Installing Non-Pinned Barrel in a 29-2?

PDA

bluetopper
March 27, 2010, 02:58 PM
I've found a 3" non-pinned barrel and I'm thinking of installing it in my 29-2.

What modifications do I have to make and is it worth the trouble?

Thanks......

If you enjoyed reading about "Installing Non-Pinned Barrel in a 29-2?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Oro
March 27, 2010, 04:02 PM
Yes, it certainly can be done.

Any machinist/gunsmith who is skilled and equipped enough to be able to trim the shoulder and forcing cone can certainly add a cut to enable re-installation of the pin, even if it's not entirely necessary. It would just look wrong with the two empty pin holes in the frame!

bluetopper
March 27, 2010, 04:37 PM
So just making a notch in the threads for the pin to go through is all that has to be done?
Maybe carefully done with a tiny round hand file?

Oro
March 27, 2010, 05:03 PM
So just making a notch in the threads for the pin to go through is all that has to be done?

It doesn't really even have to be done - that would just be a small step that would look nice. S&W was crush-fitting barrels from the early '50s onward. They were just very slow in deleting the pin. The gunsmith can crush fit the barrel without the pin; it would just look odd since the frame is drilled.

rcmodel
March 27, 2010, 05:08 PM
So just making a notch in the threads for the pin to go through is all that has to be done?No.

As Oro said in post #3, the shoulder and barrel shank will have to be lathe turned and fitted to the frame so it lines up with the sight on top and the barrel/cylinder gap set correctly. Then the forcing cone will have to be recut.

The chance of it just screwing on and fitting is very slim.
Especially if it has already came off of another gun and already been fitted to that frame.

rc

Zundfolge
March 27, 2010, 05:16 PM
rcmodel is correct.

I looked into this same thing with my 29-2 a couple years ago (only the barrel I found was a 2.5" 629 barrel) and was basically told by a gun smith that it would be easier, cheaper and I'd get a better result if I just had the barrel on my 29-2 cut down, recrowned and the sight moved back.

bluetopper
March 27, 2010, 05:28 PM
No, I don't want to cut and recrown my 6" barrel. I want the option of installing my original barrel back.

I've already clicked on "Buy It Now" on the 3" barrel, so we'll see what transpires.;)

I've wanted a snub 44 for a while and I think the value of my 29 will be increased more than the price I'm paying for the barrel.....not that I will have any intention of selling it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Installing Non-Pinned Barrel in a 29-2?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!