New press on my bench! Dillon 1050, WOW.

PDA

Exposure
March 27, 2010, 07:14 PM
It showed up today, thanks FedEx for the Saturday delivery.

I just got it set up and made some practice rounds, no powder or primer.

This thing is AMAZING. Poetry in motion so to speak.

I think I'm in love!

My little Lee Classic Turret has been temporarily removed to make room for the big 1050 but you can see my Lee single stage is still in place. The Lee Turret will be put back in place soon though. It is too good a press to get rid of.

Any other 1050 owners here?

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/paulj1973/dillon.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "New press on my bench! Dillon 1050, WOW." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
loadedround
March 27, 2010, 08:32 PM
Nice press. Good luck with it.

EddieNFL
March 27, 2010, 08:40 PM
Rock on!

RustyFN
March 27, 2010, 08:48 PM
Wow is right, congrats. I would love to pull the handle on a 1050 to see what it's like.

SSN Vet
March 27, 2010, 09:01 PM
what are you setting up to load on it?

Exposure
March 27, 2010, 09:26 PM
As it sits in the picture it is set up for .223

I also have everything ready to load for 9MM, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP.

Watching this thing in action is nothing short of amazing. It simply cranks the ammo out!

In the picture you can see my Dillon Super Swage 600 used to remove military primer crimps. It was first piece of Dillon equipment I ever bought and I was sold the minute I used it.

I know there are some folks who think Dillon equipment is overpriced, maybe it is. But I can only say that this press is money really well spent for me. I am not disappointed in the least in the product that is now bolted to my bench. Dillon rocks!

ljnowell
March 27, 2010, 09:38 PM
I wouldnt call dillon overpriced. I wouldnt say anything bad about them really, they are a great company with a great product. I just cant afford their level of great so I stick with my Lee level of pretty-damned-goodness. Congrats on a great press though, you will be shooting a ton now!

ole farmerbuck
March 27, 2010, 09:38 PM
Well when it starts giving you fits, just paint it red and it will will be good to go! :) Nice looking settup there. Enjoy

Balrog
March 27, 2010, 09:41 PM
I have 2 Dillon 650's, one set for small primers and one for large primers. They are great presses. Good luck with that 1050, I am sure it will be awesome.

rfwobbly
March 27, 2010, 09:45 PM
That's the message I repeat over and over. With reloading machines, the market is so competitive that you get what you pay for. All the machines out there make great ammo, but some are simply more refined than others. Most of the people out there poo-pooing Dillon have simply never used one. Once you get your hands on one you'll have trouble using anything else.

That, my brother, is one fine machine. Congrats on your purchase!

Exposure
March 27, 2010, 09:46 PM
There is absolutely no offense to Lee intended here!

I absolutely love Lee equipment. It is what I started on a few years ago and it has been nothing short of stellar!

I load for my machine guns and my Lee Classic Turret has loaded tens of thousands of pistol rounds to date without so much as a single flaw, that is not an exaggeration either, their turret presses WORK. Never a squib or an overcharge. Just lots, and lots, and lotsssss of great ammo!

But I had the money and wanted to upgrade, so I went nuts. :D

taliv
March 27, 2010, 09:56 PM
i've had one for years. great press

D. Manley
March 27, 2010, 10:17 PM
The 1050 is "da bomb". I keep telling myself if I ever manage to kill my little SDB, I deserve one...danged SD just don't wanna' co-operate though. Terrific piece of equipment, enjoy it.

Bush Pilot
March 27, 2010, 11:29 PM
Lee does make "some" good equipment. The people that compare a Load Master with a 1050 are high on something. I had lunch with a friend of a friend a couple of days ago. He was complaining that his new press was giving him fits. When I asked him what he was loading on he replied, "Load Master".

RustyFN
March 27, 2010, 11:36 PM
The people that compare a Load Master with a 1050 are high on something

I would have to agree but don't think I have ever seen that in a serious conversation.

bds
March 27, 2010, 11:45 PM
The Dillon 1050 does get two thumbs up from me - it is an awesome machine (my retired bullet caster had a few at his workshop).

So, when can we come over to drool over it? :D

EddieNFL
March 28, 2010, 09:58 AM
In the picture you can see my Dillon Super Swage 600 used to remove military primer crimps. It was first piece of Dillon equipment I ever bought and I was sold the minute I used it.

Should be able to get most of your money back now that you no longer need it. I predict it will sell the same day you post it.

I would have to agree but don't think I have ever seen that in a serious conversation.

Saw a post here calling Dillon "over priced junk." Guy seemed serious. On another board a fellow said he considered the Lee a better value because it has a bullet feeder.

AWMP
March 28, 2010, 10:17 AM
I'm looking at getting a 550 from Dillion, but wow what a setup!

joed
March 28, 2010, 12:28 PM
I've owned all Dillons. Started with a 550b about 9 years ago. My second press was a used 1050 that I picked up from a gunshop that was closing. It's not the super 1050, the difference being it can't load the longer rifle cartridges. Other then that it is the same press just a shorter distance that the cases have to travel.

The gunshop had 2 of these brutes for sale at $900 each. In my stupidity I only bought one. Cost me about $30 in parts to get it operational again.

After getting the 1050 going I realized it was time to get rid of the 550b. The 550b was a nice starter press but I never liked the idea that there wasn't room for a powder check die. So I sold it and bought a 650xl. By the time I added the case feeder and other options the 650xl came to about $750. That's not much of a difference from $900 for a 1050, that's why I say I was stupid to pass up the second 1050.

But on to the 1050. Never seen anything like it. I load .44 and .45 on it. Fast? I can do an honest 1200 rounds an hour on it and there are never any mishaps while loading. It even knocks out the crimps on military rounds as you're loading. I've been using the 1050 for 5 or 6 years now. It has never broken a part or needed anything but cleaning.

If I had to sell off a progressive it would be the 650 and I'd keep the 1050. Setup takes a while, longer then the 550b or 650xl but once setup operation is flawless.

You're going to love that press.

If I had one complaint about the 1050 it is that it is so efficient that it sits for long periods of time not being used. Over the Xmas holidays I reloaded 6000 rounds of .44 Mag that took me 2 years to accumulate. I wasn't in a hurry and spent 5.5 hours knocking out the ammo. Now it will probably take 2 more years to get enough empties again.

All the other progressive presses on the market pale alongside the 1050.

Here's a picture of the press as I brought it home. I spent probably 3 hours cleaning it up but it looks like the day it left Dillon now. You can see from the photo that it has a shorter distance that the ram has to move, probably the reason that I can do 1200 rounds an hour.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t14/jzurinda/IM001368.jpg

RustyFN
March 28, 2010, 12:49 PM
Saw a post here calling Dillon "over priced junk." Guy seemed serious. On another board a fellow said he considered the Lee a better value because it has a bullet feeder.

I have seen that also Eddie and don't agree with them. I have also seen people say everything Lee makes is junk and don't agree with them either. I have never seen anybody compare a Load Master to a 1050.

joed
March 28, 2010, 04:19 PM
There's nothing wrong with Lee equipment, I started out with a lot of their products. Came close to buying one of their progressives too. Sprung for the Dillon and don't regret it.

ljnowell
March 28, 2010, 04:56 PM
There's nothing wrong with Lee equipment, I started out with a lot of their products. Came close to buying one of their progressives too. Sprung for the Dillon and don't regret it.

Thats how I feel too. Right now I am rocking the Lee Turret and with auto indexing can really crank them out. When, or if, I decide to go fully progressive, it will probably be with a dillon. Either a dillon or a LNL. they are both good presses IMO.

jmorris
March 28, 2010, 04:59 PM
I have a super 1050 set up in 223 with a bullet feeder and auto drive, it's cheating.

joed
March 28, 2010, 05:34 PM
OK, I have to ask, what's an auto drive? I'm hoping it's something that doesn't require me to pull the handle. My older 1050 can crank out cartridges at speeds of 1200 per hour, but only for the first hour. Because I'm out of shape it gets slower and slower after the first hour.

jmorris
March 28, 2010, 08:26 PM
Thats what is is. Here is a photo of the PW unit. I can run the machine faster by hand than the one I built but I can case gauge while loading so it's twice as fast anyway.

http://reloaders.com/bmz_cache/b/b9203d46efe58447387d28993d895f80.image.308x550.jpg

HOWARD J
March 28, 2010, 09:15 PM
I started with a rockchucker.
Went to Lee turret
Got a Lee 1000 in 9MM & 10 MM
Purchased a Dillion 450
Purchased a Dillion 550
Picked up a Lee 4 hole turret
Retired 11 years--no rush for ammo anymore
Use the Lee 4 hole
Lots of dust on other machines....
I finally ran out of cases to reload.--used about 35# of powder in last 5 years ( handgun & a little rifle)
Gotta to do more shooting
THAT'S A GREAT MACHINE YOU HAVE---BE GOOD TO IT !!!!!!!!

Exposure
March 28, 2010, 09:36 PM
I spent the better part of the day fussing with this monster.

Very steep learning curve but nothing that a little patience couldn't overcome. I am really, really impressed with this thing.

As of right now she is all set to crank out boat loads of 223.

I ended up ordering a couple of extras that I think are money very well spent. I got the powder check die, what a neat little tool that is. No more worries about double charges or squibs. $70.00 For peace of mind, you can't beat that!

I also got the RT 1200B power case trimmer and resizing die for 223. That rig is just awesome. No more trimming, chamfering, and deburring rifle cases by hand, woohoo!! Right now it is set up on my Lee single stage. I couldn't bring myself to spend another $200 for a spare tool head just for the power trimmer.

I am pretty enamored to say the least. I am kind of amazed that I am on the computer right now instead of still playing with the press!

sonick808
March 29, 2010, 12:23 AM
Dillon has a storefront on their factory in Scottsdale. same place they make the miniguns (obviously gov contracts keep those areas super secret) I've been in there multiple times just gawking at their stuff (they sell tons of reloading supplies to avoid midway shipping also). Still, point being that the reloading equipment feels and works as good as it looks. they have all their presses set up to run and run they do. I'll stick with the lee classic turret at the rate I shoot though (500 cartridges a week max, 100 min)

Sheldon
March 29, 2010, 05:28 AM
I have been fortunate enough to have been able to buy quite a few Dillon presses in the past, way before the recent rush for the stuff. I had previously purchased a complete used reloading setup which included a Dillon 1050 along with tumbler, sifter, scale, reloading bench, and a bunch of other smaller accessories.....for $550!! The press was setup for .223 Rem and since the parts were so expensive to try to convert it to load all the high volume calibers I use, I just flipped it on Ebay and made a killing. Years later I ran into another used 1050 press, only this one was setup for three calibers and had 2 toolheads....again it was for $550. I decided to try it out and just loved the way it worked. I kept it and sold off the two 650 presses I had. I was able to sell off one of the uneeded conversion kits and get another that I needed and got a additional used toolhead so now I have a toolhead setup for 9mm, .38 Spl., and .45 ACP. I am thinking of getting a .223 Rem conversion kit now and will probably just use an existing toolhead instead of buying a new one....unless I run into a cheap used one!!

It has been years since I have seen any reloaders at such good prices.

Winston_Smith
March 29, 2010, 06:54 AM
Dillon has a storefront on their factory in Scottsdale. same place they make the miniguns

Are you sure about this? It is not mentioned on either website.

http://www.dillonaero.com/about_us.html

http://www.dillonprecision.com/

jmorris
March 29, 2010, 09:25 AM
I ended up ordering a couple of extras that I think are money very well spent. I got the powder check die, what a neat little tool that is. No more worries about double charges or squibs. $70.00 For peace of mind, you can't beat that!

I also got the RT 1200B power case trimmer and resizing die for 223. That rig is just awesome. No more trimming, chamfering, and deburring rifle cases by hand, woohoo!! Right now it is set up on my Lee single stage. I couldn't bring myself to spend another $200 for a spare tool head just for the power trimmer.

I use the gsi bullet feeders (they allow the use of a PC die) for pistol as I can’t see in the case as easily and the small charges of fast powder could be double charged. For rifle almost all of the loads I use are compressed so a double can’t happen and you can see the level when the shell comes to rest at station #6. So I saved a little money and placed the bullet feeder (KISS) at this station instead of the PC die.

I already had a few 650’s so I just mounted my trimmer to an extra 650 bullet feeder.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/trimmer.jpg

Exposure
March 30, 2010, 08:40 PM
Well, what can I say about this press that hasn't been said already?

I made up my first live rounds last night. It was overwhelming how fast and how well it worked.

I have attached a short video to show how awesome this piece of equipment is. I know it is hard to believe but the rate at which I am moving in the vid works out to about 1000 rounds per hour. To be honest that number would be very difficult to sustain due to the need to keep the case hopper, primer magazine, and powder hopper filled. But 800 plus an hour is pretty easily attainable with this press. This thing is AWESOME.

Take a peek at the vid to see it in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EikGWyNdYIA

dpart77
March 30, 2010, 09:15 PM
Are you sure about this? It is not mentioned on either website.

http://www.dillonaero.com/about_us.html

http://www.dillonprecision.com/
They had one a few years ago. I flew in a business jet (pilot not owner) to the SDL airport. While walking around I saw the store. It was pretty small but had all of the presses set up. I was fortunate enough to get a full tour with the manager and a couple of other folks. It lasted about 2 hours. It was quite impressive to say the least. They were some of the nicest folks I have met. I just wish I could afford their larger presses.

Winston_Smith
March 30, 2010, 09:43 PM
I did see an model holding a dillon aero on the dillon precision home page so I do believe you may be correct. Interesting product lines for one company.

If you enjoyed reading about "New press on my bench! Dillon 1050, WOW." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!