How do you live with your SIG P6?

PDA

Dr_2_B
March 27, 2010, 11:32 PM
So remember awhile back when those German P6's hit the market and were all the rage? So who's using one of those P6's now and what's its story?

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=81595&stc=1&d=1216516665

Pardon the poor picture. This is mine with some Marschal grips I put on it. I don't carry mine often because it's controls are different than my other pistols. But it gets the occasional nod... including yesterday. It rides in a kydex IWB from Fist.

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you live with your SIG P6?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nasty
March 28, 2010, 01:44 PM
I learned about the lack of support. There are a couple of parts that are almost impossible to find and so have traded it off at a reasonable price as opposed to what some were selling them for at one point.

Nice guns, but I had no desire to keep a future paperweight.

rcmodel
March 28, 2010, 01:48 PM
I like mine. A lot.
All I have done to mine is put in a P225 hammer spring, and add Mep night sights and four extra mags.

As for no parts support?
Well over 1/2 of my 50+ gun collection is old Colts, S&W's and Winchesters that have been out of production for close to 50-100 years.

Not a problem to me atall.
If I break the P6, I will find a way to fix it, just like all the others.

Even if I can't fix it?
It would sell for more broken as a parts gun now then I paid for it new 2 1/2 years ago.

rc

Coronach
March 28, 2010, 02:04 PM
I use mine as a trainer for new shooters. Gentle recoil, cheap caliber, and easy to demonstrate the difference between double and single action.

Mike

Coronach
March 28, 2010, 02:05 PM
There are a couple of parts that are almost impossible to findWhat parts are difficult to find?

Mike

Shear_stress
March 28, 2010, 02:14 PM
How do you live with your SIG P6?

Well, it hogs the covers and is a little grumpy before it's had its coffee, but it helps out with the rent.

BAE984
March 28, 2010, 04:55 PM
It's taken over CC duties for me. It's proven to be very accurate, 100% reliable, and it seems to fit my hand just right. Haven't replaced anything, though I'm thinking about swapping a 225 mainspring in.

BTW, it LOVES 147gr loads.

rellascout
March 28, 2010, 05:47 PM
Mags are almost impossible to find for under $50.

The parts kits are no longer being produced by Sig. You can still get them because of the parts commonality with other P series guns.

Barrels are still around but they will soon dry up. IMHO.

Mainly its the mags which will cause you issue. Kind of like the mags for an HP P7.

rcmodel
March 28, 2010, 06:23 PM
http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/magazines-for-handguns/sig-magazines/cPath/332_178_241

rc

rellascout
March 28, 2010, 06:55 PM
http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/mag...th/332_178_241

rc

Promags suck I would not pay any amount of money for them.

Used Factory mag $39.90 + $9.95 shipping = $50 No thank you.

evan price
March 29, 2010, 03:22 AM
I have one, a 1984 dated model with a fresh arsenal rebuild, new grips, etc for a car gun. It lives in the glove compartment in a nice Don Hume holster.

I have another one, 1981, that I bought off a guy because it wouldn't shoot. Turned out he'd stuck a squib reload and bulged the barrel. Took some looking to find a good used Sig barrel, but an EFK or Barsto barrel would have taken care of the problem, for about as much as a P6 cost to begin with. I put a set of Pachmayr grips on it and it does very well as my around-the-yard gun.

The German police holster went in the misc junk bin.

Quite happy with the P6/P225.

nad3ooo
March 29, 2010, 12:50 PM
love my P6, one of my favorite pieces, and one of the few i actually trust my life with...pull the tirgger, it goes bang- every time

nice to get into a sig for less than $300

stoney1666
March 29, 2010, 01:23 PM
CTD has P38 mags for $11, easy mod to make range mags for the P6, I did 4.

Dr_2_B
March 29, 2010, 04:20 PM
Good info Stoney. But why only range mags? Not so reliable?

DRYHUMOR
March 29, 2010, 07:37 PM
Truck gun ;)

axeman_g
March 30, 2010, 02:05 PM
No problems with it living with me at all... my wife is starting to get jelous though.

Stoney.... I need more info on that possible alteration.

Rella... my understanding is that for some miracle of miracles, that the ProMag P225/P6 mags work well. Some think it is the single stack simplicity... others believe act of God. Might try two for range mags.

Mine is my main house gun now....and if I could CCW in NJ it would be in the rotation definetly. I dont think support is going to go away for awhile, there are too many P225's out there. I recently just bough two more mags for $35 each, brand new SIG mags from Topgunsupply.com. It is a great new shooter gun... really handles recoil well, never fails and has simple controls to teach.

At one time I wanted to change the grip panels... but changed my mind. I wanted to alter the springs... but changed my mind. I wanted to put on nights... but changed my mind. I was thinking of selling it last week..... but changed my mind. It is just a high quality product, has never let me down EVER, that I paid too little for.

By the way I am axiously waiting on it's "new to me" big brother .... P220.

rellascout
March 30, 2010, 02:54 PM
axeman I have owned a P225 for about 7+ years now. It is not a P6. I have more than enough mags and have had more then enough for years. I even sold a few at a reasonable price to forum guys who needed them because they bought a $300 gun and could not find mags for less than $50. Topgun is $42.50 + shipping.... http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer-p225-magazines/

Again I would not pay money for a pro mag of any kind. I guess they might be useful for reload drills but that is about it.

You are also wrong about support. Sig Sauer as a company does not support the P225 anymore. They have not for years which is why these guns were dumped onto the used market. Sig in Germany did not refit the stamping equipment for the slides. At the same time the P228 went away and all Sigs went to stainless steel milled slides.

If you are going to make claims you should know what you are talking about. The recent P228s and P225s were old stock. They were parts guns put together from leftovers. Your assertions that Sig is going to continue to support this the P6 is simply not true. If you call and ask Sig they no longer support the P225. Go to the website and try to order a P225. They are all out of stock. They will not be replenished. People like Top gun are working off of old stock. When that goes away.......... then what? Aftermarket products like promags... :(

This does not mean you should not shoot a P6 or P225 if you have one. I still shoot mine. I have better carry guns so it does not get into the rotation. To me you simply have to be aware of the reality of its support today and in the future.

axeman_g
March 30, 2010, 04:36 PM
Rella... when did we get into a mine is bigger contest here. I dont care how long you have owned or shot a 225.... that was never in the duscussion. Nor did I make any claims that SIG was still supporting these guns... I used "support" meaning any support, parts gunsmithing etc would not away because of their popularity. I never mentioned SIG nor would I becuase I dont count on any manufacturer to be my sole support for anything. I know what old stock is and was and I never discussed 228 or 225s in that fashion. I have never used a manuu to support my weapons... mainly because I have never had to return a firearm, I dont buy crap and I prefer to fix them or get them fixed myself.

In your scenario I should not shoot nor own a Garand, because the support is not there.. or maybe a Mauser K98. How about all the other nuumerous firearms that have been dropped from production over the years.. should they just be tossed away?

Pilot
March 30, 2010, 05:19 PM
Regarding Promags. I generally feel the same way as others. They s*ck. However, four came with my Sig P228 and instead of tossing them I replaced the mag springs with extra power Wolff and deburred the followers. They now function as realiably as the Sig factory mags. Actually they were 100% reliable before the mods and I did the mods just as a precaution.

rellascout
March 30, 2010, 05:38 PM
Rella... when did we get into a mine is bigger contest here. I dont care how long you have owned or shot a 225.... that was never in the duscussion. Nor did I make any claims that SIG was still supporting these guns... I used "support" meaning any support, parts gunsmithing etc would not away because of their popularity.

:barf:

Who is going to make the parts? Who is making those parts now? Please tell me? You stated that there would be support. I illustrating to you that you are wrong. Deal with it.

mgmorden
March 30, 2010, 05:43 PM
Regarding Promags. I generally feel the same way as others. They s*ck. However, four came with my Sig P228 and instead of tossing them I replaced the mag springs with extra power Wolff and deburred the followers. They now function as realiably as the Sig factory mags. Actually they were 100% reliable before the mods and I did the mods just as a precaution.

That's the case with most cheap mags. Will they jam on ya? Yeah, but it's nothing that some sanding/filling/tweaking won't clear up. If Pro-Mags are your only source for reasonable quality mags, then buy them and work with them.

Either way - a LOT of these pistols were just dumped onto the surplus market within the last few years. Pro-Mag obviously thought it worth their while to cater to that market. I'm sure that pretty soon MecGar will too (and I actually rate their mags above most factory OEM mags).

rellascout
March 30, 2010, 05:47 PM
Either way - a LOT of these pistols were just dumped onto the surplus market within the last few years. Pro-Mag obviously thought it worth their while to cater to that market. I'm sure that pretty soon MecGar will too (and I actually rate their mags above most factory OEM mags).

Promag was making these mags before the recent import of used guns. They have made Sig mags for a long time with a long standing poor rep. I have heard of people swapping springs with wolff springs and get decent function for the range maybe.... for defense never.

MecGar is the Oem for many manufacturers including Sig. Sig factory mags which say made in Italy are Mecgars.

axeman_g
March 30, 2010, 07:34 PM
Man... rella... you need to layoff the caffeine. Glad you know I am wrong. Maybe I will grow up and accept it one day.

Glock Holiday
March 30, 2010, 08:39 PM
Got one about two years ago and I wouldn't part with it.
The P6 is the pistol that got me away from being a Glock only guy.
Since then I've sold all my other Glock pistols but my G19 and picked up another P6 and bought a German P220 .45 automatic.

Dr_2_B
March 31, 2010, 02:32 AM
Axemen and Rellascout, thanks for the info. In the interest of staying on topic, may I suggest we bring that discussion to a close now?

My main beef with the P6 is that, well... it's beefy. Now, I know I have those wood grips on it which add a little size. But in typical SIG fashion, it's on the large size for a ccw piece. I.e. when I carry my Glock 19/Glock 23 I feel like I'm carrying a compact. But when I carry the P6 I feel like I've stepped up in size and down in capacity.

Anyone else find this to be true or is it just a gripe of my own?

Girodin
March 31, 2010, 02:50 AM
My main beef with the P6 is that, well... it's beefy. Now, I know I have those wood grips on it which add a little size. But in typical SIG fashion, it's on the large size for a ccw piece. I.e. when I carry my Glock 19/Glock 23 I feel like I'm carrying a compact. But when I carry the P6 I feel like I've stepped up in size and down in capacity.

No I think that is a legit critique. The Sig P6 was a great buy when they were $250 but I think the G19 and the like are better CCW guns, for the reasons you have mentioned. If I wanted a 8 round 9mm I'd rather be carrying a Kahr.

evan price
March 31, 2010, 05:32 AM
It's true that you can buy a 9mm of very similar dimension with a much higher capacity. The P228 and P225 are really not much different in size but the 228 is double stacked.

The reason I like single stack Sigs is because they fit my hand well, and the weight and size makes them very controllable. Double the ammo is double the ammo weight. IMHO the P239 and P225 are about "just right" for a compact carry pistol, and I honestly do not expect to need more than 8 rounds to get my behind out of trouble. A J-frame S&W only holds 5.

If I need deep cover, the KelTec PF9 fits in a pocket, and it's a single stack 9mm as well.

Don't mind Rellascout, he still refuses to believe that all P6's are government-contract P225's.

axeman_g
March 31, 2010, 10:10 AM
Dc 2 B,
Yep... it is not really apples to oranges with a G19, Kahr etc etc. If you wanted to compare a P6 to a HKP7 you could get away with it, but the P7 would walk away with CCW crown easily. The G19 and others are of a decade or greater younger design... and all are very nice guns. A G19 is the other half of my "wish I could in NJ" CCW rotation. I shoot the G19 as accurately as my P6, as fast with half the reloads. It carries about the same on me (6', 250#) as my P6 OWB but not quite as comfortably IWB.... if I could. The G19 feels more compact for some dimensional reasoning and balance, I have always felt that the steel P6 just feels hefty of course, giving one a sense of larger proportions. I actually had a CZ PCR that felt smaller then both and was a dream to CCW, but it did not stay around for some reason, I think i sold it when I moved to from Ga.

The P6 does fit my hand like a glove and that feelin gives one confidence. I just like it, no reason to move it in my mind.

rellascout
March 31, 2010, 10:36 AM
Axemen and Rellascout, thanks for the info. In the interest of staying on topic, may I suggest we bring that discussion to a close now?

This can be said of all Sigs. From the P220 to the P239 the are all larger than they need to be. IMHO they are taller and wider in the slide as you mentioned. This does not mean that they are not great carry guns you simply have to chose your holster and concealment carefully.

rellascout
March 31, 2010, 10:42 AM
Don't mind Rellascout, he still refuses to believe that all P6's are government-contract P225's.

That is because they are not the same. I have illustrated this time and time again as you know. There is nothing wrong with the P6 besides the fact that if you get one that was put into service before 1981 might not feed hollowpoints well because the contract barrel used on them we designed for ball ammo not hollowpoints.

I am sorry that you still do not want to acknowledge the truth.

stoney1666
March 31, 2010, 12:45 PM
The reason I use the P38 mags for the range is they stick out about 3/16" and I have 2 P6 mags for CCW. The P38 mags work fine when modified.

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you live with your SIG P6?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!