Ruger 10/22 Reliability

PDA

sprice
March 28, 2010, 01:07 AM
How reliable is a Ruger 10/22 rifle supposed to be?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger 10/22 Reliability" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ruger700
March 28, 2010, 01:13 AM
Utterly reliable!!!!!!!

Nick5182
March 28, 2010, 01:15 AM
They are very reliable rifles. If you use good ammo, they'll go bang every time you pull the trigger and won't malfunction.

ijosef
March 28, 2010, 01:19 AM
Reliability is high. Maintain it properly and it'll last as long as you want it to.

Remember, guns are machines and are thus bound to fail or malfunction at some point, but the Ruger 10/22 is one of the most, if not the most popular .22LR rifle for a reason.

WTBguns10kOK
March 28, 2010, 01:49 AM
They're fine with most ammo, but I've found the Marlin 60 to be more reliable with more types of ammo.

elmerfudd
March 28, 2010, 03:04 AM
I'll be the odd man out here. I never found either of mine to be particularly reliable. I also watched a buddies jam the last time we were shooting.

In fairness however, they're no worse than any other semi-auto rimfire fed from a detachable magazine. Those little rimmed cartridges suck from a feeding standpoint and the rotating 10 round mag used on 10-22's is probably about the best design of any, (other than a tube magazine that is).

My experience was that the factory magazines worked OK, but all others sucked. That was a while back though and there might be some other decent aftermarket ones out there now.

Ol' KL
March 28, 2010, 03:24 AM
I think they're very reliable with the factory magazing.

The 30rnd mags seem to cause misfires when you get to the last few rounds

Jubjub
March 28, 2010, 05:07 AM
I ran about 7K rounds through three different 10/22s last year. There were a few failures to fire, which isn't uncommon in rimfires, just means that that one shell didn't have any priming compound where the firing pin hit. Otherwise, no problems.

Two out of those three guns have aftermarket barrels with Bentz chambers. Depending on the ammo used, those guns may not extract an unfired round from the chamber. That isn't really a malfunction, just a characteristic of the combination of a chamber that puts the bullet into the rifling, and the weak extractor on a semi auto.

In my experience, once a 10/22 is past its first few hundred rounds and well broken in, there are only two ways to get a 10/22 to malfunction. One is to use anything other than a factory magazine. The other is to use Remington ammo. It's not that their ammo is junk, it's just that there's something about the bullet lube that Remington uses that makes the magazine rotor stick. Back in the worst of the ammo drought, I tried to shoot a 550 pack box of Remington, because it was all the cheap plinking ammo I had left. By the time I gave up, I had seven factory magazines that would no longer feed anything, and had to be torn down and cleaned.

CajunBass
March 28, 2010, 07:25 AM
I'm sure mine have jammed from time to time, but not often enough for me to take much note of it.

drduc
March 28, 2010, 10:07 AM
I have over 30 22 rimfires and never had one any more reliable. Ammo is the key to absolute(as good as you can do with rimfire) reliability

SlamFire1
March 28, 2010, 10:18 AM
This rifle has been on the market since the early 60's. Lots of other designs from that era or later are out of production.

The primary contributor to the Ruger 10/22 reliability is the magazine. Ruger put machined steel lips in their magazine. Magazine design an aspect to gun design that is usually sidelined by manufacturers. Manufacturers spend a lot of time on cost and styling, then shovel out systems with cheap and unreliable feed systems.

The 10/22 is a simple blowback. In time, as with all semi auto 22's, condensed wax from the ammo will gum up the action.

At my local range there is a group of fanatical rimfire bench shooter dudes. They fill up 5 gallon buckets with brass. At least one of them has a target 10/22. I doubt his gun will ever wear out.

dagger dog
March 28, 2010, 10:49 AM
Every one that mentioned ammo and magazines are dead on for the reliability factor in the Ruger 10-22.

I would like to add: KEEP IT CLEAN !

There is a lot of controversy, on this subject especially with rimfires, but if you take care of you rifle it will take care of you

sprice
March 28, 2010, 07:12 PM
I keep mine very clean and also lubricated; it must be the aftermarket 25 round mag (with steel feed lips) and the cheap .22 ammo. I bring it out to the range and after a hundred rounds or so it starts failing to eject/feed every other round and i have to work the bolt manualy. I always hear how the gun is s'posed to be very reliable and I was wondering if I just got a ''Lemon." But I will keep all of your information in mind- thank y'all

tc54
March 28, 2010, 07:39 PM
i've had the same 10/22 since around 73-74'. in all those years it has failed to eject so few times that i can't remember even one. i live on a farm and carry that rifle in my pick-up daily. shoot it most days too. use good ammo and clean it a couple times a year and i suspect it will keep on shooting. i've had the most problems with the rem bulk box stuff. few with federal bulk box ammo, and none with win or cci. ymmv.

CZguy
March 29, 2010, 12:53 AM
I bring it out to the range and after a hundred rounds or so it starts failing to eject/feed every other round and i have to work the bolt manualy. I always hear how the gun is s'posed to be very reliable and I was wondering if I just got a ''Lemon."

I had the same problem with one of the three 10/22s that we own. It turned out (after trying everything else) to be the factory extractor. I replaced it with a Volquartsen extractor and it's run flawlessly ever since.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=363360

i've had the most problems with the rem bulk box stuff. few with federal bulk box ammo, and none with win or cci.

I've had similar results, but have pretty good luck with Federal bulk packs.

mljdeckard
March 29, 2010, 01:01 AM
I now have my dad's, which he proudly claims has fired about 50,000 rounds and even been cleaned once or twice.

It eats everything, and the only problems I have ever had with it were when I used aftermarket mags.

fireman 9731
March 29, 2010, 11:40 AM
As others have said, the magazine is the downfall of the Ruger 10-22.

Gregaw
March 29, 2010, 12:26 PM
Mine was horrible at first. Then I found that the extractor was chipped. After replacing that it is great with the standard 10 round rotary clip. I do have some trouble with the hi-cap magazines. They tend to shift back in the magazine well and not sit quite right sometimes. I've thought about trying to increase the spring strength on the piece that holds the magazine in place.

zhyla
March 29, 2010, 01:03 PM
In general they're as reliable as the ammo lets them be. But a buddy rented a 10/22 at a range one time. Jammed frequently. I don't think they really took much care of that gun.

frankge
March 29, 2010, 01:22 PM
had problems this weekend with my kid's "tactical". Tapco stock, scope, and 3 round mag. Using winchester 333's HP failed to feed all over. Switched to CCI mini mags RN and not one FTF/FTE.

Is it the HP or the round itself. Had the saem thing gon on with his Walther P-22.

ArmedBear
March 29, 2010, 01:28 PM
My experience is that 10/22 owners have very low expectations. A few of us were chatting about that at the local indoor club, where we have various matches during the colder months. I keep hearing things like, "You have to try a few magazines, and see what ammo it likes." I also hear that 1" at 25 yards is all you can expect from an inexpensive .22 semiauto.

My reaction to that is (and was, when I sold my 10/22), "My ass! I'll buy a rifle that actually works."

You'll hear that ALL .22s are finicky, and will only feed certain ammo, and that accuracy will only be good with some. That's BS. That's not even true of Ruger's own .22 pistols.

SlamFire1
March 29, 2010, 03:53 PM
I keep hearing things like, "You have to try a few magazines, and see what ammo it likes." I also hear that 1" at 25 yards is all you can expect from an inexpensive .22 semiauto.

The standard, cheap 10/22 is not a target rifle. The owners are not target shooters either. Most of them are rock busters or can killers and for them the accuracy of a factory barrel shoots inside their hold.

My 10/22 shot perfectly well for a squirrel gun. It either shot 1" at 25 yards or 50 yards. I forget. I had Volquartsen install one of his barrels and that made huge difference in target accuracy.

I could stick a round in the chamber of the factory barrel, press on the rim, and I could rock the round.

If I push a round in the Volquartsen barrel, I have to shoot it out or knock it out with a cleaning rod.

I have no doubt that I could shoot the factory barrel eons between cleaning. The match barrel gets cleaned when I get back from the range.

Squirrels were just as hard to hit after the barrel change as before. Darn tree rats must have reduced their target zones. ;)

CZguy
March 29, 2010, 04:35 PM
Squirrels were just as hard to hit after the barrel change as before. Darn tree rats must have reduced their target zones.

Many squirrels in my area are wearing the new body armor.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii299/badgerone/Squirrel20superman.jpg

bannockburn
March 29, 2010, 06:34 PM
My 30+ year old 10/22 has been absolutely reliable, provided I don't run Remington ammo through it. Everything else works just fine through it. Best accuracy results are with either CCI Mini-Mags or Wolf Match Target. Factory 10 round mags work the best with no problems to report. Aftermarket 20, 25, and 30 round mags usually have some issues every so often so I pretty much just stick with the factory mags.

RSVP2RIP
March 29, 2010, 06:53 PM
I had a bicentenial model that I got from a widow and it worked every time. It was never cleaned and the only thing that kept it from being 100% was that the oil hardened in the trigger plunger and you had to push the trigger forward after each shot. It now wears a new barrel, trigger group and stock but is still 100% reliable when fed ammo the match chamber will take.

jmortimer
March 29, 2010, 08:57 PM
Absolute reliability both in the design of the gun and especially the rotary magazine. The only issue is ammunition not the gun.

ArmedBear
March 30, 2010, 12:15 AM
The whole "blame the ammo" thing seems kind of silly when you put the same "bad" ammo in a Marlin 60 (much cheaper than the 10/22 these days), and it feeds perfectly and groups much better. That's why I sold my 10/22 and kept the 60.

None of my .22s give me trouble. The 10/22 did. It's out of here. I'd rather spend the $500 it would take to turn the 10/22 into an enjoyable rifle, on a different rifle that's better from the ground up.

And the rotary magazines are a great idea: 10 rounds, flush mount, easy to handle. I just wish they'd actually worked as well as I expected them to.

JeffLrrp
May 2, 2010, 11:10 AM
I have a very reliable 10/22. Mine is from 2006 and it has the aluminum trigger housing and aluminum barrel band. It will eat ANYTHING except cheap federal bulk pack. Even Remington Thunderbolts (eats them with gusto) and the cheapie underpowered Winchester '333' packs from Walmart prove to be no problem. Even with Federal bulk, I only experience a FTE or misfire every 15-20 rounds.

I went through 666 rounds of Winchester crap in one day with 2 (ammo-related) misfires. What can I say, my 10/22 is great :D:D

EDIT: My mags need cleaning every 500 rounds or so, but they are pretty easy to disassemble.

DeepSouth
May 2, 2010, 11:19 AM
I bought one for my son to shoot, I have not shot it a lot maybe 1,000 rounds but I have never seen it jam. He has shot it a lot, more rounds than I could even estimate, he has had 1 stovepipe other than that is has been 100% to the best of my knowledge.

I will add we only use the 10rnd factory mag, as I understand it aftermarket mags are not always reliable.

mokin
May 2, 2010, 11:30 AM
Mine is pretty reliable with the factory magazines. I can usually get through 700 rounds without cleaning it before it starts to misfire.

CraigC
May 2, 2010, 12:57 PM
They are extremely reliable. If you want a reliable "high capacity" magazine, get them from Tactical Innovations.

http://www.tacticalinc.com

Risky buisness
May 3, 2010, 12:17 AM
IN my experience, if one removes the paint from inside the reciever with carb cleaner adds a useable (aftermarket) bolt release and extended mag release (aftermarket) adds Tech Sights (aftermarket) and keeps several of the factory mags on hand to replace the ones whom need attention and seeks the best ammo for the indivigual rifle, there fairly reliable,( if one takes a spray can of Rem oil to flush the reciever when they clog up).
Thats reliaibility. Other wise, I find my Marlins don't require many of the "add ons to function well

LaserSpot
May 3, 2010, 12:57 AM
My 10/22s are very reliable. I have had problems using British and German ammo with soft lube in the Winter. The soft wax builds up inside the magazine; when it gets cold, it gets gummy. Fortunately, they can be disassembled for cleaning. I usually give the spring a little extra torque to compensate.

I did have to tweak my extractors to work with after-market barrels and reduced headspace bolts. A plastic-lip ramline magazine will make them jam, but I can't blame the guns for that.

Mr. Bojangles
May 3, 2010, 08:17 AM
I've had my 10/22 for about eight years and I cannot complain about it. The rifle has been utterly reliable with factory magazines. Aftermarket 10/22 magazines, on the other hand, have been the bane of my existence. Accuracy seems pretty good, 1.5 inch groups with factory iron sights at 50 meters.

madcratebuilder
May 3, 2010, 08:51 AM
I currently have three different 10/22's, a bench gun, an International and a Krinker Plinker toy. I'm very happy with each. The only hi-capacity mags that I have had work well are the TI 30 rounders, they are adjustable so you can get the proper fit in the mag well when using a after market stock.

Some shooters don't like them, just like some don't like S&W or Pythons. Some people would complain if they were hung with a new rope.

ClayinAR
May 3, 2010, 09:44 AM
Mine are more reliable using 40 grain HV. The lighter weights don't cycle well. Stingers cycle well but after I ran out of the 25 year old stuff accuracy went to hell. (with current manufactured Stingers)
510 Champions are more accurate and reliable for mine. Also cheaper; why buy Stingers that wont hit anything? 2 10/22's and several different barrels over the years have confirmed this.

Husker_Fan
May 3, 2010, 10:48 AM
Mine is flawless wit factory mags and most ammo I have tried. Federal bulk works great, and so does almost any of the more expesnive ammo. Remington Golden Bullet bulk packs give me, on average, one FTF per magazine. I don't buy it anymore.

CZguy
May 3, 2010, 02:07 PM
Remington Golden Bullet bulk packs give me, on average, one FTF per magazine. I don't buy it anymore.

I know what you mean. I've stopped accepting it even when it's free. I used to take other peoples left overs once the found out how it was. Not anymore, it's just gets my action too dirty.

wgaynor
May 3, 2010, 02:25 PM
I received mine when I was 12 ( I think). Shot the heck out of it for years. I'm 32 now...just cleaned it for the first time last year :D

I barely remember a failure to feed. I've have to replace the different magazines numerous times, and I really miss the days when you could buy a brick of ammo for $10 :(

Oh yeah...mine is still as accurate as the first day I received it. I really didn't know how accurate it was capable of being until I placed a scope on it last year.

KodiakBeer
May 3, 2010, 03:08 PM
I've had mine for better than 15 years and shot untold thousands of rounds through it. Every once in a great while (like once a year, maybe) I'll hose out the action with wd40, wipe it down, put in a little oil, run a patch through the bore. I just do that because I feel guilty, not because it's malfing. I have a couple of those goofy banana mags and it will hiccup with those, but with the factory 10 rounder, it's 100%.

I've seen some complaints on this board and others about newer 10/22's, so maybe Ruger needs to look to their QC?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger 10/22 Reliability" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!