Milksop Nation - An Essay

PDA

Chris Rhines
January 21, 2003, 01:04 PM
http://www.shelleconomistprize.com/essays/Milksop_Nation_Jack_Gordon.pdf

Comments?

- Chris

If you enjoyed reading about "Milksop Nation - An Essay" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ReadyontheRight
January 21, 2003, 01:55 PM
Great article. Thanks Chris!

MPFreeman
January 21, 2003, 03:10 PM
Good read.

Soap
January 21, 2003, 03:20 PM
I like the part where the author states: "And who did this even though, from a safety standpoint, the whole enterprise should have been illegal." I also like the comparsion between a man's fear and a dog's fear. Great article.

Calamity Jane
January 21, 2003, 10:55 PM
An excellent read. Thanks for sharing!

Justin
January 22, 2003, 01:24 AM
Definately worth the read. I think that there's more than a dollop of insight into the modern American mindset in those scant pages.

NewShooter78
January 22, 2003, 06:32 AM
Great read. With the exception of one minor faulty detail, this is an excelent article. Is the Economist a readily available newspaper, or is it somewhat hard to find? I've never heard of it before.

Soap
January 22, 2003, 01:47 PM
NewShooter78- I'm pretty sure that "The Economist Newspaper" is the same thing as the magazine The Economist. If so, you can pretty much find this magazine anywhere in the civilized world. The magazine is quite interesting and the format tends towards laissez-faire capitalism.

NewShooter78
January 22, 2003, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the info, I'll look for a copy the next time I'm at a good news stand.

nualle
January 22, 2003, 03:18 PM
A fine rant. And like all good rants, it overstates its case.
Small wonder if Osama bin Laden expected the entire American edifice to collapse along with the New York towers the moment he showed us something genuinely scary. We gave him every reason to believe it would.
With this, and with the Challenger disaster reference, Jack Gordon makes light of American resilience. The fact is, though, that the space shuttle program was not scrubbed. We found the problem, fixed it, and are still sending people up on that "Rube Goldberg contraption of breathtaking audacity."

Bin Laden may have thought we'd crumble after 9/11. Granted, many of our responses (e.g., USA PATRIOT act, etc.) haven't been helpful, but we ain't crumbled.

another okie
January 22, 2003, 09:22 PM
Rich people throughout history have been overprotective of themselves, their property, and their children. Almost everyone in the U.S. is rich by historical or world standards, so most of us are overprotective. No real cure is available. Eventually the barbarians will come over the wall and destroy us and the cycle will start over.

If you enjoyed reading about "Milksop Nation - An Essay" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!