, 2010, 02:40 PM
I'm sorry I wasn't clearer in my explanation.

Bullets that are designed to expand at approximately 1,800 fps to 2,000 fps will come apart like a water balloon when driven to 2,800 fps+ when they hit something like a deer or similar size animal. They're made with jackets that are slightly thinner than bullets intended to be driven at higher velocities to enhance expansion at the lower velocities. That was why I used .30-30 bullets for shooting jackrabbits in the desert. They would expand on a smaller animal than a deer at the higher velocities I was driving them to in the .30-06.

Hope this helps.

Fred

ants
March 27, 2010, 02:52 PM
2000 is a lotta rounds in 308 if the bullets aren't to your satisfaction. You can shoot some, but 2000 is a lotta bullets.

Or... Keep a couple hundred for your own plinking and jackrabbit pleasure. Then list the rest of them on this forum under Trading Post, Buy & Sell & Trade: Reloading Components. Offer them at a good price and recover most of your money, or maybe someone has suitable 308Win bullets to trade straight across, each of you pay $4.90 shipping. Now everybody's happy.

NETO1978
March 27, 2010, 06:29 PM
the main reason is paper and tin cans...the only concern is if they gonna work on a semi-auto R25 ,without any feeding problems...
Is it?

rcmodel
March 27, 2010, 06:33 PM
Seeing as how the Sierra 150 Pro-Hunter has a wide flat point for 30-30 magazines?

You might could have some feeding problems in a AR-10.

Only sure way to find out is try them and see.

Biggest potential problem would be if they do hang up all the time?
You will have severe bullet set-back problems that could produce dangerous pressure.
Also possible you could set one off out of the chamber when the bolt hits it at an odd angle and blow yourself up.

I have to agree that the best course of action would be to sell or trade the bullets for what you can get, take your lumps, and learn your lesson.

Then be sure you order Pointy bullets for your AR-10 next time.

rc

If you enjoyed reading about "sierra pro hunter 150 gr (30-30) bullet on a 308 winchester case" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!